Planeta Vegetariano

Buffet features salad bar, hot foods, some raw food, and a daily soup. Also has fresh juices. Room is decorated in bright colors and artworks. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Juice bar

• Cash only

First Review by nirvana2013
lindyeh
lindyeh

So good! Best vegetarian restaurant ever!

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

I love this place. Every time I've been there the food has been excellent. Very friendly staff. Cheap and delicious. Pretty vegan friendly too. Even my meat loving boyfriend likes it and wants to go back. So good!

Pros: Good value, Different choices daily, Affordable
Sanca
Sanca

LOVE it.

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2014

I ate there for about 5 times during our vacation in PV. Food was excellent, different menu every day, great drinks, friendly people. Even my teenage son who is not vegetarian, gave high marks and loved the food there.
The food is high quality, very fresh, and tasty. For non Spanish speakers, the signs are in English, clear and easy to read. Best food I had I during our vacation. I wish we stayed closer to downtown so we could eat there more often.
Great location, easy to find, only one block from the main church. Quiet and very pleasant ambiance.

Pros: Good value, Friendly staff, Lots of choices

Great choices for a Vegan

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2014

Planeta Vegetariano was a great experience. First off, I'm a real fan of buffets, and I always love "all you can eat". If you don't speak or read any Spanish this place can be a bit confusing at first, but it's a pretty basic set up with a great choice of some delicious food. The 90 peso price includes all you can eat choices from the Hot Food and Salad Bars, as well as beverage. The salad bar had jicama which sold me, love this stuff, so refreshing, plus a choice of another 15 or so veggies, seeds and nuts. Hot food bar was about 3/4 vegan, in fact - this place seems to make an effort to cook a lot of easy vegetarian dishes as vegan. A nice change from many veg places. My fave choices available were Soy/Gluten Steak, Potato stuffed Chili's, and Soy Enchilada. But, since this is all you can eat buffet style, you get a chance to try everything. Plus, they say the choices change daily, a fact I'll definitely put to the test next time I'm back in the area.
Highly recommended. In fact, if this place was closer to home, it would be on my standard go to list.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 15, 2014

Pros: Great Price and Amount, Good Vegan Choices, Nice Down Home Atmosphere

Gabe
Gabe

Great option in PV

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

Most of the buffet entrees are really tasty and get switched up on a regular basis. There is also an abundance of beverages and salad bar items that are included in your buffet. Many items are vegan and/or gluten free, and are mostly labeled in English. The staff are very nice though they don't speak much English, but if you know some Spanish, they'll be glad to talk to you. Definitely recommend.

Pros: buffet items labeled, some different items every day, central location, cheap
Cons: not much English spoken, some buffet items get repeated a lot
Roger in PA
Roger in PA

Still very good

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

I enjoyed Planeta Vegetariano four years ago and again last week (December 2012). It's an all-you-can-eat buffet with a broad selection of all-vegan items, from beverages to soups to main courses to salads, in a pleasant and cheerful dining room. Some of the food is ordinary but some selections are outstanding, interesting and unusual. A delicious vegan chocolate cake was a welcome surprise from the kitchen at the end of our meal. I'm skeptical about the previous reviewer's implication that it was Planeta's food that made her friends sick. Cruise ships bring in noroviruses nearly every week that cause gastrointestinal distress among Vallarta turistas. Planeta is clean and the staff is friendly and conscientious. To blame illness on a business without any evidence beyond the circumstantial borders on libel.

Pros: Good selection, All you can eat, Friendly staff
KristineShaw
KristineShaw

Sick...

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

I use to be a fan but three of my friends got sick this year at different times(2012).

absentminded
absentminded

Dissappointed

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

I recently visited Puerto Vallarta and had read up about this place. On my first night there I found my way there in hopes a good meal, but ended up returning to my hotel disappointed. The food was quite bland and lacked flavor, there was lasagna, rice, beans, lentil soup, soy chucks with bell peppers. In the salad section there were a few mixed options but the items did not look all that appealing.

Pros: Non-Smoker, Easy to Find
Cons: Cash
Nibbler13
Nibbler13

Huge selection

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

I have been going here for years, it is always great. Many choices for all tastes. My daughter has loved it from 5 to 12 years of age. My Argentinian meat loving friend enjoyed it as well! My favorite restaurant in the world.

Pros: Selection, Fresh, Great juices

Not impressed

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2011

The buffet had very limited choices and what was there was quite bland. No acknowledgement from the staff. The only words from them were the price when we walked up to the register. A little on the dirty side too. The wall art was interesting and it's in a decent part of town right next to the main church in town.
Updated from previous review on Sunday April 03, 2011
I have since been back to Planeta Vegetariano and I have to say that my second experience was much better than the first. I found the food and drinks available to be of goood quality. It is quite inexpensive too. I am upgrading it to a four star from my previous two.

Pros: Nice wall art., Quality of food
Bethany1202
Bethany1202

Planeta Vegetariano -- Great Food, Great Variety

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2011

My boyfriend and I had our anniversary vacation in Puerto Vallarta and we're both vegetarian. We actually loved this place. The food was delicious and anything but bland. There was a great deal of variety, including fresh fruits and vegetables, breads, soup, beverages, and sides and main dishes as well. I wish there were a restaurant like that around here. See full review: http://factoidz.com/vegetarian-buffet-comparisons-in-puerto-vallarta-mexico-mary-vegetariano-and-planeta-vegetariano/

Pros: Open late, Great variety, Fresh delicious food!
Cons: A little pricier than other veg.restaura
GPreis
GPreis

Wonderful Wonderful

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2010

If you are a vegetarian, this place is an absolute MUST (and even if you are not). Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Every meal had a soup (or oatmeal at breakfast), different mains and salads (fruit and veg) at the open buffet. Hot and cold drinks. Everything was delicious. The manager is very happy to explain what some of the unfamiliar dishes are. When you look like you are done, she comes by and offers the dessert of the day. No one is rushed. Even the restroom is clean. All this for a VERY reasonable cost. GO!

Pros: Daily variety, Delicious food, Location and value
Cons: They don't have one in NYC
bobbyarroyo
bobbyarroyo

The Friendliest Restaurant

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2010

This restaurant was amazing. The first time I walk in, I am greeted by a very friendly man and lets me know that "I would be happy there." He and other staff answered all of my questions. The majority of the food is vegan, if not, it will be labeled.

Over the many days that I went to the restaurant, I found many new vegan items to eat at the buffet: pancakes, shish kabobs, dumpling, fritters, faux meats, and many vegetables (I just can't remember all of them). It is indeed a small place, but there is plenty to choose from. They also have a fruit/salad bar.

Pros: Very friendly staff, Excellent food, Generous portions
Sheli
Sheli
  • non-vegetarian

Good Food - Relatively Easy to Find

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2010

Since ther're not big on addresses in Puerto Vallarta, it's good that this place is right next door to the main cathedral in town. The staff was welcoming and the food was good. My husband and my sister, the vegetarians in our group, were very relieved to find something other than guacamole, that they could eat. We couldn't find any tofu at the grocery stores in area.

Would go back again!

Pros: Close to landmark, Bright, Cheerful
Cons: Construction on Street
atrewhitt
atrewhitt

BORING

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2009

The restaurant was located downtown PV and easy to find. CASH ONLY. I found the food boring. Five choices for entrees. The night I was there it included tomato and zucchini, brown rice/fried rice, refried beans, lasagna, and tvp and peppers. There was a small cold salad bar. I'm not sure it was worth the visit when there are so many other restaurants with decent veg options in PV.

Pros: veg, non smoking, reasonable cost
Cons: boring, bland, random food picks
tinkietina
tinkietina

Sister-In-Law and I Enjoyed husbands to Fish Rest.

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2009

My sister-in-law and I, recently visited Planeta Restaurant in Puerto Vallarta, MX. It's near the old church and just up the hill street. Many selections on the buffet, all were good and tasty. The price was very reasonable, not near what our husbands went and spent eating lobster at Casuoe's (brother to Happy Lobster owner)-ask any taxi driver for price first then ride should be 50 pesos or less to arrive/return from romantic hotel zone to either restaurant.

Pros: Vegetarian Food, All food delicious, Didn't get sick
Cons: Up hill street to restaurant
daciastar
daciastar

Fantastic!

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2008

My husband and I ate here for lunch in June of 2008 and it was delicious--one of the best vegetarian meals ever. They serve a buffet lunch for less than $6 USD. It changes every day and everything is made with filtered water. Most items are vegan, but those that aren't are marked. The buffet had about 15 items to choose from and they were constantly replacing and freshening the buffet while we were there. Our buffet consisted of chile rellanos, roasted vegetables with tofu skins, rice and beans, a corn soup, soy protein ceviche, carrot and pea salad, baked tortillas with salsas, and a number of other salads. It was fantastic and I highly recommend it. It's located about a few blocks away from the cathedral. You should go!

Pros: excellent food, good value, healthy and clean
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

AMAZING!

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2007

We wound up in Puerto Vallarta by accident and this place made me glad we did! Delicious buffet style with plenty of vegan options. Their refried bean are the best I have ever had. So good we went out of our way to go back!

Pros: Great food!, Vegan options, Friendly staff
Qdebra7
Qdebra7

It's the best!

Posted on 03 / 20 / 2007

We ate here a few times when we were in town and each time the food was wonderful. Nice salad bar, and anything that's not vegan was marked clearly (with cheese or cream). Everything was fresh and tasty - and we loved the fresh juices too!

nirvana2013
nirvana2013

Excellent

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2006

This is the best vegetarian restaurant I have eaten at in all South America and Mexico (including Mexico City). There are many vegan choices and an extremely tasty salad bar.

Pros: All-you-can-eat, Hot and cold buffet, Extremely tasty

Dear Owner and Manager of Planeta Vegetariano: