Venue for the Poetry Society, readings held there most nights except Sundays when closed. Light food menu with both traditional as well as vegan cakes on occasion brought in by local bakers, plus a range of beverages. Bright, relaxed space. Reported that kitchen closes at 3pm, Sep 2014. Please let HappyCow know if veg-options are good enough to continue to list this business. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, British, English, Beer/Wine
22 Betterton Street (Covent Garden tube)
London, England WC2H 9BX
020-74209887

Mon-Fri 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 7:00pm-11:00pm

First Review by Jemima
lisa700
lisa700

Okay

3 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2014

Nice place, a little too quiet for my taste (during the day), there is soy milk but nno vegan cake when we were there.

Pros: Poetry Events At Night, Soymilk
Cons: A Little Odd, No Vegan Cakes
KatieBatty
KatieBatty

Nice soup but a little odd

3 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

We came here because we wanted to eat and see some poetry. We asked about what was vegan and the waiter said "I don't know, the fruit?" which isn't great for a vegetarian place. So I asked about the things on the menu and it turned out there were a few vegan things. We both got soup and bread which was nice.

According to their site, poetry is on most nights. We asked about the poetry and the waiter said she "Wasn't sure" if it was on. Then she said there was someone coming in later that night. Before we left she said it was cancelled. It was a shame it seemed so disorganised.

Pros: Nice soup
Jemima
Jemima

Sustain with poetry

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2009

On a mainly residential side street in Covent Garden.
D├ęcor is yellow lighting, light shades made from literary scribblings effect prints, floorboards, old wood tables with the names of poets on them/ print alluding to poetry. Magazines to read. Order at the bar/counter at the back. Toilets are downstairs. They are a bit dire. Poetry is recited downstairs too.
Most people on the times I have visited have run in poetry circles but people there have been welcoming to all.

The menu has soups and salads. I have always gone in the evening and some items have always run out. They told me most people eat there at lunch.
I have had the nearly Greek salad with bread. The dressing is scrumptious. Also the cheese and bread. The bread was the white type albeit from a decent cob. Bread varies as to what they get in I think. Servings are light. There are muffins which look like the standard ones you see all around town in blueberry or choc. There is also wine and coffee. Vegan options could be better.

The main person managing the cafe/ food is pleasant.

Salad was just over ₤5 and bread and cheese around ₤5. A little on the expensive side as they are side dishes really.

This is a great place to listen to poetry and have a snack. They allow you to take your food and beverages downstairs. Reflect on and discuss all manner of things over refreshments. Poetry is so much more when recited, especially by its own author.
You can get tube poems as appear in the tube here for minimal cost and copies of the Poetry Review for free.

In term of food there could be improvement. Eg keeping with low maintenence they could easily just order some good cakes/ slices in. The poetry adds so much though! I will definately be returning but I do wish someone would pay a bit more attention to the food side. As a place to get a light snack it's edging toward a three for me...

Pros: Stimulating entertainment/ company, pleasant space, central location
Cons: Food undersupplied, should get good cake, in -that's low maintnce; less vegan opts, dire toilets

Dear Owner and Manager of Poetry Cafe: