Oahu vegan cafe operating since May 1, 2010 as reported to happycow.net. No honey used. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American

First Review by vegaholic
starlyse
starlyse

excellent

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

Anyone visiting Oahu should stop here! The menu is so unique. I had the "heart and Seoul" dish, and it was excellent! Good prices, friendly people/staff, unique and delicious food!

Pros: great food, unique dishes , relaxed atmosphere
Cons: none
HannaMaria
HannaMaria

BEST SOUL FOOD EVER!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2014

I LOVE this food and I crave it everyday! It is SO healthy and clean (and I'm SOOOO picky about that) and it is TRULY soul-nurturing as well as ridiculously delicious!

taraep
taraep

Delicious!

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

We almost skipped this place but I'm SO glad that we ended up going in. We had the Teriyaki Tempeh and the Hanoi. The food came out quickly and it was *amazing*. The atmosphere is quaint and the staff was extremely friendly. It was clear they have a personal relationship with many of their customers. My only regret is that we did not have time to return for a second trip before flying home.

Pros: Great food, Good price, Great employees

cmanturuk
cmanturuk

good!

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

get the teriyaki tempeh in a sandwich or plate, both delicious! food is a little pricey at about $8 a plate/sandwich, but very worth it.

Pros: food is divine, atmosphere
Cons: all coffee is decaf
steveveg
steveveg

Fine Vegan Choice

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2013

We had lunch here and ordered the Moroccan Stew, Avo-veggie sandwich and miso soup. The food was tasty. This is a nice, comfortable place to dine.

Pros: vegan, serene
Eviecus
Eviecus

Delicious sandwiches

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

This was a treat being in an exclusively vegan cafe! I was spoiled for choice. I got the Italian sandwich which was marinated veggies on a delicious sourdough bread. I also got a vanilla ice cream with berries and granola. I would have liked to eat here again but didn't get back to the area.

Pros: Great choice of food, Great value
Cons: location little far from hotel
Poppycat
Poppycat

Healthy and Delicious!

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

I had sandwich, miso soup and Korean bibimbap, sharing with my husband. It was all so delicious! Sandwich was filled wit fresh veggies and vegan cheese. It's thick and filling. I loved the Bibimbap. It's topped with a lot of fresh veggies and vegan minced meat. It's was tasty and spicy. Miso soup was also with a lot of veggies. It was very nice to have it with cold meal(what I was having).
They normally have vegan ice cream. But they didn't have it the day I visited :(
I wish if they have normal coffee as well. But it's their philosophy not to have caffeinated drink. I understand though.
It's so nice that this kind of place is in Honolulu!
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 07, 2013

AmyStein
AmyStein

Nice and Homey

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

My husband and I are both vegan and we ate here on our vacation. We got a very nice sandwich there. I don't think it came with any sides but it was big enough and very filling. I also like how it was easy to take the leftovers as the sandwich was wrapped in paper so there was very little packaging to end up in a landfill.

Pros: good value, good food, friendly staff
uglydumpling
uglydumpling

so happy to have found this place!

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

I loved my whole experience at Peace Cafe. The food was prepared so nicely and I could really tell that they care. The restaurant itself is super cute and enjoyable to eat in. My sandwich was really awesome and I had their matcha mochi cake: I loved it but my non-vegan father was unimpressed because it isn't sweet like most cakes are.
Overall really great lunch. I'm going back for sure.

Pros: employees care, great food, all vegan!
Cons: it could be a place you shouldn't drag non-vegans
DollyWiggles
DollyWiggles

Overall very good

3 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2012

I was only able to go the once but the staff were very helpful and I think this was the most eco-conscious place we visited which I loved.

My mom and I shared the caesar and italiano sandwhich which were very good. I am however used to making my own vegan caesar at home which I still prefer, but it was very close and could have used a bit more dressing. The bread that came with the salad was also a bit dry. Our sandwhich, however was pretty delicious. My dad got the BBQ tempeh which he said had more coleslaw than tempeh and didn't have as much of a BBQ flavor as he would have liked but then I remembered I had actually heard that about that particular sandwhich.

Aaaaanyways, overall it was good and I wish I had been able to try more dishes to give it a more fair assesment but I'd say definitely try it. They also have their own vegan mochi cakes which are quite good.

Pros: ambiance, staff, eco-conscious
Cons: inconsistant
TillieGarafola
TillieGarafola

Hidden treasure

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

The menu was so creative, and the serving size was perfect for sharing a bite or two. Their was limited seating, but it kept the ambience, and local business feel. They offered to-go, and had late hours.

Pros: Affordable, Vegan, Delicious
Cons: Difficult to find, Street Parking
bandita
bandita

Ho-Hum

3 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

My group and I felt that this is a little on the pricey side, despite the inexpensive review this has. Serving is small. Little on the bland side (for me to give 4 or 5 rating, I have to like the food at least as much as my cooking). We saw some other customers though who had sandwiches that looked great. We plan on going back for that 1 day. I would never bring a guest here though who's not use to vegetarian foods. I think this would give a bad first impression for most carnivores who are being introduced to a vegetarian meal for the first time.

Pros: cozy, water pitcher available for refills, healthy
Cons: pricey for the small serving, bland taste
jetgal
jetgal

I love this place!

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

I had just landed and didn't want anything heavy, so I ordered the Ceasar Salad. It was fantastic. The atmosphere is cozy, the staff is friendly, and the service is quick. I also had the soup and found it very filling. The menu has a unique assortment of options and I can't wait to return and try more things.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly Staff
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

best vegan food in oahu!

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

Peace Cafe is just hands down delishous. Each plate coming out to customers before me looked amazing. What gets Peace my ever lasting love is that they have one menu item with no oil at all times and many no oil customers! I was floored! The moroccan plate was the oil free dish and it was overflowing with flavor, even a small selection of pickled veggies on top. I also went with a decafe iced soy latte which was good. We''ll be eating here daily while in town

Pros: oil free items, parking in back
Steve Shoe
Steve Shoe

The bomb

5 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

Not pretentious and they have a changing menu. The Moroccan Stew was very good. The avacado ice cream was creamy and almost like butter. Neat place with a community table and other smaller tables. The crew was friendly and helpful. My total dinner cost was about $12.00.

Pros: food, good value, sweet people
Cons: small and not much seating
msblack
msblack

I wish I could like this place...

2 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2011

Lovely little place, very cosy and super friendly staff. Unfortunately we just didn't like the food. It wasn't that the food was bad, it just wasn't to our taste. I didn't like the sauce/marinade that was super concentrated or the block of tofu that I think may have been raw or maybe steamed - it was very fresh but I prefer well cooked tofu. I filled up on the rice to keep my hunger pangs at bay and ate a little of the tvp. The other customers at Peace Cafe were polishing off their plates so there's plenty of people that like their food. I'm just not one of them.

Pros: Service, Atmosphere
Cons: Food
suzieyoga
suzieyoga

Peace Cafe

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

This place was great!!!!! and you get to sit with folks from all over the world. Everyone is friendly and the chefs actually write little notes on take out containers.

Pros: delicious, vegan, choices
Old Hickory28
Old Hickory28

Great sandwiches for great prices

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2011

We were only in Oahu for 3 days, but we went to the Peace Cafe 4 times just for their sandwiches. Their Vietnamese tofu sandwich was off the chain, and I'd eat it at least once a week if I lived there. And don't forget to try their caesar salad - the crushed nut topping is so delicious! It's definitely my favorite vegan caesar!

Pros: All vegan! , Huge sandwiches, Price
Cons: Small place
danimari
danimari

My Favorite

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2011

I go here at least twice a month (which is a lot for me) and it is amazing every time! Everytime I go, it is with the intention to try something new. Alas, the cilantro hummus sandwich gets me every time and the avacado sandwich gets my mom (though I try different desserts). Just amazing. Lots of sprouts. This is a hearty sandwich that will leave you full for a good long while. Great to-go for the beach.

verdant1
verdant1

Excellent experience

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2011

As visitors to Honolulu, and vegans, we searched for reasonable vegan eating accomodations by Googling "vegan restaurants". Peace Cafe was one option and close to our
housing location. What a surprise and pleasant experince.
We couldn't eat enough and the first night was spent lazily relaxing after consuming a meal from there. We couldn't return enough times while we were there, even buying sandwichs to consume on the return airplane trip to avoid the lousy airline food. Try the avocado-veggie sandwich: great meal in itself. You'll be glad you found this place on King Street, as we were. It made our trip and visit so much more enjoyable.

Pros: excellent food, healthy food, good service
Cons: blank, blank , more blank
s_k_
s_k_

Promising

3 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2011

Pleasant place, nice staff, and nice menu. My friend and I ordered
the same dish but they came out differently, which was odd (and I had
some trouble explaining this to the service person).

I ordered the miso soup and the bibimbap. Both were very tasty.
However, I was disappointed that the bibimbap had far more rice than
necessary: it felt a bit like filler.

Still, I enjoyed the place, and with more visits could see liking it
and rating it higher.

Pros: tasty, good ingredients, nice menu
Cons: bulked up a bit?
  • s_k_ s_k_

An additional comment: it was annoying that all the food came out in disposable containers (bowl and plate). It seemed wasteful, and reduced the dining experience (and was inconsistent with the price).

Princess_Peachy
Princess_Peachy

• non-vegetarian

Yummy LARGE meals

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2011

March 5th is it's birthday an we got 3 free desserts. They were super nice. The food was wonderful. It looked a little different so I wasn't happy when I saw my food. One bite and I was in love. Everything was fresh and tasty.

Clean setting with a nice ambiance.

I will make this a regular. I orders 2 meal for 3 girls. We finished half. I then fed my sister the leftovers.

The prices are good also.

Pros: Friendly staff, great value, healty cuisine
Cons: only one sweetener, no street parking 3-6
krazykat
krazykat

Tiny but cozy:)

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2010

I ate at Peace Cafe for the first time today and I am extremely happy to know that there's a decent Vegan cafe here in Honolulu that serves organic and/or local produce, also eco-friendly.
When I first heard about this place, I was not too sure of the exact location.
I always drove down King St to stop by at Down To Earth but wasn't aware of the opening of this cozy little cafe at all. I guess I must have just drove pass by without even knowing it as this cafe is sandwiched between a Mexican restaurant & a smoke shop, and has no big sign you could see from a distance. Unless you either walk passed the store front or watched really carefully while driving(this is NOT recommendable, however), you may completely miss it.
I got there during a late lunch hour. There's a hand-written menu on the huge chalkboard, also daily specials on a small whiteboard right below.
Seems all salads are sold-out when I got there. I ordered a Peace Box out from the Lunchbox menu and cold Matcha(Greentea) Latte.
Because of the size of store, seating was very limited: 1 big picnic table in the middle, 1 small table right next to a counter, and a bar seating along the window at the store front.
The drink came shortly after I sat at a bar. Unlike the kind you'd get from franchised stores, this latte was not too sweet or too bitter. Very refreshing and perfect, indeed. AND Vegan. Just what I wanted. When I had a couple of sip, the lunchbox came.
It was soy-seasoned TVP mince served over a bed of brown rice, mix greens with fresh herbs(cilantro, parsley, and possibly either mint or basil), cucumber, and pickles. I first thought the TVP a bit salty but it accentuated the flavorful veges very nicely. The portion appeared to be small but it was actually quite filling.

As previous reviewers mentioned, they use disposable containers a lot but these containers are biodegradable, even the plastic cups for drinks(refer to the photo).
I also noticed & liked that they limit the usage of disposable utensils such as chopsticks or forks. I saw help-yourself water pitcher & shot glasses at utensil counter - I like this concept, too.

Overall, I really liked this cafe. I'd definitely go back there again.
Hope they'll extend hours in the future, though, so I can go more often!

Pros: Decent portion, Eco-friendly
Cons: Limited Seating, Opening hour(11am to 3:30pm)
vegaholic
vegaholic

nice vegan place

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2010

I liked the vibe of this place: friendly staff, small but nice atmosphere. I had the barbque tempeh sandwich which was delicious, I went back a second time later that week and had it again. The food was very fresh, healthy, organic, tasty & whole grain. Miso soup was good too, they offer different veggies in it on different days using some local ingredients.
The coffee was also good - t it was organic/fair trade which I hadn't found much of in Honolulu.

They were using mostly to-go containers- not sure if that was because they were new but they were fine about us bringing our own containers.

Pros: tasty, healthy, organic
Cons: disposable containers(tho biodegradable)

Dear Owner and Manager of Peace Cafe: