Operated by the owners of Hillside Quickies, Plum's menu features changing menu of salads, main entrees, sandwiches, burgers, sweet potato fries with Southern and Caribbean influence. Offers Sunday brunch. Free wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Southern, American, Caribbean. Beer/Wine, Take-out
1429 12th Ave E (btwn Union St & Pike St)
Seattle, Washington 98122

sandykaren
sandykaren

Worth it

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2014

If you are vegan and in Seattle, it is mandatory to go to Plum for their mac and yease. It lives up to the hype. I've had a ton of vegan mac & cheese and nothing comes close to what they serve at Plum. Creamy, velvety goodness with just the right amount of spice (okay, it could have been a little spicier). I came here twice for dinner, mostly to get the mac & yease. The broccoli appetizer was very good as well, but nothing you couldn't do at home. I had one of the seiten entrees and it was good, but again, not a revelation like the mac & yease. My friend had a tofu and tempeh dish that I think was a better choice (I say I think because she didn't want to share!). The only disappointment was the dessert. If I had it to do over again, I would get the mac & yease for dessert!

Pros: Mac & Yease, decent portions, cool space
Cons: crowded, noisy
lysi
lysi

Good location, great atmosphere

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2014

I visited Plum Bistro with two friends (neither veggie/vegan) on a busy Saturday evening. We hadn't booked so had to wait about an hour and a half. Lesson learned: make a reservation.

I loved the atmosphere and ambience. The menu was plentiful and I found it hard to choose. We decided to order a mixture of dishes and share. Our waitress was very nice and helpful and was happy for us to order in stages, which was good as we couldn't have fitted all the dishes onto the table. I also enjoyed looking forward to the next dish.

We ordered the beet and yam chips with dipping sauces (my favourite!), the Mac N Yease (good but too spicy for my taste), the Tempeh/Greens/Quinoa/Peach Salad (I'm not a big fan of Tempeh so wouldn't order again) and a pesto flatbread (nice although a bit on the sweet side).

I will probably visit again but want to try a few other places first.

Pros: Ambiance, Presentation, Location
Cons: Relatively small - make a reservation
Smallu
Smallu

One of the best!!

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2014

I've been going to Plum since it opened in 2010. The food never disappoints, the service tends to run a little slow but the servers are very friendly and helpful. This is the best place to get vegan brunch in Seattle and a great date night location. One of the top three vegan restaurants in the city.

Pros: Delicious Food, Approachable food for non-vegs, Ambiance
Cons: Parking, Drinks

TableForOne
TableForOne

Gourmet burger bliss

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

I went on a very busy Saturday evening and ordered the gourmet portobello burger to go. Embarrassingly, when it came to paying, i was 70 cents short of the total, but the waitress was super-nice and said she'd cover it. It was easily the best vegan burger i've ever tasted and it came with an unexpected helping of human kindness. Deep thanks and highest praise.

Pros: Best burger, generous staff
PlantStrongEats
PlantStrongEats

Delicious Brunch!

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

My husband and I tried Plum Bistro after purchasing a Groupon. The food was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! It was so good we ended up going for brunch again the next day after we ran the Hot Chocolate 5K. In the two times we went the each tried different entrees so we had the opportunity to try 4 different meals. I would have any one of them again and highly recommend checking out this restaurant. It is a little more pricey than the average brunch, but it's worth every penny!

Cheers!

Pros: Delicious, Great atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Parking can be challenging, Bathroom needs a code and is down stairs
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

This meal made me emotional in a good way!

5 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2013

First off I would like to mention that my Mom who passed away a few years ago made the best biscuits ever. I have never been able to replicate them myself and have given up on trying.
This place was amazing from the get go. It was both a laid back but also classy atmosphere. The menu had so many amazing things that I had a hard time choosing. I decided on the Mushroom/Pepper Skillet. When it came out I was a little unsure because the "grits" looked like weird white oatmeal/blended rice. However the biscuit and gravy with the fried (I think it was a piece of field roast?) thing made the whole dish work together in blend of heavenly flavours. The biscuit tasted exactly like my Mom's. To the point I got teary and my husband looked at me like I was insane. When I mentioned why he tried it and agreed. It was soo good. The only thing that would have made the biscuit better was some strawberry jam. Then it would have been just like Mom's.
Go here! You won't be disappointed and maybe you'll also have childhood memories flood back with the gourmet/comfort food.

Pros: Just like Mom's!, Good portions, Kinda fancy but also laid back
Cons: Waaaay too hot in there
Heather V
Heather V

As good as it gets!!

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

As I always say, I usually like to visit a place a few times before I write my review, and I have been many times (happy hour, dinner, even lunch). What a fun little find the Plum Bistro is!!

I bought a groupon for burgers and beers for two (this is how I discovered Plum Bistro), but we got there too early to use them, so we just purchased items off the happy hour menu (which ends up being quite the deal, you'll save mucho dinero). We ordered Buffalo seitan wings (holy expletive!! AMAZING!), Jamaican sliders, frites w chipotle aioli, Mac & Yease. Seriously they were all amazing.

The mac and yease has got to be one of the best mac and cheeses I've ever had, and it's vegan. Rich and flavorful with just a hint of spice. Really tasty. The Buffalo seitan wings were SO GOOD (and I can assure you, I don't even usually like this kind of food), they were spicy as hell, but the dipping sauce (which is WAY better than ranch, I usually don't even like ranch!) was cooling enough that you just went back for more. The sliders were amazing (try the Jamaican Jerk tofu), but the caramelized onions and rich sauce made us clear our plates. Overall, this experience was A+ -- I think I said several times, that my taste buds were doing cart wheels. FLAVOR OVERLOAD was the feeling I left with, thinking, if all vegan food was like this, the entire world would be vegan.

Hubby had a beer, they have a nice list of organic local brews, and I had a lemonade cocktail special, which was super tasty -- not sweet at all -- and rimmed with sugar and pepper flakes. I was so inspired, I went home and tried to reproduce it. I am a picky drinker, and I was pretty damn impressed with this cocktail.

Atmosphere was good, not super comfy (small tables, small chairs, somewhat tight space) but still super cute, the restrooms are downstairs and are very clean. Service was great, food was quick and our server was very sweet. She gave us her recommendations, and I'm glad we tried them.

Definitely will visit Plum Bistro again soon, what a GREAT find!! I can imagine this place gets busy, as its a small venue, so get there early or call to make sure there's space before you head over.

Pros: Food!, Drinks, Staff
Cons: Small location
soph
soph

One of my favorites

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

Yes, this is one of my favorite vegan restaurants. So good! Great place to go with non-veg people. Prices are a little high. It's a nice, pretty, clean place.

Pros: vegan, delicious, nice atmosphere
EverydayTastiness
EverydayTastiness

Awesome Dinner

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

Reservations were recommended, but we decided to risk it. We were lucky and got the last table.

For an appetizer we had their spicy Cajun Mac ‘n’ Yease their signature mac ‘n’ cheese. It was amazing. Made from nutritional yeast and other goodies before being baked. The flavor and texture were so good. I’m salivating as I write this. It was the best non-dairy mac ‘n’ cheese either of us have ever had. My favorite thing from the whole meal.

I wanted the ‘Crazy Jamaican Burger’, but they were out, so I had the BBQ Burger instead. It had a tangy BBQ sauce seitan on a home made bun with grilled sweet onions and mustard. The BBQ and fries were great, but I found the bun to be a bit lacking. It was just a squishy “white” bread that wasn’t very satisfying in either the taste or texture department.

My wife had the breaded Portobello steaks with grilled fennel and smashed purple potatoes. She is a huge mushroom fan and really enjoyed the ‘steaks’. She was a bit disappointed with the flavor of the potatoes.

For desert, we had a raspberry tart. It was a tasty way to end the meal. We both enjoyed our food and would go back again next time we are in the Seattle area.

Pros: Cajun Mac ‘n’ Yease
foosgoddess
foosgoddess

AMAZING vegan food.

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

This is a great restaurant. The food was a heavenly experience. I couldn't believe how amazing it was. There was nothing plane jane about it either, everything was super flavorful. If you are in the area don't miss out on this place!

Pros: Amazing food. , Super flavorful, Different menus for a variety
Cons: Not a lot of seating. , A bit pricey, Chairs and tables are small.
CyneEnright
CyneEnright

great food for everyone, including a 7 year old

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

Went to Plum a few months ago with my partner and his omni family and everything we ordered was amazing. i really liked the pasta with white sauce and the deserts. the 7 year old liked the soup and pizza (of course).

Very friendly staff and quick service.

glad everything was vegan-- as i am highly allergic to milk, i typically cannot eat pasta out.

Pros: pretty restaurant, great food, all vegan
Cons: a bit noisy, a bit pricy
sallyvonbutane
sallyvonbutane

Brilliant food, average service.

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2013

I take great pleasure when a non-vegan/vegetarian is over the moon for a vegan dish. This is always the case at Plum, where there is never a lack of flavor or satiety in any of their food.

I've had a couple of near misses with the salads, limp greens or greens that were overdressed, but for the most part, we're talking consistent 5-star amazingness.

Yesterday I had the tofu Reuben, a crunchy, finger-lickin' savory sandwich that was oozing with freshly made kraut, vegan secret sauce (Veganaise and ketchup?) and vegan cheeze. It was served alongside a small mixed green salad, a bit overdressed (less is more Plum peeps!) but still scrumptious.

My girlfriend had the macho burrito with soyrizo, a hearty fat burrito sammy filled to the brim with spicy goods.

Other stellar menu items are at brunch, the tofu Benedict bringing tears to my eyes or the choco-peanut butter pancakes. Dishes at brunch are on the pricey side but everything is scratch made and love-filled.

As far as vegan goes, Plum certainly ranks at the top for me.

Pros: Fresh food, Elegant combinations, Special occasion
Cons: Pricey, Parking, Service
SummerMorgan
SummerMorgan

Good Vegan Food!

3 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

Nice resturant to go to when on the hill. But way to expensive ..

Pros: Location, Service
Cons: Price
bwolmarans
bwolmarans

Twice Dipped Seiten

3 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2013

$18. Small portion. Undercooked Asparagus but nice big Spears. Potato very good. Main dish the Seiten itself was a steak twice fried hard as rock, and with only one flavor: pepper. Upside is wonderful atmosphere and presentation but again left wondering if they are taking advantage of Vegan commitment by getting sloppy on the preparation. Overall very disappointed especially for the price. Next time will try the Seiten Wellington for $21 (!) and hopefully they wont mess that one up.

Pros: Atmosphere, Service, Presentation
Cons: Flavor , All, Pepper
JMNL
JMNL

Good!

4 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2013

On our visit to Seattle we enjoyed our food at Plum so much we went back the very next evening.
It's in a nice building with a nice interior although it seemed a bit crowded with too many tables. There's more than enough staff though so there's no waiting around. In fact, sometimes they were too fast with everything so that we got our entree when we hadn't even finished our appetizers yet and while I was still eating my entree they asked if I was done (which I was clearly not) so they could take my plate . The prices they ask for their food seems fair as it is really good, but then the service doesn't live up to that. That being said, the staff was really nice and friendly.
As for the food, everything we had was incredibly tasty; the avocado rolls as an appetizer are very good but also quite filling. Their handmade pastas are good and the burgers are also great, especially the fresh herb grilled seitan steak which comes with the yam & beet chips (which you can also order as an appetizer) served with their dill aioli, the best aioli ever! Desserts are very nice except for with every dessert we had they either were very skimpy with the scoop of ice cream it came served with (the rhubarb-plum tart with in this case 1/3 scoop of cardamom ice cream), or either they forgot an ingredient listed on the menu altogether (chocolate tart with a berry sauce, but the sauce was missing). Rhubarb-plum tart was amazing though.
But I would definitely recommend anyone to go there!

Pros: great food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: not as upscale as expected with prices, skimpy and careless with desserts
ZuZu
ZuZu

Seattle is stepping it up!

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2013

Thanks to those discount coupons from Strangermart, my sweetie and I decided it was time to find out what was happening inside the swanky Plum Bistro and we were pleasantly surprised that there is a top end restaurant serving something besides mushrooms to vegans these days! Those handmade raviolis with the cream sauce were super yummy and a giant plate of salad is all it takes to keep me happy. The wait staff were off the chart pros - complimenting your excellent choices with the gentlest hand on your back, no judgement on the water as beverage thing... Our waiter was so friendly, he even comped our desert! Talk about sealing the deal, I'm in love with Plum Bistro. The main issue if any is that they need to tone down the wheat and soy thing they've got going on. The cutting edge of vegan needs to be soy minimal, I think. I am curious how many of the staff are vegetarians. It doesn't really matter, pros are running the show, but I wonder if they're mostly just capturing the burgeoning vegan marketplace. No problem if they are, I'm just adjusting to the new world and digging it.

Pros: gourmet vegan food, great service, excellent taste
Cons: that is a whole lotta soy, baby, $$$, you will need parking luck or the bus
VeganNeppy
VeganNeppy

One of the best vegan date spots around

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

Want to woo your vegan partner? Go HERE! The place is great, Mac and Yease is to die for, and their main dishes will not disappoint.

However, pricey, pricey, pricey! Ow, my wallet still hurts!

Great drinks too! But booze will shoot up the tab even more...

Pros: Fancy Shmancy, Cool Staff, Great date place
Cons: Too much money, Where did my money go, again?, No more paycheck
Fabien
Fabien

classy and delicious

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

I've been here twice for Sunday brunches and once for dinner--the dinner was pretty nice, and the brunches were insanely scrumptious things of dreams. They really know their ways around tofu here--tofu scrambles with delicate mushroom flavors; baked tofu on "avocado toast" with creamy dill spread; and an amazing appetizer: a mason jar full of kale, cooked with tiny, smoky, crispy bits of tofu.

I wasn't as wild about my linguine alfredo w/ capers--kind of a one-note flavor--but then I should have listened to my server, who recommended the other two pasta dishes. And I found my friend's tempeh vermouth to be too lemony.

But, both brunches were beyond reproach. Including a spectacular chocolate crepe, and a fabulous array of mimosas. It's particularly nice in the daytime, because the full wall of glass lets light pour from the street into the vast, high-ceilinged space with middle-earthly vertical wall plantings.

Servers have always been lovely. Though they don't seem entirely... happy--I sense a weight of managerial oppression in the air.

Pros: SCRUMPTIOUS, airy, mimosas!
veggie*
veggie*

Great food

3 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2012

I ate here with my partner, and they sat us down at this huge table. We asked for a smaller table, but the waiter said they were reserved, even though we were the only ones at the restaurant besides another couple. That was kind of weird. I had a pizza, which was fantastic. I was surprised it didn't have cheese, but I loved it regardless.

Pros: great food
Cons: service was a bit snobby
Guest
Guest

Make dinner at home!

2 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

Sure it tastes good but its really something you can make yourself easily. Go to Madison market Co-op up the street and buy their delicious and equaly pricy vegetables and make a candle light dinner at home. Or get the burgers cause it will atleast give you enough food. The portions are TINY! Nice cocktails tho.

Pros: Cocktails, Feels fancy
Cons: Price, Size of portions
vegan frog
vegan frog

Excellent in Seattle

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

Yes the food is rich, yes it's quite pricey, yes it's noisy but this place is so delicious. Have been to Plum Bistro on every single visit to Seattle in the last 2 years and have never been disappointed by the food. They changed their menu in the last few months and we recently tried the tempeh vermouth, an absolute gem. Double dip seitan was really good too but came with a steak knife. Come on, we don't need that, it's just seitan!
We usually go for dinner and for brunch the next day and come back stuffed. The tofu benedict, and crepes (savoury and sweet) are so scrumptious they need to be experienced. And of course the spicy Mac and Yease is out of this world. Service is ok, not often amazing but we don't care so much, we go for the food.

Pros: Amazing choices, Vegan crepes, Mac and Yease
Cons: Sometimes long wait, A bit too noisy
andreafbe
andreafbe

Good food, poor service

3 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

I like the atmosphere of Plum Bistro and the food was tasty for both me and my companion (oddly though we were offered the Brunch menu late in the afternoon). Our waitress was totally indifferent about waiting on us or answering any questions we had, which were very basic. She couldn't be bothered to refill drinks and never asked if we wanted dessert (we had planned on having dessert). I would try this place again and hope for better service. If the service didn't improve I wouldn't go back.

Pros: Good atmosphere, Tasty food
Cons: Poor, indifferent service
PatandSara2011
PatandSara2011

Nice Place

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

This place is really nice, small but really cool space. It is in a really pretty building. The service is good. My problem was we seemed to be at the only table in the restaurant that was placed extremely poorly. We came in when there were only a few other diners so we could have easily been placed at a better table. The table we were at should not even have been there in our opinion. It was RIGHT by the host stand and with someone standing there the whole time and other diners coming in it was extremely uncomfortable. We were also in the direct line of fire of the staff coming out of the kitchen. My boyfriend had to check and see if he could put his elbows out to cut up his food before eating it!!!

That being said the food is great. I had the double-dipped seitan steak with gravy, red potatoes, and grilled asparagus. SO good! I am not a fan of seitan but it sounded good and I am glad I got it. It was by far the best seitan I have ever had. My boyfriend got the buffalo portobello pizza. It was great! Amazing flavors!

Pros: all vegan , great food, nice staff
Cons: table placement, small space
VeganYUMYUM
VeganYUMYUM

Amazing gourmet food!

5 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2012

WOW! Amazing food. Pricey, but well worth it! Great atmosphere, too. The Mac n cheese is unbelievable, and the entrees are all unique and delicious!

Pros: Delicious, Contemporary atmosphere, Many options
Cons: Expensive
juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Plum Bistro

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2012

Wonderful vegan restaurant. BBQ Po'Boy sandwich. It was amazing. Good service and nice atmosphere. Will be back.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 28, 2009

Pros: Big portion, Good selection
Cons: Small tables
stormka
stormka

First experience with Seattle's veg

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

Coming from a city that is known for its off-the-chain veg options, I was pleasantly surprised to have my first experience in Seattle completely blow me away. Tiramisu pancakes is just in another league as far as breakfast. I even had my omnivorous guest reeling over this place. The staff is really casual and friendly and I love that the kitchen is open to the restaurant. Inspiring to see a well-run kitchen. My only gripe is that I couldn't eat more in one sitting.

Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Great for a night out

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2012

Perfect place for a celebratory meal or a night out. Their food is to die for and their Mac n yease is heavenly. A little pricey, but worth it.

DollyWiggles
DollyWiggles

Stunning

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2012

Really lovely location and beautiful building. Quite cozy too.

I had the Really Big Burger is by far the best tofu burger I have ever had, but everything is just wonderful. The Quinoa burger is awesomely spicy and the Seitan Steak is just fantastic. Not to mention the the amazing homemade buns for the burgers.

The icing on the cake is that the whole menu is all vegan AND organic. The organic bit does make it a little more pricey, but I actually found that my portions were more than genorous.

Pros: Ambiance, Fantastic food, Great service
Cons: Dining area on the small side
melrow
melrow

This place is amazing!

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

We have eaten here twice so far and LOVE it! The first visit was for dinner- you must try their specialty- mac n ease (?)! I had a quinoa burger with sweet potato fries and it was fabulous! We had excellent service too! Later that week we went for brunch and had a seitan benedict and chocolate crepes, both of which were very very good too..and French press coffee. Will definitely go back again and again!

Pros: great service, generous portions, delicious!
Cons: family-style seating with strangers
twinkle
twinkle

I fell in love with a sandwich

4 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2011

I went to Plum when I was visiting a friend in Seattle. We popped in because it is in her neighborhood and we were so glad we did! We shared 'a sandwich' and a salad, and there was so much food left that we had to take some on the road with us.
The atmosphere was very beautiful and the service was great.
But the sandwich, sweet sandwich, was the most delicious thing I have ever eaten in my entire life. It was a Jamaican jerk tempe wrap, and I would go back to Seattle just to eat it again.
If you have a chance, be sure to stop in!

Pros: Jamaican jerk tempe sandwich, Atmosphere
Cons: Salad just so-so
Nomeatforme
Nomeatforme

Yes please.

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2011

I've been here a few times and always enjoyed what I had. At first they seem kind of pricey, but once you start eating you realize "we should have shared." I like decor as well and the staff is very friendly!

The menu is pretty small though and I'm not a big fan of restaurants offering different things at different times of the day. I understand the need for it though considering I have never seen more than 2 other groups of people in here at a time. But I was very unhappy once when I specifically went there for a sandwich and found out I didn't come at the right time for it.

I wish I could give it 4.5 cows as I think the small menu is a bit of an issue, but I really enjoy it and will definitely go back!

Pros: Good sandwiches, friendly staff, Very clean
Cons: Small menu, menu time dependent
LaurenStilphen
LaurenStilphen

Perfection

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2011

I have been to vegan places all across the country and this is close to, if not at, number one. This is true gourmet, and you really don't have to be vegan to appreciate it. I have heard non vegan customers going crazy over the mac and "cheese", unable to believe that it didn't have cheese. The tempeh vermouth is heavenly the drinks are delicious, and the staff super friendly. I would say this place is worth a trip out of your way just to try the amazing food.

Pros: Amazing Food, Great Service, Cool Building
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Plum Bistro

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2011

We really enjoyed Plum Bistro, but there were a few things that fell short. We went ate here late on Friday and it was slightly busy, but one thing that we annoyingly observed is that our waitress was serving all of the tables while two waitresses lounged around doing nothing - our service was very slow and many things were forgotten because of this.

We started our meal with the cauliflower appetizer, it was good and had nice flavor overall. Then I ordered the Double-Dipped Seitan and my bf ordered the El Besito Caliente. We shared our meals and we both really enjoyed the seitan dish, it came with potatoes and asparagus covered in gravy, it was great overall. But the burger, El Besito Caliente was a different story. While the flavoring of the burger was nice, the texture of the tofu killed it. The tofu was actually hard to swallow and actually scrapped our throats like brillo pads - we had to drink tons of water to get it down. That said, we highly do not recommend the tofu burgers, but the seitan dish was a definite hit. Despite the service aspect of our experience, Plum Bistro would definitely be a regular place for us to eat if we lived in the area.

kindlizard
kindlizard

Updated again x2; STILL dreadful service

3 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2011

** An update: their service has seemingly gotten worse, or it may just be I forgot how bad service can be. They gave away our table after waiting an hour. They kept taking the kid's menu before they ordered. Took another hour to order. BRUTAL service, don't bring kids. Food still great but small portions. Get it right Plum, please! The blonde boy is lost, as is the short tatted girl. Y'all need to step up to match the effort the back of house gives. Service sadly has no idea of how to be gracious hosts, serve promptly and courteously. You think you must be on hidden camera or that the water they serve makes you invisible. Tragic servers. Good food once you get it. Owners, feel free to hire new FOH staff. *end of 2nd update*

It seems like this place is VERY inconsistent. We have had terrible experiences here and delightful times here. The only consistent thing we experience here is DREADFUL SERVICE. This last time we were here we waited to get the check for 20 minutes and waited for the check back for another 20 minutes. It isn't as though they are ever "too busy" either, it just seems like they lack organization and set no expectations for their waitstaff. We heard the diners next to us comment on their service issue as well.

The food here this last time, the same item I ordered previously, was not at all the same preparation. This time, the apple sage seitan was completely drenched and soggy without any texture. When it was "good" it was more on a bread texture than a truer seitan texture. I think they use the short method of seitan production, whereas the long way is so much better.

We order a lot of food when we go. The best item is the arugula-pear salad (w filberts). They also have great onion rings, but that only comes as three or four on the side of my entree, not as a side.

I got a dessert of chocolate w strawberries. She brought it out w cranberries. Not at all the same. She moaned saying she could try to find some strawberries, but... and I told her yes, to do so bc that is what I ordered. The service here is very unprofessional. Seattle has a lot of service issues, granted, but this is truly outlandish; negotiating w a server for what you order.

I have to order everything w/o cilantro. They over-use it here, which is more common than ever sadly.

On their good nights they execute better. Also sadly, it may still be the best of the strictly vegan cafes in Seattle.

Pros: good food, vegan, latin cuisine
Cons: SERVICE STINKS, Wildly Inconsistent, you may think service is pulling a prank
EP
EP

Plum perfect

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2011

Come hungry, thirsty, tired and weary from travel. Leave much later, much happier. Call to see if you need a reservation. Have fun. I did....

Pros: Food, Local beers, Ferrari dealership down the block...
Cons: out of date website
jperez253445
jperez253445

AMAZING

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2011

the workers are so polite and the service is amazing!!! My mother who is not Vegan loved the food. They really take pride in their creations on the menu, and you can tell in the way its prepared! Its a little pricy but well worth the money :)

Pros: amazing food, amazingly friendly staff, quick service!
Cons: Small, crowded
peacenik
peacenik

Amazing atmosphere and food

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2011

The layout and decor makes for a very nice, classy atmosphere and the menu offerings and prices reflect that. We got very average service, nothing to complain or rave about. I ordered the El Besito Caliente and my SO got the Cajun Tempeh Burger, we shared our sandwiches and loved them both, couldn't decide which was best. The sweet potato fries were good, but the sauce drizzled on top of them was to die for. Went in later in the evening so there was only one other table occupied by an older couple and it was so nice having the place mostly to ourselves. The weather was beautiful and the big windows in front made everything feel very comfortable, open and relaxed. A little expensive but the norm for this type of restaurant/offerings. Also, my leftover sandwhich was even better cold the next day!

Pros: Excellent food, Fantastic atmosphere, Unique offerings
Cons: Slightly Snobby
DCvegangirl
DCvegangirl

Not worth it

2 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2010

First, I'm vegan - and I want to support vegan businesses. This is my first review on Happy Cow - because I feel so strongly about it.
I ate here with my boyfriend two weeks ago. We were in Seattle visiting for the weekend - and went out of our way to go to Plum Bistro because of the many positive reviews on Happy Cow. I asked for recommendations from our waitress (who was great) and my boyfriend ordered the Mama Africa Burger and I ordered a Seitan Dish with Olives and Mushrooms. His dish was pretty terrible. Mine was worse - it was the saltiest dish I've ever had. Overall, the food was really flat, there was no balance to the flavors and nothing redeeming about it. I wanted to give them only one star, but I can't do that on Happy Cow. Plum Bistro is actually the worst vegan restaurant I've ever been to. And to top it off, the hot toddy I ordered and the cocoa that my boyfriend ordered weren't good either. :(
It could be that the night I went was a complete fluke. What scares me is that the items we ordered were highly recommended by the waitress.
By the way, the service was really great. Our waitress was sweet, which is maybe why we felt so bad that we didn't say anything.

Pros: Service
Cons: Food, Drinks
ochibawolf
ochibawolf

Trendy!

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2010

My meat eating cousin who lives in seattle took my husband and I(we are vegans from KS) out to eat at this very fancy vegan restaurant. This was my cousin's first time eating veg. We ordered the mac and cheese and it's probably the best vegan mac n' cheese I've ever tasted. You cannot go here and not ordered that! For my main course I ordered the cabbage and brown rice bundles. Honestly it sounds much better than it was. What came was a soggy mess, that was hard to eat. It was too runny. But I'm still not letting this ruin my experience of this place. All the appetizers were great, and I also tried my husbands burger, which was tasty. I'll just need to stay away from those bundles next time. :)

Pros: organic food, fancy
Cons: small portions
Stevie
Stevie

Plum bistro, Seattle

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

I went here this morning. The menu changes throughout the day and my guess is the menu I was choosing from was the lunch menu. Food available was under 3 headings - sandwiches / wraps, salads and entrees. Everything is vegan veggie so I asked the waitress to recommend something for me. I ended up having the sweet & spicy Jamaican tofu wrap. I warned the waitress that I didn't find generally chilli agreeable but she said I would be fine with this so that is what I had.

Firstly it's a big sandwich so I am glad I didn't order an entree. Secondly kit tasted great and the waitress was vindicated in her judgement. Good value at $10.

The setting is an interesting building (you'd need to see it for yourself) and is around a 15 min walk outside of downtown. Staff are friendly and all in all this was a big winner for me.

Update - I've just had brunch here and had the squash soup (excellent) and then some pancakes as recommended by the waitress. It was enough for 2 people and a couple of them I have taken away and will have later.

Pros: 100% Vegan veggie, tasty food, Helpful staff
Vegite
Vegite

Fancy, Fresh, and Expensive

3 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

To be fair, I have only been to this restaurant once so far. I found the service to be excellent; it felt like fine dining to me. The food served was incredibly fresh and decorative. The atmosphere is warm and romantic. The seating is a little tight, but I enjoy that. The major qualm I have is the price. The dishes we ordered seemed really expensive for the quantity. But, if fine, organic vegan, raw dining is what you seek, this might be your cup of tea. There aren't many non-raw options, and they are in the $15 - $17 range. I still prefer Cafe Flora for this expensive of a meal, because it is somewhat more creative and extensive in its menu options. But I will definitely come to Plum Bistro again.

Pros: organic, fresh, raw, vegan, gluten-free options, romantic atmosphere
Cons: pricey!!! Come here with $$
Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet

Had to go there twice!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2010

My boyfriend and I were visiting Seattle for the first time as vegans and wanted to try out as many places as we could but we were so impressed with Plum Bistro that we had to go there for a weekend brunch as well as dinner! We tried their version of macaroni and cheese and thought it was better than any we remembered eating as omnivores. We also ordered their Quinoa Nachos, Portabello appetizer, cornmeal crusted seitan with mushroom gravy, and the seitan with mole sauce (not all of this was in one visit! ha ha) and thought all were excellent! We also tried their drinks such as Spanish Lemonade and Sangria and were also impressed! We were impressed with their prices because we are used to paying more at the limited vegan places where we live. We highly recommend Plum Bistro for the food, ambiance, price, service and location!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, open window option on nice days
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Wonderful Dining Experience

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2010

I went to Plum a couple of nights ago, and was really impressed. The place was very elegant, but was still very laid back (the waiter was in t-shirt and jeans).
The food was amazing and the prices were a little high, but actually cheaper than I expected. My husband and I split the avocado sushi roll for an appetizer, which was very tasty (although I have never heard of cheese, vegan or otherwise, in a sushi roll) and served with a spicy chipolte mayo.
I had the seitan steak with wild mushroom gravy, potatoes, and chard. It was so good; I would recommend this whole heartedly! My husband had the potato Parmesan over pasta, which was pretty good also.

We will definitely return when visiting Seattle for a nice meal out.

Pros: Delicious Food, Elegant Atmosphere, Nice Drink List
Cons: A little pricy
lilmammal
lilmammal

Wow.

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2010

Wow! Gormet vegan bistro. The creativity in dishes is remarkable and the desserts are out of this world. The environment is nice, with fresh flowers on the tables and a chic modern design. This is not an inexpensive restaurant, but it is worth the price. I had a mushroom and swiss chard crepe and my companion enjoyed a vegan take on the po' boy sandwich for lunch.

Pros: upscale
Cons: expensive
annabrick
annabrick

Over-complicated and over-priced

2 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2010

I'm really surprised by the high ratings. I found the food to be a letdown. Plum seems to be a more expensive version of Hillside Quickie's (same owner): the same flavors but not as good. I would call it "faux fussy." Too many ingredients (I had the Wild Ginger Salad) that were not that harmonious. The tofu was overly teriyaki'd and the texture was downright spongey. My partner's dish also suffered the same problem: a bunch of ingredients that seemed to be thrown together without regard to whether they taste that good together. I have no problem spending $13 or more for a salad, but not one that I wouldn't want to finish. On the bright side, the setting is pretty and the service was friendly. I wanted to like Plum, but I'll stick to Hillside Quickie's.

goldie711
goldie711

Excellent

5 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

Ok, I'm a vegan "foodie" and am shocked that I never heard of Plum before. EXCELLENT. Not in Horizon or Millenium's league but a really great restaurant. So happy I found it on Vegguide's list during my recent trip to Seattle.They make mock white russians and really have a done a great job on the creativity front. I ordered a few items from their appetizer menu. The sliders were awesome. Great location and perfect atmosphere. Will recommend!

Pros: cocktails, location, decor
jevanses
jevanses

Mac 'n' Yease will change your life

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2010

The mac 'n' yease appetizer is the best macaroni and cheese I've ever had, even when compared with those consumed during my non-vegan days of home-baked gooey casseroles, velveeta, and kraft. The place is small but the dinners are outstanding. Do not go here without getting the mac 'n' yease! Can be a wee bit pricey, but it's totally worth it.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, small
itsprovn
itsprovn

Yummy and spicy

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2010

Best Bloody Mary ever! Very, very tasty. The sandwiches were very good as well. When they say spicy they mean it. Would definitely come back.

Pros: Bloody Mary, Location, Food
Mighty Vegan
Mighty Vegan

Adorable place with outstanding service

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2009

My husband and I dined at Plum Bistro. We loved the ambiance. It had a cozy romantic feel. The staff and service was outstanding. They could not be friendlier or more helpful. We wanted to love the place. The menu had so many options that sounded fabulous. Then the food came and the presentation was wonderful. Unfortunately though, everything we ordered was excessively salty- to the point that it took away from our enjoyment of the food. We had the Tofu kebabs, the pecan salad, and the seitan/mac & yeese plate. If the food had not been so salty we would love this place. It had all the characteristics of a perfect restaurant.

Pros: ambience, service, creativity of menu
Cons: too salty, pricey
Green Bird
Green Bird

Impressive

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2009

We recently moved to the area and have been excited trying out new restaurants. We visited here last night and were very pleased. The menu is very exciting, we had a hard time deciding what to get. I ended up getting their pizza of the day which was a Margarita pizza with vegan mozzarella, a unique and tasty sauce, basil and tomato. It was very tasty and I ate half and saved the other half for lunch the next day. My husband got the seitan sandwich and he loved it too.

It was nice to see it drawing in many non-veg people, I heard the next table asking what seitan was and the server explaining. It's fancy enough for a nice night out, but not cheap enough for regular, quick, after work trips.

We didn't get dessert but we did ask what they usually have and they said it's a rotating menu so it changes often. That night they had rice pudding and cheesecake. I almost regretted not getting the dessert when the server walked by with a slice for another table. It's walking distance for us so I'm sure we'll be back often and next time I'll try the dessert.

I'm with the last reviewer, why is there still no website for this place??

Pros: Unique Menu, Many options, Rotating items
Cons: No website
Soules
Soules

Awesome.

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2009

Absolute dream of a place! Close to my apartment on the Hill, comforting and delicious food, smiling faces, worry-free dining. The Mac-n-Yease is superb, as are the sandwiches and wraps. What's up with the website though (there isn't one as of 8/19/2009). Cheers!

Pros: Delicious, Delicious, Delicious
Cons: No website