Pousse-Pousse

Restaurant and juice bar offering raw food as well as cooked vegetarian food using ingredients including sprouts, seaweed, fresh pollen, mixed herbs. Has organic bread and raw dried crackers, hot chocolate cake, panna cotta made with agar-agar and rice milk, fresh fruit salad with lucuma cream, one cooked soup and one raw soup each day. Gluten-free and mostly vegan. Also sells raw food supplies and ingredients. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Western, French, Raw, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out
7, rue Notre Dame de Lorett
Paris, France 75009

Open Tue-Fri 12-2:45pm, Sat 12-6pm; shop Tue-Sat 11-3:30pm, 4:30-7pm.

• Cash only

First Review by upior
Maurie
Maurie

Best eating experience in Paris

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2013

All I can think about is the day when I can return to Paris and eat at this wonderful place, the food looked amazing and tasted incredible. The thing I didn’t expect was how good I felt for hours afterwards.
I have been looking for the same experience in London but although similar nothing compares.

Pros: the food, decor, the owner & all staff
Cons: It is only in Paris and not London
mmehart
mmehart

WOW!

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2013

I was skeptical but OMG WOW! This place was great! The lady that owns it is very cool and the food was delish! Even my omnivore-proud husband was extremely pleased with his meal. Thank you!

Pros: great food, quality, felt so healthy after!!
Cons: Super crazy small space
DJMToronto
DJMToronto

a healthy and tasty surprise in Paris

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2012

We had lunch at Pousse Pousse on our last day in Paris. It wasn't high on our list of places to try but that turned out to be a mistake! I would definitely recomment a visit if you are interested in vegan food that is both tasty and healthy. We definitely came away feeling we had treated our taste buds and our bodies. (For me the best vegan food pleases both . . .)

I went with my partner and we basically tasted almost everything on the menu (which changes daily). We had juices made to order. (We requested a few ingredients and asked the owner to "create" a juice based on these choices.) We also had two (warm) soups, two entrees (raw but with some cooked grains) and two raw desserts. Everything was delicious and there is a genuine concern for balancing taste and pleasure with the nutritional qualities of the food.

As some other reviews have mentioned, I did find the salad that came with the meal uninspired, which was a bit of a surprise based on the overall quality of the food. It was basically an iceberg lettuce salad with a few sprouts and a rather heavy vinaigrette. I expected something with more texture, colour and flavour, based on the other food here.

Still the ambience created by the owner makes this my recommendation for the "must-do" lunch for a vegan in paris if you can afford it. (Our lunch was 55 Euros and very filling . . . but you could get away with much less.)

Also, the dehydrated raw crackers that came with the soup were the best I've had anywhere!

Pros: healthy, tasty, warm attentive service
Cons: small space
gracep
gracep

Pretty good!

3 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

I went here today to give it a try after reading about it online. I ordered a Thai-flavoured pumpkin soup, a chilli with beans and tempeh (which came with a salad and cornbread), and an apple/mint/kiwi sorbet. I found overall that the quality of the food was quite good, but some items could have used improvement. The pumpkin soup, which was unexpectedly quite spicy, wasn't anything special compared to pumpkin soups I've had in the past, including what I've made at home, and I think the sprouts in the bottom of the cup would have been better on the side. It came with come slices of bread and some raw crackers. I didn't eat the bread because I was already a bit full, but I gave the crackers a try and found that they weren't as good as oter raw crackers I've had. They were very heavy on the linseed and not much else was really going on with them. No herbs or spices or anything, for instance. The chilli was quite good, and an uncharacteristically homestyle dish compared to what I've generally had in Paris, which was very welcome. It also came with sprouts on top, and a dressed salad with sprouts. There was something strange going on with the flavour of the cornbread, and that wasn't ideal. It had a satisfying crumbly texture though, so I ate it anyway. The salad was quite fresh. The sorbet was the best part of the meal, and was a perfect palate cleanser. The mint really worked well in it, I found. As others have said, the food is pretty healthy, and you can feel it afterwards, I think. The total cost of my meal here was 22.50 euros.

The staff at this cafe are really excellent and created a welcoming feel from the beginning. When I first walked in, I said "I'm sorry, I can't speak French." The main woman i dealt with while there, who I presume was the owner, simply said "No one's perfect!" and continued in very good English. She consistently checked to make sure that I and the other customers liked the meal, and she such had excellent manners. She was really very warm, and the other staff member on, a younger guy, was less good at English, I think, but he still made the effort and was very helpful and nice.

In the end, I think a good test of how good a place was is whether or not I would go back. In this case, I don't know if I would, which is why I'm hesitant to give it 4/5 (I'm giving it 3, but if I could, I would give it 3.5). Some elements of the meal (chilli and dessert) were very good, but otherwise it was just average I think. Still, do give it a try!

Pros: Generally good food, Amazing staff, Nice vibe
Cons: Some food not that good, Location not near much, Weird opening hours
hairybec
hairybec

Delicious raw food for the soul

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

I was really excited to come here, I'd read so many good reviews and I was not disappointed. Lawrence is the clever lady behind the cafe and i loved that she really believes in the health benefits of all the vegan foods I love: sprouts, juices, salads. She was very friendly and enthusiastic about the food. There's no menu here but she was happy to explain what was in each dish. Whichever dish you choose, they all looked healthy and tasted delicious. I had a quinoa dish with seasonal asparagus and artichoke. My partner had a mushroom and onion quiche. Both were lovely and fresh tasting, although I'd recommend asking to dress your own salad because we found it rather heavy on the vinegar. My partner also had a little soup, which was very cute and tasted amazing. We had some lovely freshly squeezed juices, a mix of carrot, beetroot and apple. We also had dessert: I had a tart of almond cream with blueberries while wishing I'd had my partner's amazing part-baked chocolate cake! All in all, a great place for a delicious meal, if you can ignore that's it's a little cramped, there's no menu and not much choice. The ambience is lovely and all the choices taste good.

Pros: Friendly staff, Lovely ambience, Delicious and healthy
Cons: No menu and not much choice, Cosy seating, Not as filling as some for the price

Niamh1
Niamh1

The Best Raw Chocolate cake

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

I have tasted raw chocolate cake in many raw restaurants in London, New York and Florida...this beat them all by a mile!! The best raw chocolate cake I ever tasted...rich and hazelnutty!...excellent! Thanks

Pros: The best chocolate cake, Raw food in Paris!
Cons: Not a lot of seating, feels a bit crampe, Would like more variety choice of raw sa, fresh wheatgrass not always availabe
elm
elm

A Must Visit when in Paris

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2011

The most wonderful fresh organic raw vegan food available in Paris. Menue changes daily, one leaves Lawrence's food at Pousse Pousse feeling like you could fly through the air.
Non vegetarians also love the food, we sat next to one on our last visit. Some lucky locals eat here daily. We ate there three days in a row, then again the following week, such a luxury.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
estefinparis
estefinparis

A unique place in the 9ème

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2011

The first time I visited Pousse Pousse I had just switched to a veg diet and found the food too "different" for my taste. A few years and many visits later, Pousse Pousse has become one of my favourites. The food is perfect for the warmer weather: soups, tartes, salads... I usually pick the menu with soup and whatever dish is on offer (always something creative and new) and am never disappointed. Healthy, colourful and very tasty. It is also extremely accomodating to vegans and gluten-free diets. The restaurant serves as a shop too and there are only a few tiny tables packed among sprouts, juices, books etc. Make sure to book a table as it is very popular! Take away is also a good option as you can sit on the steps of the nearby Notre Dame de Lorette church and enjoy the Parisian sun.

Ultimecia
Ultimecia

An oasis of goodness!

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2010

I had lunch here on November 19, and it was fabulous, and just what I needed to have the energy to walk around in Paris for many hours.
I had a soup, a tart with salad and for dessert the most delicious raw chocolate cake ever made, I'm sure. It made me almost speechless when the staff asked me if I liked it.
The soup was green, creamy, and tasty and sprinkled with sprouts and something yummy and crunchy. The salad was crisp and full of purple sprouts which I'm sure prolonged my life with several minutes alone. The tart was savoury and perfect together with the other items on the plate, onions and apples and something that I think was hummus...
And last but not least, the apple/carrot/ginger juice was to fresh and good to be true.
Thank you so much. The staff was very friendly and gladly took their time to explain the menu to me :)
And the decor made me feel like home, only nicer!

Pros: fresh food, the big chandelier, passionate staff
Cons: no such thing
dianec
dianec

Very accomodating

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2010

We arrived after the lunch hour. When she realized we were leaving the next day, she said there was soup (cooked) and raw chocolate cake. The soup was creamy and the raw crackers were great. we also had caviar de legumineuses. I was impressed with the sprout seeds and bought some to take home and raw crackers for the flight back to the states. I wish we had gotten the opportunity to see the full lunch menu. As a vegan who tries to eat 50% raw it was great to be able to find a raw food restaurant in Paris. I would highly recommend it for the raw foodist or someone willing to try raw food. They also had a nice selection of books on raw food.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
janice vitullo
janice vitullo

Such nice people!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2010

Although we arrived after they had stopped serving lunch, they cheerfully accommodated us with a delicious vegetable tart, salad and chocolate cake for dessert. We were so pleased with the quality of the food and the warmth of our reception that we returned for lunch a few days later. We highly recommend this restaurant. Only open for lunch.

CBraunmuller
CBraunmuller

Great Service

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2010

We went there at lunch time (they serve no dinner), got an outdoor table which was great. A stunning, very friendly and upbeat lady (originally from New York) welcomed us and told us the menu of the day... We just said that one of us was vegan, the other raw vegan and let her choose the entire meal.
We were served in no time a delicious meal, colorful, meal, great fresh squeezed juices, and dessert was vegan chocolate cake for one and raw vegan ice-cream for the other. Couldn't be better. If you're a gourmet raw food person, this is the place to go when in Paris.

Pros: Personal Service, Very Friendly/Savvy Staff, Good Quality
Cons: small space, no foreign cards accepted
chrisadams
chrisadams

Bad experience at Pousse Pousse

2 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2010

I was in Paris recently and, as a raw foodist, was so looking forward to visiting Pousse Pousse. Unfortunately, it was NOT a good experience. We went in the afternoon for lunch, and were told that they were not serving lunch.

The man working there was very rude (the epitome of the rude French stereotype which I rarely see in Paris) and after asking several times, he barked at us that they were not open for dinner that night, that we could come back the next night, but that we probably would not get a table because they were SO popular that it was always VERY crowded. He was not friendly or welcoming or helpful AT ALL. I am from California where most raw foodists are warm, loving, spiritual people. This guy the exact opposite. He was such a turn off that we did not bother to try to go back.

There are many other lovely, warm, friendly vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Paris which were most accommodating to my raw food diet.

Sadly, if Pousse Pousse is all Paris has to offer to the raw foodist, it has a LONG way to go.

Rawsel
Rawsel

• raw

"Extremely friendly and YUMMI raw food!"

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2010

A very small but cosy place with a welcoming and friendly staff. They sell all kinds of sprouts and grains (broccoli grains, alfalfa, onion ect), and equipment for juicing and sprouting as well. They are not "all raw" but do also vegetarien cuisine - there's is always a raw menu of the day. We, of course, had the raw food menu of the day which included an entre, which was a green gazpacho soup with sprouted alfalfa on top and dehydrated crackers. The main course consisted of a green salad, avocado with lentil paté, hommus made of sprouted chickpeas and a mix of vegetables piled in a stack with an oily dressing to hold it together. Dessert was a two-layered chocolatecake with pineapple and mint coulis. To drink we had firstly a freshly made juice of carrots, apple, fennil and ginger. We had the choice of other juices but had the "juice-man" make one for us instead. For the main course and dessert we were served specially filtered water from glass jugs.
All in all it was a very positive experience and we were extremely pleased with the food, drinks and openness from the staff (who spoke English as well as French). The opening hours does not allow for diner, but instead you can go and have a very fulfilling lunch! The price is not cheap but still affordable. We payed around 33 euro per person and considered this very fair as it included a 3 course meal with a freshly made juice - and all the dehydrated crackers and filtered water we wanted :)

Pros: Excellent food, Informative and friendly staff, Good sized portions
Cons: Small, opening hours
morenmore
morenmore

rawesome place!

4 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2010

i live mostly in nyc and used to eat alot of high quality raw cuisine. and coming to paris has always been a little of a battle since its much harder to find green juices and good raw food. BUT, i must say pousse pousse makes my time so much better and easier!! they are not promoting to be only raw but if you ask nicely they are happy to make a special raw dish and most things are based from protein and vitamin rich sprouts and not so much from heavy nuts. neverhteless their raw chocolate cake is that one thing that might be heavier but heavier as in heaven. its delicious. their homemade hommus is beyond and they have seaweed and wheatgrass shots for the one who is craving greens. and here one can find all the vitamins you need and one can have the food to go. and to be honest this is the first (and only) place that told me "tout est possible" (everything is possible) a phrase, if you have been to paris plus being a vegan, you dont hear to often...especially not in a parisian restaurant. so the people that works there are great!

Ampson Hagan
Ampson Hagan

A Unique Vegetarian Experience

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2010

Tucked away in a nice area just north of l'Opera Garnier, Pousse Pousse is a great find, especially since the vegetarian restaurant scene in Paris is so underdeveloped. The food at Pousse Pousse doesn't disappoint. The salads are deliciously fresh and green and the main courses are amazing. For the plate of the day, there is a salad, a cereal (such as rice or quinoa), a "caviar" made strictly from lentils, and other vegetables. You can also try one of the delectable tarts or one of the ever-changing desserts. In fact, each day, the actual food served changes, so the seaweed vegetable roll you had on Tuesday will no longer be served on Wednesday, but the Cucumber spaghetti will be served instead. The tarts and the desserts change everyday as well, keeping up with the "fresh" idea. The restaurant also offers raw foods, and you can ask if the chef can prepare you with a raw dish. The juice prepared by the "Juice Man" is amazing! Made with only fruits and vegetables, it is probably the healthiest drink I have ever had.

The restaurant also serves as a store, so feel free to mill around and look at all the grains available for sale and all the vegetarian/vegan/raw cooking books on the shelves.

The food is impeccable and a wonderful option for vegetarians/vegans/raw food eaters in Paris.

Pros: Food is Wonderful, Store in Restaurant, Very Healthy Cuisine
Cons: Space is Limited
DonnaC
DonnaC

good quality food at a price

3 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

Small restaurant with limited seating space and not much room to move. Food is healthy,tasty and organic but pricey. Has a formal feel and although we enjoyed trying the restaurant it isn't a favourite.

Pros: Tasty food, Vegan options, Healthy food
Cons: Limited seats, expensive
hack_man
hack_man

Too Fancy & Pricey

3 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

It's great to see this type of place doing well and proving popular. We went for lunch, but after seeing the prices ended up getting hot soup and vegetable cocktail which came to €25. Crazy in my book for a light bite. It's a bit cramped in here but the lady who runs the place manages things extremely well in an assertive but friendly manner. A good place, I'm glad to say I've been but will not return on the basis of price and type of food.

Pros: cosy
Cons: pricey, cramped, no late opening
lcorso
lcorso

Delicious Fresh Meal and Juice

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2010

Found this place off Happy Cow and was suggested by a friend. I was visiting Paris with by boyfriend and I was so happy to found some great vegetarian places to eat. I loved this place! I enjoyed the area where this restaurant was located in. The owner and staff were extremely nice and welcoming. They spoke English as well. I loved the whole concept especially being a vegan and raw foodist this place was a great stop. I got a juice and their meal for the day which was a salad, guacamole, onion tart, and lentils. It was delicious! My boyfriend came with me and enjoyed it too! The juice was perfect. I would go back to this place. Yes the restaurant is small, but cozy like to me.

Pros: excellent juice, nice staff, healthy
rawintexas
rawintexas

Pousse - Pousse

4 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2010

I enjoyed a wonderful mostly raw meal at this charming place. The juice concoction was inspired - just let the gentleman choose the ingredients. A word of caution, they stop serving food at 3:30 pm so don't plan on having dinner there. I will return next time I am in Paris!

Pros: raw food options, fresh juice, easy to find
Cons: limited seating, not open for dinner
Linda Kaufman
Linda Kaufman

C'est SI bon !

5 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2009

I stumbled on this restaurant/juice bar quite by accident and have returned several times since. Let Jean-Louis concoct an herb or vegetable/fruit cocktail to order (extraction method - yumyum) and follow with the 'assiette' which changes daily and is full of delicious surprises. For the already converted or more adventurous, try the 'crusine' - all raw food menu. Take out and/or catering are possible and the incredibly stylish owner Lawrence Aboucaya knows everything about germination and sprouting and the merits of healthy eating. Pousse-Pousse also offers cooking and pastry classes. Very warm atmosphere with a varied international clientele who like me come back again and again.

Pros: excellent food, warm welcome, reasonable prices
Cons: small - you might have to wait
upior
upior

Small but friendly

4 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2009

I tried to visit this restaurant few times before I finally succeeded as the restaurant closes very early.
The restaurant is very small and a little weird. In a very small space there are few tables and few shelves displaying items for sale.
When I walked I wasn't given the menu, I was just told what was available this day. I was under the impression that there was just one dish of the day. I didn't mind so I agreed. The owner speaks good English so I didn't have problems communicating. Food was also very good. I would definitely recommend visiting this place.

Pros: Owner speaks English, Tasty food
Cons: Very small, no menu (or I just didn't get any)

Dear Owner and Manager of Pousse-Pousse: