Serves meat, veg options available. Offers vegan rinotta cheese and soy cheese pizza topping in addition to other vegetarian friendly toppings such as mock duck. Has vegan hogies and vegan dessert. Also located in downtown Minneapolis at 119 N 4th St, 55401 and at 2200 E Franklin Ave 55404. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Pizzeria, American, Non-veg

First Review by condekedar

Co-exist merrily with your carnivore friends.

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2013

Herbivores and omnivores can co-exist merrily here. I can only vouch for the vegan options, which were delicious, but everyone else in the restaurant with "regular food" seemed satisfied as well. There were decent beers on tap and the bartender was very knowledgeable about which beers were not vegan, which is uncommon. I got dinner there and ordered a small pizza to go because I couldn't bear the thought of not eating it again tomorrow.

Pros: vegan pizza, knowledgable staff, decent beer selection
Cons: none come to mind.

The Rinotta is the Winner

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2011

Between this and Galactic, the other vegan-friendly pizza place in the Cities, I usually choose Luce. It's a bit pricier, but the Rinotta is so worth it. I like having two different options! Luce has a creative menu, and many of their signature pizzas can be made vegan with fake meats and cheese.

I've been to the Selby and Uptown Luces, both of them are nice but tend to get extremely busy on weekend nights. Make reservations!

Pros: Rinotta, Creative menu
Cons: Serves meat, Expensive

"Holy Vegan Pizza Goodness" Seconded

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2011

Yummity yum yum. The staff was very helpful and friendly about the menu and they were happy to accommodate the custom pizza of my dreams.

Pros: lots of seating, helpful staff, customizable menu
Cons: parking tricky if city busy

good, but I don't understand the commotion?

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

I moved to Minneapolis this past summer and had already heard stories of how awesome this place was before I could cross the MN border. It was my first vegan pizza experience in MN (not the only) and truthfully has always been "fine" I like the renotta over the soy cheese and I think their sandwiches are possibly better than the famed pizza. I just don't think it is "amazing" or even "great" my experience is most likely to be "good". I like the music, the staff is always friendly and accommodating- nice selection of vegan options. The nagging thing that I usually don't think about when eating pizza parlor pizza, is that I could do a better job at home. Sorry Luce, I keep trying to discover what others find so outstanding but it eludes me.

Pros: friendly staff, good selection of vegan options, clean
Cons: mediocre pizza, hipster hangout , often busy

Welcome to Minnesota

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2010

I almost puked on the plane. After landing, all I really wanted was a bed to lay in (it was a couch, I snore, she hates it, but I think she likes me so its cool). The other parties involved lived or had lived there and decided to go to this beautiful oasis. Upon arriving, NOFX blared loudly on the speakers above, while I searched vegan options that were available. Spaghetti with fake meatballs( it was awesome, my girlfriend ate it), a tofu caesar, veggie pizza, my stomach felt better all of the sudden. I settled on the Mock Duck sandwich and a local IPA (Minnesota beer trumps all to my knowledge). After 2 beers, a ridiculously good meal, and old Metallica and the Mad Caddies wishing me good luck, I left Pizza Luce with a happy belly and a thirst for whatever else Minneapolis had to offer.

Pros: music, food, beer

A Must Visit

3 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2010

Every time I've gone to Pizza Luce it has been solid. The atmosphere is pleasant and the service is prompt. This is the best place to find vegan pizza in Minneapolis. However, be prepared to fork over quite a bit of cash when you visit.

Pros: Best Vegan Pizza in MN, Atmosphere
Cons: Price

Great veggie and vegan options - Yum!

3 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2009

Pizza luce is the best pizza and italian fusion, moderate priced restaurant I've experienced. The Uptown-ex-Wedge version seems the most natural location, but the downtown version is great too. To work there, it seems body art may be required. Good, friendly service is all I've experienced. Highly recommended for us veg*ns.

Pros: quality, taste, vegan options for most
Cons: not open 24 hours

*OMG* Holy Vegan Pizza Goodness!!!

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2009

OMG! I can't believe this place! And thank goodness for a friend who suggested this place and even for suggesting we ordered off of the menu. Get the The Lil' Gracie or Pizza Athena with the *Rinotta* Vegan cheese (there's two choices so be sure to get the aforementioned Vegan cheese) and you will not be displeased, in fact, you will fall in love with this place!!! If only something like this was in Chicago! ;)
[I give this place 5 cows not 4 - it's my second favorite place in Minneapolis]

To Die For.

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2008

I moved out of Minneapolis 7 years ago. I still crave Pizza Luce with every fiber of my being. The BBQ mock duck + "rinotta" cheese... I am salivating right now and I'm not even hungry. I'm close to buying a $400 plane ticket and flying out there just because I'm thinking about how delicious it is. I can't give it 5 out of 5 cows because it's not 100% veg, but I would give it 1,000,000 cows out of 5 if I could. Pizza Luce cannot be topped.

Pros: excellent food, cool atmosphere, cool staff

Yum! A pleasant vacation surprise

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2008

I was in Minneapolis with some friends for a conference and one night we decided to order in. A couple of my friends had already had Pizza Luce and raved about it, so we decided to order from them. As a vegan, I was prepared to go cheeseless veggie, as I have in the past. It didn't occur to me to check the Happy Cow list of veg-friendly restaurants I'd printed out for my trip (vegan-friendly pizza joints are few and far between, in my experience).

My friend was on the phone ordering for us, and apparently the person taking the order thought it weird that we were ordering cheeseless, so he offers not one, but two types of vegan cheese! Yippee! It was such a pleasant surprise -- the pizza was to die for. The delivery was prompt and the price was fair. Definitely recommended.

Pros: vegan-friendly, delicious, prompt delivery
Cons: they're not in the DC area

Worst Service Ever

1 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2008

We were dismayed by the service we recently received at the location in Downtown Minneapolis on 4th street. On February 1st, 2008, we visited while out for the evening. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a hostess who asked if we wanted table service or if we wanted just slices. We asked if we could sit on the table service side as we were debating having some lasagna and definitely wanted a bottle of wine. The security staff person told us we COULD eat on the table service side, but she told him that since we weren't sure if we wanted menus or slices, we had to sit on the self-service side.

The tables on this side were covered in pizza sauce and sticky from spilled soda. I am wearing an expensive Bebe designer dress and my fiance is wearing a custom fitted Italian suit. I did not want to sit at a dirty table and it has not been my experience at Pizza Luce that customers are required to clean the tables before seating themselves so as not to get pizza sauce on their clothing. I asked to speak to the manager, Mike Brundage, who did move us to the table service side, but told us there was no more table service for the evening. If we wanted a bottle of wine or something from the menu, we would have to order it from the bar ourselves. This was 12:30 in the evening, well before the 3:30 am closing time and during times we have had table service previously. As soon as we were seated, another table was seated next to us and presented with menus AND table service by Emily.

At this time, we asked to speak to the manager again and explained that the table next to us were getting table service and we wanted table service as well - as we had said when we first walked in the door. At this point, Mike (the manager) told us that the server was supposed to be leaving, but since the security team had inadvertently seated a table, she was having to wait on them and that if it would keep us from "barking at him for 10 minutes" he would gladly wait on us himself. We wern't barking and he had only just arrived at the table when snapped this at us. We were asking politely why we couldn't have a waitress when, clearly, the table seated next to us had a waitress.He became rude and belligerent. I finally just asked for the money for our dinner returned, as we had to order from the slice side since table service had been denied to us and the pizza had been under a heating lamp too long to be edible. He threw two $5 bills on the table and invited us to not return.

Pros: Vegetarian Options, Full Bar
Cons: Rude Management, Food on the Slice side in heating lamps, Nasty tables

Tasty, fun place

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2007

I loved this place. Their Lil Gracie pizza with soy cheese and veggies and fake sausage and pepperoni was tasty and light; their garlic-cheese toast with rinotta vegan cheese was also delicious and unusual. This is a great option to have for vegans who miss pizza and are also looking to have a beer with some good music in the background.

Pros: Vegan options, Atmosphere, Beer
Cons: Not 100% vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of Pizza Luce: