Plumeria

Vegetarian Thai restaurant. Uses organic vegetables (when available) and organic non-gmo tofu. Most food is vegan and gluten free. Opened in July 2012. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out
4661 Park Blvd, University Heights (Adams Ave)
San Diego, California 92116

bmann52
bmann52

Loved it

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2014

Took our non veg friends and we all shared veggy dishes and they were very impressed. (We already were)

Salexa25
Salexa25

All Vegetarian, but Great for Omnivores too

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

I actually had this place recommended to me by an omnivore. I took my omni husband and our friend (also omni) without making a huge deal about it being an all-veg place, and they weren't disappointed. It was a bit of a wait to get in on a Friday night, so you might want to make reservations if you really don't want to wait. We all started with soy milk thai tea (also available with coconut milk or half-and-half), which was a crowd-pleaser. I started to order the taro tea with soy milk, but the very helpful server informed me that it was made with a dairy-based mix. The entrees were all really yummy. Many of them allow you to choose from a variety of mock meats, organic tofu, or just veggies. Much of the menu is vegan-friendly (and there are a lot of gluten-free items, if that's an issue for you). The portions were generous, and you can select the level of spice you want from 10 levels - I got a level four, which was pleasantly spicy. I think this will become a new favorite spot for us ^_^

Pros: Great food, generous portions, Large selection of Vegan and GF options, Nice, helpful staff
Cons: Parking is limited , On weekends, reservations recommended
Citrine
Citrine

Genuine Thai Food

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2014

I highly recommend it. The thai food is amazing. This place is authentic and cook their dishes on a thai spicy scale. I had a curry and pad thai dish split for 2; we both left full of greatness.

Pros: Authentic, Many Protein options
Cons: Small Resturantant and can be loud when busy
Alyce I.
Alyce I.

Awesome food - Amazing service!

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2014

If I could give this restaurant 6 stars, I would. The food was great, better than most Thai restaurants, and I didn't have to worry about asking if there was fish sauce in any of the dishes. Their faux meat choices were fabulous. What made this restaurant stand out for me was their service and attention to detail. We are a family of five and our youngest child is 1 y/o. For the baby, we usually just give him stuff he can hold and eat right out of his hand - a piece of carrot, tofu, some noodles. Needless to say, he ends up eating it off the table... The owner of the restaurant noticed that and brought him a small plastic bowl and mentioned that at the end of the night they clean the tables with chemicals (think windex) we don't really want to ingest. That was very thoughtful! Further, when bringing us our dessert, the staff brought some cut up apples for the kids and some cute edible cake decorations, and extra miniature umbrellas to take home. The restaurant seems to be a little overstaffed, by other restaurants' standards, but they didn't sit around, they were constantly walking by removing empty plates and refilling water glasses. The food also came super-fast, I'm talking three minutes for the appetizers and before we were done with those, the entrees were already coming. What can I say, I was impressed with the quality of the food and the quality of the staff. We will definitely go back during our one-week stay in San Diego!

spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

Best Vegetarian Thai!

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

This is the best Thai vegetarian restaurant I've been and I've been to a few including the ones in LA and Irvine. So glad to find this restaurant.

I like their Spicy Noodle and Veggie Chicken Ka Pow. We ordered with heat level 5 out of 10 and they were spicy enough without adding more hot sauce or chilies. The dishes were designed to be served for one person but you can still share in a family style dinner with your group, ask for plates.

We ordered an appetizer, 'tuna' in flower cups that is popular from chef specialty menu. We thought that it was just ok. The 'tuna' salad is vegan and I know what it is made of since I make vegan tuna salad at home with that ingredient. The filling/ salad was too salty in my opinion. It would have been better if it was mixed with other ingredients such as cube potatoes or yam to reduce the saltiness. There is a version of this with tofu, it may be better and less salty.

However, the veg chicken ka pow with yellow noodle was soooo gooood. The cut green beans were crunchy and the chicken was chewy. There were a lot of holy basil in the dish. Super yummy!

The Spicy Noodle was served with crispy tofu as we requested. YUM! I think their wok is so hot that the dishes came out so hot and crispy. The restaurant accommodate vegans very well, just communicate with them.

I wish that we have more people so we can try many other dishes but we will be back.

Service was quick and friendly. The restaurant is small so maybe during a peak time there is a wait time although we didn't wait too long on a Saturday night. I would recommend a reservation for a group. Also, parking can be hard in this area.

Pros: Tasty, Large portions, Great service
Cons: Small restaurant, Wait for tables, Parking
HelenK
HelenK

Delicious!

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2013

This restaurant is awesome! I would highly recommend going here!

There were lines out the door and we had to wait for 45 minutes for a table on a Saturday night (so try to make a reservation) but it was well worth the wait! Most of the dishes are vegan as well as gluten free (and everything is vegetarian, no fish sauce!). Additionally, I have a corn allergy and they were very accommodating, I had no problems. The owner was very helpful and knew what was in her food. They do serve dishes with eggs and dairy, something the couple at the table next to us was not aware of until they ended up with egg in their pad thai, but if you ask for vegan you will get it!

The one downside with this restaurant is its size. Since it is a small, and very popular, restaurant the wait is long and the tables are close together. However, if you don't have a busy night and don't mind being close to the people next to you, you will have a blast! The waitstaff was also very sorry about the wait and even provided tea while we waited.

Keep an eye out for the chili pepper symbol, it means spicy and it does not lie! I loved the peanut sauce and tom kah soup and the desserts were decadent and beautifully presented! Yummy yummy!!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Accommodating of food allergies
Cons: Long wait, Small restaurant, So good I ate way too much! ;D
Trummerflute
Trummerflute

Lucky San Diego!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

I just tried Plumeria yesterday for lunch. What a shocker! I love Thai food, but I'm never really sure that the chefs understand "no fish sauce." I usually have to stick to simply stir-fry. However, here, the are so many vegan choices! We shared the pepper tofu and the pumpkin curry, spiced at a 5. I was in heaven! The curry was fragrant, flavorful, heavenly, perfectly spiced, the vegetables cooked without mushing them, and the cute star-shaped brown-white rice made for a delightful meal. Upscale ambience, impeccable service. San Diego's collection of vegan-friendly restaurants just got a serious boost.

Pros: Quality of food, Number of vegan dishes, Great service
Cons: Not the cheapest, but still good value, I couldn't eat it all :)
bunnybeesweet
bunnybeesweet

amazing!

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

one of the best meals i've ever had! the pumpkin curry was sweet, spicy, and bursting with kafir lime leaf and thai basil flavors. the cucumber based "summer salad" was also delicious with ground peanuts and a sweet lime dressing. coconut icecream and sticky rice for dessert... perfect!

Pros: great flavors, good amount of heat, friendly service
Cons: a bit slow
lesterville
lesterville

Yum!

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

This is my neighborhood so I am doubly pleased to have another veg option that I can walk to! Very friendly staff, tasty food and generous portions. And the interior designer in my loves what they did with the decor. It's a small place but has been very busy since they opened. I've only taken my food to go, but one of these days, I'll dine in. I'd like to see vegan desserts on the menu. Everything was very tasty, fresh and they can do spicy if you want spicy. Cashew Nut is always my benchmark entree for this type of restaurant and I was not disappointed. I look forward to sampling the rest of the menu. I like that they use local, non gmo tofu too. The only thing I can't seem to get over is that plant outside in the middle of the other door...something weird about it feng shui-wise or just odd. :o)

Pros: Location, Tasty, Selection
Ali-Con
Ali-Con

Wonderful!

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2012

The food here is delicious! All 4 dishes we ordered were wonderful, the satay as well. Their mock meats in particular were tasty. Service was good. The place is decorated very prettily; all purple and flowers. I would love to eat here again. Price was reasonable $8-12. Very vegan friendly. Some dishes have eggs, but they ask you when you're ordering whether or not you want the egg.

Pros: Delicious, Service, Atmosphere
alanwpeck
alanwpeck

Amazing!

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

I didn't think I'd find anything to rival Sipz, but this place is fantastic. The Tom Kha soup and garlic edamame were to die for. My two non vegan friends said they're definitely coming back.

mutant_pie
mutant_pie

Great Flavor, Good Variety, Will Return

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

I just came back from a lunch at Plumeria. It's a lovely little Thai place with both cushioned booth-bench and chair seating the menu is very decently sized, but not crazy long like some Thai places. I had the Pumpkin Curry w/mock pork, with a requested heat level of 5 (out of 10). I was warned that they skew their spicy hot dishes pretty hot. I pass that warning on to you as they were right, next time I'll ask for a "3." Portions are not huge, but my companion did have leftovers. The flavors are very good, but the pork meat substitute was middling, as I think it was a very well reconstituted TVP, but still TVP. I look forward to trying the fish instead. The chicken was better than the pork, but was "soft," to quote my omnivore companion. Prices are also middle of the road. I'll be going back to try the tangerine dish.

Pros: Mostly Vegan, Very Good Flavor, Reasonably Priced
Cons: Spicy Hot, On The Hot Items, O.k. But Not Great Meat Substitutes
TheunSponselee
TheunSponselee

Good flavors

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2012

Very nice restaurant, found it through this website. It was the best food i've eating on this trip (we're from Holland and traveling the USA west coast). I tried the 'mock chicken satay and the veggie beef in 2 dishes and they both tasted amazing. Both tasted and felt structure wise like meat. Not that i'm in search of substitutes of chicken of beef, but it was a very good alternative and nice variation of flavors.
Both dishes we're seasoned well, not to much, all in balance.

No real cons about this restaurant

Pros: Great flavors, Friendly, Ambiance
Cons: Loud

Dear Owner and Manager of Plumeria: