Small and quirky vegetarian cafe specializing in mezze with a Middle Eastern theme. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Middle Eastern, North African, Beer/Wine, Take-out
19c Well Lane, Church Street, Falmouth
Falmouth, England TR11 3EG
01326-317583

Open Mon-Sat 10am-5pm.

• Cash only

First Review by faerycake

Dreadful

2 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

The owner / woman who served us / cooked was terribly rude. She made us extremely uncomfortable and was in the true sense of the word... Unpleasant... She needs to deal with her issues before dealing with customers. She rolled her eyes at us, made sarcastic comments when we dared to ask a question re the food. We tried to order three drinks off the menu before we found one she actually had in stock.

For the first time ever in a veggie / vegan restaurant, we left having had a 'main' meal and going elsewhere to buy food as we were still ravenous.

I am now reading from another reviewer that this place also uses unethical milk!

Avoid at all costs. There are other places locally who deserve your money more and will feed / treat you better.

It only gets 2 stars as there is no option for one.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 21, 2014

Pros: Central location
Cons: Rude, Bad service, Food not filling

Quirky place, tasty food

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

I have been here a couple of times with family. It's a very small place (as others have noted) but cosy and nicely decorated in a bohemian kind of way. However the size does mean that you can't always get a table, or may have to share one.

Food wise there is an extensive menu which caters very well for vegans, and features burgers, sandwiches and salads for lunch as well as specials on the blackboard (such as soup of the day). Portions are generous, for example I've had the vegan 'blow out' sandwich which consisted of thick slices of granary bread, vegan sausage, avocado, houmous, chutney and salad - delicious and very filling!

Moroccan sweet mint tea is also served complete with a traditional silver pot and colourful glasses, something I've had both times and really enjoyed.

A couple of reviewers have mentioned the attitude of the boss, and I have found her to have somewhat of a brusque manner at times but she was not rude to us. A member of my family said that she would rather someone be real than fake even if this means they are not as warm and fuzzy as one would expect in the hospitality industry, and I tend to agree.

Pea Souk may be quirky and not to everyone's taste but for such a small space there is a lot of variety and interest in the food, and the owner has created a nice environment. The only criticism I have is that the food preparation area looked quite chaotic and one of the avocados in my sandwich had some bruised flesh that I had to remove - not something that would bother everyone.

As I've only been for lunch I can't comment on any evening meals that may be available.

Pros: tasty food, generous portions, attractively decorated
Cons: bruised avocado

Unbearable attitude from the boss

2 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2012

My boyfriend and I are vegan and gluten-free so decided to give Pea Souk a go, even though we'd already eaten. There was not much for vegans and only one option that was also gluten-free, but we decided to order one of those. We sat down and I had a look at the drinks menu and spied a vegan hot chocolate - which would have been great, but when I asked, I found out they use Provamel - owned by Dean Foods - which owns the biggest megadairy (as in, no grass) in the U.S.. No thanks! (Plamil is a great UK vegan organic fair business to support). With that in mind, nothing else took my fancy, so we asked for tap water with our main that we intended to share.
BIG MISTAKE!
The owner, the woman described in the review below, came out the kitchen and spoke to my boyfriend and I like schoolchildren, telling us that it was by exception okay for us to sit there today (how gracious, as paying customers!) as there were no customers. (At all. At 11.45am on a sunny Saturday in early September. Wonder why...) but normally I would have to buy a drink. It was not so much WHAT she said, but HOW she said it. Honestly, if it was okay, why bother saying anything at all?! Business sense also seems a bit lacking - people are much more likely to enter a cafe that is not obviously empty when the rest of the town is buzzing! We WERE paying customers and not happy with the attitude that SHE is doing US a favour. Sorry, no, we were not that enticed by the cafe or menu, but thought we should support a vegetarian business, especially one that seemed so sad and empty! But really, the rudeness makes it pretty clear why! So, we just walked out.
Reading the short reviews here, I really think they either walked into a different place, caught the place on a day when only the owner's long-suffering staff were there, or they are fake. In fact, we mentioned our visit to friends when we got home, and it turns out they also observed a similar incident to ours a year ago! Friendly and helpful are certainly NOT the words that sprang to mind in our experience.
The owner/cook should keep her charming manners to the vegetables and leave customer service to those better suited to it.
This is the first vegan/vegetarian restaurant I've ever walked out of, especially before even ordering. Avoid.

Pros: Serving girl seemed nice
Cons: Terrible manners, Limited menu, Unethical soya milk

Veggie Treasure!

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2012

What a fab little cafe were visiting a friend in Falmouth for the day & we came here, menu leaves you spoilt for choice & the lady who was working was a right laugh, helpful & friendly. Wish we had one of these up north FAB!

Pea Souk - Gorgeous Vegetarian Eatery

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2011

Fell in love with this delightful restaurant whilst in Falmouth - massive range of food - lovely Middle Eastern theme - great customer service.

Pros: beautiful food, understands vegetarian cuisine, reasonable price

Horrible stroppy member of staff

2 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2011

We visited it last year and again last month at lunchtime. A tiny, cramped cafe, only 3 tables, which were all taken. So small that one lady was accidently hit by door when someone was leaving. We were told that a table would become free soon, which it did - well, we shared it with another couple. There were two female members of staff, one of which was obviously in charge and barking out instructions to a younger girl, who served us, and who we felt sorry for. My husband asked for the all day vege breakfast, to have the older woman rudely shout across the cafe that she wasn't cooking that at lunchtime because she only had 3 rings and that it said so on the menu. What it actually said was that some items may be unavailable at certain times. My husband's coffee was cold when it was served. The food itself was fine, tasty and fresh, and acceptably priced. We had finished eating, but not yet decided (or even asked) if we wanted dessert or coffee to finish, when the older woman shouted to some guests who had arrived to wait because, apparently, we were just going. Her attitude stank - she was rude, abrupt, scary and made us feel unwelcome and rushed. When we visited last year, my husbands burger bun was burnt black, someone else sent back their piece of cake because it had mould on it, and the same rude lady was her usual 'charming' self, causing an uncomfortable atmosphere. We only returned because being vegan, one isn't spoilt for choice, and we hoped for a better experience. Frankly, in future, I would prefer to go hungry. Only go here if you like cramped conditions, sharing a table with strangers, and being abused by rude staff.

Pros: Rude Staff, Tiny, Items limited
  • RoseVonVegan RoseVonVegan

Very similar experience!

Homely if not small

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2011

I been here on a few occasions and if your lucky you get somewhere to sit. The food is excellent and the staff very helpful. Will go again.

Pros: excellent food, soya milk, great desserts
Cons: a bit small.

A true haven for veggies and vegans.

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2010

Delicious entrees, exotic teas and tempting deserts. Nicola makes her home-cooked food with love and passion that you can taste.

Pros: excellent food, cosy venue, healthy cuisine

loveliest meal out we've ever had!

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2008

My partner and I went to Pea Souk last week and it was absolutely fantastic.

The food was really fresh, tasty and inventive - it just seemed like everything had been cooked and prepared with a lot of care and attention to detail.

For starter I had Thai Gado Gado salad - which was absolutely gorgeous! Perfectly done tofu, gorgeous coconutty (and maybe peanutty but I'm not totally sure) dressing, and fresh veggies and sprouted seeds and things. My partner had soup (carrot and coriander), which he was equally impressed with.

The mains were great too - I had the vegan mezze, which was basically a mixture little portions of Moroccan dishes, all of which were great. My boyfriend had a totally yummy looking chickpea and aubergine curry, which he was really impressed by too. He particularly loved the chutney that came with it, as it was really unusual and tasty.

I was totally stuffed by that point, but the rest of the meal had been so nice we had to have pudding too! I had pistachio and rosewater baklava (vegan) and he had a cheesecake. It finished off the meal perfectly.

Nice selection of vegan alcohol too. The wines were really reasonable, around £10-12. We had a bottle of rose, which was really nice too.

I'd really recommend it to anyone. It was excellent value for money for the quality of the food. £18 a head for one of the nicest meals out we've ever had. We've both been raving about it since we've come home (we were down in Falmouth on holiday). Just wish there was something like it nearer to us!

Oh! one more thing: while it's open daytimes, I think it's mandatory to book for the evenings.

Pros: gorgeous food, good value, nice atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Pea Souk Cafe: