Vietnamese noodle house where all food is vegan; the only non-vegan item offered is honey for drinks. The pho is house made without added MSG. Desserts include a traditional corn and sweet rice with coconut cream topping and vegan funnel cakes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Beer/Wine, Take-out

MikeAdams
MikeAdams

Vegan in Richmond

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

Last night I had an amazing vegan meal at Phoenix Garden. It was a bit slow so I also had an opportunity to share with the owners. If you are in the area do yourself a big, healthy favor and visit with them. Phoenix has so many delicious offerings on the menu. I am looking forward to my next visit to the Richmond area.

Vegparty
Vegparty

Perfect in every way

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

Loved this place, and found it thanks to all your great reviews. Had the sautéed eggplant, Pho, spring rolls, Banh Mi, and Vietnamese beer. The service was amazing, and even helped navigate a nut allergy with ease. The owners were very friendly, and even asked us why we weren't finishing all of our food. The portions are big and we ordered a lot! So we ate it all, sort of like eating with my grandmother. Lovely! All ingredients were fresh, fresh, fresh.

Cons: A little salty
TheVeganVagabond
TheVeganVagabond

Adorable and delicious!

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2013

The owners were the sweetest, nicest people I've met in a long time. They seemed to truly care about each customer and valued their business.
The food was delicious, and I'd recommend it to everyone who lives in or visits Richmond!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Large Portions, Delicious Food

payneja
payneja

Love this place!

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2013

If you're vegan, vegetarian, or even a carnivore, this place is awesome! All menu items are vegan but my meat eating relatives were also very impressed! We loved the couple that runs the place... they were incredibly generous. It was my siblings' birthday when we went and they gave us complimentary treats for them! They are so sweet there and the food is to die for! I got the veg pho and the summer rolls and I was in HEAVEN :) If you live in Richmond or just passing through, this is a great place to eat. Please check this place out! You won't regret it.

Pros: great food, very nice service, located right in Lakeside
Cons: menu was a little limited, but delicious
julesy bear
julesy bear

I adore this place!

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2013

This place excels both in terms of amazing service and excellent food. I adore the couple who runs it--they are so friendly, gracious and attentive. The food was truly delicious. I loved the cabbage salad and Banh Mi so much, and the pho was excellent. We had the yin and yang dessert as well. Everything was super fresh, high quality, delectable, and served with a smile. We will definitely go back to this place anytime we pass through Richmond. It's also really easy to find and close to 95, so it's great for people passing through.

Salamunic
Salamunic

The best Vegan Restaurant in Virginia

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2012

Some of the most delicious vegan food in the entire VA area. The restaurant carries a very diverse selection of unique vegan dishes and every meal is prepared with fresh ingredients and great perplexity. The service is undeniably hospitable and the homey atmosphere is welcoming and charming. I recommend this restaurant highly, whether you're vegan or not. It's one of Richmond's most appetizing gems.

Pros: Incredible dishes, Hospitable service, homey atmosphere
HollyCosta
HollyCosta

Will Travel for Vegan Food

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2012

I drove 20 minutes to check this place out. The restaurant caters to weddings and other celebrations. At first glance it seems like a normal restaurant, but you walk in, and it is very nicely decorated for celebrations. It felt weird sitting down at a table, but that feeling was quickly taken away. The owners of this business are awesome. The food was fresh, hot, and so pleasing to a vegan. They brought hot finger appetizers to the kids. It was perfect. The Vegetarian Pho made my day, I took half of it home for dinner. The menu was extremely affordable. Really good food, and really warm atmosphere. Oh, and vegan funnel cake. Gotta get that next time when I am not so full!!!

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff, VEGAN
  • julesy bear julesy bear

We saw your sticker on their door! We loved it too :)

Ameenah
Ameenah

I love this restaurant!

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

I discovered this amazing restaurant when I was browsing for new vegan-friendly locations. My fiancee and I have visited for lunch twice in the past week! I can already say it's become a favorite.

The pho broth is absolutely phenomenal. As others have stated, it's 100% vegan and MSG-free and easily twice as flavorful. I've had my fair share of vegan meats - and the ones included in the pho truly stand out, both in texture and taste. I actually appreciated the smaller serving size. In past experiences at other restaurants, I've been overwhelmed by the amount served - largely consisting of too many rice noodles that end up swollen with liquid.

The Vietnamese Sandwich is generally served with orange slices on the side, but when we visited they were out - and we received two complimentary desserts in place of the oranges. The couple that owns the restaurant is incredibly friendly! Great food and great service make this the perfect location for me!

My only worry is that some may have a hard time finding the restaurant, because it is a little out of the way.

Pros: Amazing Vegan Food, Fantastic Service, Perfect Portion Size
vegan999
vegan999

Love it!

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2012

I was having a really hard time finding vegan food in Richmond (the fast food capital of the US). We found this on Happy Cow. As we approached the restaurant, I was a little scared because it's a little "crappy" looking from the outside, and when we went in it look closed (there was nobody in there). However, once we were seated, and ordered, I was so happy. The staff was wonderful (I believe the chef's husband was our server). The food was even better. I had the rice stick noodle plate, and it was delicious. Others at my table had the vegetarian Pho (they said the vegetable broth was cooked for 6 hours, and they don't use msg), and the sandwich ( i can't remember what it's called). Everything was delicious, and some of my meat eating guests said they couldn't even tell they weren't eating meat. I'm so happy I found this, and if you are in Richmond you should definitely check it out. P.S., there was a really cute 5 year old girl that announced each customer that entered the restaurant :-)

Pros: vegan, great food, friendly staff
Cons: outside appearance
pentagoth79
pentagoth79

Delicious food!

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

I love this place because it's family owned, the service is great, and the restaurant is clean. The husband waits tables and the wife cooks. They're very sweet and friendly.
I've had the pho, the sandwich, corn fritters, drum sticks and the appetizer patter. It was all delicious! We also got the funnel cake which is good if you're looking for a really greasy and sugary dessert. Their other desserts are more traditional Asian desserts which I am not a fan of. Bring on the chocolate cake!
The lemonade was supposed to be homemade but it was way too sweet and tasted like a mix.

It's also all vegan.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 24, 2012

Pros: Great food, Great service, Clean
Cons: the homemade lemonade is not homemade, The food could be less greasy, too many mariscino cherries
bduboff
bduboff

Yummy unique food

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

Never had veg/an Vietamese before and was so happy we stopped while traveling through Richmond (thanks Happy Cow App). The food was great. Had the special which was veggie meat skewers with veggies and a side of brown rice and marinated tofu. Also, the Pho was great - not too sweet at all. The spring role appetizer was perfect as was the rice, black eyed pea and coconut milk desert. Wish they were in our area. If this is what good veg Vietnamese is about, I don't need to eat Chinese anymore.

Pros: great food, nice owners, easy parking
Cons: shabby, out of the way
zippypo
zippypo

Limited Menu but Perfect

4 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2011

The Pho was fantastic not a fan of mock meats but this was tasty. Would recommend this highly. Also tried the spring rolls those were perfect with the hot sauce they brought out. Sampled a mock chickn nugget and the Happy Family on the menu. For desert they recommend the Funnel cake. The owners say everything there is Vegan so that is big plus for me. Menu is limited only a couple things on it.
For two people expect to spend around $35

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Price, limited menu
smylly
smylly

A New Vegan Option!

4 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2011

Tasty homemade broth in the vegetable pho makes for a fresh and comforting soup. The fried brown rice is also tasty with fresh broccoli and mushrooms. The corn and sweet rice with coconut cream topping (a traditional Vietnamese dessert) is definitely worth a try. Phoenix Garden is a really nice addition to the vegetarian scene in Richmond!

Pros: food is fresh and healty, service is warm and inviting, only vegetarian pho in Richmond
Cons: hope they do ok with their location, doesn't look like much from outside, need announcement bell on door

Dear Owner and Manager of Phoenix Garden: