Pick Me Up Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegan french toast, tofu scramble, vegan cakes, vegan shakes and coffees, vegan pancakes, veggie burgers, and more. NOTE: ask if fried items are fried in separate oil from meats or not. Price: Inexpensive more-less
American, Non-veg
3408 N Clark St
Chicago, Illinois 60657
773-248-6613

Open until 3am on weeknights and 24 hours during the weekends.

First Review by xsixshotx
mfg
mfg

A good number of vegan options

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2014

I love the buffalo tofu wrap, and all of the vegan brunch options. They have vegan milkshakes, and you can spike them with a variety of liquors.

Pros: late night, brunch, alcohol
Cons: wrigleyville, very busy sometimes
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

A great late night vegan option, or early brekky

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2014

This place makes the best vegan french toast in Chicago. One order can easily feed two people, or just one me. They are not all vegetarian, but there are many vegan options and they are open late. They used to be open 24 hours on the weekend, but I think that may have changed. I have had many of their other vegan items and have never had a complaint. It is one of my go-to breakfast places.

qbot
qbot

great late night vegan eats

3 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2013

The buffalo tofu might be one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. Vegan mac'n'cheese is pretty tasty, chili as well. The mushroom gravy used to be fantastic but has gone downhill as of late. One of my favorite places to eat in Chicago.

Pros: open late, vegan options, delicious
Cons: service can be slow, closes at 5am, very crowded late/brunch
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Best French Toast EVER

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2012

This place has the best French Toast I've ever had.

Their milkshakes are pretty good, as well, plus they are open late and have a great jukebox.

It's right near Wrigley Field, so it's easy to find.

I highly recommend this as your late-night option in Chicago.

Pros: Best French Toast on Earth, Open late, Vegan options
Cons: Serves meat
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Good late night option!!!

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

I just had one of the best vegan BBQ sandwiches in Chicago here this week. Opt to add the vegan cheddar Teese cheese to it, it's soooo good! With that said, get the vegan BBQ sandwich! :)

Updated from previous review on Sunday March 01, 2009:
Since I've moved back to Chicago, Pick Me Up Café has become a regular place for me to eat. I mainly come here after concerts or a night out on the weekends for "breakfast" as this place is open 24 hours on weekends and until 3AM during the week. I love their Hummus and the vegan Mac & Cheese is OK, but their vegan chili cheese fries are horrible. Their breakfast items are always very good and you can have breakfast at any time here. I do love this place [especially since it's open all of the time] and it's my #1 late night place to eat in Chicago.

WriterGirl
WriterGirl

Vegan Tofu Benedict!

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2011

Whether it's been a glorious day or a bad one, I always feel at home at Pick Me Up Cafe. They go out of their way to make my vegan heart happy. The Vegan Tofu Benedict makes a delicious meal anytime of the day. We eat here multiple times a week and we live in Evanston. The other day my husband asked me where we should eat dinner and I said, "Let's just go home." He drive straight to Pick Me Up because he knew what I meant.

Pros: Vegan options
JulieV
JulieV

Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

I love Pick Me Up Cafe! So tasty! We've been going more and more lately but need to slow down or we'll fatten up! I mean c'mon, open late night with the best vegan cheese fries!? YUMMERS! They have a good number of other delicious vegan eats, definitely worth eating there!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: noisy, a wait at peak hours
Sorriso.capo
Sorriso.capo

In love with Pick Me Up

4 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2009

Imagine, a 24 restaurant that server vegan AND vegetarian food. Not only can you eat whenever you want, but you are also served an abundant portion....Now open you eyes and go to PICK ME UP CAFE. When i recently visited Chicago-I went there...twice love it to pieces

Pros: Tasty Food, Good portion, Open 24hrs
Cons: Can be busy, Parking challenging, ....nothing else
jaml730
jaml730

Great selection of vegan eats

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2009

I ate here for dinner and was really surprised at all the vegan options. I had the pecan pancakes and a tofu scramble, and both were good. The pancakes were nice and fluffy just like they should be. They also had a vegan tofu benedict which sounded interesting, plus a number of regular menu items (like mac&cheeze...mmm!) This is a good spot when you have omni's in tow, and they're open 24/7.

Pros: Open 24/7, Giant portions, Good value
Cons: Slow service, Noisy, Parking can be problematic
tablemoonspoons
tablemoonspoons

one of my chicago favs!

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2009

this is on my top 3 list for vegan chicago, maybe number one! i way recommend to go for breakfast rather than other times cause you can still get normal diner stuff but there breakfast menu is really great! (but i am not sure, maybe you can breakfast it all day) the menu denotes between veg or vegan, lots to choose from. cool atmosphere, oh and yeah, cheap beer and pretty good coffee! my only BUT and its a big one, is that i would not recommend there vegan cheese fries personally, go to veggie bite for those... but maybe i was just there on an off night. oh and same thing for the vegan mac and cheese, go to the chicago diner for those. but past that i still think this place wins over the others in town! check it out!

Pros: menu, breakfast, cheap beer
Cons: soy cheese
nmattei
nmattei

Go There Now

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2009

If you want the best vegan cheese fries ever go there! This is the best vegan friendly place I've ever been to. Insanely good. Vegan french toast, what? Vegan Eggs Benedict- shut up!! And, yeah, there is a smokin' juke box, great coffee. Stay with me, the staff is nice too.. I was so impressed I ate there twice in one day!! They're open late and serve booze also, which resulted in the double down on the cheese fries.

yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

How could you not love this place?

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

This is a pretty well known spot on the north side just a couple blocks from Wrigley Field. The first time I came here was about 7 or 8 years ago when I was 16. I believe I tried the skordalia which I remember being very good. After visiting countless times over the years and trying many different items on the menu I can safely say this is one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago for both food and atmosphere. The vegan french toast is out of this world, the cheese fries (not vegan) are the best I've ever had (EVER!), and the hummus is always spot on. The wait staff is generally a pleasure, it's never too long of a wait, and it's open till 3am every night (and 24 hours on the weekend). I LOVE PMU! Come on a night when there's a show down the street at the Metro and you will likely find the bands dining there later on. Absolutely delightful restaurant that I will be patronizing for many years to come. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Pros: Food is awesome!, Great night time hours., Steve Schoop. Yep.
Cons: None???
soulditto
soulditto

Good but not sure about vegan friendly

2 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2008

I love Moo pizza at Pick me up café and often go there with my non-vegetarian friends. One day I had fries that marked as "vegan". But it was my mistake that I didn't ask if they use separate oil. I totally trust their menu and happy cow reviewer's notes. The other day I tried to order vegan fries again but at this time I asked if they are frying only vegetable in the same oil. The server said, "no, actually we fries other meat as well." I was so shocked. How come do they mark it as "Vegan"? The server said some vegan doesn't really care. =( Are you really don't care?

Pros: resonable price, big portions, vegan options
Cons: not sure if it's really vegan friendly, sometimes servers are not friendly
  • juliek juliek

to be fair-they only mark vegetarian options and some of those options can be made vegan, so it's best to just ask your server because there are certain items marked with a "v" that can only be made vegetarian.

iojove
iojove

The "Pick Me Up" is a Let-Down

1 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2008

I've never been impressed by this place... the food is mediocre, typical "burger and fries" kind of fare. Also, every time I've been there, the place was filled with cigarette smoke which is absolutely disgusting to me and completely counters the idea of having a healthy meal. (Granted, the city ordinance against smoking may have put an end to this... it's been a while since I've bothered to go there). However, if you don't like the greasy spoon/bar atmosphere, definitely don't go to the Pick Me Up. If you're looking to extend your night of bar hopping with a late night snack, on the other hand, this is probably right up your alley.

Pros: Open late
Cons: Mediocre food, Unhealthy atmosphere, Usually loud and crowded
Guest
Guest

Not Entirely Vegan

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2008

But what is makes up for it. Best service of any vegan restaurant I've ever been to, because they all seem to have subpar service for some reason. Not the Pick Me Up. All vegan offerings are delicious, especially the hummus, salads, milkshakes, and pancakes. The vegan desserts are amazing. If you are hungry and it's late at night, this is the best option for a vegan.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly and Efficient Staff, Open Late
Cons: Needs More Vegan Options, No Parking
steve dumperth
steve dumperth

best french toast in the world....vegan too!!!

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2008

loved it!!!!! went twice on a 3 day vaca. very hippie, but i don't always mind that.

Pros: vegan pancakes, vegan french toast
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

This is where you go late night after a show

4 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

Its fun to hit up Pick Me Up after seeing a concert on a Friday or Sat night. It always seems to have a good crowd and friendly staff. There are decent vegan options and a bunch of vegan desserts.

Pros: open late!, vegan desserts
xsixshotx
xsixshotx

french toast!

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2007

I am in Chicago for the weekend and decided to stop at as many vegan friendly places as possible. Last night my husband and I stopped the Pick Me Up Cafe in which I ordered the vegan french toast. It was GREAT!!! At first I was weary about ordering it because it was rather pricey, but the portion size was enormous, leaving enough for the next morning's breakfast. They even included a side of vegan butter.

Pros: delicious, fun atmosphere, late night hours
Cons: a tad pricey