Postcards Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe in a house setting. Menu consists of fish and some vegetarian dishes, a couple vegan ones. Most dishes can be made vegan. Try the sombrero or the trio of tapenade appetizer. Has soymilk for coffee. Reservations suggested. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, International, Non-veg
Kuhio Highway (Hwy 56, near Hanalei Center, Kauai)
Hanalei, Hawaii 96714
808-826-1191

Open Mon-Sun 5:30-9pm.

First Review by spiceislandvegan
veganistic
veganistic

Tasty

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

I asked my Omni boyfriend to bring me here. Since they had fish on the menu he agreed. I had the hemp-crusted polenta cakes as an appetizer which my BF found delicious also. I would like to be able to get the recipe. I had the sombrero which was listed as vegan on the menu. (an earlier review said that it wasn't vegan but, they may have changed the dish) I took half of my sombrero in a go box so I could try a dessert and had the chocolate silk pie. I was in heaven... this was one of the few restaurants I went to that had plenty of vegan options to choose from and we both want to return on our next trip there. We went at opening and were able to be seated quickly.

Pros: good vegan options, friendly staff
rjamiljonna
rjamiljonna

Delightful atmosphere, good food, great service

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

I think Postcards, much like a surprising number of places on Kauai, has been catering more and more to veg* folks. The number of vegan entrees numbered only two by our count (though they were quite accommodating) but there were several appetizers that were veg* or could be made so. We loved the Sombrero (see picture), the tapenade assortment (the non-olive ones could have been more flavorful) and the lilikoi (passion fruit) sorbet dessert.

We thought that Caffe Coco was the only other place on Kauai that held a candle to Postcards and despite the inclination of some reviewers below, we found the Postcards dishes to be way less bland than those at Caffe Coco.

One final note: they do have soy milk for coffee but my personal opinion is that adding the latter to coffee is a travesty. I suggested they get Organic Valley soy creamer as there is simply no better veg* option.

Pros: great presentation, atmosphere (fresh flowers), local/organic
Cons: pricey (but not atypical for Kauai), limited seating, sparse appetizers (need more veggies)
Jay-Oh
Jay-Oh

• non-vegetarian

Great vegan options

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

We shared two vegan starters and two vegan entrees. Best vegan food by far that we've had on this trip. We were too full to try the dessert. Our friends had fish that they said was delicious.

Pros: vegan options clearly marked on menu, friendly wait staff, tasty food
canadianveggie
canadianveggie

Charming with Vegan Options

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2013

Good vegan options in a cute family-friendly restaurant. Their menu doesn’t have any meat (only fish) or refined sugar, and they use a lot of fruit they grow themselves. The Sombrero was probably the best meal we had all week.

Pros: outdoor seating, friendly service, excellent food
Joe_rev
Joe_rev

Nice place, Bland food

3 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

The place is beautiful. It's small, so there's usally a wait --- even if they say you don't need a reservation, make one anyhow.

The food is so-so at best. The dishes were pretty, but the entree was bland. I thought it might just be veg thing... but I saw a guy with the fish curry and he looked upset over the taste as well (he asked for pepper on his curry dish).

Pros: Ambiance, Fritters
Cons: Bland, Pricey

jamber79
jamber79

Very nice place

4 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2012

There was a long wait to get a table, but the ambience is very nice and romantic. They had a very limited menu in terms of vegetarian food, but at least there were a couple entrees. I just got appetizers because i didn't feel like either entree. Apparently they have bread, but only if you ask for it which was annoying because we didn't know and so didn't ask. Seems like a nice pricy place like this should just bring it.

Pros: Ambience
Cons: Small menu
Chia
Chia

It was okay

3 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2012

Came here for dinner on a past trip to Kauai island, Hawaii. Here's my Postcards Cafe review for happycow.

Two of us ordered 2 vegan dishes to share. Tasted okay though a bit on the salty side. Our friend ordered a fish dish, and she liked it.

The space is nice and the kitchen accommodating to vegetarian and vegan requests.

Pros: veg-friendly, nice place
Cons: a bit expensive
Hallie
Hallie

good food, but very limited vegan options

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon. I was looking forward to ordering the Sombrero, as mentioned in a previous review and on the website, but it was not vegan. It contains dairy cheese as well as fish. They said that they can not make it vegan because it is pre-made, and they cut it out of a larger batch. My husband ordered it and liked it. I had to get the Francesca, which was very good but quite expensive for a pasta dish. The taro fritters were amazing! We agreed that they were the best, by far!
We'd certainly go back and order more taro fritters, but would really only recommend the entrees if you have an excessive amount of money to spend.

P.S. They do take credit cards now.

Pros: taro fritters, tasty food
Cons: expensive, limited vegan options, pre-made food
mavgirl7
mavgirl7

My 50th birthday at Postcards Cafe

1 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2009

I celebrated my 50th birthday at the Postcards Cafe in February 2009. I had seen it on Happycow.net so I decided to eat my birthday dinner there since I have been a vegetarian for 32 years. When I arrived at the Postcards Cafe and mentioned to the hostess that I was a vegetarian and had seen the restaurant listed at Happycow.net, she said their restaurant did not cater to vegetarians! I was shocked and surprised that she said that. The waitress said they would try to accommodate me. The only thing on the menu that I could eat that wasn't meat was a tofu dish so I ordered that. It was so spicy that I couldn't even finish it. I told the waitress right away about how spicy it was and she said there was nothing she could do about it. I was very disappointed with the Postcards Cafe as they didn't offer to prepare another veggie meal. I had to pay full price for dinner even though I couldn't eat it plus the tofu was completely dried out. I do not recommend the Postcards Cafe at all.

Cons: Not a veg-friendly restaurant., Staff not friendly.
spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

Vegan options are available in a tiny beach town

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2009

I was surprised that a gourmet restaurant with vegan options are available in this town. I thought the place will be casual and will sell only sandwiches and salads. But no, this is a gourmet type of meal. We wanted to find such a restaurant to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We found it in an unlikely town called Hanalei. We don't drink wine so we ordered Hisbiscus Cooler for drinks. We had Hanalei Taro Fritters with pineapple chutney as a starter. It was yummy. Dinner was vegan dish called The Sombrero(vegan with vegan jack cheese). We had Coconut sorbet with lilikoi syrup. All in all it was great and it wasn't salty. There are other vegan and vegetarian options.

Pros: Has a vegan option

Dear Owner and Manager of Postcards Cafe: