Planet India

Vegetarian Indian restaurant run by a husband and wife team. Informal and relaxed atmosphere. Busy, so book ahead. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine

First Review by spud
paperbagblog
paperbagblog

Not for everyone

4 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

I've only visited Planet India once but it is a lovely place to eat. Very relaxed - the waiter had no shoes on - and the food is great value for money. Independent beers on the menu, and loads of vegan options. Worth a visit with friends but don't go for anything romantic!

Pros: Great value for money
Cons: Can be a little too relaxed at times!
Miggi
Miggi

Fantastic samosas, over-salted main dishes

2 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

We'd been looking forward to trying Planet India for ages. The staff were welcoming, very laid-back but friendly and helpful.
We really loved the homemade samosas which had a good tasty filling and really crunchy pastry shell.
The menu shows clearly which dishes are vegan and it was nice to see some dishes that you don't generally find at any curry house - dahl with spinach was nice and we'd never eaten black chick peas before. Unfortunately we just found all the main dishes far too salty for our taste. I think it will be a while before we try it again.

Pros: samosas, clear vegan options, friendly, welcoming
Cons: very very salty, need more variety for vegans
Loulou
Loulou

EXCELLENT FOOD!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

TOTAL AMAZING!, THE BEST INDIAN I'VE HAD IN A LONG TIME.
Once you get past the pink sign, unusual decor and mish-mash of furniture this place serves the best Indian vegetarian food-ever.

The waiter was really friendly (and barefoot!) and the menu was clear with what's suitable for vegans. They also offer half portions of all the main dishes which is a great chance to try more! We had half portions of spicy black chickpeas, sweetcorn and patra, mombai potato curry and masoor dahl with cumin rice. The mombai potato curry and masoor dahl where the BEST EVER - so creamy (and Vegan!) will definitely go back there as soon as I can!

Pros: Excellent food, half portions, mombai potato curry and masoor dahl
jpu
jpu

Planet India is great

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2010

I have eaten a lot of curries all over (even in India) and this is one of the best places I have been. They are proper Indian dishes and taste great. They do microwave their food as they make it fresh during the day and then reheat it so that they can deal with the large numbers of people who come here (it's only a small place). This doesn't affect the taste of the curry as the misguided first reviewer said. It is also very cheap here. They also do takeaway if you ask.

I live in Brighton and me and all of my friends love this place. I sound like a PR man for this place but I am not, just a big fan.

Pros: tasty, cheap, friendly
Cons: get there early, it's v popular
  • eat right eat right

Anyone who doesn't think mirowaves dont effect taste or flavour, has no taste buds, they give food a false heat that impairs the flavour. I have eaten in some of the best Indian Vegetarian Restaurants, and trust me this is not one of them. Try Santok Maas Thorton Heath.

• eat right eat right

It appears so, but your the ones eating here, not me,least lets agree on one thing, give thanks its Vegetarian...

• jpu jpu

well I guess me and the many many others who go back to keep this place really busy have no taste buds then.

just
just

currytastic!

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2009

Planet India is one of my favourite places to eat out. There are lots of vegan options which are clearly marked on their menu and every one i've tried i've enjoyed. I've been there with vegans, vegetarians and also meateaters and the place seems to satisfy everyone. The couple who run it are friendly and it's a really laidback, colourfully decorated environment which i find appealing. They serve a very good sized portion (i love that you can choose to have two half curries adding more variety to your meal) at a very good price, i've always left there with a very satisfied stomach! Writing about it now is giving me planet india curry cravings!

Pros: tasty food, great price, friendly
spud
spud

AWESOME

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2009

the best curry in town, i love the food, people, place. this place is a must for anyone into curry.

Pros: great food, great staff, did i mention great food ?

Dear Owner and Manager of Planet India: