Serves meat, veg options available. Pizzeria and bar. Several vegan choices including a house-made veggie meatball parmesan sub; pizza toppings like marinated tempeh; a vegan pizza with spinach, caramelized onions & roasted pepper-cashew sauce. Garlic knots contain cheese, so vegans need to specify no cheese, and kitchen will make some for you. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Pizza, Italian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

All Good
All Good

Salad Wins?

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

First of all I should say that the service was excellent. They waiters and servers were genuinely friendly and knowledgeable as to what was and wasn’t vegan, and what could be made vegan as well. I can’t stand it when you’re at a restaurant and the waiter just pretends to know the answers to your questions about ingredients, but really has no clue and doesn’t bother to find out. That didn’t happen here though, they were very helpful and I appreciated that.

I went with my family and we ordered the garlic knots which could be made vegan. They were pretty tasty chunks of baked dough with some marinara sauce for dipping. The sauce was a bit too sweet for my taste because I like it salty and not sweet. We also ordered the butternut squash dip which came with house bread. It was okay but for 3 bucks I don’t have any complaints. The arugula pear salad was great; it had delicious coated nuts that were both salty/sweet with an unexpected spicy kick that really brought the whole thing together. Ordinarily I don’t go the salad route but this was the best thing we ordered and it is a definite recommend.

We ordered a large pizza, and I have to be honest, the cashew red pepper cheese substitute was a little underwhelming. In fact I couldn’t really taste it. It was much more flavorful in the Fino roll, which is sot of like a calzone. I would actually suggest the Fino roll over the pizza. We didn’t get a dessert but I heard they have an iced gelato vegan option and that sounded like that was all. The ambiance was nice although the music was just a bit too loud. Rancid came on the stereo once and I did enjoy that. All in all I’d say Kenton doesn’t have a ton of vegan restaurants, so if you’re in the area this might be one of your best bets.

Pros: Knowledgable staff, Acceptable amount of vegan options
Cons: Unimpresive "cheese" subsitute

Dear Owner and Manager of Pizza Fino: