Peacefood Cafe - Downtown

Sister to the uptown Manhattan location, this one opened in March 2013 and provides a more relaxed atmosphere. Serves all vegan fare inspired by international cuisines, and pastries are baked in-house. An all day dining menu and nightly dinner specials, including raw, juices, smoothies, coffee, and tea. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, International, Bakery, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by HiPB
JustaPack
JustaPack

Love the food here

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

I love this restaurant to dine-in or for takeout. You have to try the chickpea fries, this dish alone is worth a visit to Peacefood.

Pros: Chickpea Fries, Anything on the Menu, Excellent Vegan Options
Cons: Service is spotty, No alcohol on the menu, A bit pricey
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Best meal out since going vegan!

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2014

OK, for starters- I am an unhealthy vegan, so I love carby foods, fatty foods, treats, cakes blabla....

Well, this place rocked my world and I just couldn't get over how much I enjoyed the food. It was heaving with locals which I love, so we waited about 10/15 mins to be seated, no worries. My other half had a salad with chick'n which was great (I find it hard to get excited about salad, but this one was seasoned and flavoured so well).
I decided to be greedy and go for their pasta dish, which was chick'n fillets (TWO OF THEM!) smothered in Daiya vegan cheese, on top of a bed of creamy tomato pasta (there were a few veggies thrown in to make me feel slightly less guilty about my indulgence).
If you are looking for a true replacement meal to your old days of meat and dairy- this is it. I could have served it to meaty friends who wouldn't have known the difference...

Although I was stuffed, I couldn't leave without a pudding having seem them all by the door on the way in. I had cheesecake and it was out of this world- creamy, great crumble base and gorgeous strawberry topping.
we will be heading back to NY and this place will be top of our priority list!

Pros: everything!!!!
Cons: I don't live near it
cookiem
cookiem

100% vegan 100% vegan 100% awesome 100% awesome

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

This place is 100% vegan, but you might not believe it! As soon as you walk in, the atmosphere is great. The lighting is just right, the seating is comfortable and modern, the decor is warm and hip, the service is prompt and pleasant, the baked goods are plentiful and eye-appealing, and the espresso machine is humming and brewing.

If you go to their website, you may find the menu slightly dull and cliche (pizza, salad, sandwiches), but do not let it fool you. The freshness of their menu ingredients leads to a small menu. However, they also have 2 pages of menu specials whenever you go in - the ones in addition to what's listed (staples). For example: roasted squash with gravy and sautéed cauliflower, nachos, a burrito-bowl style dish that looked oh so beautiful, "crab" cakes, pasta dishes, golden beet salad, wonton soup, etc. Those were just half of the specials!

As for the food's flavor - it's fabulous, but, in my opinion, a bit salty. Also, some of the food, although vegan, be careful about fat and calories if you are counting. Don't get me wrong, it's still healthier than non-vegan alternatives, but just don't kid yourself that it's "diet" or "low-calorie" food. It's free of cruelty and incredibly flavorful, though! The food is excellent.

I love that they have fresh juices, smoothies, teas and coffee/ espresso drinks, too. They make perfect dessert choices, along with the 3 dozen baked and raw desserts in the case. Did you know they make donuts? Did you know they make croissants? Did you know they make a hybrid between a donut and croissant that is ridiculously delicious? I almost fell over after I bit into it - I couldn't believe it was so good…. Ham and cheese croissant - vegan? Oh yes. Tiramisu - vegan? It's very good, but, not true to the tiramisu flavors I had hoped to eat. Still, very tasty!!!!!! They also have gluten-free cookies and quick breads.

The staff here in the front and back all seem happy and laid back, despite the fast paced environment. Everyone is really nice - probably because vegan establishments have that effect on people????

I love this place and can't wait to go back!

Pros: Vegan croissants, donuts, dessert, Daily vegan specials, Vegan lattes
Cons: Too many choices, Some food can be salty, Will fatten me up - too tasty

HiPB
HiPB

Even better than UWS

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2013

After enjoying the delicious food at Peacefood's UWS locations, I was thrilled to discover that they had another right near my work. I ate the quinoa salad, which was wonderful and came with a full avocado right on top. The ambiance is nicer than the UWS version, with more space and more natural light. The baked goods are all fantastic. I recommend the raspberry crumb bar or the carrot cake.

Pros: environment, food

Dear Owner and Manager of Peacefood Cafe - Downtown: