Hotel with a vegetarian restaurant and lounge. Small, varied menu, plus daily special. Try the beetroot soup. Expanded menu and clearly marked vegan options since fall 2012. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, European, German, Beer/Wine, Wine

First Review by Stevie
rogueavocado
rogueavocado

Disappointing and limited vegan selections

2 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2014

I would have rated this only one out of five of the site would let me. I was delighted to see this vegetarian restaurant a block from my hotel to discover their vegan options were not only limited but unappetising. Most of their vegan items were appetisers and salads, and they offered zero pastas, pizzas or even deserts! I left without ordering, very disappointed especially given they had a handful of vegan antipasto options but for some reason chose not to offer vegan antipasto, only vegetarian. When we left, the waiter pointed and told us, "You can get meat down there." When I said it was because I'm vegan, he said the menu is half vegan, when it reality it is less than 49%, and out of those selections I found only one assuaging. As well, the food may be delicious as some reviewers say, but 10 euro for miso soup and 15 for samosas is ridiculous. Vegans should head to Max Prett about 10 minutes away instead.

Pros: Close to downtown
Cons: Limited Selections, Expensive, No vegan dessert
Veggienator
Veggienator

veggie gem in Munich

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2014

I was visiting Munich couple of weeks ago and looked up this place in advance. The place lived up to the hype - great food and quality in a very nice part of town. I had the beat soup and a dish called Maroccan Sunset. Delishious!

Pros: great selection of dishes , English menu available , great location
Cons: no wifi

DaniM
DaniM

Great food, huge variety

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

The quality and taste of the meals are definitely amazing. They offer a huge variety of dishes and the ones i've tried already are that yummy! The prices for the meals are more expensive i'd say, but ok, you'll at least get a outstanding taste for your money.

britred11
britred11

Great location, great food

4 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2014

The nenu here is huge and accommodates all different cuisines, Italian, Indian, German etc. Being a vegan I was a bit disappointed about the limited options available but I was able to find a vegetarian option that they were able to veganize for me. I tried the "Save the Tuna" Soy Tuna Pizza made with a spelt dough was amazingly good.I loved the restaurant and the ambience it has with vaulted ceilings, of which the only drawback was, that it was also quite loud. All in all a very recommendable restaurant

Pros: High quality food, Big menu for vegetarians, Ambience
Cons: too noisy
unwesen
unwesen

Very nice food in a good central location

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2014

Prinz Myshkin is our default veggie restaurant in Munich. Prices are okay (a little high), food is very good, and the vegan selection is better than at most place. All in all, we love it!

Pros: Vegan options, Location
Cons: Price
AmiP
AmiP

Excellent main dishes, very expensive

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

We were two vegetarians visiting Munich and were delighted to see this menu! We ordered the guacamole for a starter, and tofu stroganoff and zucchini blossoms for our mains. We finished off with strudel for dessert. The main dishes were fantastic, but the strudel was a bit mushy and the guacamole was bland (although the chips and salsa were fantastic). We enjoyed our experience and the decor of the restaurant was lovely. But it was very pricey. I would splurge and return here if I visit Munich again, just be prepared for the bill!

Pros: Modern, clean decor
Cons: Pricey
Fox_to
Fox_to

Tasty food and great atmosphere

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2014

Nice vegetarian retaurant with vegan options,right in the city centre and close to the main commercial streets.
Tasty dishes in big portions and a wide choice of yummy salads.
I tried it on a Thursday evening and it was really full, so i advice booking in advance.

Pros: nice atmosphere, very big hall, staff is very kind
Cons: a bit expensive
Kevin_C
Kevin_C

Been there a few times, not impressed

2 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

In short: Nice place, boring food.

I've been there a few times, and never found the food anything better than average, and neither did the people I was with. If I want bland vegetarian food, i'll go to a normal restaurant. Maybe i've just been unlucky, but i'm not going to go there any more. The last time I was there was 2012, so maybe they've improved.

In Munich, I would go to Max Pett for vegan food or Co-operativa for veg-friendly dishes. Both are much much tastier, though more casual places.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Nice decoration
Cons: Food boring
leia
leia

Enjoyable but expensive

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2013

It was our families first time to Munich and we were very happy to have successfully used the happycow app to locate this restaurant early in the day. We made a reservation for 6 pm. The lounge is large with comfortable seating and quite busy. This suited us as we have three children and did not want to be a bother to other diners as our children were the only ones in the restaurant. The menu had a variety of items and many vegan meals as well. The fresh juices were a hit even at 5 euros. There was a sushi bar which was lovely despite the nori being a little chewy. The food was delicious (especially after a week of navigating typical meat filled German/Austrian menus). The vegetables were fresh and the food was well prepared; it arrived on time. The server was polite and knew about the menu to help with decisions and offer recommendations. He even remembered our name when we returned for our reserved time hours later.
My only real complaint was the price. Happy cow has 2 carrots for price, it should be 3. Most main meals were around 17 euros. This night out was 100 euros for my family of 5, normally in Europe we spend half that on supper.

Pros: Fresh , Sushi bar, Comfortable
Cons: Expensive, Must make reservations
goamiez
goamiez

nicht so unser

2 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2013

uns zweien hat das essen leider nicht so sehr geschmeckt - hatten beide etwas asiatisches. und empfanden es somit für den preis zu teuer. so groß ist die auswahl an veganenen sachen dann doch nicht auf der karte-als nachspeise gab es nichts veganes an diesem nachmittag. mir wars auch zu laut dort und aufgrund der fülle hats etwas gedauert mit der bestellung aber das essen kam recht schnell.

clary
clary

excellent atmosphere

4 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2013

i like the atmosphere of prinz myshkin - it always feels like a special, luxurious occasion eating there! very expensive (for my taste) as well but once in a while it's ok :)
i tried the (non-vegan) fake-thuna pizza, which was really good! they also have many vegan dishes.

Daffffff
Daffffff

Very nice restaurant. Food tasty, great service.

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

We really liked this restaurant. Food very tasty -there is a mix of styles, with a few local dishes, I think. Atmosphere is great -really liked the room, and how it is decorated. It is slightly upmarket compared to a typical casual vege restaurant, and the prices reflect that. It seemed reasonable value, considering what they offer.
The staff were very nice -they also spoke good English, and asked if we wanted the English language menu. We went there twice, and will do again if we go back to Munich.

Pros: Great food, Atmosphere, Service
greenhexi
greenhexi

Disappointing for vegans and extremely loud

2 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2012

The place itself is very loud, crowded and not inviting.
The food: there is some vegan food, that can be expected. But when you gather all items from the menu you will find that they
are mostly the same: some mishmash. There is none of the vegetarian varietly availbale for vegans.
I don't really get it, many of the vegetarian items could be made vegan easily - and would be, in other places (cities).
But they dont do this, must be Munich...

Cons: Small vegan variety, Very noisy, Uninviting location
hack_man
hack_man

More than just beetroot soup. Good for Vegans

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2012

Sadly I was put off by the negative reviews of this place sayng it was pretentious and not good for vegans. This is definitely not the case. After 3 visits to Munich we decided to go and disregard some of the drivel written about this place that put us off going. We were originally going to go the Royal Kebabhaus for a vegan doner but having found a €10 note decided to treat ourselves. The experience was fantastic and it was a pleasure to eat here. We went for the ravioli (€12.90) from the daily special board which was sensational and a scintillating vegan potato gnocchi in tomato sauce (€11.70) from the regular menu. This was washed down with the cheapest glass of white wine on the menu (€5.30) and large bottle of white beer (€4.50). Yes, Prinz Myshkin is expensive but I can understand why due to the huge selection of excellent and detailed food on offer. It is an impressive operation with huge attention to detail each meal being made with affection. If you want to keep it cheap, however, they do a daily lunchtime special for only €7.50 which may be vegan on the day of visit. PM is an elegant place with semi-friendly efficient and professional staff who work their socks off when it is busy. Luckily, we visited early on the national holiday 1st November 2012 and the atmosphere was calm and relaxed. I would definitely come here again on future visits to fabulous Munich. PM is certainly miles cheaper than the extortionate Max Pett which doesn't even serve booze!!

Pros: food, elegance, atmosphere
Cons: expensive
martinm
martinm

Micro Wave...

2 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2012

The restaurant is in the center of Munich - only a couple of minutes from Marienplatz. After an 'update' of the interior the restaurant feels a little bit colder for me...

The menu card is long and the daily special is always an option.

Sadly, I have learned that they have a micro wave in the kitchen. For me this is a no-go.

Updated from previous review on Thursday November 01, 2012

Pros: nice menu card, good location
Cons: micro wave, expensive
taylork
taylork

Almost hilariously bad service

2 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

I will start out by saying the food here is really good and I found the vegan options to be enough to satisfy. Overpriced, but still good. The service however was BAD. So bad we laughed about it at first, as the waitstaff repeatedly ignored us and we saw people who came in after us sitting in different sections get their food before we did. Was it everyone's first day of working here? Did they only hire people with crippling social skills? After awhile we just asked for the bill (which also took a really long time to get) and didn't even care that they charged us for bread we didn't even get. We paid for it just to get out of there!

Pros: good food
Cons: slow, inattentive service, overpriced
darcywallace
darcywallace

1-start worthy

2 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2012

I agree with the other reviews : the slow-paced service, soggy food presentation, and also the attitude of the wait staff make this restaurant one of munich's most disappointing. not only for vegetarians, but for all guests.

Ajolote
Ajolote

Disapointed

2 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2012

This restaurant is located right in the heart of Munich. It is very spacious and beautifully decorated. When we got there we had a good feeling. However, that feeling was dissipated by the slowness of the service. It took ages to order our food and get it on the table.
Where do I start? I ordered an expensive glass of wine and it was terrible. The bartender tried it and agreed with me. He opened another bottle and it was just as bad, so I drank water. My very expensive entree was rice wrapped in a green plant swimming in soy sauce. Needless to say, my mom and I just couldn't eat it. The rest of the food was bland and the cake dry. And the check for 4 was more than 100 euros for one appetizer, four entrees, beverages and one lousy cake.

Pros: location, decor
Cons: price, taste, service
juzba
juzba

Mixed feelings

3 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

Lovely, modern place, cool atmosphere and the cakes look wonderful and tempting - but for a lactose intolerant person, looking at them only was a torture.
it is a lovely place to have an afternoon drink with friends.
So, now, vegan options.
Vegetables with tofu and mushrooms - the latter ones were scarse. Veggies however were very well cooked. Don't know why it has to be spicy at all.

The tofu teriyaki was excellent - imaginative but not as tasty as expected.

The beetroot soup - very nice.
BUT
the rice - I am still perplexed how could something that looked like rice not taste like one. And I was so looking forward for a bowl of rice.

Highly Recommendable for vegetarians. Questionable for vegans - with digestive problems. Macrobiotic followers (out of health and only subsequently love reasons) - you can find something, but stick to vegan soups and main dishes (ask separately for not spicy). So my grade is relevant for vegans/macrobiotic followers

chicintelligente
chicintelligente

Lovely Interior

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

I love the interior of the place: it is roomy, with very high ceilings and tasteful, modern decor. It is located right near the city centre, and its decor and atmosphere make it a perfect place to meet up with friends or to bring guests.

The food is also good, albeit it is expensive for what you get (that is, other veg restaurants in the city serve similar items for less). However, the food is well-presented, and everything I had was great. For vegans, everything is clearly marked. There is a good selection of vegan salads, appetisers, and soups. I personally recommend the beetroot soup with coconut milk. As for entrees, most are centred around protein-dense (tofu, seitan, nuts, cheese) dishes, which are not my favourite, but there are also some dishes leaning toward grain-based foods and vegetables, some of which are also vegan. Vegans will have little to choose for dessert, but that did not really upset me as I like a break between dinner and dessert; however, vegetarians and omnis have a large selection of cakes, custard-based, fruit-based and ice-cream-based desserts to choose from.

Pros: Great Decor, Central Location, Accommodating, Vegan-Friendly Staff
Cons: A bit Pricey
lewisjc
lewisjc

Spacious and good food

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

I liked the venue as normally when you go to a vegan / veggie restaurant you are squeezed into a cardboard box but this had load of room and overall good venue
Surprised by the other reviews as I found there was enough vegan options to choose from and the food was excellent
Although they did have the Buffalo cheese as vegan but admitted it was a mistake

Pros: nice environment, food was good
feorag
feorag

Disappointing

2 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2012

I had read the other reviews, but figured that despite the few vegan options, it would suit the omnivorous other half. Quite frankly, I've got a little sick of watching him chow down on enormous chunks of pig's leg all week even if my half of the deal does involve asparagus.

The first shocker was the price of the drinks, which looked normal until you saw the size of them - tiny. A shame, there were lots of interesting things there, but I stuck to bottled beer (organic spelt beer, admittedly).

For starters, I ordered the vegan soya sticks and he had the guacamole and chips. Okay, this is Bavaria, but they were enormous! Mine was great, but the tortilla chips were of the bought-in spicy variety and the guacamole was bland and totally homogenous.

My main course was the Ayurvedic Thali. Big mistake. I'm not in the UK, and this is not an Indian eatery filled with people from India or of Indian descent. The curry was revolting, made from curry powder, and not the restaurant's own freshly ground, either. The aubergine pakora was nice, the poppadom good and the chutney spicy. The samosa wasn't bad, the filling reminding me more of masala dosa stuffing. The other thing I could not identify - some sort of tikki, I think.

Himself chose the sheep cheese pizza. He hadn't been paying attention when I said it had peppers on it and he thought the menu meant fake sausage of some sort. Even then, what appeared were very mild pickled chilis, dumped on the pizza with no effort at presentation. The olives also had their stones in, and he felt the whole combination was not particularly nice.

The staff were excellent. They were there when needed, not when they weren't, and put up politely with my terrible German. The price, though - €56 for the two of us! Germany's not a cheap country, but that's a bit much.

Pros: good staff, nice building
Cons: expensive, bland food, not much vegan
VeggieMon
VeggieMon

Stuffy staff, unremarkable food

2 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2012

Sadly this seems to be the norm for vegetarian restaurants in Munich. Charging 8.5 Euro for a few raw vegetables and a smattering of subpar hummus seems to me exorbitant.

The wait staff were aloof - I'd even go so far as to say they were a bit rude. They weren't particularly happy to entertain questions and seemed annoyed at the prospect of actually serving food, nevermind making the experience enjoyable or memorable.

I ate and left quickly, and was glad to be out of there. Pretty nice looking place, but the ambiance/atmosphere detracted from any appeal. This place is more of a scene I think than an attempt to provide a truly worthwhile vegetarian experience.

Pros: Appearance
Cons: Prices, Service, Food
tsap
tsap

Better than sausage

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2012

Husband and I visited in November. After a long day of travel we were famished and happy to find a vegetarian place for our first night in Munich. The restaurant itself is nice and service was good. Spouse had the tofu stroganoff, which the waiter suggested was a "signature dish." I am not a fan of big slabs of tofu, but he enjoyed it and I thought the sauce was very tasty. I made the mistake however of ordering crepes al forno (I will blame on fatigue). It was dripping in cheese and sauce and I could barely eat it. If you don't mind high (really high) fat dishes, it was probably okay. I would return, but would definitely try other items on the menu.

WarmWhite
WarmWhite

Grand, Warm and Creative

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2012

Prinz Myshkin, located in the heart of Munich, is popular with the Bavarians for a reason. The grand arched room, its high ceiling softly lit by disc-shaped chandeliers, is the perfect dining environment. It is a particularly suitable place for dining with non-vegeterians.

The extensive menu offers vegetarian and vegan versions of dishes from the German and Italian cuisines as well as the plant-based cuisines of India, Southern China and Thailand. A hand written list of specials is rotated weekly or daily. The wine menu is extensive and the service is genteel.

The health conscious will be glad to find some wholesome, plant-based dishes, which rely on whole grains. Processed "mock" meats are kept to a minimum, and many dishes can be served dairy-free.

The restaurant can get crowded on the weekend, so reservations are recommended. A lunch for two (without wine) can cost 35 Euros.

Pros: Ambiance, Service, Plant-based dishes
Cons: Reservation recommended
estefinparis
estefinparis

Mainly vegetarian

3 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

This restaurant has a great atmosphere and was a life saver for me, as I was invited for dinner at the Bavarian restaurant next door and was able to pop in here for dinner first. It is mainly a vegetarian restaurant with just a few vegan options, the food is good and the service quick.

Birdie Nam Nam
Birdie Nam Nam

Stuck up and vegan unfriendly

2 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2011

I have been here twice, a few months apart. The first time I sat in the big room, which is really the best thing about this restaurant. The place looks nice. the food was okay, but nothing to write home about (particularly if you live in SF!).

The menu is really a slap in the face of vegans. It seems they really try hard to include only a very limited vegan food selection. Be warned: many steakhouses are more vegan friendly than Prinz Myshkin.

The second time around my wife and I chose to walk out after being seated in the small and much less glamorous back room and being ignored by the waitress for 25 minutes. Mind you, I had reserved a table 2 days in advance and showed up on time. I don't walk out of restaurants very easily, but I do expect more from a supposedly nice restaurant. This was some of the worst service I had ever seen.
[edit by staff]

Pros: Big room has nice ambience
Cons: Vegan unfriendly, Stuck up, Terrible waiting
andrea
andrea

Why bother

2 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2010

Sorry I just don't get this at all. If you are vegetarian, there is nothing that interesting here that you can't get in a regular restaurant. Most of it was pasta (none of it vegan), or stir-fry and some other Asian influenced food. So you can get those things at a regular Italian or Asian restaurant. There was almost nothing vegan on this menu. There were zero vegan desserts.

We walked in and were ignored for a few minutes and finally got someone's attention who made us feel like we should have called for a reservation, but there was plenty of room in the restaurant (aside from the few reserved tables). It's a huge single room with a very sterile atmostphere. The servers spoke minimal English. We would've left, but had already ordered a beer--at twice the price of any other restaurant we ate in in Germany. I ended up with a cold grain salad, it literally tasted like it was dished up from my local deli for $7 a pound. It was a tiny serving for eu12. My husband had the involtini, which was also expensive and very small, but he said it was good. The appetizer was some little seitan kebabs that were quite good. But overall, it's like a place for people who want to "try vegetarian food." Cruelty-free eaters can do way better.

Pros: Location
Cons: Prices, Lack of vegan options
ColinS
ColinS

Disappointing meal experience

2 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2010

Went to Prinz Myshkin this evening. Wasn't that busy as during Oktoberfest. Restaurant is pleasant and comfortable, though food and service did not meet same standards. Waiting staff were not particularly attentive and not all meals shown on the menu were available (not so surprising) but also certain beers were also unavailable as well. There were three in our party and on the whole the food was ok, though the vegetables in horseradish sauce was particularly unpleasant and much of the dish had to be left. The sauce was virtually cream with only the smallest hint of horseradish; the chard wasn't correctly washed with grit still in it; the broccoli and cauliflower were overcooked. Considering the positive reviews this restaurant has received, I assume my visit was simply unlucky and possibly not in keeping with their usual standards. Sadly, on this occasion however, I left the restaurant disappointed and unsatisfied. The food of the other two guests was good, however they also agreed that the level of service on this occasion was poor. Nevertheless, it was good there is a restaurant in Munich aiming to provide good quality vegetarian food - just on this occasion they could have done better!

Pros: Selection of food, Decor
Cons: Execution of food, Attentiveness of staff
tumbleweed67
tumbleweed67

I love this place

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2010

I've been to the Myshkin twice and even brought friends there (who are non-Vegetarians). The selection is huge, service genuine and friendly and the atmosphere calm and upscale (but not too much).

I genuinly recommend this place and look forward to my next Munich visit!

Pros: Selection, Service, Food
aclasse
aclasse

Smart but welcoming as well

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2010

Beforehand I felt slightly worried that we weren't dressed up enough for this place, but it was fine. We went to several veggie places during a recent weekend in Munich and I think I liked this one best equal with Kopfeck (which is a totally different kind of place).

I had the beetroot soup that someone else here already recommended, followed by involtini teriyaki (had to look up "mangold leaves" afterwards but they tasted good). Both were interestingly flavoured - the main course was a touch salty but everything I ate in Munich seemed to be, so maybe it's the local preference?

The current menu has a reasonable choice for vegans; not too many vegan desserts I don't think but I didn't get to that stage.

Service was efficient but relaxed and no one seemed to object to my trainers :-) I would certainly go back there next time I'm in Munich.

Pros: Good atmosphere, Nice food, Friendly staff
Cons: Not the cheapest, but good value, More vegan cakes and desserts please!
mlcats
mlcats

a special night out

5 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2009

When we want to treat ourselves, we go to Prinz Myshkin. It is stylish, elegant, and the food is delicious. It is a little pricey, but not nearly as expensive as fashionable non-vegetarian restaurants. Highly recommended.

Pros: excellent food, elegant, extensive menu
Cons: pricey
una
una

Great!

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2009

Me and my boyfried (not a vegetarian) visited Munich in April 2009. The first day in Munich we came over Prinz Myshkin, and ended up eating there every day during our stay. I would say this was some of the best vegetarian meals I've ever had, and my meatloving boyfried still talks about this place. The meals are solid (not just salads or wok), like bief stroganoff. The staff was also great (like Mike the guy from Hamburg). I see that some of the other reveiwers think this place is pricy, but I would rather pay a little bit extra for a great meal!

Pros: quality food
stegh
stegh

Pretty good but a little pricey

3 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2009

the staff was friendly and offered a list of dishes that could be made vegan... not an extensive list, but enough to satisfy. The lentil soup was delicious, the miso soup too salty. Salads were big, but the arugula salad is pretty much a big plate of only arugula. Atmosphere is nice but a little noisy. Better veg options nearby at Vegelangelo and Tushita

Pros: vegan options, good soups, big salads
Cons: a little expensive, a little bit noisy, a lot of non-vegan
KateMc
KateMc

Not to be missed - so good!

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2008

I was in Munich for 3 days and ate here twice because it was that good. The tofu mushroom stroganoff is not to be missed. the soups are all delicious. The samosas's are unbelievable. Go eat here, you will wish you'd found it sooner.

Pros: excellent food, nice variety, seating in and out
lysi
lysi

Sophisticated enough for business meals

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2008

Went there for dinner on a recent visit to Munich and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. It's centrally located, not far from the beer halls and pedestrianized area. Menus are available in German and English, vegan dishes marked as such. Some of the cold dishes and desserts are also displayed behind the counter at the bar. Dessert menu was limited to one vegan cake (vegan fruit gateau) and personally, I wouldn't recommend it as I found the base to be quite dry. If you are on business and looking for a veggie restaurant, I would recommend Prinz Myshkin. However, if you've got a bit more money and looking for a all vegan restaurant, I'd go to Saf at Zerwirk.

Pros: High quality, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Limited vegan options
Marco
Marco
  • non-vegetarian

Princely indeed

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2007

This place has the modern version of a Central European "Grand Cafe" atmosphere. Fortunately it is not only about style and location: they have a competent staff and serve great meals. We will definitely go there again if we return to Munich.

Pros: great cooking, wonderful atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Prinz Myshkin: