Petunia's Pies and Pastries

Opened in Mar 2013, this is a gluten-free and vegan (except for honey in one of the cocktails, marked) bakery. Also serves a small amount of savory dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Bakery, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out
610 SW 12th Ave (SW Alder St)
Portland, Oregon 97205
503-841-5961

Tue-Thu 8:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-11:00pm, Sun 8:00am-9:00pm

First Review by heathera75
sglcklch
sglcklch

Good for GF vegans

3 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2014

Everything here is vegan AND gluten-free. They had a wide selection of baked goods and savory items, but I only got to try two things—the turtle cheesecake and the buster bar. Both were just okay, definitely looked better than they tasted, which was a bit disappointing. I'm not sure what the "cheese" filling was made of in the cheesecake; it had a nice texture but really didn't taste like much. The chocolate crust was quite good though. The buster bar had three layers—a peanut butter cookie crust, a middle layer of peanut butter cream, and chocolate ganache icing as the finish. It was pretty sweet, too much for me that I could only take two bites. But then again I don't have the biggest sweet tooth.

Prices were high: cakes were around $8 per slice while the smaller items started at $3. The convenient downtown location was probably also a factor in this. If you are a GF vegan and love your sweets, this place is for you.

Pros: selection, location
Cons: pricey, too sweet
LaurenWyatt
LaurenWyatt
  • non-vegetarian

AMAZING CAKES!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2014

I'm allergic to dairy and egg so my choice of sweet food/pudding is usually fruit. Using happycow I decided trying this place while visiting Portland.
There was an amazing choice of both savoury and sweet food and it was delicious !! Defiantly worth a try for anyone herbivore or carnivore. According to my family (who I went with) it doesn't taste vegan/healthy it just taste delicious!

Pros: Huge Choice, Delicious, Good Service
Cons: Bit Pricey
MarisaClark
MarisaClark

need more stars!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

There are no words for the amazing ness of this ice cream!!!! I will dream of this forever!!! Run to this place for their ice cream!!!!

vegankiddo
vegankiddo

All vegan, all gluten-free!

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

This place is sooooo wonderful. They have a case FULL of gluten free vegan baked goods. We tried several things that were all super tasty. They also have some food items that sound good, but haven't tried them. I was too overwhelmed with the variety of sweets.

cattyshedevil
cattyshedevil

pretty amazing!

3 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

You must have the grasshopper (mint chocolate) pie! Omg. If you miss those as a vegan then you're sure to love theirs.

Pros: location , just right
heathera75
heathera75

OMG- sooo yummmmmy

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2013

Remember that slogan from non-vegan frozen yogurt chain in the 80's "This can't be yogurt" ? Well this is pretty much the equivalent of that to the gluten-free world. (And of course, it's all vegan as well :) I am just so impressed Petunia's can make such delicious vegan desserts AND all gluten- free!

I would say by far the best gluten-free bakery I have ever been to, but furthermore I would say this very well could be the best vegan bakery I have had.

YUMMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Her baked goods are sold at People's Co-op, Food Fight, and many other places throughout Portland. So very glad she opened this walk-in bakery. I went a few days after the grand opening and got a chance to try some cakes and cupcakes that I had never tried before at the other places. Great atmosphere! Great service! The only complaint is a tad pricey. (not way off the charts expensive though- and like I said " T.C.B.G.F." O:) !!!!

Pros: delicious vegan treats, gluten free , good service
Cons: just a tad little pricey, i wish it was organic

Dear Owner and Manager of Petunia's Pies and Pastries: