Falafel and other hot and cold pita sandwiches. A small outdoor terrace seating area. Entrance is up some steps on the outside of the ATT building. Address in Japanese: 東京都港区赤坂2-11-7. Confirmed open Nov 2011. NOTE: Closed on weekends and keeps irregular hours, please confirm hours by phone. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Fast food, Take-out
Akasaka 2-11-7, ATT Bldg 2nd Floor (Tameike Sanno station)
Tokyo, Japan
03-55630851

Open 11.30-18.00, closed Sat-Sun.

First Review by Tiare
paulkates
paulkates

Pita the not so Great

2 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

My office used to be close to this establishment and I would visit frequently. Was in the area recently and decided to drop in for a quick lunch around 11:45am but not only did the owner not recognize me, he seemed perturbed that I/anyone even showed up (supposed to be open at 11:30am), grunting that he wasn't going to open until noon. While I was contemplating waiting for him to "open" (stupid me) he abruptly left the premises so I decided to leave and never come back. Seems like this guy has turned into a grumpy old man which is a shame because he used to have a pretty good falafel (at least, for Tokyo).

curiosity3
curiosity3

The good, the bad, and the ugly

3 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2014

As others have said, the food here is great. All vegan sandwiches that really rock. I love the crispy fried cauliflower and falafel varieties, with the tahini and harrissa sauces. Great idea to throw in the sauerkraut.

That was the good.

Healthy it ain't, given that most veggies are deep fried, that bread is involved and that the tahini sauce isn't exactly low calorie or low fat.

That was the bad.

The owner and usually sole worker at the cafe is a legend for his customer abuse and the long waiting times due to his serial processing approach. At lunch time having to queue for 15-20 minutes and then to have to wait the same amount of time again until food is in your hands is not unusual. One time, he asked me to take a seat outside at one of teh tables, he'd bring the food soon. 20 minutes later, someone asked me if that sandwich there was mine. It had been dropped on the stairs outside the shop, nearly ten meters from where I sat. I never noticed. Also, if you so much as look at him funny, get ready for an ass-kicking. The guy is always looking for a fight. I have seen him yell at people "Don't ever come back here!!" for simply giving up and leaving the queue because they couldn't possibly wait that long.

That was the ugly.

My suggestion is that once you have managed to try one of his sandwiches, henceforth DIY. His bread, falafel and sauces can be bought both at his store and at the Nisshin supermarket in Azabu Juuban. Assembling them then is easy.

Pros: Good food.
Cons: Not exactly low cal, low fat, Longest waiting times in Tokyo, Customer abuse
TokyoGuy
TokyoGuy

Filling, Tasty, Vegan

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2011

In the Akasaka / Tameike-Sanno area there are limited choices when it comes to having a vegan lunch. The pita sandwiches made at Pita the Great are tasty, filling and satisfying. The shop's interior is all white, breezy, minimalist and cool. The owner is a freindly guy who seems to take his business seriously, making sure that his customers are happy and fulfilled. What's not to like? My co-worker (who is a Japanese female) says that she finds the sandwhich big enough to keep a portion for later as a snack; for me (I am a North American vegan guy), the portion is just fine and really hits the spot as a tasty vegan lunch.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 07, 2011

Pros: Tasty, Satisfying portions, classic rock playing in store
Cons: Parts of sandwich are deep-fried

rhyscatlin
rhyscatlin

Awesome tastic

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2011

Really neat place. It's pretty easy to find from the directions, just take exit 12 at the Tameike Sanno station and go up and out of the ATT building.
The pitas are really tasty and really big. I really liked the eggplant pita and the big (falafel) pita. And if you order the side of falafels they're really tasty too.
The guy who runs it is really friendly and speaks English well (but Japanese as well). And it's really nice when it's rainy, it's all warm and cosy.
One interesting point though. All three times I went there in the 2 weeks I was in Japan, he'd have on disc two of Led Zeppelin remasters. Either he REALLY REALLY likes Led Zeppelin or his CD player is broken and he can't get the CD out. Anyone else notice this? Either way, it didn't bother me. Achilles Last Stand is a good song to eat falafels to.

Pros: Really tasty, Good Value
Cons: The Led Zeppelin thing could be a con
courtneyjayneee
courtneyjayneee

Weird.

2 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2010

I decided to go for a walk and find this place one day, because I was staying in Akasaka and read here that it was good. Wellll, after finding it eventually, I look inside the doors, and was really unsure whether I was in the right place or not.. This shop looked like it was under renovation or something crazy, dust and crap everywhere. It was about 4:30 in the afternoon, so I figured they'd still be open even though I saw noone around. I opened the door, called out for someone.. Noone. Waited for about five minutes and finally some old guy comes out saying they're closed. Well, good job buddy, leaving the door open, and money on the bench. Gave up, went home disappointed. Shame 'cause the stuff on the menu sounded pretty good !

• TokyoGuy TokyoGuy

Hey, give the "old guy" a break, he runs the place himself and he trusts people enough to leave the door open. The food is good, and he is open for lunch (4:30 is lunch for you?) Before giving a low rating, perhaps you should try the food?

selena
selena

Tasty

4 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2009

This is a good place to grab a sandwich if you're in the area. They seem to have pretty early hours though and cater to the local businessfolk.

Pros: tasty, generous portions, fresh-baked
Jessqi
Jessqi

Great Pita

4 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2009

All vegan. A great range of pita options. Broccoli pita!! The pitas were good and the owner was really nice. It was a great filling lunch. I have a photo of my (omni) friend eating one of these in apparent ecstasy. :-)

Pros: 100% Vegan, Nice owner, Filling
Cons: Outdoor seating only
Tiare
Tiare

What a great!

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2007

The shop is vegan fast food restaurant. It's safety and shop staff is very friendly. After the order, he makes pita. Then, he used to use the fish in menu eight years ago. now, he don't use the fish and dairy products. He can speak both English and Japanese.
shop staff recommends that big pita and classic pita in menu. I ordered a classic pita and vage croquette. But he told me, vage croquette is included in classic pita. Oh my! I changed the order, so I tried classic pita(760yen) and traditional pita(630yen)
(to go). traditional pita is only five loaf bread. Let's try pita even in your house. I'm surprised! A pita was my palmar size. too big! Maybe, you'll be full up for only once! The shop in ATT Building right above the subway 12th exit. turn right at the 12th exit. go straight and half round ATT building. (The shop is in the back in the ATT building)
So, the 12th exit is beside the entrance in ATT building.
Have fun!

Cons: Not smoking

Dear Owner and Manager of Pita the Great: