Vegetarian canteen type restaurant within Po Lin Monastery. Fixed menu only. Seats 300+. Meal ticket includes admission to the Tian Tan Buddha museum inside the big Buddha. Access via 25 min cable car trip from Tung Chung or much cheaper 1 hour bus trip from Tung Chung. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Buddhist

Stevie
Stevie

Po Lin Monastry, Hong Kong

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2015

The deal here is that if you want to eat here, you buy a ticket from the ticket office in advance. At time of writing the price is 98 hkd for the normal priced menu or 138 hkd for the deluxe menu. You are giving a seat meal based on the number of people in your group. It's a big dining hall with over 300 seast. Bearing in mind how many people they will get pouring through the doors to have lunch at the same time, it's no real surprise that the dining hall is like being in a canteen.

Having attended as part of a couple the 98 hkd meant I had brought to me:-

* Chinese tea
* soup
* a spring roll
* warmed tofu with corn
* mixed green leaves cooked with mushrooms
* mock chicken cooked with celery and zuchini
* boiled rice

The soup was OK without being anything to get excited about. The spring roll also but was a little on the small side. I personally don't like corn (just a matter of personal taste) so no surprise I didn't think too much of that dish. The green leaves and mushrooms I thought were the best thing about the meal. My girlfriend didn't share my opinion and preferred the spring roll and also the soup. The mock chicken, celery and zucchini was also OK.

If you are looking for strong over powering flavours then this may well not be for you. The seasoning used in the cooking of main course dishes was quite delicate.

The above list sounds like quite a spread but remember of course it's shared between 2. I was full enough at the end. It was suggested to me afterwards that 98 hkd for this maybe a little over priced. It helps of course that its all vegan.

The surrounding setting is immense and is very much a tourist trap.

That it's a fixed menu isn't always an issue for a place but I really don't like sweet corn and would never order a sweet corn dish.

Pros: All vegan
Cons: Fixed no choice menu
aevankow
aevankow

Healthy, filling vegetarian experience

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2015

Although skeptical, my husband and I bought the general meal ticket before we headed up the steps to visit the Buddha statue. It was nice to be able to walk around inside the temple, which had many paintings. There were not many English translations. It started to rain and we found our way over to the restaurant, which is located on the Monastery grounds. The general meal was more than enough food for the two of us. It came with warm soup, rice, tea, lots of veggies, tofu, and a fried vegetable roll. It was the healthiest meal we had since arriving in Hong Kong, which was a refreshing change from the fried and overly salted food from earlier in the week. The deluxe meal also looked delicious, however we didn't want to try the fake shark fin soup. We prefer vegetarian food that doesn't mimic meat options, especially shark. We ate in a large room with many other tables. The table and layout was very simple, which we liked.

Pros: Healthy, Pre-arranged meal, Plenty to eat
Cons: some fake meat, crowded room, not much service
Bobozmom
Bobozmom

good food

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2015

We had set meal in the restaurant and the meal was quite nice. Serve a mock shark fin soup followed by a sweet lemon mock chicken dish, stir fried mixed veggies which was our favorite and mushrooms on greens, spring rolls and rice. Affordable and a good value .

Pros: several pricing options and variety of food
Cons: a bit of a tourist trap

Caro
Caro

Unfortunately not good

Posted on 06 / 26 / 2013

I have been in this restaurant with two friends. After three weeks of travelling through Asia we have eaten in many different vegetarian restaurants and I have to say that we had the worst food of those three weeks in this restaurant. We were all very disappointed because the food was nothing special and the tofu was wobbly. You expect more when you pay 80HKD just for one meal. Moreover right next to this restaurant there is another vegetarian fast food counter where the food looked so much better. So better save the money for the meal ticket and eat at the other place!

Cons: expensive
Whocindah
Whocindah

not worth the hype

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2013

We had high expectations for this one but overall we were disappointed. We chose the "regular meal" rather than the "deluxe". It was quite a bit of food, four dishes plus soup and rice. Three of the dishes were very gelatinous and bland. We didn't notice until after our meal that there were "seasoning stations" where one could get sauces and such -perhaps that would have made a difference but I am not confident. We didn't eat at the little take out cafe but felt it may have been a better option. The staff were lovely and very quick.

Pros: friendly staff, big portions
Cons: not very tasty, bland soup
Spamelula
Spamelula

Lovely location and good food

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2012

Superb meal - very good food & a lovely location

Pros: good food, inexpensive, relaxing
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

Vegan donuts !!!

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

If you eat in the monastary, it's free to go up to the giant buddha. You can also eat in their cafe where there are a lot of pastries such as donuts !!!

simdel
simdel

Yummy!

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

What a really great place! There were two options - regular at 63$ or deluxe at 100$. Well, we went for the deluxe and were really happy with what we were served. The deluxe ticket entitles you to the VIP section (but still very busy!) and the aircon was very refreshing. The food was superb. We had a kind of thick soup to start off followed by 4 plates of food which were 1 - fantastic mushrooms over some fresh green leafy veg 2 - a tofu dish with a lovel;y lemony sauce 3 - a plate of very fresh mixed veg containing asparagus, peppers, ceery, Japanese type mushrooms, cashew nuts and other veg that I don't know the name and 4 - a plate of spring roles. They gave us a huge pot of jasmine tea too. Well worth it and one of the tastiest meals I have ever had.

Pros: great food, aircon , good value
Cons: noisy, but happy noise
Deborah3000
Deborah3000

ordinary

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2011

A very ordinary restaurant. We chose the deluxe option but after our meal I thought the cheaper one might have been better. The service was fast enough but not all that efficient. We had to ask someone for some sauce. The food was not very good. It felt like being in a factory. Very unpleasant.

Pros: vegan
Cons: cheap food
Noanimal
Noanimal

Lovely restaurant on a lovely spot

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

When visiting the big Buddha you can combine this with a visit to the Po Lin Monastery restaurant. In fact when you are there you should not miss it. From central Hong Kong its a bit out of the way because you have to take a train and the cable car. When you buy an entry ticket to the monastery grounds you can also buy a restaurant ticket. They have two options, the regular or the delux meal. I would say the regular meal is good enough but if you want to splash out go for it, this is a good place to do that. The food is fresh and crisp and the service is fast and efficient overall in a peacefull athmosphere.

Pros: good athmosphere, good food
beerzuki
beerzuki

great day out in hong kong

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2008

What a bargain! For $60 HKD per person (approx $10 Aussie) you get a meal that would even fill the Buddha's tummy. As a smallish eater, I always carry a snap lock container with me to save wasteage... let me say that my container didn't go hungry this day.

Anyway, the food was definitely good, and if you keep your meal ticket, and you can also go free into the building with the huge Buddha on top.

Taking the cable car up there is spectacular too!

Note: The restaurant is not well signed to get to, but obvious when you find it... it is in the monastery grounds. You can see it on the large map sign near the Buddha's steps. It is not the one with the garish 'tea house' signs.

Don't expect a quiet meal either...it gets busy...and noisy. But its happy noise!

Pros: generous serves, fun location, great value
Cons: small eater might waste food, more like a 'mess hall' than 'serene'!
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Simple tasty food - fabulous surroundings

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2007

English webpages here - http://www.plm.org.hk/blcs/en/1-2.asp Map & basic directions here - http://www.plm.org.hk/blcs/en/e.asp Getting there - pretty much any Airport Bus will drop you at Nong Ping - double check with the bus route map. In my opinion, for "ambience" this is the best place to visit for light eating & contemplation in Hong Kong. A place of compassion. Take at least half a day for your visit. Great walking - wear strong shoes. It is perfect as a temple where you can eat so I give it 5 Happy Cows.

Pros: Photogenic, Clean air, Great value
Petesternz
Petesternz

What a gem! Worth the cable car trip!

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2007

We visited this place the other day. There are only two choices of what to eat: the regular or deluxe version, with the latter supposedly better food and with nicer resto. (There is a cafe as well which we did not visit). What a delight! Exactly what veggie food should be. Fresh, great tasting, with subtle and distinct flavours. All four dishes a hit. Here's a hint: go with a group, as they serve in groups, and the more you are, the more variety you get (same price.).

Pros: beautiful, fresh, great surroundings
Cons: remote location

Dear Owner and Manager of Po Lin Monastery: