Pine Garden

Serves meat, veg options available. Ask for the vegetarian menu which features traditional Chinese veggie dishes as well as a variety of mockmeats; try the vegetarian dumplings and wonton soup. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Non-veg
1668 N Federal Hwy (north of Glades on east side of street)
Boca Raton, Florida 33432
561-395-7534

First Review by kindlizard
tawna
tawna

Yikes this bad...

1 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2013

Soooo I hate to be the "bad reviewer" but we had I would say one of the worst restaurant experiences we have ever had. We we given the vegetarian menu and order the "chicken lettuce wraps" it was really chicken.... Even though we repeatedly asked to make sure. They denied it was really chicken until finally the manager came out and said indeed it was real chicken. Then asked if we would still like to eat it.......uuuuuuuhhhh no....obviously.... They brought out our entrees and I am sorry to say but they were not even edible.... Maybe it was just a REALLY bad day for them. We asked for the check and didn't eat our food and declined doggy bags. They new it was our first time there yet didn't really care what so ever that our food was literally horrible and my husband was a bit sick.... He is vegan for health reasons.... I was just quite annoyed that they didn't even ask to take the "chicken" dish off.... It was actually shocking because I am pretty easy to please hahaha there is NO way I would ever go anywhere close to that place again.... I wish I had an experience like everyone else!!! But the thought of returning actually my stomach queazy... I really would like to give it a sad zero

Cons: Horrible food, Not at all hospitable or accommodating, Deceptive.... At least when I went
jbglidd
jbglidd

Awesome Chinese, Huge Veg Menu

4 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

If you like Chinese food, this place is a gem. Ask for the all vegetarian menu, they have every dish with a meat substitute including their soups. My favorite is the sesame medallions, but everything on the menu is good.

Pros: Huge Selection, Attentive Wait Staff, Price
Cons: Decor Is Lacking, Serves Meat
JohnS242
JohnS242

Love this place

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2012

I love this place. Been going here for years. The completely separate vegetarian menu has lost of options. The food is good too.

veganyogi
veganyogi

awesome!

4 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

we had our favorite vegan chinese restaurant in new york and now we have pine garden. each dish we had was almost identical to our new york favorites. we have vowed to eat our way thru the entire menu!
the staff was very friendly and understood being vegan-which seems to be very rare in south florida. what a happy experience.
this is a 45 minute drive for us and well worth the trip.
cant wait to go back :-)

Pros: excellent food, friendly stafd, good value
ninafarr
ninafarr

tons of vegan options

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

i am vegan and can try something new every time i go there. good food, casual, and good value.

Pros: good value, lots of options, good food
warino
warino

Yummy vegan surprise!!

4 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

My husband and I were thoroughly blown away by the food at Pine Garden. The vegetarian menu is, in fact, fully vegan, so we went hog wild and ordered two apps and three mains. The cold sesame noodles were authentic and delicious, and the spare ribs were spicy and chewy with a lovely fragrance. We then enjoyed crispy orange beef which was toothsome and so flavorful. Mixed veggies in a garlic and scallion sauce was simple and fresh. However, the star of the evening, bar none, was the twice cooked pork. The faux pork was chewy and spongy with a nice light flavor, but the sauce was unbelievably good - so authentic like the way I remember from NYC Chinatown. These dishes were so good they brought tears of nostalgia to my eyes.

Pine Garden is one of the few truly satisfying, non-granola vegan culinary experiences we can have in South Florida (unless you cook at home). The fact that you can have a completely vegan menu so that you do not have to look at the choices you are unable to eat, is a huge plus for me. The food is wonderful, NYC style Chinese food, great taste and hugely flavorful. It is without a doubt one of the best vegan Chinese restaurants in the US (and thankfully, one that does not blast Supreme Master propaganda (not that there is anything wrong with that - please dont hurt me). If they had vegan shrimps and lobster sauce, they would be number one in my book. Alas.

Pros: Excellent food, Authentic NYC Chinese, Nostalgic ambience
Cons: In Boca Raton, Not in Toronto, Not close enough for me to eat every wee
wedieindisgrace
wedieindisgrace

Great addition to South Florida veggies

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2011

I have been going to Pine Garden for many years. Through both ownerships and have seen many transitions take place,Although they are minor changes I would not say the quality of the food has changed, to me it has always been good! Some portions have gotten smaller for the lunch menu, but I can understand why that may be (many people waste food) its common. Aside from all that Pine garden has an extensive Vegan menu, I have gotten to know the owners and I trust that the food is vegan.My review is not based on weather I know the owners or not but becuase I have been going there for years as mentioned and can attest that Pine garden is a great addition to South Florida restaurants for vegans. Its worth checking out! Trying what they have to offer - I have eaten at other Chinese restaurants with vegan options and honestly I find they dont compare to pine garden. One great thing is they have been upgrading the interior of the building which I believe does enhance the dining experience compared to what was there. enjoy!

Pros: decent prices, good food, vegan
Cons: smaller lunch portions, no specials
Traveling gal
Traveling gal

Can't Trust Them

3 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2011

I used to love Pine Garden, but it has gone through quite a few changes of ownership. When I first started going there the owners at the time catered to Pritikin dieters. I don't eat oil and they were very accomodating. However my last visit, at the end of the year, soured me on eating there. I had eaten there on several occasions, under the most recent ownership, and each time asking to make sure they could make my veggie meal without added oil. The answer was always yes. HOwever, the last time I asked the waitress she told me that they couldn't cook without oil. When I told her that they had accomodated me before, she told me they were lying, that they have to use oil. This makes me wonder about how truthful they are about other things.

If you don't have any dietary restrictions, the food is fine (though it was better under previous owners), otherwise I wouldn't risk it.

Pros: good value, huge veggie menu
wh17n3yx
wh17n3yx

Shocking

4 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2010

As we looked over the menu, I was kind of confused when I saw shrimp, pork, and duck on the menu. The waitress assured me that the meat was fake, that the Chineese didn't use milk or eggs in authentic Chineese food. We got a spring roll and veggie dumplings to start, and shrimp fried rice and pork lo mein. The meat was a little chewy, but other than that, everything was amazing. Deffinitely found my new after school lunch spot.

Pros: very friendly staff, huge portions, delicious faux meat
Cons: meat is kinda chewy
Jo-Anne
Jo-Anne

Has Promise

3 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

We went for lunch. Asked for the vegetarian menu. Prices were good, under $8 for the lunch combos. You can choose brown or white rice.
We enjoyed the hot and sour soup, which was hardly spicy at all, but I prefer mild. We were not enamoured with the wonton soup which was bland with too much celery flavour.
The spring rolls were delicious.
As for the entrees, the Buddha's vegetables were incredibly salty- we could not finish this dish due to to how salty it was . The sesame "chicken" (mockmeat)was very tough and much sweeter than we would have liked. I would not order these again. But as an earlier reviewer said, maybe we have not yet found the "right" entree. I think the place holds promise, so we'll have to try again.

Pros: helpful staff, lots of vegan options, good value
Cons: some dishes too salty, some dishes too sweet
redheadgo
redheadgo

Okay

3 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2007

I try and seek out the Pine Garden when my travels take me to Boca. Have only eaten there twice, however both times I just felt like the mock meat was too chewy and almost suspicious. They must use a different type of gluten/soybean than I am used to. Just wasn't as good as the my favorite places in DC.

There are a lot of choices for you and they have an extensive menu. The appetizers and soups have always been good, but can't find the right entree. I will go back and try again!

Pros: Variety, Friendly, appetizers
Cons: Mock meat can be too chewy
kindlizard
kindlizard

"I'll take care of you, my friends"

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2007

Those are the words spoken when we asked for the extensive veg menu. Great service. The apps were great. Need to go back for more examples of entrees. Not strict veg, but it wasn't in your face. Great vibe/ kind people. Around here, one of few places to feel good about eating in.
This was my experience a yr ago. Again, very helpful in going back, kind, they deliver, but are also in a good location. Thanks

Pros: Portions and food, kind staff, deliver and location
Cons: not strict veg

Dear Owner and Manager of Pine Garden: