Not-for-profit garden cafe supporting a Meditation Hut and a Values and Eco Training Center. Provides vegetarian food (no egg), a bakery, a fair trade shop, and vegetarian cooking classes. Has wi-fi and computer access. Free community space upstairs for yoga and meditation practice and a movies library and viewing area. Eco-social displays and networking focal point for projects in the region. Information on NGOs, responsible volunteering and eco friendly tours. Traditional Cambodian chapei music Thursday evening, children's dance Saturday night. Swings, sand pit, and values-based board games for children. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Asian, Western, International, Bakery, Juice bar
Street 26 off River Road (Wat Bo, turn left upriver & right on 2nd lane, cross river from Old Market)
Siem Reap, Cambodia
n/a

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by VeganChu
edelany
edelany

Nice Cafe, But Mediocre For Vegans

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2014

Pleasant garden setting, central location and a good varied menu. Food we had was nice and reasonably priced, but because all of the breads contain milk, many of the western dishes (especially breakfast items) aren't vegan. However, you can get soya milk (so coffee, shakes and cereal is possible) and some of the pancakes are vegan.
Cafe attached to a good fair trade craft shop, a yoga studio and has info in local stuff

Pros: Ambience , Varied Menu
Cons: Limited For Vegans
PeteyMomo
PeteyMomo

Tons of options, with decent vegan offerings

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2014

My husband and I ate at Peace Cafe multiple times while in Siem Reap. We're both vegans, so that did limit our options; that being said, though, we definitely felt like there was enough for us to choose from. There were several Khmer options that were vegan, which we really enjoyed.

It's a pretty adorable place, and we really enjoyed hanging out in their garden. The staff was friendly, although they didn't seem to understand when we said we were vegan (the veggie passport was super helpful for that, though!)

Pros: Great food, Awesome garden, Friendly staff
Cons: Not a ton of vegan options, Not enough Khmer food.
Melisa Rosato
Melisa Rosato

THEY HAVE A ROOM WITH CAPTURED BIRDS! :(

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

Very few vegan options.
I went there 3 or 4 times.The last day i noticed that even that they try to talk about compassion in the menu, they have in the back a little room where many captured birds live in a cage because "the owner loves birds" VERY SAD!!!

aspara-gus
aspara-gus

Nice relaxing place but not enough vegan options

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2014

This was a great relaxing place to have a meal or just enjoy a cheap beer. Unfortunately, there were only a few vegan items on the menu which included one of their crepes. Food was pretty good and we started going here for both lunch and dinner as we preferred it to the other veg places in town.

Pros: relaxing ambiance, friendly staff, cheap beer
Cons: not enough vegan options, a bit away from Pub Street, staff do not speak good English
Sundal
Sundal

Great Vibes At This Little Haven

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2014

I love this place! We spent all afternoon here chilling, reading and sampling the menu, napping on a divan under the trees of this beautiful garden cafe. Service is excellent as is the food, with plenty of vegan options. I recommend the Apple, ginger and honey juice (although not vegan), the gado Indonesian salad, banana flower salad and the California roll. We tried other dishes too on our two visits but those were my standouts. Great gift shop selling beautiful fair trade items too. A beautiful, delicious oasis in the heart of Siam reap.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 06, 2014

Pros: Beautiful Energy , Great Food, Lovely Setting
Cons: Maybe The Pancake Could Have been More Cooked
Wyatt
Wyatt

Lemongrass all the way

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2014

My wife and I are here twice and the lemongrass based dishes are worth making the short and easy trip across the river. The lemongrass stir fried tofu popped with bright lemongrass flavor. The pumpkin and sweet potato crisps are fried with lemongrass and holy basil (not noted on the menu) and are also exceptional.

Non-vegan items are clearly marked, beer is cheap, and the setting is very peaceful.

Rob - Bath
Rob - Bath

Nice in the dark

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2014

Visited here when there was a power cut in the area - they provided candles and cooked what they could in the circumstances. Nice food, friendly staff. Also several gluten free options.

nielsgeybels
nielsgeybels

Great outdoor garden seating

Posted on 03 / 20 / 2014

A really peace(ful) cafe with a great outdoor garden, with many trees. The food was a bit less than I expected. The menu might be a bit too extensive, too many choices. It was okay.

Pros: outdoor seating
Cons: food was only 'okay'
mkpurvis
mkpurvis

Superb food

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

This is the best vegetarian restaurant I have found in Siem Reap. The food, service, and atmosphere were all excellent on the occasions we ate there.

Pros: Good service, Excellent food
lotustummy
lotustummy

chilled out!

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

Great coffee :) nice Staff and a really chilled atmosphere in a nice area of town away from some of the touristy madness. We had really nice veg sushi (nice big portion) and lemongrass tofu - both delicious. Juices are great too. And try a cookie if you are not vegan :)

Pros: good selection of items vegan and veg, nice fair trade shop, lovely service
Cons: pretty casual - ie not a romantic date place haha, some street noise
Lyra27
Lyra27

Gorgeous little place

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

Perfect little NGO with vegan options. This place has everything, beautiful staff, delicious food, a little fair trade shop, fresh juices, not to mention vegetarian cooking classes every day. You can go along every Sunday and spend an hour teaching Cambodian children English and there are also yoga classes that run upstairs. I have been here for breakfast two days in a row so far and really love it. Great ambience and very chilled. Outdoor setting.

Pros: Free Wifi, Vegan Options, Service
Cons: No indoor seating
globetrotterk8
globetrotterk8

Very good

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

Nice place, peaceful atmosphere. Staff lovely. Food good!

ms_
ms_

Fantastic food & chilled atmosphere

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2013

Great place, delicious food. Relaxed setting, even has a couple of swings, useful if you have children. No mosquitoes when we visited

Pros: Great food, Good service, Cute setting
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Relaxing atmosphere...

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

Visited here in July last year. A short walk from the hustle of the town centre on a quiet street in a relaxing garden.
The staff were friendly and the food was decent, if a tad pricey considering where you are in the world. BUT- I'm happy to pay the extra when you think about what they do and their ethos.

The menu was laid out and labelled well- I can't remember exactly what we ate but we went 3 times and did enjoy it!

We also met for their intro to Buddhism meeting which was certainly thought provoking. The monk was kind and easy to talk to, although the whole concept did leave me a tad confused. But certainly a great opportunity!

Pros: relaxing atmosphere, nice garden area
victoria may
victoria may

great atmosphere, great food

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

the Peace cafe is the kind of place you feel like hanging around in. the tables are arranged in the garden and include reclining and sofa chairs. The menu is huge, we went for lunch (though i would love to go for breakfast and try the pancakes or tofu scramble) and ate the vege amok (vegan!), lemongrass soup, and tried two of their salads - a bean salad with tahini dressing and a gado gado. All was delicious - especially the amok, if you are vegan travelling in cambodia be aware that traditional amok contains egg (not to mention shrimp), usually even vegetarian version, so it was nice to try a vegan version. They serve brown rice which is great. Definitely try the salads, it was so great to have a delicious beany/nutty salad rather than just tomato + cucumber. I am also kicking myself now because i have read on someone else's review that their cookies are vegan - I wish I had of tried one!
definitley go here - they also have yoga + meditation everyday, as well as daily vegetarian cooking class over lunch! plus its not for profit. amazing.

Pros: huge variety of great food, atmosphere, community activities and benefit
Cons: nada
freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

Delightful vegan crepes

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

Awesome crepes. That's about it. Their tofu scrambler was a travesty. I've never been served ketchup with shredded tofu bits as an entree. We were excited about the vegan bakery with full intentions of ordering everything on the menu in one night, but were let down with the first 2 items (chocolate chip cookie and chocolate cake) which were both quite hard and dense. However, I will say again, the crepes really were good and brought back fond memories of something I haven't had the opportunity to eat much in Asia.

Pros: great crepes, nice area, nice staff
Cons: food disappointing
Vgan
Vgan

Relaxing

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

I have eaten here about eight times in August 2012.Each visit was during the day, and I did not see any of the mosquitoes others have complained about; things may be different in the evening or at other times of year. There is a regrettably large amount of dairy on the menu (butter on breakfast toast, yoghurt smoothies, cheese, ice cream) but I had no trouble finding vegan options. The Asian dishes, various curries and stir fries, at $3 to $3.50 including rice, became my staples, along with vegetable juices and fruit shakes, at $2 to $3.50. There is also a good range of salads. But the main attraction is the relaxed nature of the place (in contrast with Chamkar, in the hectic Pub Street/Alley area). Comfortable padded rattan furniture in the garden area on a quiet street, where none of the laid-back staff seem to mind if you linger after you have finished eating. (In fact you may have to wave frantically to alert someone to get finished dishes taken away or to order something else.) There is also a smaller seating area under cover for when the rains start in earnest. Definitely my favourite place in Siem Reap. (oh, and one other thing worth mentioning: a clean toilet.)

Pros: Relaxing garden, Friendly staff, Varied menu
Cons: So much dairy
earthville
earthville

Peaceful indeed, and tasty too

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2012

We enjoyed two meals at Peace Cafe while visiting Angkor in 2011. Friendly, casual service, good food, good vibes. The tables in the garden are an inviting place to relax.

iamere
iamere

nice!!!

Posted on 02 / 09 / 2012

During our stay in Siem Reap, we ate here a number of times. Though there are reports of lots of mozzies, we didn't have such issues.
The atmosphere here is very relaxed, the staff are hyper-friendly and the food was truly delicious.
They had lots of vegan options and we had no problem finding something to eat on the menu.
The staff didn't all speak English but those that did, was able to help us enough.
The value for money was very good too. We ate a main meal for US$3 so we were content with that. It might not be the very cheapest place in town to eat, but for 12,000 Riel, with such excellent service, we can't complain.

Pros: nice outdoor eating area, lots of tasty food, nice staff
Cons: medium size portions
Cathy P.
Cathy P.

More Than a Restaurant

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2011

The Peace Cafe is located away from the main action in Siem Reap and provides a tranquil place to eat and meet. There's a lot of other stuff quietly going on there and the first night we ate in the beautiful garden we could hear singing/chanting from the second floor of the building. There is also a fair trade shop located there. It just feels like a sacred space as much as a restaurant. Good variety of delicious food.

Nicolas
Nicolas

Worst experience

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

We had veggie burgers which consisted of bad bread, greasy pasty and no taste at all. Chips served on the side were greasy too and the portion tiny. Not to talk about the carrot cake... A good illustration that sometimes Asian restaurants should stick to pure non-animal Asian cuisine we have had for ten days and which is delicious.

Pros: Location (except moskitos harassement), Not much about the food, even juices
Cons: Freshness, Tasteless
Puddingcup
Puddingcup

A lovely place.

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2011

We ate here a few times in our time in Siem Reap. Lovely atmosphere (though mosquitoes were a bit of a hassle) and very friendly staff.
I thought the portion sizes were a little small but most of the time the food was delicious!
It says that they don't serve egg in the description, but I ordered noodle soup and was surprised with egg noodles...
Wasn't too expensive, but I would rather a little cheaper due to portion size. But all proceeds go to good causes so no reason to complain I suppose.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Atmosphere, Yummy Food
Cons: Mosquitoes, Portions a little small
choogirl
choogirl

Lovely place

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

I went here in Feb 2011. I had a fantastic mango juice and bought some vietnamese rolls to take away for my bus trip. They were really tasty.

This place also has a shop that sells clothing that is made by and supports HIV positive women in Cambodia by paying them a fair wage. They have some cute t-shirts but watch out for mosquitoes.

Pros: good food
Beancurdlover
Beancurdlover

Great place

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2011

I was happy to find a vegetarian restuarant in Cambodia. I loved this place wish I would have eaten there more often. It was a nice walk from the place I was staying. The food was incredible and the flies were not a bother as with the other vegetarian place I ate at.

Pros: Great food, great atmosphere, nice location
Cons: Lots of mosquitos, smokers, need more seats
geckobranko
geckobranko

Good food in a lovely location

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

Good and healthy food in a great location. A little more expensive but the garden and admosphere are amazing. My favorite in SR!

Pros: great location, healthy food, Friendly staff
hardcoder
hardcoder

Best food in Cambodia I've had yet

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2011

We had not really had any good eats since being in Cambodia, and Peace Cafe (battling it out with Chamkar!) was a very welcome surprise.

Seating is in a very pleasant and peaceful garden. I'm not sure what happens during the wet season.

For our first dinner here, I dared try a veggie burger (usually a dangerous choice in SE Asia!) The result? Pretty darned good! It was a nice patty, decent composition, held it's form quite well, pan fried - possibly a little oily - but tasty nonetheless. Success! My wife stuck with a safer choice of Amok, which was far, far better than the one served at our reasonably fancy hotel.

The next day, not willing to face my hotel's bland breakfast again, we cycled back down to Peace Cafe. My wife had the rice porridge, which was nice and gingery. I opted for the scrambled tofu. It was tasty enough, but a scrambled tofu it was not. More like a goulash with shredded tofu in it. The juices and smoothies here are also good.

Peace Cafe has much else that is cool, including fair trade store, yoga, meditation, cooking classes and all that. But if you just be hungry - great food to be had!

Pros: Tasty!, Friendly, Peaceful garden setting
VeganChu
VeganChu

My favourite place in Siem Reap

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2010

I love Peace Cafe. It's a veg*n's best friend in Siem Reap. Very casual and relaxed.
It's quiet and peaceful, with a meditation hut, yoga, free khmer lessons and free Veg cooking lessons.
And the food is great. All veggie with most of them vegan as well.
My favourites - Amok curry, Thai curry, Gado Gado salad, banana flower salad - pretty much everything on the menu (it's a good sized menu!)
And the drinks are delicious as well - especially the fruit shakes - made with ice and sugar. Delicious.
The staff are wonderful and friendly. And it's very reasonably priced too.
On top of all that - free wifi. It's a perfect place to relax.
Can't recommend highly enough.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Free Khmer lessons and free wifi
Cons: None!

Dear Owner and Manager of Peace Cafe: