Poutini's House of Poutine

Serves meat, veg options available. Could get a vegan poutine with daiya cheese and vegan gravy. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Canadian, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by jessgrace
CourtneyM
CourtneyM

great spot for quick late night eats

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

I enjoy this place quite a bit. They do one thing, but they do it well. There is Daiya for the vegan version. I'm not the biggest fan of poutine, but I love good fries with gravy. My boyfriend usually gets the Vegan Poutine and I usually get the fries with gravy. The vegan gravy is really good, in fact some of our friends say they like it more than the regular gravy they serve there. It's worth a stop if you're anywhere in the hood.

Pros: tasty, fast, open late!!!
Cons: little seating, they only make one thing
Melle
Melle

Gluten Free? Steer Clear!

1 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2011

The fries taste great, but for all the celiacs out there, they are less than attentive. I used to love eating here, but twice now I've been given the wrong gravy and gotten sick. This last time I took a friend who is also celiac and we both ended up popping the glutenease like candy before an hour was up. So if you're gluten free avoid it unless you like the bloating and nausea that comes with it.

jazzyjane
jazzyjane

amazing

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

the vegan poutine is amazing.. not sure why people don't like it! daiya is the best true vegan cheese on the market. healthy? nope. but it's poutine!

Pros: cheezy, hot, filling
Cons: none

Sarah P
Sarah P

yum

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2011

I enjoyed Poutini's vegan poutine. I never before ate poutine, so I had nothing to compare Poutini's to, but I was thoroughly satisfied. I irdered the large and had to take 1/2 to go. It was delicious cold later.

The restaurant is very small with limited seating. Poutini's seems to do more take-out than eat-in, but it's a funky little place nonetheless.

Pros: ample portion, good price, tasty
Cons: completely unhealthy, only 1 vegan option with no variations
Ken4057
Ken4057

Pricey

2 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

Disgraceland also has vegan poutine. I haven't tried it yet, but you might want to head there instead if vegan poutine is your thing as they're licenced and have other vegan dishes.

Either you dig Daiya cheese or you don't. The 'almost-pregnant' reviewer below clearly doesn't get the vegan cheese thing, or they'd know that Daiya is the only commercially available vegan cheese that stretches in Canada, take it or leave it. The fries aren't bad and the gravy is very salty. Altogether it left me feeling pretty ill by the end, and ripped off. I could make better at home.

If you're a clueless hipster or 905er drinking/partying in the area this is a good idea to soak up the poison. Otherwise, stay away

Stephanie NC
Stephanie NC

Vegan Poutine

2 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2010

I am nearly vegan, but not quite, which perhaps explains why I disliked the vegan cheese used at Poutini's. I'm still used to vegetarian soy-based rennet-free cheeses, which is what I use when I make poutine. I could barely eat my vegan poutini's - I had to scrape off the cheese and eat the fries and gravy. So I recommend it only to those who can handle 'real' vegan cheese. Also I recommend letting it melt thoroughly before eating it (when it was served the cheese was still in little chunky pieces). Also ask them to spread out the cheese and gravy better so they mix together well.

I won't be going back but I appreciate that they are trying to cater to vegans. I wish they would find a different type of vegan cheese...

If I was a vegetarian who ate cheese I would go here to get poutine with vegetarian gravy.

Cons: gross 'cheese'
jessgrace
jessgrace

My new poutine spot

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

I just had their vegan poutine today. It was really good. They use Daiya cheese, which really adds to it. Poutine has been one of my favorite foods since I was a kid but after becoming vegan, I've had to watch as my friends ate. But now I have Poutini's. I can't wait to go back with all of my non-vegetarian friends to get them to try it.
A huge plus for me is they use biodegradable utensils, bowls and napkins!
Some people may have a problem with the cost, I got a "tiny", which was almost $6.50. But you have to remember that they use Daiya cheese, which is probably pretty expensive. And second, even though the size is "tiny", I was very satisfied. Have it with a drink and you've got yourself a meal.
Another downside is the wait but I think they make the vegan gravy fresh on order, I'm not 100% sure on that but it's great if they do.

Pros: Delicious, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Poutini's House of Poutine: