Pita Bonita

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers open air seating, serving Middle Eastern food including in-house-made pita bread, hummus, falafel, and Yemen hot sauce. In Punta Uva, on the Main road from Puerto Viejo to Manzanillo. 100 Meters South of Treehouse Lodge and 200 Meters North of Selvins Restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by cantorveg
kjvicki
kjvicki

WONDERFUL!

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2012

Fabulous falafels, salad, and soft, fresh pita! These folks have it going on! Nice, quiet location. Pretty set up. Excellent owners. Best food in P.V.! We ate here 2x because we could not get enough of their excellent, crispy falafels, the best I ever had!The cucumber, tomato, onion, parsley salad was heavenly! To top it off, we enjoyed chatting with the owners, and watching the full moon light up the night sky. Very romantic! EAT HERE!!!!

Pros: Food, Owners, Privacy
oclisa
oclisa

Awesome Falafel

4 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2012

The biggest surprise of my trip to Costa Rica so far was coming upon Pita Bonita. (the howler monkeys across the street from Pita Bonita were the second biggest surprise.) We were on a casual bike ride to nowhere and came upon Pita Bonita. I wasn't particularly hungry but I had to stop and get a falafel fix (much needed after the endless rice and beans). I wasn't expecting a great falafel but boy, did I get one! This was a surprise considering that I was literally in the middle of the jungle in a remote area of Costa Rica. Homemade fresh-baked pita bread, fresh ingredients and a very good falafel recipe made this one of the best falafels I have ever eaten, in fact, I would rate it in my top 5 (and I have eaten falafels all over the world). The falafel (in pita) was huge and a good value for the money. There are many other veg options at this restaurant and although I only ate the falafel, if that is any indication, it's all good! Too bad I can only give it 4 cows (since they are not strictly vegitarian). I would give it 5 cows if allowed.

Pros: homemade pita, great falafel
cantorveg
cantorveg

Go there now!

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

If I could eat at Pita Bonita every night I would be very happy. These folks know how to do middle eastern food very well! The pitas are made fresh daily and are definitely deserving of their prominence in the name of the restaurant. Soft, doughy and delicious, these are more than just vessels for delivering hummus to your mouth; they are a standout feature in themselves. Although, the hummus too is good enough to eat by the pound with your fingers.

I ordered the shakshuka, a North African egg and tomato dish with pita, which elicited envy from all of my dining companions. The wells-spiced salsa-y tomatoes provided a perfect base to envelope the creamy eggs that sat atop. I ate the dish so fast that I was tempted to order a second one despite that I was already pleasantly full.

Pros: Delicious food, Good value
Cons: slightly pricey (but worth it), location is a little bit out of the way

Dear Owner and Manager of Pita Bonita: