All-vegan pizzeria also serving paninis, burgers, hot dogs plus kid friendly food. Opened Nov 2012. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Pizza, American, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by macmantrl
vegankiddo
vegankiddo

Mediocre pizza, but glad it's all vegan

2 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2014

I've given this place about 5 tries before writing a review, but I must confess, I'm not sure what all the hype is about. Yes, it's great to have an all-vegan pizza spot in the South Bay, but the pizza is definitely not delicious. The sauce just tastes like tomato paste straight from the can. To their credit, the crust (especially the gluten free version) is pretty good. I've tried the Hawaiian pizza, but did not like the "ham" on there at all. I've also tried the hot dogs, which were unlike any I've ever bought in the store - odd flavor and texture. On a few other occasions, I've built my own pizzas, but the sauce is just so terribly off-putting and the ingredients don't always seem very fresh. I hate to say it, but I've gone back to the two local chains that do vegan pizzas just because the sauce at Plant Based is so unpalatable. I really would prefer to support vegan businesses (and not have to worry about cross-contamination at the other pizza spots in town), but they really need to work on their sauce. I also have concerns about hygiene at this place. Last time I went in with a friend to pick up our order, and the owner came up to the register, took our money, ran his hands through his hair, and then walked back and resumed working with food without washing his hands first. We both kind of looked at each other and cringed, and haven't been back since.

Pros: good crust, all vegan
Cons: terrible sauce, questionable hygiene practices
earthville
earthville

A good find

4 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

All-vegan pizza place? We're there!

We tried a couple of pies, both of which we liked.

We just wish they would develop their own homemade "cheese" (e.g. a cashew-based one) rather than using the processed commercial stuff.

Enjoy!

laurajo
laurajo

Wow!!!!

5 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2013

This pizza is so amazing! I've had it at least 3 times now and if I lived closer, I would go all the time. Everything about it is perfect, and the inside of the place is very nice, although small. Even if I wasn't vegan, I would indulge in this plant based deliciousness as often as possible.
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 26, 2013

Pros: Yummy, Tasty, Delicious

gr33n0rchid
gr33n0rchid

Not Bad

3 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2013

Cute little place with a simple menu. Sorry if like a Dominoes for vegans. They have hot dogs but no hot wings. Owner and staff are pretty nice. Good location too. Loved meat lover....title cracks me up.

SoledadMoretti
SoledadMoretti

Amazing

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

Delicious vegan pizza! We tried the Mediterranean, and it exceeded our expectations. Also tasty hamburgers and salads.
Friendly staff helped us decide between so many tempting options.
We'll be back and reccommend!

Pros: Delicious food, Good Prices, Friendly staff
LindaDunlapOliva
LindaDunlapOliva

Would go again

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

Tried 3 kinds: Vegan Chicken, 5 Veggies and Mediterranean Pizza all with the fantastic gluten free crust. It reminded me of Udis' which I eat as a cracker sometimes.
The sauce could have used some spices: basil and oregano, for sure. It tasted like a can was just opened and contents poured on.
But the pesto sauce was good on the Mediterranean and I thought that must be why it's popular since it does not have that tomato sauce on it. I believe the chicken one was a garlic sauce instead and it's a favorite too from their website.
None of the veggies tasted cooked enough to me. I don't know if they were like that because the crust was different but it reminded me of my raw pizza days and although not bad, it was not expected. It would be nice if the veggies could be grilled ahead of time and then put on the crust if that was the case.
They sold small packets of cookies if you wanted something sweet and they offered gluten free options there too. We bought 4 different ones and all were good. (2 wheat based and 2 gluten free)
There was a large selection of bottled beverages too which made it easier for them to concentrate on the food itself.
The atmosphere was great. Nice art on the walls, a continuous monitor showing pics from the internets and the chairs were painted lively colors with affirmations on the backs which reminded me of Cafe Gratitude.
Very nice place.

Pros: gluten free options, large variety of beverages, cookies! (also gluten free available)
Cons: sauce needed flavor, veggies could have been cooked more
IsaPerard
IsaPerard

Awesome!

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2013

I had the Hawaiian pizza and it was amazing! Definitely will be coming back here again and again.

kfritz
kfritz

Good Vegan Pizza!

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2013

I visited with my wife and daughter. We ordered the Hawaiian and the Indian Style pizzas. We were also offered a sample of an eggplant pizza while we waited.

The eggplant pizza was on the gluten-free crust, and the crust was surprisingly good -- crunchy on the edges, and a little chewy in the middle. I didn't ask, but I'm guessing it was rice-based. The eggplant were generous, well-cooked slices, along with some Mediterranean spices and the ubiquitous Daiya. Overall, it was quite pleasant.

The Hawaiian "Ham" was quite good -- thin slices of pinkish, tender, faux meat with just a hint of smokiness. I never really liked Hawaiian pizza back when I was eating real ham, but this is a good rendition. The sauce and crust were good, but I think I prefer the gluten-free crust.

The Indian Style was my favorite. It was quite spicy, and had typical Garam masala flavors, a layer of spinach, peppers, onions and, of course, the Daiya.

I'd really like to see a whole-grain option for the crust, and that's the only nit holding me back from a full 5 "happy cows".

Give this place a try!

Pros: Good Pizza
Cons: Only 5 small tables inside
wil
wil

AWEsome Pizza!!!

5 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2013

I was very excited to finally be able to try Plant Based Pizza out on my birthday...and I was NOT dissappointed! The pizza was nice and huge, with the perfect amount of vegan cheese all over it - without having to ask for extra. I can't wait to try another one...not to mention some of the other menu items.

I know my level of enthusiasm might seem ungenuine, or like I'm "green washing" a vegan restaurant... but it really WAS that good!!!

Pros: best pizza!, huge portions, plenty of vegan cheese!!!
Cons: better for take out - small dining area
ericgoldman
ericgoldman

A Great Addition to the South Bay Vegan Scene

4 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

Before Plant-Based Pizza opened in the Willow Glen district of San Jose in November, the Bay Area's leading vegan pizza spot was Pizza Plaza, inconveniently located in Oakland. Now, we have a hometown option! In fact, with the November openings of Plant-Based Pizza and Veggie Grill (just a few days apart), the South Bay vegan scene has gotten a lot more interesting.

Plant-Based Pizza has a small but clean facility with 5 eat-in tables, meaning they don't really expect most customers to eat on-site. On our visit, we got a peppers and shroom pizza slice and a 12" vegan BBQ pizza. The BBQ pizza had a thin crust, daiya cheese, an unobtrusively mild BBQ flavor, non-housemade fake chicken, and a few onion and cilantro here and there. Yet, the flavors worked surprisingly well together, creating an irresistible combination that meant we enjoyed every bite and had no leftovers.

Prices were on the high side of fair. The menu has many more intriguing options to explore. The world needs more vegan pizzerias! Please, let's support this place so it will remain a viable business.

schumacher62
schumacher62

first visit

4 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2013

i live close by and visited plant based with my boyfriend and brother, neither of whom are vegan-vegetarian, but are not afraid to eat veggie. we had two 12" pizzas, and it was plenty of food for the three of us. i had a salad as well, which i will mention later.

the bbq chicken was tasty but overly sweet. the daiya cheese was perfectly melted and hot, and the crust i found to be soft and on the doughy side, which is very much to my liking. the pizza was supposed to have cilantro on top, but they were out so they asked if we wanted basil instead. personally, if you run out of an item on a saturday night, maybe you head over to safeway two blocks away and buy a bunch of cilantro? there were no other vegetables on the pizza flavorwise, i am sure it made no difference, besides the sweetness the pizza was great.

the sausage pizza was equally tasty, with but a few slivers of green and red bells complimenting a very light amount of vegan sausage bits. the sausage was crumbled a bit too finely, so it cooked faster than the pizza itself and ended up a bit over done, but not burned. great crust, we finished both pizzas and they filled us perfectly.

i ordered the garden salad with vegan ranch, and it was fresh and tasty. the only bummer was it came in a lidded sturdy plastic to-go container, which puzzled me (we ate in-house) when i asked our server if they always serve salads in to-go containers she told me it was just a mix-up in the kitchen. when i looked at my receipt, it stated our order was for "take away." i also saw two other diners eating in, with salads in to-go containers. recycled or not, i found it hugely wasteful to be using to-go containers for eating in. i hope they fix this minor problem, saving a few dollars and some environment in the process!

im definately going back, and want to become a regular. small wrinkles after the opening are to be expected, and i know this place will be successful and around for a good long time! great prices, small cozy seating area, and a very informed and high quality of service will help it to do just that.

Pros: lots of parking, all vegan!, selection
Cons: seating, not many veggies
EdGauci
EdGauci

Amazing Pizza

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

I was thrilled to see the "Plant Based Pizza coming soon" sign on my way to TOGO's for one of their two vegan possibilities. Waited a few weeks, and they opened around Thanksgiving 2012.

We've had several of their pizzas so far - no disappointments. The crust is amazing, the toppings excellent. We had panini once. They were OK (the ham and cheese was pretty good) but they don't compare to the pizzas.

The Greek style is my favorite so far. My wife loves the Hawaiian.

Everything is vegan, so don't worry about the names sounding like they may have meat or cheese.

Even if you're not vegan, you will like Plant Based Pizza.

This place is worth a trip even if you don't live right in Willow Glen, San Jose. They do have a few small tables, so you can eat in.

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, fast service
magickbaby
magickbaby

yummy !

5 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2012

This pizza place rocks ! We had the sausage and bell pepper pizza..it was so yummy ! The service is fast, the staff is friendly, and the music good ! The owner is a really cool guy too! Knows his stuff ! My family will be definitly coming back !!!!

Pros: clean, yummy, friendly
Cons: there are none !
macmantrl
macmantrl

Great place to grab some vegan pizza

4 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2012

While there are many pizza places in The Bay area that offer vegan pizzas, not many (if any) are completely vegan, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear about Plant Based Pizza.

I went there on opening day with my fiancée and had a great experience. On the inside, it looks like any other take-out pizza joint -- counter to order at, a few small tables, and the mandatory cooler full of drinks. They also have other niceties that make it appealing, such as brightly painted walls with inspirational sayings and bamboo plants. It was very clean and the staff was really friendly.

We ordered a BBQ "chicken" pizza and a Philly Cheese steak. The cheese steak seemed a little small for the price (~$10) and a little lacking in flavor. It was made with some sort of fake meat, lettuce, tomato, and Daiya cheese on panini bread. It wasn't the best I've ever had, but it wasn't bad.

The pizza, on the other hand, was pretty awesome. It had pizza sauce, Daiya cheese, fake chicken, BBQ sauce, and was topped with cilantro. It was really tasty and I'm definitely looking forward to trying some of their other pizzas.

Another perk, if you're like me and like riding your bike, is that it's (almost) right off the Los Gatos Creek trail, so if you live near that you can take a nice bike ride (or walk) to Plant Based Pizza. That's what we did and a nice ride that ended with vegan pizza.

Overall, I think Plant Based Pizza is a great place to try if you are looking for some vegan food such as pizza, calzones, desserts, salads, and more. On opening day, we got the feeling that they have some things to iron out and room to improve, but I'm sure with time and more experience they will become a great Bay area restaurant.

Pros: friendly staff, fast, good food

Dear Owner and Manager of Plant Based Pizza: