All-vegan restaurant in Asheville featuring local, seasonal, and organic scratch-made food from the earth. The multi-cultural menu includes raw, gluten-free, and house-made infused soda, bread, dessert, non-dairy ice cream and cheese. All beer and wine is also vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Beer/Wine

First Review by Ann Leitgeb
DaveMiami
DaveMiami

This a a fancy but amazing vegan restaurant!

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

It reminds me of "Millennium" in san francisco. At Plant I got the raw enchilada, wow it was so good. Their whole menu looked fantastic! But it is more pricey and fancy, which is fine by me! :)

Pros: Super quality, Menu, Taste, specialty
MarisaClark
MarisaClark

Plant rocks!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2014

This is my second time dining at plant. It's so amazing and some of the best vegan food I've had. Tonight tried the risotto-amazing!!! So creamy and the mushroom and carrots are to dream about. Started with the cheese platter-a must and ended with the blackout pie-delicious!! Highly recommend plant!!!

Ckogge
Ckogge

Fantastic Food

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2014

We were in town visiting the Biltmore Estate and saw Plant on Happy Cow and decided to give it a try. The food was wonderful. We started with the iron skillet olives then had the risotto and applewood smoked porto house. This was some of the best vegan food we have ever had. We also indulged in the Meyer lemon cheesecake and lemongrass ginger ice cream. It was truly delicious. The atmosphere was very relaxed and the servers didn't rush your meal. If you are planning to go on a weekend, reservations are recommended. We look forward to our next visit to Asheville and Plant.

Pros: Excellent food, Great service
ohheynasaurus
ohheynasaurus

Deliciousness!

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2014

My husband and I ate at plant tonight and enjoyed every bite. We started off with the fried plantains and cheese plate. The plantains were so delicious and topped with an awesome dried shiitake bacon. We even heard others in the restaurant raving about how good the bacon was.

The cheese plate was to die for. The rest of the food was incredible as well. We ordered the farro risotto and hazelnut crusted seitan. The risotto was perfect and came with delicious mushrooms and other veggies. The seitan was decadent and the cauliflower purée and broccolini it was served with complemented it perfectly. For desert we ordered the brownie. It came with hazelnuts and ice cream. I am such a hazelnut fan so this made my day.

We were also lucky enough to try the artichoke appetizer and ordered their house-made ginger soda and they were great as well. Yes, the food is a bit pricey but it's worth it and less expensive than other comparable, non-vegan restaurants.

The staff are so friendly and our waitress knew every ingredient in the dishes we asked her about. The kitchen is open to the dining room which makes for a really cool atmosphere too.

So when you get tired of eating vegan nachos and buffalo seitan go to plant. FIVE STARS!

Pros: Creative menu & Gluten free options, Friendly and knowledgable staff, Amazing food & cool environment.
Tigerveg
Tigerveg

FABULOUS!

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

Intimate vegan restaurant in eclectic Asheville! Everything I have tried here has been delicious. Vegan cheese plate, fried plantains, portobello steak with polenta, adobo, seitan, cannoli and brownie will not disappoint. Beautiful presentation and cozy environment. Awesome for special occasion or just a night out. Must try if you are visiting Asheville or live in the area.

Pros: Superb cuisine, Excellent flavors, Intimate environment
Cons: None!

meroe05
meroe05

Even My Omnivore Husband Liked It!

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

Plant offers a healthy yet delicious menu. I tasted 4 different dishes and was delighted by all of them. They were very accommodating to my daughter as she has a nut allergy AND is very picky about her veggies (despite being vegan). The fact that my hubby loved the food was an added bonus. I want to try everything!

Pros: Delicious, Unique, Friendly
Cons: Pricey, Small Menu
Cissy
Cissy

Worth the Drive

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2013

My husband and I have been eating a plant-based diet for a year and a half—ever since he underwent double bypass surgery. We felt either deprived or compromised whenever we ate out until we discovered Plant. The food is fabulous: it's beautiful and delicious. The soups and hummus are divine, but be warned. If you eat an appetizer and an entree, you probably won't have room for one of their decadent desserts. The service is great, and the ambience inside is lovely and friendly. (Their patio outside facing the parking lot doesn't hold much appeal, however.) We spend lots of weekends in western NC, but driving 30 miles to have dinner at Plant is always high on our agenda.

Pros: Delicious, creative, beautiful cuisine, Moderately priced, Charming staff
Cons: No more brunch!, patio on the parking lot
VEGvoyagers
VEGvoyagers

best vegan food ever

5 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2013

Eating at plant had to be one of the best meals we have ever had. The dining room set up is unique because its an open kitchen where you can see the chefs cooking. The presentation was beautiful and the food was fresh. The flavors were excellent along with service. We got a cheese plate and cauliflower soup as an app, wild bbq and farrotto as the main dishes and the brownie with ice cream for dessert. Everything was spectacular, i would highly recommend it. if going on a weekend night, calling ahead for reservations would be a good idea as it fills up fast.

Pros: great service, high quality, fun environment
CyneEnright
CyneEnright

Really good food

5 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

We really liked the food and the atmosphere. The price was commencerate with the service and quality. I would say it was close to Plum Bistro good.

Pros: Nice waitstaff, Good quality food, Clean
gwild
gwild

gourmet vegan

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

Everything we ate was outstanding. We tried the S'nuts and the "cheese" platter. The two types of "cheese" were made from cashews and were delicious.
We also ordered the raw enchilada and the jerk tofu. My daughter had the portobello steaks over polenta with sautéed greens. The grilled polenta was amazing. The sauce on the portobellos was a bit strong but still very good. Our total bill was $84 with tip for 4 of us. This was a splurge for us but well worth the price.

Pros: delicious , raw options, friendly service
Cons: small dining room
earthmother30
earthmother30

Happiness!

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

Stopped at Plant for dinner while visiting Asheville. It was a peaceful dining experience knowing that everything on the menu was vegan! Beautifully prepared food, everything tasted amazing. Between everyone at our table we had the nightly soup-a Thai tomato, hazelnut crusted seitan, red curry tofu, and jerk seitan. We all sampled each other's meals and they were all delicious.

Pros: amazing, VEGAN, did I say amazing?
Cons: ambiance is a bit lacking
jkirk
jkirk

YUMM!!

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

Plant was delicious!! I went with an omni friend, and even she liked it! Portion size was perfect, I even had a little left for leftovers. I don't know what they do to their hummus, but it was incredible, and I'm usually bored by hummus. Do NOT skip desert! They make their own ice cream, and it's amazing. It's very creamy, not like flavored ice.

Pros: Delicious, Fresh, Creative
wuthering
wuthering

Save up!!

3 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

Can't fault the food, it's good, really. But holy moly, is it expensive. Hubby and I shared a tiny vegan cheese appetizer ($11), a main course and we had three $4 beers. This came, with tax and tip, to $52. Now, I know they're going for fine dining, so sure, charge a lot. But, it keeps normal, veg*ns from going more often, and instead caters for the rich. Shame, because I'd like to eat there more often.
As an example, we've eaten in loads of other restaurants in Asheville with a starter, main and drinks and our bill is around $20-25 including tax and generous tip.
I'd have given 4 cows if it wasn't so expensive - the food is worth 4, but they lose a cow on price.

Pros: Vegan done well
Cons: Very expensive, Must drive to it (not downtown), Most dishes concentrate on mushrooms
Carrie C. Reid
Carrie C. Reid

Best Vegan Food Ever!

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

I am OBSESSED with this place! The place is a fine dining vegan restaurant, which is extremely rare in the vegan world. They have the best cannoli ever, taste like so authentic, my italian grandma would be proud. All of the food tastes fantastic here. The head chef is well trained, passionate about creating excellent meals, and executes well. The staff is friendly, and very knowledgeable about their vegan ingredients. The food is pretty and the choices are incredible. I go to Asheville (a four hour ride) just to go to this restaurant. It is not a great choice for children, which is nice as a romantic vegan option. LOVE IT!

Pros: Everything
Tsuki
Tsuki

A MUST

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2013

Everything they create is art. It is my absolute favorite restaurant! I make sure to visit Plant every time I vacation here!
(Make sure to try the cheese plate!)
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 12, 2013

Pros: SO YUMMY, BEAUTIFUL, GREAT ATMOSPHERE
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Happy to Have Checked it Out

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

I ate at Plant while briefly in Asheville for a concert. Since it appeared to be the only (though not anymore) all-vegan restaurant in the city, I could not resist even if dining alone.

I sat at the bar in this semi-upscale locale where, once stepped foot inside, you can tell they place an importance on service. They feature a lovely open kitchen dining room with added bar stool seating, where I situated myself. The staff and cooks were very friendly, fraternizing with me when the opportunity arose. They offered complimentary raw spiced nuts to much on while a) trying to decide on an entree and b) waiting for my meal.

I ordered a local beer, the Asheville Brewing Shiva IPA which was strong and very good. I ordered the Jerk (grilled seitan · smashed sweet potatoes · sautéed collards · spicy serrano crudo · fried banana & celtic salt) as my entree. It was a bit spicier than I typically like my food, but you could tell - not only from the presentation - that all elements of the dish were top class.

It was so filling that I broke my own rule and did not order dessert. Their homemade ice cream gets rave reviews, I know! I told them I would save more room next time and I wasn't kidding; I certainly plan to return the next time I'm in the delightful confines of Asheville, NC.

Pros: Top Quality Food, Prices are moderate and fair, Great staff/service
spookyjess
spookyjess

Delicious, elegant, comfy.

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2013

As another reviewer said, the food is delicious and pretty to look at. The hummus was to die for, definitely the best I've had in my travels. The shredded philly 'steak' was also perfection. God, I miss that sandwich! This place is worth going to Asheville for!

Pros: fresh, local ingredients , friendly, accommodating service, clean, cozy design
practicetnr
practicetnr

Can't go wrong here!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2013

The food is delicious and beautiful. The atmosphere is elegant and relaxing. The service is exceptional. This place has spoiled me. Now, other restaurants just can't compare. I was passing through Charlotte. Finding Plant was serendipity!

Pros: Cruelty-free food that is delicious!, Relaxing atmosphere., Comfortable even for a party of one.
Cons: Limited parking., That's the only con I can come up with!
Kangarupe
Kangarupe

Hands down one of the best

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2013

I have been Vegan for 5 years and I make it a goal to hit every vegan restaurant I can whenever I go someplace new, so I like to think that I have a large internal database of vegan/vegetarian restaurants.

You can bet money that at Plant you'll have one of the greatest Vegan meals you've ever had in your life. It is also a fantastic place to have a romantic dinner if you're lucky enough to have a vegan significant other such as myself!

Between my girlfriend and myself I have tasted the cheese plate, the wild forest, the mixed mushroom grill, the hazelnut crusted seitan, the pumpkin cheescake, the "my own" apple-cranberry pie and the cannolo. I honestly can't pinpoint my favorite entree because they were all absolutely fantastic.

Some may find Plant's prices high but their dishes are worth every penny. I do not hesitate spending $100 on my girlfriend and I when we go. Granted...we order 3 courses for each of us because we only go on special occasions.

Stop thinking about going and go! Like I said, it's one of the best and its my personal favorite Vegan restaurant in the world.

Pros: Designated parking lot
Cons: Small dining area
VegansArePeopleToo
VegansArePeopleToo

Best vegan meal I have ever had

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2013

They did bring us the wrong food, but it was a fortuitous mistake that ended with my wife and I have the best vegan meal we have ever had. This far eclipsed my experience at Candle 79 and anything in Atlanta that we have had to date. Our taste buds wished we lived closer, but our wallets - and waistlines, are not.

Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing
PixieMel
PixieMel

Oh, it's gooooood!

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

Plant has some of the best food I've ever had. You eat with your eyes first and all of the dishes deliver that aesthetically pleasing aspect. The next step: taste. Everything tastes so fresh and well-prepared. Every bite is an explosion of flavor! Some of the combinations sounded odd to me and ordering it was stepping a bit out of my comfort zone, but I'm so glad I did. I've been twice and each time I was pleased with the food. The servers are friendly and smiling. The restaurant is nice, clean, and open. I love the decor and the layout. It's bright and inviting.

Pros: Fresh, Flavorful, 100% vegan!
Cons: Expensive, Location (busy street)
jbail
jbail

Amazing food

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2013

We dined at plant while visiting in Asheville. We loved the food. My favorite was the chickpea crepe that we ordered off the Sunday brunch menu. Plant is definately a place we will return to next time we are in Asheville.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice atmoshphere, All vegan
Miss_C
Miss_C

Oh. Em. Gee.

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

The best. Plant is the only reason I need to drive 2 hours to Asheville. Every bite is amazing, and service is fantastic. It's great (and rare) to be able to order anything I want on a menu, including dessert. This isn't the most helpful review I suppose, completely lacking in any critical points, but really, it's THAT GREAT.

Pros: Everything!
no whey!
no whey!

A classy vegan experience

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2012

When I knew we'd be travelling through Asheville, aka "the Portland of the South", I knew I wanted to take advantage of the trip and find the best vegan place in town. After doing my homework via Happy Cow, going to Plant was the obvious answer.
I was not diappointed. The place was a little fancier than most (in a good way) and the food was very hearty with a professional presentation. My companion was not a vegan, but very much a food connoisseur and he was pleased too. The whole experience was exactly what I'd been craving- a vegan answer to the locally sourced, slightly upscale restaurant.

Pros: High-quality, Gourmet
kristenstar4
kristenstar4

YUM YUM

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2012

Plant is the best! The staff (cooks & owners) are friendly & welcoming. Their food is delish. Also, I feel like the cooks really take time and care with the food. I love that it is 100% vegan.
It has more of a gourmet feel to it so the portions will be smaller & more expensive than other places.
Plant deserves 6 cows because the food is SOOO good/tasty.

Pros: GREAT food, good atmosphere, vegan
Cons: small portions, pricey
SantaFeSue
SantaFeSue

Died and gone to heaven!

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

My vegan husband and I (vegetarian) returned to Asheville recently on vacation and heard about "plant". Couldn't wait to try it .. all vegan .. wooohooo! Didn't disappoint. Everything we ate was yummy and the desserts were to die for! Wish we could have stayed in town longer to try more options. Wish every city had such a wonderful vegan/veggie resource! Would give 10 stars if I could.

Pros: all vegan, great service, reasonable prices
Cons: noisy, but fun
schonthal
schonthal

• non-vegetarian

Vegan food as an art form; unparalleled service

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2012

The service is amongst the best I have ever encountered. Servers are knowledgeable and exceedingly kind and helpful.

The food is fabulous, again, amongst the best! I like vegan food in general, but there are only a handful of places I've encountered, where it is reinvented, dish-by-dish as an art form. Plant is one of those places. Whether you are vegan or not, this is something you should treat yourself to. And once you do, you'll want to return.

We had dinner there and came back the very next day for brunch!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: small dining room
BadassJB
BadassJB

Simply incredible

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2012

Now, I've been to hundreds of vegan restaurants in 13 different countries and this is one of the best if not the best I've been to. Plant has everything I could dream of in a restaurant, mushroom-based dishes, smokiness, portion size, flavour combinations, incredible desserts, vegan cannoli that is a spot on replica of the ones I grew up on. I've been looking for a vegan cannoli for ages. The last one I had was a Portobello in Portland, but it was a raw cannoli and that doesn't take the cake for me. I think that alone might put Plant in the top position over Portobello, which was my top choice.

If you like foodie fusion vegan food, this is the place to eat. I had the 'Wild Forest' which was a southern fried chicken-of-the-woods and chantrelles on a bed of smoked jalapeño mashed potatoes with braised heirloom baby carrots. Talk about a perfect dish!

The presentation was a 10 out of 10 too. The timing of orders was excellent and everyone's dish was hot and fresh. There was seven of us dining.

Desserts were phenomenal. The blackout pie was a perfect richness of chocolate and peanut butter. The cannoli as already stated was divine, and all the ice-cream flavours were delightful.

Great ambiance too. Five cows for sure.

I'd really be interested in trying their take on tiramisu and cheezecake (which is my benchmark for vegan restaurant quality).

Pros: Mushrooms, Desserts, Quality
Helen Phillips
Helen Phillips

Plant

2 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

Perhaps I visited Plant on an off night but the food was not tasty. I ordered a jerk seitan, and it had almost no flavor. My companion ordered a veggie burger and it had an unpleasant flavor. The only dish we enjoyed was the dessert. It was very expensive and I don't plan to return.

bmasi
bmasi

Awesome Vegan Restaurant - PLANT

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2012

Been a vegan/vegetarian for 40 years. This is one of the best vegan restaurants I have ever had the pleasure of dining in! Don't miss it if you are in Asheville

Pros: Excellent Food, Organic/Local, Friendly
peacetoall
peacetoall

Anniversary dinner

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

Last night we had dinner at "Plant". First of all...my husband is not vegan, but I am...so he was being supportive of me. We sat outside on the patio and it was a perfect summer night to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. Our waitress Ellie greeted us with 2 glasses of water and said "Hello Darlings"...well that sweet greeting began the evening beautifully. We were already smiling. She was sweet and informative. She made wonderful suggestions and insured our experience to be delightful. We had appetizers, a bottle of organic wine, entrees and dessert...we had it all!!! Every mouthful of this delectable deliciousness was a celebration. We had a party going on in our mouth as our taste buds were on fire! Even my husband loved the food and relished the dance going on in his mouth as the flavors were bouncing off one another. Ellie explained that Chef Jason has insured the food at "Plant' is exquisite on all levels. His ingredients are fresh, exuberant and unexpected. We also had a delightful conversation with owner Alan. We 100% recommend "Plant" for anyone who is looking for a restaurant that is going to provide them with wonderful customer service, comfortable surroundings and exquisite food that will take your breath away and is good for them. The prices are VERY fair. Thank you 'Plant' for being there for us. We will be back!!!

veggiegirl621
veggiegirl621

You MUST visit the restaurant!!

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

Plant is, hands down, the best restaurant I have visited in Asheville. The atmosphere is a unique blend of casual and upscale. You can go there for lunch in jeans or for a dinner date in something dressy and never feel out of place. Parents can bring their children (who will love the food as much as the adults do), but, thanks to the friendly and exceptionally attentive service team, this warm, inviting atmosphere is equally perfect for single diners, as well. Of course, all of these attributes take a backseat to the food, which is absolutely beyond description. Chef Jason and his kitchen take vegan cuisine to an unparalleled level. Every dish from the cheese plate to the raw enchiladas to the key lime parfait proves that one can eat responsibly and still enjoy meals that are fit for royalty. Asheville is so fortunate to have such an amazing concept run by such talented professionals! If you like incredible cuisine (whether or not you personally subscribe to a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle), Plant is a can't-miss dining experience.

Pros: Excellent Food, Attentive Service, Comfortable Atmosphere
Diana G.
Diana G.

Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

My husband and I had lunch today and shared the raw enchilada and smoked portobella sandwich. We couldn't decide on desert so he had the blackout pie and I had the live key lime parfait...the waitress called our desert order "the two sides of the Plant desert coin". Since we live 45 mins away, we kidded that we would shop after lunch until they opened for dinner and eat again!

Pros: excellent foo, friendly staff
KathleenS
KathleenS

Fantastic

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

Visited Asheville and decided to eat at Plant. I went crazy and got the "cheese" plate appetizer, the berger with truffle fries (Southern Living magazine recently voted their burger as one of the top ten in the state. It was the only plant based burger on the list.), and a cannolo for dessert. It was absolutely wonderful. I would go back to Asheville to eat there again and try some more wonderful food.

Pros: Great food, Friendly
Cons: Expensive for my college student budget
KatyJMon
KatyJMon

Plant-Best Veg Place to Eat in Asheville!

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2012

Plant is simply amazing! Everything about Plant is wonderful. The flavor combinations of the food are unique and everything I have had has been delicious. I highly recommend eating at Plant especially if you just have time to go to one veg restaurant in Asheville. I also love that Plant is 100% vegan. I don't have to substitute anything out on the menu or worry about any of the ingredients not being vegan. Also save room for dessert and coffee....it's part of what makes Plant so wonderful! They also have wine and beer and most of the ingredients they use are local. The only drawback is Plant is pretty expensive for my budget. It has to be a special occasion type of restaurant for us. Also, if you go on the weekend, consider making a reservation because it's usually very busy and it's a small restaurant.

Pros: Excellent food , Totally vegan , local, in season ingredients
Cons: Fairly expensive
vegan-nutritionista
vegan-nutritionista

Well Above Expectations!!

5 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

We were totally blown away by Plant. We knew Asheville was a little haven for vegan food, but when we visited, Plant was fairly new on the scene so we hadn't read much about it initially. I'm not sure that I expected more than a nice sandwich shop style vegan restaurant, which I would have been okay with.

Plant is much more though, it's a gourmet vegan restaurant that would make its mark even in a huge vegan city like NYC. It's a definite must-try. You can read my full review here: http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/plant-restaurant-asheville.html

Pros: amazing food, friendly servers, chefs, owners, good value
Cons: nada!
Diana_Z
Diana_Z

Best Restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

My three sons and I went to Plant while visiting Asheville, NC. It was the best food experience we've ever had. The food was beyond our expectations with the service to match. We had the carrot ginger soup, seitan skewers, the "cheese" plate, Jerk, Berger, and Risotto. For desert we had the incredible ice cream plate with three different flavors, the apple/strawberry pie, and the blackout pie. Amazing!! We couldn't stop talking about our experience. We would gladly go back to Asheville just to eat there again.

Pros: Incredible Food, Lovely Ambience, Friendly Staff
mizbun
mizbun

A special place!

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2012

Amazing food! Beautifully prepared!
The very best vegetarian restaurant I have ever eaten in. Plan on repeat visits. Very good vibes. Welcoming staff. The food is super healthy and unforgettably delicious.

Pros: Excellent and varied food, Lovely space, Friendly atmosphere
Cons: There are none!
aadams1217
aadams1217

• non-vegetarian

fresh and delicious

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2012

Partner and I went here for lunch. There was a very clean, crisp and refreshing atmosphere about the place. I had the "berger," which was the veggie burger made of a chickpea base with bits of seitan and other veggies in it. Absolutely delicious, but as most vegetarians/vegans know, veggie burgers crumble easily, and this one was no exception. But that didn't keep it from tasting great.

The open kitchen is great. I could see my fries being cut right in front of me and then served minutes later on a plate. So fresh.

Partner had the miso dish. Wasn't super impressed with it, said it was a little bland, but still enjoyed the lightness and freshness of it. If I were a native of Asheville, I would go back, but not too often, more so for special occasions.

Pros: freshness, clean, attentive staff
Penultimate
Penultimate

Amazing!!

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2012

I was so excited when I heard Asheville was getting an all vegan restaurant and Plant has always exceeded my expectations. I've had everything on the menu and have taken visiting friends and relatives here to rave reviews every time.

riceevans
riceevans

Local Love

5 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2012

Plant is the best restaurant in Asheville, bar none. Guaranteed to impress omni- carni- veg*n friends of all stripes. The cheeze plate, pumpkin seed seitan with shiitake bacon and all of the desserts are off the chain. Friendly, kind and helpful staff from the front to the back. As a local vegan diner and home cook, I am always looking for something to impress me. Plant does not miss any mark.

Pros: totally cruelty-free, amazing, great staff
Cons: higher budget, not open 24 hours, loud blenders
stonefree_happycow
stonefree_happycow

AH-mazing!

5 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2012

This is a great place to eat, one of the best dining experiences i have had in 6 years of going to asheville about every other month or so. The fact it is a cruelty free restaurant is just a bonus, the real pleasure is the food. Inventive and made with heart. They also do a great brunch, I had the biscuts and gravy with house sausage and it was phenom. I have had their burger and their herbed seitan. I can't wait to go back and explore more on the menu, like I said I haven't tasted one morsel from them on my or my wife's plate that wasn't amazing.

Pros: food, friendly
Cons: need to be closer to greensboro
pentagoth79
pentagoth79

Upscale Vegan

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

This place isn't your typical hippie vegan restaurant. It's not snooty but definitely more upscale. They're service and food are excellent. I got a caesar salad and seitan dish. There is a good variety on the menu though.
They are a new restaurant so I hope they stay in business as I will definitely go back!

Pros: tasty, clean, good service
gigigigi
gigigigi

I love Plant!

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2011

This restaurant is incredible! The staff is friendly and welcoming. The decor is simple and modern. Most importantly, the food is fresh, flavorful, and filling!

My omni husband enjoyed it as much as I did. We shared the seitan skewers, the "cheese" plate with fruit & olives, the jerk seitan with sweet potatoes & kale, and the mushroom risotto with arugula. Somehow we managed to save just enough room to share the Blackout Pie as well. Everything was DELICIOUS!

The kitchen is in full view of the dining area. Even after we finished our meal, we couldn't help but stare at the beautiful dishes being served to the other guests. I can't wait to eat there again so I can try the rest of the menu!

It's no surprise that Plant is so popular. Be sure to make reservations so you can enjoy it too!

joe gerard
joe gerard

Epicurean Delight

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2011

PLANT offers something for everyone-- this "restaurant with roots" is a soup to nuts dining experience that is second to none. The culinary artistry of Jason Sellers, formerly the head chef at Laughing Seed, is taken to new heights. The food here is creative, tasty and delivered in portion sizes appropriate for adults :) Dessert is not to be missed. Omnivores make up most of the customer base from what I can see but of course vegans and vegetarians flock in to enjoy fantoxicating food, organic wine and beer, friendly service and a peaceful atmosphere. An awesome and much needed addition to asheville's restaurant scene. Also, you might spot a celebrity there once in a while (most recently MOBY, who was in town for Moogfest). Bring your kid (the ice cream is off the hook!), your honey, your friends.. whoever. But make sure to call ahead for a rez!

Pros: entrees, atmosphere , dessert
Cons: none, none , and none
Frannie  M.
Frannie M.

Vegan Heaven!

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

Plant is an extraordinary addition to vegan dining options. Every single delicious item on the menu is vegan and therefore nothing is off limits!!! I have had several meals at the best vegan restaurants in New York City, including Candle 79, Blossom and Peace Foods, as well as Baby Cakes bakery, and Plant rivals anything I have eaten there. I and my friends and family drive from Johnson City, TN specifically to dine at Plant. I have had the smoked portabello, the seitan skewers, peppercorn seitan, the "cheese" plate, and have tasted almost every dish on the menu-- all divine!! Definitely save room for dessert-- items like chocolate silk pie with ice cream are top notch. The staff is very friendly and willing to explain menu items. The restaurant itself is small and gaining recognition as a great place to eat, no matter what your dietary choices, and that is an indication of the skill of the chef(s). Make sure you either go early, or make a reservation!!! Don't miss this incredible dining experience!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, compassionate choice
ngrindstaff
ngrindstaff

Plant is a vegan's dream come true!!

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

I just love eating places where I don't have to ask about ingredients to ensure what I want to order is vegan or even tell the server to be sure to give me the vegan option for a particular dish. At Plant, EVERYTHING is vegan, even beer and wine! We went for my birthday lunch not too long ago and I had the Portobello sandwich on ciabatta bread! It was the best porto sandwich I have ever had!!! The fries were great, and the ice cream for dessert was wonderful (made with coconut milk, I think). In addition to being completely vegan,everything also tasted really healthy - even the fries! I'll be going back to Plant for Sunday brunch in the next few weeks and I can't wait!

Pros: excellent vegan food, healthy , friendly staff
Cons: none!
lpass809
lpass809

A must if you visit Asheville!

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2011

I came here by myself and sat at the counter. I got to see everything as it was cooked! The head chef (owner?) even talked to me as I ate my dessert. And my dessert was the best dessert I've ever eaten (even before I was vegan)!! I can't wait until I'm in Asheville next because there's no way I'm not going to Plant when I'm in town.

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, creative menu items
mathman
mathman

Plant

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

The decor is both modern and relaxing. The food is a cut above the other veggie restaurants in Asheville, offering gourmet vegan at a good price. The owners, staff, and patrons are all friendly. For dessert, the Blackout Pie is a dream!

Ann Leitgeb
Ann Leitgeb

You MUST eat here!

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

If you come to Asheville, please do yourself a favor and eat at Plant. It is absolutely amazing!
You have to try the seitan skewer appetizer..and the chocolate peanut butter pie.
The chef and part owner, Jason, came from the Laughing Seed...so you can imagine how good the food here is!

Pros: Service, Atmosphere, Energy

Dear Owner and Manager of Plant: