Po Kong Vegetarian Restaurant

Vegetarian Dim Sum and faux meat and tofu dishes. The staff is very friendly and the portions are generous. Price: Moderate more-less
1334 Kingsway (Clarke St)
Vancouver, British Columbia

Kyleigh100
Kyleigh100

The Best Asian Food

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

I've eaten here several times over the past couple of years. Once for Dim Sum - what a novelty to have vegan dim sum! - and the rest for dinner. I've gone with my omnivore parents and omnivore friends and everyone has loved the food, and the experience.

The Atmosphere of this place is great, the staff is friendly, efficient, and accommodating. The place has always been packed when I go, but the food is always quick to come out, and the portions are amazing. Many times that I've been there the manager personally comes over to see how we are enjoying the food and I find this to be a really nice personal touch. The people here seem to really take pride in what they're doing.

As for the food, you can't beat it. The prices are inexpensive, and the portions are huge. We have eaten so many things off the menu from fried rice, to bean curd skins in black bean sauce, to the wonton soup, sweet and sour, sticky rice in bamboo leafs, stir-fries, sauteed mushrooms, sesame balls and more. I wish I could remember everything I've tired, but by now it's probably at least half the menu. This is a great place to go with people who might be skeptical about vegetarian and vegan food, and a great place to go with a crowd.

I will always come back when i'm in town. If you haven't been you should really check it out!

Pros: Amazing Food, Friendly, helpful Staff, huge portions
vegan frog
vegan frog

Changing my mind

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

We went back to Po Kong a couple of times after that first review. We got a different waitress that had no clue about the menu so all of a sudden we were not so confident about the vegan options.
Second of all, we parked at the back and had a peek in the kitchen: disgusting! I will not set a foot in there again.
Plus the toilets were also gross.

We had wanted to go to Po Kong for a while but were put off by the fact it is vegetarian, and not fully vegan, so it makes it harder to know which options are vegan when they are not clearly defined on the menu. We asked for no veggie ham in any of the dishes and they did a great job.
The service was so fast, like it took a few minutes to prepare 6 dishes when the restaurant was already packed. We tried the salt and pepper deep fried konjac (amazing and highly recommended!), the bean curd rolls in black bean sauce, spicy green beans, 3 mushrooms and taro hot pot, pineapple fried rice and seaweed bean curd rolls. Everything was super tasty and the portions were HUGE! Luckily we were planning for lunch the next day.

Updated from previous review on Friday October 25, 2013

Pros: Huge menu, Fast and friendly service, Large family style portion
Cons: hard to know what's really vegan?
lindatheveg
lindatheveg

One of my favourite restos in Vancouver

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

The food is excellent, each dish is distinct and the menu has a huge selection. I often wish I could be there with a large group of friends so we can try more dishes. The wait staff are fast and efficient. The place is clean and the opening hours are great.

Pros: Really good food, Lively and happy environment, Great experience
Cons: Sometimes have to wait for a table

axelboot
axelboot

Excellent choice for a Birthday dinner!

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2013

Came here on Thursday July 11th for a friend's birthday dinner. We were 13 people around a large table.
A great idea.
One of the guests was very knowledgeably about Chinese foods, and ordered our dishes.
We had an excellent set of dishes, such as:
spinach noodles with veggies
udon with black pepper sauce
sweet and sour tofu chicken with pineapple
cashews and greens with tofu chicken
fried rice
wonton soup
It was a very good meal of at least 15 platters/ dishes!!
I'd really recommend giving them a try.

Pros: Wide variety of dishes, Good value for money, Flavourful dishes
Cons: Some dishes were too oily
barefoot and vegan
barefoot and vegan

Heaven in the morning

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2011

Went to Po Kong Vegetarian Restaurant on a Sunday with friends. Off the Dim Sum menu, we ordered spring rolls, sweet rice dumplings, sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaf and barbecue buns. From their regular menu, we ordered Bean Curd Skin Rolls with Black Bean Sauce. Everything was fantastic. What a luxury to have an all vegetarian Dim Sum menu. The place is cheerful and very clean. We will return often.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, good value
Veg55
Veg55

Try it, you'll like it

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2011

Went with friends to try out this new veg Asian restaurant on Kingsway. Food was fantastic with generous portions, and reasonably priced. Friendly service. Reminded me of Whole Foods vegetarian restaurant on Main. Hope to see it busier next time, it certainly deserves it.

Pros: Great veg food, Friendly staff, Good portions
Cons: Plastic tablecloth, Brightly lit
  • Veg55 Veg55

Oops, meant "Whole Vegetarian" Restaurant. But you knew that right?

Dear Owner and Manager of Po Kong Vegetarian Restaurant: