CLOSED: Pizzazz Tuscan Grille

Serves meat, veg options available. Has a few veg, gluten free, and raw food items. Uses agave as sweetener, pink sea salt, and no white flour or refined sugar. Salads, pasta, pizza, calzones, smoothies. DEC 2012 REPORTED SHUT DOWN. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Italian, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Natalie R.
Jscrafford
Jscrafford

Terrible service, terrible food

1 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

Vegan food gets a bad rap for tasting like dirt. This place is why. If you look up bad customer service in the dictionary you will see a photo of Deanna. She is the owner and really full of her self. It's one thing to make people wait hours for food, if it's impeccable. I know slow food takes tome, but this place is over the top. Under no circumstances go to this place. Trust me. There is nothing good to say about it.
I teach a course on food productioon and nutrition. I thought it would great to expose my students to vegan food and support a small business owner. Our whole night was ruined. We never got served food and eventually gave up and had to leave. No one even apologized and the place was not busy at all.

Pros: Water view
Cons: Worst service in Baltimore, Terrible food, Overpriced
kaq
kaq

Awful experience

1 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2011

My wife and another couple decided to go to brunch here one Sunday morning in January 2011. We called the night before to make sure there would be vegan options. They confirmed, no problem, plenty of vegan options for everyone.

We got there at 10 AM to find the place empty. We sit down and it took 10 minutes before we even saw a menu. Another couple sat down near us and were served before we even saw a menu. While speaking with the other couple, we overheard that their vegan options were sold out except for the pizza. While the other couple thought about what to do, the waitress came over to us and gave us our menus. She explained the same to us, that only vegan pizzas were available. The explanation was that they had a huge crowd that morning that ate up all the vegan options. I find this a little hard to believe considering how empty it was at 10 AM on a 20 degree Sunday morning.

The waitress explained that although there were no more vegan options that the chef was "willing to work with us". When we asked what that meant, she rambled on something about muffins and toast. Yum!

Needless to say, we stood up and left, as did the other couple. We went to One World Cafe, where oddly enough, we bumped into the other couple that left as well.

I've read a lot of negative reviews about this place and am not sure how this place stays open, especially considering what the rent must be on prime Inner Harbor real estate. My guess is that this place is gone by end of 2011.

My warning is that just because you call and they confirm that they will have vegan options, doesn't necessarily make it true. Beware!

Pros: Great napkins
Cons: No vegan options, Smelled like cleaning supplies
rmark25
rmark25

vegan breakfast

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

When I was in Baltimore I went here for breakfast and had the scrambled tofu with sausage. I was very happy with my choice and surprised by this very traditional, yet vegan, item on their menu.I felt I was not missing out on a hearty breakfast choice.
They even had soy milk for my coffee!

Pros: vegan breakfast, soy milk, atmosphere

rileysoprano
rileysoprano

What a disappointment

1 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2010

We went here on Easter Sunday for a nice brunch. Despite having very few tables our appetizers (hummus and an omni app for my husband) took forever. When they finally came they were terrible. The hummus was as chunky as Peanut Butter and was served with greasy pita bread and the most dried out carrots I have ever seen.

My husband felt his food (not vegetarian thus not worth describing...) was inedible, so we canceled the rest of our order and requested our check.

At this point the owner came over to see what was wrong. We explained that we didn't like the food and wanted to pay for what we had eaten and leave. She basically scolded us, telling us that we should like the food because:

a) the homemade hummus was her recipe
b) her son was the chef
c) she had the best Vegan food in Baltimore
d) that all of her food was really healthy, they employed a nutritionist
e) the menu reflected how she ate at home

However she was insisted on comping our meal. She refused to give us our check, saying she "hoped we would come back".

On our way out we stopped by the counter to tip our server just in time to hear her mocking us to the other employees...

I would never eat here again after my experience. It is forgivable to make a mistake or two. It is not (in my opinion) forgivable to insult a customer to their face and then mock them in the front of the house before they even leave the establishment.

Cons: bad food, poor service (from owner), expensive for what you actually get
myboss57
myboss57

Great Vegan Italian

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2010

Went to Pizzazz for dinner with friends this past Saturday night. Got seated right away, and had drinks and bread within a few minutes.
They have a separate all vegan menu that contains appetizers (didn't try any of those, although I'll be back soon to sample some), soups and salads, entrees, and desserts and drinks.
I had a pizza made with Daiya cheese and grilled Gardein "chicken" that was delicious! The crust is very thin, with the right balance of crispiness and chewiness. It was a little "healthy looking" in that it wasn't the typical white pizza crust that I was expecting. But the flavor was great!
A friend of mine ordered the chicken parmesean (Gardein cutlets and Daiya cheese) with spaghetti. I tried a bite and was very impressed with the dish.
They also have a vegan pesto that I will be going back to sample very soon.
Overall, I am happy there is a place like this close to me in the city!
I highly recommend this restaurant to satisfy those Italian food cravings!

Pros: vegan menu, full bar, good food!
Cons: food took a while to come out
Natalie R.
Natalie R.

Really disappointed

1 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2010

I went here with my family and a friend of mine for my birthday, and the service was horrible. The place wasn't busy at all (we went around 2:30 on a Saturday in February), yet the waiters were sluggish and our food didn't arrive within at least a half hour. The food wasn't anything to boast about, however the lasagna wasn't bad. We had to ask several times for refills and we didn't receive bread, but the real turn-off of this place was the desert which was moldly. Not the best experience, to say the least!

Pros: Great atmosphere, Great Location, Parking Discount
Cons: Poor service, Mold, Small portions

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Pizzazz Tuscan Grille: