Pho Hoa Binh

Serves meat, veg options available. Extensive use of tofu, seitan, and wheat gluten meat substitutes in Vietnamese recipes on the dinner menu. Generous portions. Lunch buffet always has at least half meatless dishes, including the soups and crispy spring rolls. Price: Moderate more-less
Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by Feenix
cwormbley
cwormbley

Do Not Trust The Food!

2 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

Recently, my spouse and I traveled to Memphis for a conference. We used the Happy Cow reference to this restaurant as a place to enjoy a meal.

My spouse took advantage of the buffet while I ordered the lemon grass tofu from the menu. It took some time to get my order (meanwhile my spouse finished and was waiting for me) and when it arrived it was piping hot, a good thing.

What made me distrustful was that fact that the tofu was pungent with fish sauce! When the waiter inquired about my hesitancy to continue eating, I mentioned the strong fish sauce flavor. He quickly (really too quickly) denied that it was used in the cooking. My red flag went up immediately. Fish sauce has a very distinct, salty flavor. It is used extensively in Asian cooking. What bothered me is that the waiter insisted that they NEVER use fish sauce in their tofu. Coulda fooled me.

I would not recommend this restaurant if you are a total vegetarian. The food cannot be trusted.

Pros: Ample servings, Reasonably priced
Cons: Not very clean, Cannot trust the ingredients
no whey!
no whey!

Low price, high quality pho

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2010

Of the Vietnamese restaurants in Memphis, this one is my favorite. The prices are fair and the food isn't as greasy as many of the similar places around. Supernice family-run business. They're happy to customize your dish.
Pho Hoa Binh lacks in decor, but once the lemongrass tofu was placed in front of me, it commanded my full attention. Amazing.

Pros: price, convenience, omg lemongrass tofu
Cons: not pretty
Feenix
Feenix

Excellent Value

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2010

Delicious tofu dishes, friendly service, though definitely a casual - almost fast food - feel to the restaurant itself. Tofu dishes could use more vegetables, but all in all a great place.

Pros: Value, Flavor, Staff
Cons: More vegetables, Ambiance

Dear Owner and Manager of Pho Hoa Binh: