Po Lin Yuen Vegetarian...

Take-out restaurant with no seating. Sells vegetarian/vegan dim sum. Taro and turnip cakes also available. Previously located on Jervois Street, Sheung Wan. Name in Chinese: 寶蓮苑素食. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Take-away

First Review by JohnnySensible
Stevie
Stevie

Po Lin Yuen Vegetarian, Sai Wan

2 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

I get no pleasure reporting the episode below. It is I regret to say though a factual representation of events.

I went here tonight. As per what the listing says this place is take away only.

When I arrived I waved and greeted the lady behind the counter and the man in the kitchen by saying hello in Cantonese. I then asked the lady behind the counter to take a look at a print out in Chinese (traditional and simplified) I have explaining what does and what doesn't go into a vegan meal. She wasn't interested in looking. Fair enough. I then turned to a simple pictorial representation that I have with a smiley face on one page and a sad face on the other, with each face surrounded by the appropriate food items. I have enjoyed great success with this strategy in Hong Kong helped by the consistently helpful disposition of the Hong Kong restaurant staff and customer. it didn't work this time as the woman refused to take a look to help me. I then tried asking the man in the kitchen if he would take a look. He similarly refused. I thus left hungry and unfed to try somewhere else.

The timing of this is quite ironic in that I went to Kwang Bo earlier today for lunch. As per the review I posted of there, the entire restaurant was trying to help me get some food. Onwards and upwards.

Cons: Unhelpful staff
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Excellent dim-sum.

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

Just had my breakfast.

A bowl of noodles with veggies, mushrooms & 2 pieces of taro cake dim-sum for HK$24 - a little over US$ 3.

Delicious!

.................................

Unbelievable value.

I have no idea how they can keep their prices so low.

Satisfying breakfasts for less than HK$ 25.

Many types of dim-sum for HK$ 2 per piece.

This is a great little cafe / restaurant with a very friendly crew running it.

I drop in for my breakfast at least twice each week.

They have a display cabinet stocked with packs of vegan instant noodles & more from Viet Nam - also at crazy low prices - ideal for curing late night munchie attacks.

Busy, busy, busy 12.00 to 13.30.

Shared tables.

English menu.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 03, 2010

Guest
Guest

My favourite place for breakfast and lunch

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2010

I often have breakfast and lunch in this restaurant. Fried noodles and some dim sum . They are all tasty. The family there are always very friendly. I highly recommend people to have breakfast or lunch in this restaurant. It's very nice place .

Dear Owner and Manager of Po Lin Yuen Vegetarian Restaurant: