CLOSED: Prana Cafe

Newton raw food restaurant cafe. Extensive menu (see website). Re-opened Jan 2012 BUT REPORTED SHUT DOWN AGAIN JAN 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, All Raw, Juice bar, American, Take-out
292 Centre St
Newton, Massachusetts 02448
617-527-7726

First Review by rnoack
misterimpatient
misterimpatient

Prana was good, but is now closed

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

I enjoyed eating here but they have gone out of business.

jonpaladin
jonpaladin

Mind blowing

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2012

If you have a chance, go here. We went here randomly during a road trip. They obviously take pride in being the most awesome vegan place in the world.

Maraw
Maraw
  • raw

Kale Chips & Lasagna

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2011

I recommend the Kale Chips & Lasagna! Yum!

lisalisa08
lisalisa08

Great raw food

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2010

Prana Cafe offers a delicious selection of raw food and drinks at a reasonable price. I am not sure if the other reviewer has ever eaten at a raw place, as I am from NYC and believe me Prana Cafe is not overpriced. 6 of us went to dinner and ordered an appetizer (the olive tapenade)which was delicious. They were happy to add at no cost a plate full of gluten free crackers for my sister. We each ordered an entree and we ordered 3 desserts to share. Everything was delicious and filling. The bill was $137. When my sister and I go to Pure Food & Wine in NYC we pay more than that for just the two of us. You pay for good quality ingredients!! The service was friendly and I am going back this AM for some of their yummy fresh juices.

Pros: great food, good service, area for the kids to play in w/ a tv!
rnoack
rnoack

great, but expensive !

Posted on 02 / 09 / 2010

I decided to try out prana cafe after searching online for local vegan places I had not been to. I went on sunday late-morning/lunch time and was able to find street parking. I walked in and did not have to wait at all. There were about 3 other tables occupied at this time. The atmosphere is pretty good. There is an area for kids to play if you had kids, etc. Everything is very casual. When looking at the menu everything sounded really great, but what got me were the prices!! This place is expensive!! I know it's raw, but seriously, expect to pay at least twenty to twenty-five dollars a person.

Eventually I ordered a dish called "warm lasagna" not having had much raw cuisine before I was a little scared but excited to try it. It was about $15, so I thought it would be a good value. When it came out it was SO SMALL! About the size of a audio-cassette tape!! My heart sunk deep into my stomach. I decided I could rectify this situation by taking tiny bites and pretending to be high-class. Let me tell you... this was probably the most delicious thing I had eaten in the last 5 years. Taste was absolutely wonderful/amazing. Great kind of nutty flavor, great texture, just the right consistency and temperature... I was extremely impressed. The taste made me a little less sad that I just paid $15 for something which was more like a snack, since I was still extremely hungry.

For dessert I ordered a $9 ice cream sundae made out of coconut or almond? i'm not sure. It was a decent size, came with organic chocolate sauce and bananas around the side. Still, probably not worth $9. And it was good, but I could have easily made it at home using So Delicious or any 'boxed' brand. So I was less impressed. If it was $5 it would have been 5 star. But for $9, I say you should pass on it.

Overall, this place was good and I will go back, but not for awhile because it is insanely expensive. Hopefully when I am able to save enough pennies to afford this place again they will still be in business. At that time, I will likely try something else on the menu, and a different dessert.

Pros: very delicious food, great atmosphere, incredibly friendly staff
Cons: extremely expensive, tiny portions which won't fill you up, street parking could be tough

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Prana Cafe: