Perfection - Satisfaction -...

Small veggie restaurant across from Ottawa University, operated by student of Sri Chinmoy. Offers hearty entrees, soups, salads, potatoes, lentil soup, and Indian specialties. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Western
167 Laurier Ave E
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 7R9
613-234-7299

Open Mon-Tue, Thur-Fri 10am-8pm, Wed 10am-5pm, Sat 12-9pm.

First Review by Petesternz
azaleea
azaleea

Awesome place

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

My family of 4 (with two young kids) went on a day trip to Ottawa and we decided for this little place based on the HC reviews. And we were not disappointed. We called before to make sure there were enough vegan options and that there were also mild choices, since a lot of the items on the menu are indian.

Indeed, almost everything was very mild, spicy but not hot, very flavourful and unique. The menu is not huge, but quite decent, with at least half fully vegan. We has soups, a big salad, the vegan burgers with small salads and a chili/dhal half half on mashed potatoes. Plus three oh so decadent slices of cake---chocolate, carrot and resp. coconut. Plus some ready-made fried 'meatless' balls (sorry I cannot remember the name, the only hot item, but not too hot) and samosas---we ended up taking a doggy bag plus some extra samosas, a perfect lunch for next day. All my family loved the great food, the nice vibe of this small simple restaurant. nothing fancy, but very clean and a feeling of love and peace, plus the inspirational art and messages. And the staff (all female) were wearing beautiful saris and were so gentle. Indeed, a wonderful place.
My husband also had an espresso, the best the had had in a while---their coffees and teas are organic and fair trade.
We are definitely going back again next time in Ottawa.
Oh, make sure you know the address, if not they could be missed--- they are just next to a fire station, opposite Ottawa university.
If you are in doubt, don't hesitate, this place is a gem!

Pros: awesome food, amazing staff - kind and attentionate, great vibe, intimate and peaceful
Cons: difficult parking, could be a bit larger, .....cant think if anything else
Happy smiles
Happy smiles

Cute and cozy!!!

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

It is a very cute, cozy and very friendly restaurant close to Ottawa U. The food is awesome with lots of vegan, gluten and sugar free options. They have now daily specials which are always awesome and super fresh. They are part of meditation group, therefore you can definitely feel the love and care they put into the food preparation. Definitely a place to check out!
Updated from previous review on Monday November 11, 2013

Pros: friendly staff, very cute and cozy, fresh food made with care
epoul
epoul

Cute

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

Cute restaurant, good atmosphere good food. I love their sandwiches.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food, Good vibe
Cons: Little expensive, Not much seating
Lola Crumpet
Lola Crumpet

Think it now has new management (?)

2 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2012

Management was rude. Gave me indigestion.
Hope has new, considerate management.
Stopped going, and never recommend.

Pros: good location, food okay, fair price
Cons: rude management
  • Happy smiles Happy smiles

Sounds like quite a bad experience. I have been going there for many, many years and never had that kind of disappointment. I know the staff and they definitely try their best in food prep. and in making the place very friendly and nice for everyone! I feel you should give it another try.

Soviet Canuckistan
Soviet Canuckistan

cannot deny the Chimnoy aspect

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2010

To the person who said "not creepy" get over "Sri" that's just an honorific like "Mr." it's Sri Chimnoy the removed ad must have been referring to.

I have supported the restaurant for about a decade now. The food is consistently above average. However you really cannot discount the Chimnoy 'aspect' of the restaurant. Prior to his death he was generally regarded to have been a cult leader and seeing all the "press clippings" or photos extolling his virtues can be annoying if nothing else.

The food is good, I always felt a bit bad for the staff. In particular the one whom I knew personally to have gone from a pretty 'immersive' baptist lifestyle to this extreme.

Pros: good food, inexpensive
Cons: ick factor re: cult
iwilldeny
iwilldeny

worth a visit

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

The food here isn't mind-blowing but it's consistently good comfort food. When they have it, the vegan chocolate cheesecake is amazing! A lot of vegan options and they're good about labeling whether a dish contains dairy. Might be worth calling ahead to make sure they're open if you go because there have been a few times where I've gone and they've been closed for religious stuff.

Pros: the chocolate "cheesecake"
Stephanie NC
Stephanie NC

Very yummy

5 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2010

The cafe is cozy and nicely decorated, peaceful. I had veggie-chickpea curry over mashed potatoes, and lemonade (which was too sweet). The food was delicious, and a good sized serving. It came quickly to my table. Will definitely go again. Very close to U of T, great for students.

jedzen
jedzen

Not a fan.

3 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2010

I cant say that i liked this place that much. I think that might not be my type of food.
I had a salad, with lots of sprouts and seeds, and loved it. But then i chose a mix of tofu and potatoes, and while not horrible, it was not special or particular. My boyfriend had brown rice with a mushroom sauce, which he liked, and an avocado topping, which he disliked. The desserts ( carrot cake and lemon poppy seed cake ) both tasted quite the same and were a bit dry.
You order at the cash, then you sit and wait for your food. Service was not bad, but they all looked a bit preoccupied and they were not focused on the customers. I can not say that this is a bad place, and i understand some vegan people living in Ottawa might be happy to have that place around. I just dont think i liked it enough to go back again.

procrastinasian
procrastinasian

Good food

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

My husband and I ate at the restaurant on a recent visit because it was so close to our bed and breakfast. We were both happy with the food and thought that there were enough vegan options. Another diner told us that the cheesecake was to die for, but the person right in front of us in line got the last piece, unfortunately. The lemon poppyseed cake we got instead was yummy (not the best I've had, but good). We also got rice bowls with different toppings, and shared a bonda (get one of these if you haven't had one). Overall, we liked it, but it was a fairly high price for the amount and type of food we were getting. The ambiance is fine, but not the most romantic or elegant setting.

Pros: Tasty food, healthful , good vegan options
Cons: a little overpriced, service was a little slow
jessienotjames
jessienotjames

got me through the rough years

5 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2009

I would have starved in university if this place hadn't been around! I've been going here since I was 13, so I'm also one of those who call it the Painted Potato! Prices are reasonable for the portions that you get, and the atmosphere is comfortable, if a little cramped.

You can grab take away pretty easily (which you may have to do sometimes if it's crowded), and it's an ideal location for UofO students. I don't know how many bowls of chickpea vegetable curry on mashed potatoes I have eaten in my life, but I've loved every one of them!

Pros: delicious, take away and eat in options, friendly staff
Cons: small, chilly in winter
Petesternz
Petesternz

Not creepy!

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2006

Get a grip. Love or hate Sri, that's your choice, but the food here is GOOD! Lentil soup always hits the spot, and Vegan cheesecake is always yum. Samosas are fantastic! Very worth the visit! People working here are very friendly, not creepy...

Dear Owner and Manager of Perfection - Satisfaction - Promise: