Pena Pachamama

Jan 2014 reported removed meat and is now fully vegan and mostly gluten-free with some raw menu items as well. Offers South American food, live performances some nights. Located on a side street in San Francisco's old Latin Quarter. Peña Pachamama means "Mother Earth." Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Raw, Organic, Bolivian, Peruvian, Take-out
1630 Powell St (North Beach)
San Francisco, California 94133
415-646-0018

Open Wed-Fri 5:30-10:30pm, Sat-Sun 10am-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by SynthVegan
Justin Williams
Justin Williams

Great Food & Music - Went Full Veg*n January 2014

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

NOTE: Updated to increase rating now that they are listed as completely Veg*n.

This restaurant is such a gem. Every vegan/vegetarian in the Bay Area needs to be eating here regularly. The service is top notch, the food is superb, the entertainment is fabulous and the owner, Quentin Narvia is marvelous and sweet.

I'm visiting from New Hampshire for 10 days, (moving to the area in a couple of months) and feel so at home here. I've already eaten here twice since Friday and plan on eating here every night for the rest of the week. It's that good.

During my first visit, Quentin came and introduced herself to me, made recommendations, told me her story, and talked to me for several minutes about being a vegan and a musician and why they finally went all vegan (though they still have one Salmon dish on the menu, which I hope disappears soon). I loved how she explained the reason they went vegan, despite the warnings of others it would doom her. She said she would rather go out of business than to serve animals. They are people of principle and any true vegan need to support that.

She went upstairs and got a copy of the "musical vegan cookbook" she wrote and signed it for me. She and her husband, a Latin Grammy Nominated musician, then performed with their band for a little over an hour, with one of the customers coming on stage to perform. To top it off, our very polite and wonderful waiter Cole, ended the show with a very positive rap. You won't get this kind of experience anywhere.

After the show Quentin came and sat at my table to talk some more, even grabbing a raw brownie from the kitchen to share with us. It's rare to be made to feel so at home.

She also invited us to return on Sunday to hear Dr. Will Tuttle, author of The World Peace Diet, speak. Of course I came, and was greeted with a warm hug and thanks for coming again. What an amazing evening it was. We got there at 5:30 to hear Dr. Tuttle, and had dinner over the span of 5 1/2 hours as they had Middle Eastern Musicians and Belly Dancers later in the evening.

Why are you still reading this...book your reservation now.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 15, 2014

Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 15, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday January 16, 2014

Pros: Good Food, Live Music, Friendly Staff and Owners
goodeats
goodeats

Something different

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

We really liked this restaurant. We had the buckwheat crackers with guacamole to start, and they were really fresh and tasty. We had the vegan bolivian stew that is served over quinoa. It was spicy, as they advertise, and really nice flavors. We finished with the coconut cream pie, which was so yummy.

We got there on the early side since we had not eaten lunch and had to be in SF for a meeting. The staff doesn't show up until after 6, although the restaurant opens at 5:30, and the cook let us in. We had no issues though with ordering and getting our food. We were the only ones in the place until about 7, which was fine with us.

We'd definitely eat here again.

Pros: nice selection of raw and vegan items, friendly staff
Happy Eats
Happy Eats

Unique and full of flavors, but service a bit slow

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2011

This is a nice little intimate space, though the live music is loud. The dishes are full of flavors and uniquely Peruvian. I had the vegetable stew with quinoa and kale chips. I hadn't had anything quite like it, so my taste buds definitely enjoyed the combination of flavors. I only wished there were more vegetables in the stew, which wasn't quite a stew either. It was much thicker than soupy.

For dessert, we shared a coconut cream pie, which was delish! It wasn't too sweet like many of the vegan dessert can be. The "cream" was made from Irish moss, a type of plant and congeals with water. Again, I've never had anything quite like it. This definitely a unique place to go. The service can be a little slow.

Pros: unique flavors in food, friendly staff
Cons: slow service
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Pena Pachamama - Nice owner!

4 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2010

So my friend and I figured that a Sunday night here would be slow, well we were wrong because there was a large birthday party, which led to problems as stated later in this review. There was a live Spanish band playing (which was neat) and the overall ambience of the place was nice (but very loud). The menu had several vegan and raw items - I was actually shocked by the amount of items they had. I decided to go tapas style and started with the avocado salad and intended to order more, furthermore, the waitress said she'd come back to the table to take our drink orders. Well the waitress never really came back and I never got to order a drink or additional food. To top it off, it took an hour for my friend and I to get our food. I realize that there was a large birthday party and one other table besides ours, but I think an hour is excessive. I also felt that there was too much avocado in the salad and the dressing wasn't impressive.

Originally I was going to give this place 1-2 cows because of the service, but I did talk to the owner a few days later about the situation - and she even went WAY out of her way for me regarding another situation there. I'm adding two cows for her service on top of the two cows for the live band and for having a good selection of vegan and raw items. I will give this place another shot when I return to SF.

Dear Owner and Manager of Pena Pachamama: