Prashad Chaat House

Vegetarian Indian restaurant. Family chaat house serving traditional Gujerati food to the locals, busy at lunch time. Try the masala dosa. Current location since Dec 2012; previously located on Horton Grange Rd in Bradford. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out
137 Whitehall Road, Drighlington (King St)
Drighlington, England BD11 1AT
01274-575893

Open Tue-Fri 11.00-15.00, 18.00-22.30, Sat-Sun 11.00-22.30.

First Review by DJAlbertFreeman
pazbob
pazbob

Love

4 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2013

Prashad is beautiful. However I still haven't forgiven Gordon Ramsey for taking Bradford's best kept secret and shoving it into the limelight. The food is out of this world, if you want cheap, greasy, average rubbish go elsewhere. Think fine dining.

Prashad is a little expensive but it's relative, nowhere else will you get this quality of food for the price.

It pleases me that they chose in Bradford when they moved.

After a recent experience regarding an unanswered complaint I can only award four cows.

Pros: Fine food, Beautiful restaurant, Community minded
chlough
chlough

A step above anywhere I've eaten before.

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

Prashad is new to the area, but an established restaurant. The staff were amazing friendly, the chef came out and asked how the meal was. Dishes are different, amazingly tasty, well presented. Honestly, steps above anywhere I've eaten before. Locally brewed beers are available also.

Pros: Friendly, Tasty, Value
braddersfromtheblock
braddersfromtheblock

Over-rated

2 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

To be honest I think this place is well over-rated and can't understand why people rave about it. You can get far better curry other places in Bradford.

I went with a friend, the waiter brought us a huge bottle of mineral water which we didn't ask for. Apart from that service was slow and surly, and the food we had was virtually tasteless. Hardly spiced at all and well overpriced for what it was - I could have made better myself at home. We left most of our food and went home disappointed.

Give it a miss if you want good curry [edit by staff].

Cons: bad food, slow service, overrated
nigeltart
nigeltart

Outstanding curry house, even in Bradford!

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

We shared the vegan mixed starters - every one would get five stars! Just spicy enough to get me blowing my nose 3/4 of the way through (my barometer!)

I tried the massala dosa and it was gorgeous. There's a giant version on the menu, which must need a dustbin lid to serve it on.

I think over half the menu was vegan.

They're slowly getting over the Gordon Ramsey hype, but still really busy, especially early evening. Online booking was useful. We booked a few hours in advance on a Saturday evening and they still had free tables from about 9. They have a waiting room across the road - what the americans might call quaint ;-)

I used to live round the corner 20 years ago. If this place had been there back then, I'd have been a) 20 stone and b) severely overdrawn!

Pros: Top Indian food!, Good value, Huge vegan selection
Cons: Busy
TravellingPud
TravellingPud

Great food!

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

We went here for a birthday dinner and we weren't disppointed. The food was delicious, the service was good. Just a shame that booking has to be done so far in advance and table turnover is such that lingering is not possible.

Pros: delicious, so many options
Cons: Slightly rushed
mark pop
mark pop

Prashad - you can book online

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2011

This was a great little restaurant even before Gordon Ramsay voted it best Indian restaurant in Britain. Probably wise to book especially at weekends http://prashad.co.uk/
Always have vegan dishes and last time I was there they had vegan ice cream too

Pros: consistently great food, friendly service
Cons: small (but cosy), might need your sat nav to find it
SallyP
SallyP

The best Indian restaurant in the UK - official

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2010

According to Gordon Ramsey, Prashad is the best indian restaurant in the UK. I can confirm this as I go regularly. Not only is it the best but it's 100% veggie too with lots of vegan options. The dosa is out of this world. If you're any where near Bradford, go, you'll not be disapointed. Mind you, now that they've had such good publicity on national TV, you may need to book!!!!

Pros: great food, great staff, great price
  • specialdosa specialdosa

I am sorry Sally. I saw the programme and went at lunchtime on the Thursday with my mid 80's Mum. The people are lovely but the food was poor. We tried two of the 'signature' dishes. I visit Tooting in S London regularly and there are 3 small chains of S Indian restaurants there. On average, but not every time, the food in any of them is 40% better AND 40% cheaper. I went to Bradford U and my Mum lives there but on this evidence there is no good Indian cuisine in Bradford.

Sbfox
Sbfox

Satisfied

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2010

Having been passing earlier this week (like I have done many times when working over Bradford way) I gave in to temptation and decided to try Prashad (my partner would love a trip there but had to test the water first! - long way for us to go from York). Having survived Bradfords driving horrors, I failed to notice there were two entrances and rather than selecting takeaway I got the restaurant door! It was just after lunchtime so was not too busy, waiter was extrememly helpful and menu clearly marks plenty of vegan options. I selected the Burger with masala chips. I know this is a fairly basic meal, but everything About it was spot-on! Masala chips got the best of me 3/4 of the way through, and the waiter promptly got me some free tapwater! I managed to finish. I can't comment on the other meals, but my experience was very good. Staff seemed polite, welcomed me, and unlike some Indian restaurants - talked about the food with great enthusiasm. I will be further judging upon my familys return visit! I just couldn't spot anything my daughter (3yr old) may be able to handle, although I think the staff may be accomodating due to enthusiastic attitude so will update my review as soon as I've revisited.

Pros: Staff Friendly, Vegan Menu Options
Cons: My 3yr old daughter may struggle

yummm

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2007

it's delightful, I've never eaten anything I didn't love in this place, my favourite place to eat out in bradford

alansmith100
alansmith100

Worth a visit

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2007

We visited prashad after seeing the Ad on the back of bus, we never knew it was there! The food is really excellent and very good value for money. Like other reviewers have said, they make real Indian food, the head chef is a woman and has won many awards, she came out and chatted to us whilst we ate. Food well balanced sices fresh ingredients. Superb! It does get very busy so booking is essential at the weekend.

Pros: Great food, Not expensive, very nice staff
Cons: gets very warm

Excellent Cuisine

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2007

I went with a group last Sunday and the choice was excellent. Service was excellent. Food was out of this world, best choice in Bradford. Even meat eaters enjoyed vegetarian food. I certainly recommend going to Prashad Chaat House.

Pros: Menu choice, Nice staff
Cons: Small venue
missdipsy
missdipsy

Very interesting & tasty range of food

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2007

Very wide range of interesting, authentic and tasty food - not your average curry house! The only negatives to our visit were the lack of food suitable for young kids (mine can handle a tiny bit of chilli, but even the things that were recommended to us as being mild were a bit too spicy for their taste - however this is a problem encountered in many Indian restaurants, so Prashad is no worse than anywhere else in this respect!) and the lack of alcohol (again, this is not uncommon, but one member of our party was very disappointed!). Despite the fact that the kids couldn't handle the heat, it wasn't "blow-your-head-off" spicy, so I think most people except those with very delicate constitutions would be happy! Very good value for money, and friendly staff too.

Pros: Value for money, Wide range of food, Tasty & interesting
Cons: Too spicy for some kids, No alcohol allowed, Small restaurant
DJAlbertFreeman
DJAlbertFreeman

The Pinnacle

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2006

Prashad really is the pinnacle of vegetarian and vegan Indian cuisine. They make dishes you simply can't get at 'regular' Indian restaurants. And even the stuff you can, like tarka dhal and roti, are far better than anywhere else in Bradford. And for anyone who has seen just how many Indian restaurants there are in Bradford, that's no mean feat!

The staff are lovely, always remember me when I go in. The prices are slightly higher than the Bradford average, but all things are relative. You can still get a marvellous meal for under £6.

Pros: amazing food, lovely people, I live in Bradford
Cons: size of restaurant

Dear Owner and Manager of Prashad Chaat House: