Its flagship Manhattan location, a relaxed cafe with vegan bakery on premise. Offers various pastries, cookies, cakes, juice, smoothies, salads, live food, sandwiches, vegan entrees, and daily specials. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, International, Bakery, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by cookiemonster
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

very good food

3 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2014

Friendly service and great food. We left completely stuffed and enjoyed every minute of it.

The desserts are really amazing, too.

Pros: all vegan
corinal
corinal

The selection of desserts is astounding!

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

The pan-seared Shanghai style dumplings were amazing and their ginger balsamic dipping sauce was drinkable! The chickpea fries are very tasty and spicy too, but the soy nuggets were bland. The potato salad doesn't look like much, but it is SO GOOD! I particularly like the fresh lettuce and bell pepper that comes with it. Now for the most important part - desserts! They have a HUGE dessert case that made me drool as soon as I walked in. The peanut butter cheesecake was a nice balance between sweet and salt, the grasshopper cookie sandwich has a wonderful mint frosting inside, strawberry shortcake was better when melted because it gave the center frosting more flavor, the regular cheesecake was good because it was smothered in strawberries and strawberry sauce.

Pros: Huge dessert selection, Great food, Friendly staff
Caroliner88
Caroliner88

simply amazing

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2014

During my stay in the city I visited Peacefood for lunch and the food was really good. The staff was really nice and friendly. I had the nuggets, mushroom pizza and a chocolate cake. It wasn't a traditional pizza but I loved it :) the nuggets was amazing and the chocolate cake was exactly like my grandmothers. I will come back for sure :)

cookiem
cookiem

Good food but ambiance mediocre

3 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2014

Peace food has a great philosophy on life through food, and for that, thank you. The menu is standard vegan fare, but the dessert selection rivals some bakeries. The best food choices here are whatever suits your palate. The salads are always a fav, but raw can be a preference, too. I like to go here because I have many choices that are good for dessert! Vegan desserts are not easily delicious, but they do a pretty fair job here.

I also love that I can go here and get a smoothie and sandwich or just veggies and cake. The categories of food here cover just about any vegan palate at any time, so, thanks Peacefood! Just work on the staff attitude.

Pros: Vegan baked goods, Vegan philosophy
Cons: Attitude
paulg
paulg

Great food, excellent service, good value

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

Delicious lunch here today. Daily, changing soups and some excellent, inventive sandwiches. Had the tempeh medallion panini with arugula which was a great combo of pesto, fresh greens and tasty tempeh. Also very filling.

Great atmosphere and really friendly staff, singing along to Third Eye Blind and Tal Bachman with gusto. NB playlist may vary

Pros: Very tasty, Good value, Staff
Babette
Babette

Amazing dessert case

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2014

Busy restaurant with a nice vibe.

I really like the soy nuggets, but the pumpkin sandwich was not unforgettable for me.

Vegan cronuts, strawberry shortcakes... it is dessert heaven.

Pros: friendly staff, nice vibe, Pastries!
Cons: noisy, expensive
aybea
aybea

Update the menu, please!

4 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

I go to Peacefood quite a lot. It's great for both lunch and dinner, for dining both alone and with a friend, and is reasonably priced. I also like the atmosphere and the staff are friendly and service is quick. However, I'm sort of bored with the menu. It hasn't changed for at least 2 and a half years (since I moved to NYC) and there aren't any specials besides soups. If you go, I recommend the quinoa salad, the roasted pumpkin sandwich, or the kale salad (serves only at dinner), and any of the raw pies for dessert (key lime is my favorite!).

Pros: Nice atmosphere and staff, Reasonable, especially for NYC vegan fare, Raw pies!!!
Cons: Menu hasn't changed for a loooong time
greenLOVE
greenLOVE

A Must TRY vegan restaurant!

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

This restaurant was very packed when I arrived late on a rainy evening. service was perfect. so was the food,deserts.the prices are fair. I will be back!

Pros: yummy food, wonderful desert selection, price
Cons: nothing
HiPB
HiPB

Yum

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2013

First stop on my tour of vegan NY. Had the Roasted Japanese Pumpkin sandwich, which had caramelized onions and arugula. Very good. Don't skip the delicious and refreshing Gingerade. So great. Although I didn't get to try it, the man next to me said the carrotcake was the best he'd ever had in his life. He had a cheeseburger with the works and it looked appetizing,

Pros: huge baked goods selection, taste, juice bar
VeganAimee18
VeganAimee18

Relaxed atmosphere, great food!

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

Peacefood is one of my favorite vegan restaurants in NYC. The food is unique, but very reasonably priced, and delicious! The staff is friendly and the atmosphere of the restaurant is very relaxed, and fun! The decor is neat and the set up of the restaurant makes things very casual and comfortable. My favorite dishes the Fried Seitan Medallion Panini and the Pan seared Shanghai dumplings!
Definitely a place to try! They also have great smoothies and drinks :)

Pros: reasonably priced, fun atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: loud during rush meal times
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

busy location

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

We had dinner at Peacefood and arrived during the dinner rush as the place was packed as was the takeout/bakery line. We got a two person table, but they are close together, so we had to listen to the conversation next to us. Since it was so busy, the service was just okay as I never got a refill on my iced tea. As for food, we started with the chickpea fries which were tasty. We shared the medallion panini and the mushroom panini. Very filling. For dessert, we got the strawberry shortcake, but it was really a scone that was too dry although the filling was very good. We decided to take the tiramisu and cheesecake to go. They were extremely good. Overall, tasty food, but I'd rather visit during off-peak hours.

Pros: good filling food, excellent tiramisu and cheesecake
Cons: very busy
heywood100
heywood100

Not mind-blowing, but no real complaints

3 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2013

We went in the evening, at which point it's certainly not the 'relaxed cafe' the description mentions, but quite a busy restaurant. Nevertheless, with every table taken (more or less), there's a lot of atmosphere, though I'd suggest they maybe cram too many people in, and you might find yourself elbow-to-elbow with couples on a romantic date (right hand side) or arguing with their mother (left).

The food was decent enough to mean I have no complaints however, I went for a pasta dish, which is not something I usually do at restaurants as it seems a bit of a rip-off - but this was plenty cheesy and sauce-y enough for my liking. I also had an excellent mulled orange-apple cider (although I remain disappointed with the fact that 'cider' in North America means a non-alcoholic apple drink, I can't hold that against this particular place).

Overall then, I'd like to see the place during the more relaxed day-time, and try some of this dessert that everyone is raving about in the other reviews; but my experience as it stands was also perfectly fine, if not exactly overwhelming. On that basis, three moo-cows,

HappyYogini
HappyYogini

Vegan Tiramisu

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2012

I enjoyed this place so much! I had the vegan nachos which were the perfect mix of crunchy tostadas, beans, guacamole, vegan cheese, and fresh tomatoes and black olives. Nice mix of textures and tadtes. For dessert I had the vegan tiramisu and I was absolutely amazed! The tiramisu tasted just like a regular tiramisu. So good! The waitress was kind and cheerful as well which made the whole experience so pleasant.

Pros: Vegan tiramisu, Friendly staff, Good value
Cons: Noisy
greenjdmd
greenjdmd

Good desserts but....

2 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2012

We have eaten at Peacefood several times and are pleased that they are opening a second location since most of their desserts are very good. However, our most recent dining experience left much to be desired and we are hoping it is not going to be a trend: the hostess seated us without handing us menus and when, after several minutes, I went to the counter to ask for menus, our waitress snapped "I'll be there in a minute" and another waitress had to bring us the menus. We should have left then but my friend was craving key lime pie. The meal did not get better from there with food plates literally thrown on the table and, while the soup was okay, the tempeh sandwich was dry and tasteless. The bill arrived without the rest of the party being asked if they wanted anything else (someone always orders coffee and dessert at the end of the meal) and we left vowing we would never eat at Peacefood again.

Pros: desserts
Cons: poor service, inconsistent food
DonaldColoradoVegan
DonaldColoradoVegan

First time..just for dessert...

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

Great experience,friendly wait staff, had hand-crafted Chai ice tea, and a wonderful strawberry shortcake.

Pros: Selection of bake goods extensive, Friendly staff
Cons: Noisy, like NYC
NJveganista
NJveganista

excellent!!

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

Creative menu, great food, juices & smoothies! Can't go wrong if you dine here. Try the vegetable dumplings and the potato salad, both out of this world!

Pros: menu, diversity in food selections
Poundie
Poundie

Delicious food

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

This place gets a bit crowded, but otherwise there are no complaints...very fine food, very tasty. The food is not cheap, but comparable to NYC restaurant standards in pricie.

Pros: Food tastes good
Cons: Cna get crowded
BadassJB
BadassJB

A must when in NYC

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

Excellent foodie food. I spent one of my birthday meals here. I had a pizza with trumpet mushrooms, shaved potatoes, arugula and truffle oil baked to perfection. My partner had a Japanese pumpkin sandwich. I thought it was pretty meh. But for dessert, we went all out. We ordered a cheezecake, coconut cream pie, and a tiramisu. All were excellent. It was a very nice b-day lunch.

Pros: desserts, foodie, variety
Cons: pricey, busy, cramped
conniex721
conniex721

Yummm

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

I wish I lived in New York and could eat here every single day. The chickpea fries (or perhaps more accurately, chickpea bricks) truly are delicious, just not exactly fries. My mom and I split the baked squash with mushroom gravy and potatoes. I thought the squash could have been sweeter and less stringy, but everything else was great. We also split the raw key lime pie: amazing. If you don't have a monstrous appetite I definitely recommend sharing. I can eat a lot, but I was stuffed after this meal and we split everything! Finally, the service isn't great. The servers are very friendly but it's not organized. If you're easy going and have no where to be, then it won't matter, but just keep it in mind. I'll definitely be returning!

Pros: Delicious, Many Options
Cons: Disorganized Service
ked2130
ked2130
  • non-vegetarian

My Go-To Vegan Restaurant

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2012

I've been coming to this restaurant for over a year now and I absolutely love it. The food is incredible--especially the veggie panini and the chick pea fries. The staff is generally friendly--a bit hipster-y but not in an off-setting way, and the desserts are to-die-for. I recommend the mini brownies (get 2 because one will just leave you wanting for more), the chocolate ganache cake, and the raspberry chocolate loaf (seasonal). Again, the food is seriously incredible and this is coming from a non-vegan so you can rest assured that I have high taste standards for my food. I'm not the type of person who's going to rate some place high because it seems good compared to other crappy vegan food I've had elsewhere (i.e. school cafeteria's attempts at vegan fare -_-). This is coming from someone who eats everything everywhere (well, not literally but you know what I mean). I love this restaurant and you will too if you go. Also, another good thing about it is that the portions aren't depressingly tiny. They're not trying to starve you (in addition to meat-depriving you) so you're in safe hands.

Pros: ridiculously great food, healthy and tasty, good portions, ambiance
Cons: crowded on weekends, judgmental stares for inhaling brownies, need to ask for ice with water
marturey
marturey

How awful can service be? We found out.

2 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2011

Ok, first the food. I had the "peace bowl" described on the menu as "choice of 3 daily roasted vegetables served over brown rice with ginger scallion oil." Many restaurants have variations on this and it is normally veggies mixed in with rice and sauce. Not here. When my plate arrived there was a scoop of rice, and then the three veggies surrounding the rice. The veggies were fine, especially the kale which had some nice seasoning. The sauce though was unremarkable. But the dish itself seemed like it should have been combined better since it was just rice on one side and veggies surrounding it with dressing on the side. It looked like the ingredients on a cooking show where the participants have to combine everything to make a recipe. It was really disappointing. My spouse had the tempura veggies which were good and the dumplings were tasty. The grasshopper cookie sandwich for dessert was really good "double chocolate cookie with mint filling." So depending on what you order the food itself was fine, not memorable though (well, maybe the cookie was). HOWEVER, from the moment we sat down the service was terrible. The first thing the waiter said to us about three minutes after sitting down was "are you ready to order." He did not want seem to want to be there and didn't even pretend to be interested in working at a restaurant and working with the public. He did not come to the table to ask how things were and just made us feel extremely unwelcome that we were imposing on him by coming in to the restaurant. The only service he offered was filling the water glasses. With food that is just ok, and non-existing service you can do way better in NYC than this restaurant. We wouldn't go back here during our next trip.

Pros: dessert (grasshopper cookie sandwich)
Cons: awful service, food is hit and miss
necropalice
necropalice

What's not to like?

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2011

A busy cafe with a simple menu. I ordered a pumpkin sandwich with a blended juice. The service was quick, the servers friendly, the atmosphere pleasant and the prices reasonable. The menu was healthy, with plenty to choose between, including a small raw section. Soup to sushi to sandwiches to delectable vegan cakes.

Pros: healthy, varied menu, quick
Cons: small premises
markc7
markc7

Some of the best vegan food in NYC

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2011

Order the dumplings! They are just amazing.

Great food and service, fairly good portions and reasonable prices. What more could you ask for? The desserts were another highlight. Terrific restaurant.

Pros: Healthy, Good prices, Friendly staff
Blacklizard
Blacklizard

So Glad We Tried It

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2011

I'm so glad we tried this restaurant despite the negative reviews. I LOVED it. I was thrilled with every aspect of this place. Everything we ordered was delicious. I kept dragging my husband back there even though he wanted to try different places. I usually want to try new places as well, but Peacefood Cafe was such a winner that I didn't want to risk trying anyplace else. We usually ate breakfast there and although their breakfast menu is limited to maybe three main items, it was all fabulous and I was happy to order the same thing more than once. We also went back for a late meal and a lunch. Every time we were there the service was very friendly and helpful. (I was a little apprehensive every time wondering if this would be the time they would be snooty or ignore us, but it never happened.) They certainly are not all over you, but we are fine with that. Peacefood Cafe was the perfect casual dining experience and I'm so glad we gave it a try. We actually ate here in May 2010.

Garp93
Garp93

Service?

2 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2011

The food was delicious. This is not about the food. It's about the service.

I almost didn't leave a tip. It's true what a previous review said, that there seems to be a couple of people who could serve you but they don't have a definite role, so they could be doing something else.

I'm not sure what it was but I was treated differently by the waitress than the people around me. Not cool enough? Too old? I am, admittedly, a paranoid person; however, when she asked, with a big smile on her face, the French couple next to me, how their lunch was, and seemed like she could care less about what was happening with my meal, I knew my medication was working and it was not my imagination.

In any case, I  received lunch with no silverware and no one seemed to notice. Your only chance at this point is to flag down a bus boy (or was that the cook or a customer?) I  asked for dessert and soy milk. Waitress brought dessert  but no soy milk. When I reminded her, a full five minutes later, she took her time getting it. Brought it without an apology. Rude!

Maybe I didn't fit the mold of what she expected in a cool, hipster, Upper West Sider. Was this due to the fact that they always have business and don't have to worry about what the customer's think?

I ended up leaving a tip, because the other waitperson,  a guy, was nice.

Note to management: get rid of the zone offense and have everyone cover one specific task: waiters are waiters, hosts are hosts and counter people are counter people.

Updated from previous review on Saturday March 05, 2011

Pros: Great dessert, Good food
Cons: Service, Service, Service
Veggie Salvadorean
Veggie Salvadorean

You want Peace? Work.

2 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2011

Located in the Upper West Side, it's what you expect from a restaurant in NYC: a bit overly priced, cramped, loud, a shabby service.

The food itself is actually pretty damn good. I ordered the roasted Japanese pumpkin sandwich ($9). The mashed up ingredients in the sandwich were very tasty. The Energize drink ($6) made of beet, carrot, spinach, cucumber was also very also delicious (even though at $6 for 12 oz. seems a bit too much, keep in mind it's the Upper West Side. It's NYC!!! So you can't complain about the price! Expect it in this part of town).

My friend only ordered dessert, and she had the strawberry shortcake ($6) while I had the carrot cake($5.25). Both were amazing vegan meals! The strawberry shortcake's presentation was a sight to behold as well.

As for the service? Lame.

The cafe was moderately busy, and it a long time food to come out. This was obviously true because the server apologized for the tardiness of the food. And when the food was brought out, it was the wrong plate! More apologies, and they attempted to make up for it when they didn't charge my friend's smoothie.

Peacefood Cafe's ambiance is that of a cafe: small, cramped, and hip.

I'd consider revisiting if I happen to be in the area again, otherwise, a single trek for the restaurant is not worth seeking for a moments peace for food.

Pros: Delicious food.
Cons: Service lagged., Cramped.
pradipd
pradipd

Mixed Bag

3 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2010

Peacefood Cafe promises more than it delivers. The ambience, the service are all very pleasant. But the food itself left a lot to be desired. It was not bad, just not great. Ia lso have a problem with any vegetarian restaurant that describes its items in terms of dead animals, albeit faux. The potato leek soup was excellent so was teh orange apple cider. Both were perfect antidotes to the frigid, chilly weather outside. However the soy cutlet (tasted too doughy) with the penne pasta (over spiced and over whelming), the Shanghai style dumplings (were limp and doughy) and the tamale (very tame) were disappointing.

Pros: Location, Value
Cons: Flavor
Take It Back
Take It Back

Best surprise

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2010

We walked into this place, because it looked nice and were very pleased to find out it was 100% vegan. Our waitress was friendly, helpful and honestly super cool (and damn hot too :-)). The pizza was great and so were the drinks and cookies. One of the best places - if not the best place - to eat in NY.

bill
bill

Rating: B

3 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2010

We enjoyed the food at Peacefood, but it did not rate an "A" all things considered. We were not impressed that the entrees were not served simultaneously -- I was almost finished my dinner by the time that my spouse's was served. This restaurant does not have a licence, apparently, to serve alcoholic beverages.

ninagi
ninagi

mixed impression

3 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2010

It's interesting to me that so many folks seem to find Peacefood especially affordable--because my main complaint about this restaurant is actually the price. I've gotten food here on a number of occasions and liked some items better than others. But almost everything seems overpriced by a couple of dollars, even by NYC standards. At $10 the salads were ok but neither stunning nor ample; the $12 raw sushi roll was middling at best; but what takes the cake for me is the $9 tempeh avocado sandwich, something I could have easily made at home for a couple of bucks. Speaking of cake, some of the baked goods on the other hand are really good and reasonably priced. I had a delicious savory "cheese" biscuit and the carrot cake was amazing. So I would select carefully when visiting Peacefood and maybe save the entrees for elsewhere. Note that preparation times can also be long, so it's not a place you can easily dash in and out of. It seemed for a while that maybe the menu was still being tested out, but after a year in business, neither prices nor preparation speed nor portions have been adjusted. Yet the place is obviously thriving, so most of its customers must disagree...

Pros: tasty baked goods, nice space, convenient location for UWS residents
Cons: seems very overpriced, can take a long time to get food
AlanC
AlanC

The Perfect Place to Stop By

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2010

Peacefood Cafe is one of the friendliest cafes we have been to in NYC. One of the owners Eric comes by your table to say hello and chat. Peacefood is as much community center as cafe with lots of people coming and going but the pace is not rushed but light and fun. The food is very good, the desserts are good, and the prices are reasonable. It's a great place to meet a friend, date, or hang out and read the paper. Try the dumplings--they are exquisite.

Pros: Ambiance, Price, Friendliness
Cons: Could offer more entree options
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

...

3 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2009

My bf and I went to Peacefood Cafe for brunch last week and ran into a slight problem. Apparently their food wasn't ready yet, so I couldn't order anything. OK, fine, so I settled for a blueberry biscuit and my bf got the cheesecake. What was irritating was that after we paid and got our food, I saw another customer eating a sandwich at another table. Why did they tell me they didn't have any food ready if they made a sandwich for someone else? Weird. Anyway, my biscuit was good, a little sweet for the morning (for me). My bf's cheesecake was really good, although, they should use a different crust because the one they use is very ... not good.

Violistakaren
Violistakaren

GREAT new restaurant in UWS!

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2009

A first time restauranteer has opened a truly satisfying and fresh ALL vegan restaurant on the sometimes difficult UWS. I highly recommend the Pumpkin Sandwich with crumbled walnuts! Also, they have a very large selection of yummy baked treats (I vote for the macaroons)! The staff is also mostly veg and very sweet, and the restaurant is comfortable and charming, even offering free wifi!

Pros: tasty, fresh, sunny decor
Cons: far from my house!
CrystalS
CrystalS

Delicious food, lovely atmosphere, affordable!

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2009

This new vegan cafe on the Upper West Side of Manhattan is my new favorite place! Since it opened, I have become a huge fan of the place and eat there a few times a week. The food is YUMMY and affordable! They have the most delicious salads (my favorites are the "Asian Greens" and "The Other Caesar"), and I also love their baked soy nuggets and their homemade soups. And then... there are the desserts! They always have a huge selection of cakes, cookies, pies, etc....and all vegan! I love the "Vanilla Lemon Cake", the "Coconut Cream Pie", the "Snowballs"...actually, I love all of their sweets.
Please keep in mind that this is more of a "cafe" than a restaurant, so there is no waiter service, but that keeps the prices down, and makes it very affordable to eat there. Also, the decor is light and sunny and open, making it a very pleasant place to hang out. Oh, they also have free Wi-Fi!! Highly recommended!

Pros: Yummy food and desserts, Very affordable, Nice atmosphere
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Wonderful! Insanely good desserts!

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

I went to Peacefood today, which happened to be their first day of being open! The staff was super friendly. The menu looked great, lots of refreshing and unique choices, all designed by the owner(s). For example, the cheese they use is an in-house cashew cheese, I didn't try it but am looking forward to it. The portion size for the meal was very reasonable for the price which, for manhattan, is slightly on the low side of average.

The food was far from average, it was AMAZING! I had a red-lentil, coconut, curry, pumpkin soup which was hearty and delicious. I also decided to choose one of the very few "junk" food options on the menu and got baked soy-nuggets with vegan mayo. Oh my goodness! They were to die for, seriously. If they secretly swapped these for chicken nuggets at mcdonalds, sales would go through the roof.

They also have a whole mess of wonderful vegan bakery items. Tons of cupcakes, cookies, some cakes, and fancy things like strawberry short cake. I ordered a slice of lemon-vanilla cake and a macaroon. They were really incredible! I can't tell you. If I could have stuffed anything else in I would have ordered something else.

A great place, it's a good thing I don't live in NYC or I would be here all the time eating the bakery items! I hope I can make it back before I leave town. Highly recommended.

Pros: great desserts, delicious, unique food, friendly staff
Cons: a/c was too high

Dear Owner and Manager of Peacefood Cafe - Uptown: