Menus from around 10€. Contemporary vegan cuisine. English is spoken but the menu is only in German. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Suermondtplatz 12
Aachen, Germany 52062
0241-9610569

Open Mon-Sat 12-14, 18-21, closed Sun.

• Cash only

First Review by ewecs
s_k_
s_k_

Would be worth going to anywhere

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

Splendid place. Simple menu but with enough variety to please many tastes. Tasteful decor. Very reasonable prices (but cash only). Friendly staff. Enjoyed every aspect of the experience. A great vegetarian choice!
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 28, 2014

Pros: food choice and quailty, prices, staff and decor
Cons: doesn't take credit cards
User08
User08

Great vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

Love, love, love this place! The atmosphere is really familiar. It is a small restaurant, which feels more like you were sitting in someone's living room. On each table there are some games (Mikado, card games) or books to pass the time while you wait for your delicious meal.
They work with daily menus. There are 4 main dishes to choose from, one starter and one dessert. You can also pick one main dish and make it a 3-course menu (which include the starter, the chosen main dish and a dessert). The menu changes every day. So if you're a picky person it might be a good idea to look at the online menu first ( http://www.pfannenzauber-aachen.de/Speisekarte/SK.pdf ). The menu also comes in two size (normal, small).

Pros: Nice staff, great atmosphere, Good food, Good price
Richard Ross
Richard Ross

Good vegan food.

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2013

We ate here on 4 December 2013, pleased to find a completely vegan restaurant in Aachen. The food was good and reasonably priced. The menu changes daily. The waitress spoke English but the menu was only in German. However, she lent us a German food dictionary so we could translate most of the items.

Pros: Good, vegan food, Friendly and welcoming
Cons: Menu only in German
happyveganlars
happyveganlars

Pflanzenzauber

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2013

Sehr nette Bedienung. Man wartet zwar ein bisschen auf sein Essen aber das Ambiente und die Geselligkeit können bei etwas zu trinken genossen werden. Es wird auf alle Wünsche eingegangen. Der Preis ist gehoben aber ok.

Very friendly waitresses. You have to wait a little bit for your food but the atmosphere and company with a something to drink make up for that. Every wish is taken care of. The price is sophisticated but ok.

Pros: Sehr freundlich/very friendly, Lecker/tasty, Ambitioniert/ambitious
CvH88
CvH88

Not worth the price

2 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2013

I've been there once because of a business meeting.

The waitress was very friendly, but I have to say that she was a friend of my business partner.

I think it's good that they use daily menus, just to make sure that everything they serve is fresh.

The real problem was, that I felt as hungry as I was before I came in, after three courses (big menu)! Just as an example, we were three people and ordered the same dessert. We literally had to share one banana.

I've been really angry after I was done, because I'm usually not hungry anymore after whatever I ate. Even when I would have feel stuffed, the price would have been too pricy.

By the way, the food was way too salty.

Pros: vegan
Cons: less, salty, expensive

AcEastend
AcEastend

simply the best!

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

Brilliant veried food, very friendly staff and an ambitious owner. What else do you need?!?

Pros: good food, imaginative, very friendly staff and cozy place
marcbr
marcbr

Nice!

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

Very nice place and the service is very kind. The food is delicious and the prices affordable.

They use daily menus so one can have the certainty that the food is fresh. The Pfannenzauberburger especially good as well as the "Vegannaise".

Pros: Vegan 100%, Taste, Service
Cons: A bit tricky to find
Qternocq
Qternocq

Excelent food, excelent prices

5 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2013

This restaurant uses a day menu. We went to this restaurant expecting a lot of meat imitations because of one of the other reviews, but this was absolutely not the case.

As appetizer we had an union soup with some very descent homemade stock. It had great seasoning and tasted as a good union soup should.

I ordered a curry. Strong and balanced flavors made this dish one of my favorites of all vegan restaurants I've been to.

My girlfriend ordered a wholewheat pasta with sun dried tomatoes. Very powerful and yet very good. Maybe a tad salty, but I love that (we switched plates halfway).

As a desert we both had a Dame Blanche with some nice treats on the plates (sliced orange, filled chocolate, agave syrup).

The waitress was not very friendly, but this could have been the (obvious) language barrier.

Overall: the food was very cheap (40 euro's including large glasses of juice) and very fast. I think we ate within 10 minutes. Excellent restaurant and an absolute recommendation.

mayamaya
mayamaya

Nice staff and good ideas, however....

3 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2013

... I would appriciate more fresh food and less meatimitations. I ate there several times and I stopped going there, because I dont like the meat imitiations, and mostly dont like the taste of the soyproducts they use instead of sourcream etc., even though I love the idea of an 100% vegan restaurant.

GOOD: They offer different sizes to order the meal according to your hunger, have serveral organic drinks and one 100% organic meal - unfortunatly it is the pasta with (good) pesto (12€), which I dont eat.

The best coice there is usually the burger with fries (8€) :)

Pros: good burger, organic choices
Cons: "fast food", pricey
Michael R
Michael R

Cheerful Central Restaurant

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2012

The restaurant is sited about 200m from Adalbertstrasse, one of the main pedestrianised shopping streets in the centre.

There is a daily changing three course menu: starter, choice of four main courses at different price levels, pudding.

With juice, the most expensive menu came to €20 for one.

The service was very cheerful. On a Monday lunchtime the place was quiet. I would have thought it would normally be spacious and relaxed.

The food was good, with some imagination.

kuni
kuni

Not satisfying

2 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2012

I had been here once before and all was fine, but unfortunately now I got quite dissapointed.
First of all it was cold inside. We had to wait long before we could place our orders, then again it took long before we finally got our plates. The vegan burger was almost cold and the pumpkin-lentil curry I had wasn't bad, but certainly not worth its money because all it had was a small portion of rice and the mentioned curry.
Too bad because a restaurant like this could really improve the publicity on veganism in a city like Aachen. Now it will only leave a bad impression.
On a positive note the atmosphere was still great, with personal art hanging on the walls and colourful decoration.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Lots of info and brochures
Cons: Expensive for the amount and quality, Long waits, Cold inside
RhiannonIlana
RhiannonIlana

Lovely place! please support it

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

Was there with a non-veggie local friend. If I lived in Aachen I would definitely support it, unfortunately it does not seem to be busy. The service was wonderful, really friendly, she also did try to speak English, and the food was great as well. They have a small choice of mains plus one starter and one dessert depending on the day and you can get 3 courses for 10€ or so. Good portions, we were stuffed by the end, and a nice decor in there as well. I really hope it keeps going!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly and helpful staff, Healthy cuisine
  • BKJ BKJ

I would love to support it but was turned away at 9pm on a Saturday night. My train was delayed and arrived just as it closed. I forgot there are places in this world that have no night life like sleepy Aachen.

jbashworth
jbashworth

Aachen's 1st Vegaterian/Vegan Restaurant!

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2011

We've waited a long time for this and it was worth the wait! Pfannenzauber just opened in 2010. The owner/chef is a 28 year-old who is determined to bring vegans/vegetarians creative and tasty food. Though one can order a quick menu, the basic set-up is a choice between three 3-course menus. One choice is always a vegan-burger variety (BBQ, curry, etc) and the other 2 change daily. We both started with a delicious mint-erbsen soup that was perfectly spiced. For my main course, I had spaghetti with a lentil-bolognase sauce and my partner had soja medaillions in a mustard crust. We were both very happy with the food. The service was a bit slow but the owner came to our table early on the explain that the waitress had called in sick at the last minute so a friend was springing in to help. All items on the menu are vegan, therefore also lactose free, and most items are also gluten-free. The prices for the menus are incredibly low (10-12 euros) especially for the quality and quantity. We intend to become regulars and will definitely recommend this place to all of our friends - even the meat-eaters will be satisfied!

Pros: Excellent food, Good variety, Friendly staff
JohnC
JohnC

Enjoyable meal in a friendly quiet environment

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2011

I disagree with the previous review that was negative. Having been in Aachen a couple days, already stuffed to the gills with pasta and having tried the Thai restaurants (passable) and turned up my nose at the Chinese places, I decided to give this place a try. I was pleasantly surprised and certainly recommend Pfannenzauber. It wouldn't be competitive with the top vegetarian places in New York or London, but in Aachen it's a great alternative.

They have a small menu that changes daily. As of this writing, there are 3 choices available at dinner, 8/10/12 euros. Add 2 euros onto your choice and get an appetizer and dessert. The appetizer can be either soup or choose your own cold things from the appetizer bar. (Didn't look at the bar so can't say exactly what they had there.)

I chose the 10 euro option, which tonight was polenta with stewed fennel in an orange sauce with various small crunchy things and a few berries. It was well conceived, unusual, tasty and filling. The other two choices were a veggie burger and fries at 8 euros - they seem to have a different flavoring each day - and fried tofu "fish fillets" with creamed beet salad at 12 euros.

The soup was some vegetable/nut concoction, hard for me to figure out exactly what it was, and my German isn't good enough to figure out the ingredients list on the menu. I enjoyed it, although it did need salt.

I felt the restaurant was a good value for a midrange sitdown restaurant in Aachen. The server was very pleasant and tolerant of my language difficulties. The environment is fun - quiet with plenty of games and books scattered around. There was a rubik's cube sitting on my table to play with.

They have both vegan and vegetarian, and they mark which items have gluten in them. I didn't look too carefully but I think all 3 entree choices had gluten tonight. They post their full menu for the week so I guess gluten-free diners choose their night appropriately.

ewecs
ewecs

nice place, bad food

2 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

I went here last night with some friends of mine.. It's a nice colorful place with a different menu every day. I decided to go for a soja-gulash with rice and Bratapfel-Konfit (still not sure what i ate in the end). The staff was very friendly and had a lot of patience with my friend who didn't know what to choose.
Anyway... the food... The Gulash looked not too awesome, and to be honest it tasted exactly like that aswell. It was the kind of food you'd expect to get at a voku, not in a restaurant. According to my friends the burger was pretty good. But with frozen fries from the supermarket and no salad on the side, 8 euros is in my opinon a lot of money for it.
Nevertheless, i think i might come back here again. Luckily the menu varies every day and i can do nothing more than promote vegan restaurants. I think that if you don't order something "adventurous", you'll be satisfied for sure.

Pros: friendly staff, quiet
Cons: not the best choice of ingredients, pricy

Dear Owner and Manager of Pfannenzauber: