Serves meat, veg options available. Formerly all veg, but no longer since 2008. The simple food menu offers some breakfast food, tamales, quiche, beverages, and sweets. Casual laid-back vibe with large round tables. On the ground floor of the Red Victorian historical B&B. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Non-veg
1665 Haight St (inside Red Victorian B&B, Upper Haight Ashbury)
San Francisco, California 94117

First Review by Baza
Chia
Chia

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

I had read about this place on HappyCow and decided to stop in and check it out this week. Here's my Peace Cafe commentary, not really a review.

It's a historical building/landmark kind of place, located on Haight Street where there tend to be lots of street kids and wanderers hanging out on the sidewalk.

On the night I visited and was looking forward to get a light bite or a warm soup, I was told that the cafe had closed just before I got there... too bad. I did get to go inside and look at the menu and the wall art.

I felt a bit underwhelmed and even slightly disappointed. On the menu were dishes like eggs and cheese with bacon. The man at the front had told me that the Peace hotel/Red Victorian philosophy was about promoting peace. Well, serving bacon didn't sound like peace to me.

Also the space is a bit older and out-dated, definitely more like a coffee house than a cafe/restaurant -- could use a re-fresh or remodel.

On the positive side, there are some Veg items on the menu which are all marked. So that's good to know.

baruchadam
baruchadam

Hip style vege food

Posted on 11 / 01 / 2007

The vege lasagne was excellent! Right in the Haight, i'd recommend doing the city's walking tour of Haight/Ashbury and then eating here.

The owner is sweet, but the politics are supra left wing. i held my [centrist] tongue and enjoyed the food despite the pacifist hogwash.

There's a bed and breakfast upstairs too...it's all set in a historical home.

Guest
Guest

Good

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2007

I only live 3 blocks away so I sometimes stop in after shopping to pick up a cookie or a smoothie if im hungry. The food is good but nothing out of this world. Very nice people and nice place to sit if you just want to talk to someone. Also the menu has marks right next to the meal items that can be veganized or are vegan.

Baza
Baza

nice name

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2007

I liked the `sit here if your want conversation` table. The person who served me was unsure if the food was vegan or not. I had the $2.50 value $7 panini. It was okay. There were no other options.

Pros: nice atmosphere, nice art, cool location
Cons: limited menu, untrained staff, expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Peace Cafe: