Serves meat, veg options available. Switched back and forth from offering fish to not, as of Sept 2014 menu shows fish; otherwise menu is vegan, some raw, and mostly gluten-free. Offers South American food. Live performances after dinner (with cover charge). Located on a side street in San Francisco's old Latin Quarter, Peña Pachamama means "mother earth." Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Bolivian, Peruvian, Raw, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan
calculicious
calculicious

Amazing vegan food!

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2014

We were surprised to never have been here before! The menu is 100% vegan and almost 100% gluten free! They have one salmon dish for musicians on the drinks menu, but it's not even on the main menu! It is truly a gem and anyone who lives vegetarian/vegan lifestyle would appreciate this place! Even meat eaters would be happy here! We ordered 6 different plates and enjoyed every single one!

We are musicians, so we were also happy to see the live stage in the middle of the restaurant. The owners, Quentin and Eddy, are charming and they have stories to tell! We plan on going back soon. This is our new favorite dinner place to go out to.

Pros: Amazing food, 100% vegan, Friendly owners
Cmclean
Cmclean

Great food, great music, great service

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2014

This place is a one of a kind restaurant. I entered the doors of Pachamama and was hooked immediately. The atmosphere is lovely and the smells were uniquely hypnotizing. I have to say that they have the best vegan food in San Francisco and I can guarantee they have options here that you won't find anywhere else. They have a vegan burger that is to die for and signature plates that could convince any meat eater to go vegan. They also have these kale chips that they make in house that are by far the best kale chips I have had in my life. They sell them in bags that you can also take home. My wife and I bought two and we finished them both the next day. The desserts were also incredible, I recommend trying the chocolate cake with a bit of their chocolate mousse. INCREDIBLE!

Just as spectacular as the food was the music. I went on a Saturday night which I must say was very lively and energetic. There wasn't an empty seat in the house. They were featuring an Arabic violinist whose talent was off the charts but mainly they play Andean music. One of the owners is from Bolivia and is a two time Grammy nominated musician! He plays this instrument called a charango which is like a guitar but smaller. Very cool. I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife, who is the other owner, and both were extremely nice and welcoming. I really felt like they were having us in their home, a truly great experience.

The service was also excellent. Our waitress, Kat, was very kind and attended us with care and appreciation. Even though she was very busy, she was able to provide us excellent service, I was impressed.

I would give his place 10 stars if I could. Do yourself a favor and check out Pachamama. It is one of San Francisco's best kept secrets.

Pros: Food, Service, MUSIC
Solnv85
Solnv85

AWESOME

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

This place has the best and most creative organic vegan food in the city! They told us there was a new menu and one side was all live food and gluten free. The other side was cooked vegan but also gluten free. Our favorites were the raw empanadas and live food BLT.and raw pecan fudge chocolate brownie. My sister had the Portopancho from the vegan cooked side of the menu. She is gluten free so was so happy knowing that everything on the main menu was gluten free. Her husband had the vegan burger, non-soy, he said that it was better than any other burger in the city. Another noteworthy food aré their Kale Chips, leagues above others! They had a great Cuban singer the night we were there, some Latín Grammy musician and one of the best violinists I have ever heard. A transformative night for my friends and i. We even danced in spite of all we had eaten. The owners are also the musicians, very special people. I am going to sign up for their raw food meetup group. Unlike any other, this place is a treasure!

lmz
lmz

Not vegan, not even vegetarian, promotes fish eating

3 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2014

Went to this place last night. I enjoyed the food, I had kale chips with guac, and mushroom tacos, and a chocolate mousse for dessert. The electric harpist was also lovely.

But the menu has salmon on it, and the woman who works there went around telling people, "do you eat fish? We can put fish in your tacos", Etc. so both people whose orders I overheard ate fishes. Disappointed that this is apparently a seafood restaurant with vegan options. I wouldn't have made the trek just for that.

• asciimo asciimo

"A seafood restaurant with vegan options" is not a fair statement. The dinner menu is 100% vegan. There is a "Musician's Menu" section on the separate dessert and beverage menu. In that small section there are three dishes: one that's vegan, one that has mozzarella, and one that has salmon. These dishes are discounted 50% for paid entertainers, and not intended for customers.

While it's not as fishy has you have described, this restaurant does not qualify as "vegan" by Happy Cow's criteria. But the vegan food I had there is very good, and I would recommend this restaurant to any vegan that doesn't eat exclusively at 100% vegan restaurants.

Justin Williams
Justin Williams

Great Food & Music - Went Veg*n January 2014

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

This restaurant is such a gem. Every vegan/vegetarian in the Bay Area needs to be eating here regularly. The service is top notch, the food is superb, the entertainment is fabulous and the owner, Quentin Narvia is marvelous and sweet.

I'm visiting from New Hampshire for 10 days, (moving to the area in a couple of months) and feel so at home here. I've already eaten here twice since Friday and plan on eating here every night for the rest of the week. It's that good.

During my first visit, Quentin came and introduced herself to me, made recommendations, told me her story, and talked to me for several minutes about being a vegan and a musician and why they finally went all vegan (though they still have one Salmon dish on the menu, which I hope disappears soon). I loved how she explained the reason they went vegan, despite the warnings of others it would doom her. She said she would rather go out of business than to serve animals. They are people of principle and any true vegan need to support that.

She went upstairs and got a copy of the "musical vegan cookbook" she wrote and signed it for me. She and her husband, a Latin Grammy Nominated musician, then performed with their band for a little over an hour, with one of the customers coming on stage to perform. To top it off, our very polite and wonderful waiter Cole, ended the show with a very positive rap. You won't get this kind of experience anywhere.

After the show Quentin came and sat at my table to talk some more, even grabbing a raw brownie from the kitchen to share with us. It's rare to be made to feel so at home.

She also invited us to return on Sunday to hear Dr. Will Tuttle, author of The World Peace Diet, speak. Of course I came, and was greeted with a warm hug and thanks for coming again. What an amazing evening it was. We got there at 5:30 to hear Dr. Tuttle, and had dinner over the span of 5 1/2 hours as they had Middle Eastern Musicians and Belly Dancers later in the evening.

Why are you still reading this...book your reservation now.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 15, 2014

Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 15, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday January 16, 2014

Pros: Good Food, Live Music, Friendly Staff and Owners
goodeats
goodeats

Something different

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

We really liked this restaurant. We had the buckwheat crackers with guacamole to start, and they were really fresh and tasty. We had the vegan bolivian stew that is served over quinoa. It was spicy, as they advertise, and really nice flavors. We finished with the coconut cream pie, which was so yummy.

We got there on the early side since we had not eaten lunch and had to be in SF for a meeting. The staff doesn't show up until after 6, although the restaurant opens at 5:30, and the cook let us in. We had no issues though with ordering and getting our food. We were the only ones in the place until about 7, which was fine with us.

We'd definitely eat here again.

Pros: nice selection of raw and vegan items, friendly staff
Happy Eats
Happy Eats

Unique and full of flavors, but service a bit slow

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2011

This is a nice little intimate space, though the live music is loud. The dishes are full of flavors and uniquely Peruvian. I had the vegetable stew with quinoa and kale chips. I hadn't had anything quite like it, so my taste buds definitely enjoyed the combination of flavors. I only wished there were more vegetables in the stew, which wasn't quite a stew either. It was much thicker than soupy.

For dessert, we shared a coconut cream pie, which was delish! It wasn't too sweet like many of the vegan dessert can be. The "cream" was made from Irish moss, a type of plant and congeals with water. Again, I've never had anything quite like it. This definitely a unique place to go. The service can be a little slow.

Pros: unique flavors in food, friendly staff
Cons: slow service
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Pena Pachamama - Nice owner!

4 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2010

So my friend and I figured that a Sunday night here would be slow, well we were wrong because there was a large birthday party, which led to problems as stated later in this review. There was a live Spanish band playing (which was neat) and the overall ambience of the place was nice (but very loud). The menu had several vegan and raw items - I was actually shocked by the amount of items they had. I decided to go tapas style and started with the avocado salad and intended to order more, furthermore, the waitress said she'd come back to the table to take our drink orders. Well the waitress never really came back and I never got to order a drink or additional food. To top it off, it took an hour for my friend and I to get our food. I realize that there was a large birthday party and one other table besides ours, but I think an hour is excessive. I also felt that there was too much avocado in the salad and the dressing wasn't impressive.

Originally I was going to give this place 1-2 cows because of the service, but I did talk to the owner a few days later about the situation - and she even went WAY out of her way for me regarding another situation there. I'm adding two cows for her service on top of the two cows for the live band and for having a good selection of vegan and raw items. I will give this place another shot when I return to SF.

Dear Owner and Manager of Pena Pachamama: