Pavani Express Vegetarian Cafe

Simple cafe style eatery making spiced South Indian as well other Indian food. Dairy is used, so vegans need to specify. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out
5755 Evers Rd (Wurzbach Rd)
San Antonio, Texas 78238
210-680-3134
Closed now

Tue-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

First Review by phaneendra1984
outreach4animals
outreach4animals

I REALLY LOVE THIS PLACE!

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

Although Pavani is definitely no frills, the food is absolutely amazing! I usually get the masala dosa and I love to watch them make it right in front of me. Admittedly this place is small, simple and not by any means fancy...but the food makes up for it. The staff seems a bit uncomfortable with English, but they are nice...just be patient and they'll get it right. Also, the prices are reasonable and you get a lot of food for your money. The soup and accompanying chutneys are great too. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for great Indian food...unless you're into fine dining. I'd rather have great food myself.

Pros: Great Food, Reasonable Prices, Made fresh upon ordering
Cons: Staff a bit shy and uncomf w/English
patitacolordecafe
patitacolordecafe

Frustrating/Uninviting but Good

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2013

One of the things I miss about being a vegetarian is eating Indian Food. Since my husband an I decided to go vegan, we rarely attempt any Indian restaurants because our experience has been that the majority of these establishments are staffed by people with very limited English skills. I decided to try this place due to the reviews. When I stepped up to the counter I asked the cashier to tell me what dishes had no gee or dairy and he couldn't understand what I was asking him. I was lucky enough to ask a fluent english speaking lady in line to help me decipher what was on the menu. The menu offered only the title of the dish with out a description of what was in it. When I got my food all of it was spicy, even the lemon rice that I was planning on feeding my toddlers. Overall the food was good and the servings were very large. I really wanted to like this place but I can't say I will be returning. The majority of the food gets served in styrofoam containers, you use plastic utensils, and the place was not clean or inviting. That in itself made the whole experience not very enjoyable. Definitely not Eco friendly or very hygienic which are huge concerns of ours.

Pros: Large servings, Reasonable Price
Cons: Large amounts of Styrofoam Waste , Not Very Clean, Language Barrier
mikesher001
mikesher001

Indian

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

I just read the reviews on this restaurant yesterday since I just decided to eat healthier and wanted to eat Indian me and my husband usually go to Indian Palace but I wanted to try a different restaurant. We walked in and sure enough it was just as described in the previous reviews it is very much a hole in the wall. You walk up to the cashier and order what you want but the menu doesn't explain what the dishes consist of that was the only downside as I had to ask the cashier for suggestions. She did recommend some very good dishes though and everything is made to order it is never prepared in advance which I liked alot. All your food comes out on paper plates you get your own plastic ware in napkins which wasn't an issue. We ordered the cheese and bean dosa a potato appetizer and spicy noodles and vegetables and curry with rice all the food was amazingly good we loved every bite and it was spicy which we love I know some people can't handle really hot food so I would ask the cashier first before ordering anything on how spicy the food is, this place was to me a fast food version of Indian food but way better quality food then you'd get at a fast food joint. I'd recommend trying this place the food is definitely worth going and the prices are reasonable for the amount of food you recieve they give you alot. Be prepared to get take home boxes.

Pros: amount of food, great food
Cons: dive, no detailed menu's

Suz
Suz

not my favorite

Posted on 12 / 15 / 2011

fast, reasonably priced, very spicy, no explanations of what's in the dishes if you don't happen to know what the Indian ingredients are. i'm very into Indian food, so was extremely disappointed when this place opened about the time we moved here (within walking distance of our house!). even the dal was sooo spicy hot, i couldn't eat it. never went back.

my husband likes this place and would eat there sometimes, but he likes much spicier food than i do. he doesn't care about atmosphere. he's brought home some samosas i liked.

Pros: good samosas, large portions, very affordable
Cons: tiny with very uncomfortable atmosphere, way too spicy, unfriendly staff who won't explain menu
ErikaAnne
ErikaAnne

Good

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2011

I was a bite hesitant when I walked in because the place looks pretty grungy. There were dirty plates everywhere and the tables were not whipped down. But there aren't that many veg restaurants in this town so I try not to be too picky. They are vegan friendly as well.

But the food was amazing! So great spice wise and extremely affordable! The plates were huge so come with a monstrous appetite! The menu is big but non descriptive so you had better know your Indian food going in.

Pros: Affordable, Large portions, vegan friendly
Cons: dive-y
RedHyena
RedHyena

Absolutely amazing!!!

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2010

This place is incredible! Best Indian food I've had (NO exaggeration), and I've tried restaurants in Monterey, CA, Ft. Worth, TX and Honolulu, HI! The place's appearance isn't much, just a hole in the wall looking place; you'll probably walk in wondering if you picked the right spot. The dishes and utensils are all disposable but the food is OUT OF THIS WORLD! The prices are great, and two dishes can feed three people unless you're a big eater. Myself and my parents ate there for under $20. The staff are very friendly, and they give you the dishes as they're prepared (another good reason to just order assuming everyone will share).

For reference, portion sizes on most dishes are on a standard paper plate, filled half with the dish you ordered and half with white rice. These usually run between $6 and $8. The dosa dishes also looked amazing, though we didn't have room left to try them.

Not familiar enough with Indian ingredients to say whether there are many (or any) vegan options, but if you're vegetarian or just like Indian food, it's great!

Pros: spicy, well-seasoned food, reasonable portions, great prices
Cons: small eating space, a little noisy
phaneendra1984
phaneendra1984

A Treat for your Taste buds

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2010

hi guys,
Recently i ve been to it ,the food was awesome

Pros: tasty food, clean environment, good customer service
Cons: poor ambiance, need to be lill organized

Dear Owner and Manager of Pavani Express Vegetarian Cafe: