Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegan options like the pita mediterraneo that consists of falafel, tahini sauce, lettuce, onions, and cilantro. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Fast food, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg
333 Merced
Santiago, Chile
0-2-639-8275

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by islandveg
coverseas
coverseas

A dream realized:

Posted on 11 / 21 / 2014

the dream of falafel utterly devoid of taste. Who would have thought it possible? But this place managed it!

I really mean it -- virtually *without taste*. Like nursing home falafel, should such a thing exist.

Anytime a place serves your falafel with accompanying salt packets, that's a bad sign. When they take the main ingredient, falafel, preformed out of a cold bin to insert directly into your wrap, that's a bad sign, too!

I had the falafel mediterrĂ¡neo and it was at least tied for worst falafel I've ever had. And I've had very many, in many places around the world. I can forgive (even if I really don't like) the cold/ reheated falafel patty approach if the place is one of desperation -- a corner stand, or a place that clearly specializes in something far from falafel. But while I am always a bit mystified that a falafel seems so hard for restaurants to make well (being fairly simple in concept), I find it absolutely bizarre that a place specializing in 'pitas' would serve such a thing. (Naturally, one possibility is that they really focus on the meats, which is probably true... but still.)

The price -- $3400 as of writing -- for the basic falafel is ok, because it is the size of about two normal falafels. But I only wanted a normal-size, which they appear not to serve -- and in that case, one is forced to get a size that is fairly pricey for what one wanted.

I wouldn't characterize the place as super 'warm' in demeanor, either, but that's not a big concern of mine, and it's not like they were hostile.

I do feel quite mean here -- but I cannot imagine recommending this place to any vegetarian; on the other hand, Santiago is still, shall we say, developing in its vegetarianism -- hence, the fact that it serves anything vegetarian might be reason to keep it in mind (and for that reason, context, I give it two cows rather than one). Based on the previous review, some possibilities are that (a) the place has changed dramatically, or (b) I happened to catch it at some *extremely* inopportune time.

Pros: Location
Cons: Blandness, Old-n-cold falafel patties, Price
islandveg
islandveg

Great food

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2012

The pita mediterraneo was great with falafel. Very tasty, seasoned and filling and the price was good.

Dear Owner and Manager of Pita and Co: