Paul and Elizabeth's

Serves meat, veg options available. Nice atmosphere. Ask for vegan options. Note that everything fried is in fish oil. Price: Moderate more-less
American, Organic, Non-veg

First Review by will-travel-for-food
HappyGardener123
HappyGardener123

gf + vegan = tricky

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

So when I was vegetarian this was one of my favorite restaurants because the sauces are so amazing! Now being fully vegan AND having a celiac diagnosis, I'm much more limited. While there are still some options, anything fried is excluded as are most sauces since they use soy sauce rather than a wheat free tamari as a base. Wheat free tamari IS available when I ask but... It's just tamari on my otherwise dry rice & tofu & veggies. If you are not gf, there are many more options and my strictly vegan friends can still enjoy the flavorful dishes.

2headedboi
2headedboi

P & E's Response

3 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

So it looks like P & E's will be addressing the issue raised by the last poster. Here is an excerpt from their response:

Being a restaurant of many "hats" I have run into issues over the years, and I am determined to rectify this one as well. With the limited space we have, there was only room for one fryer, which in hindsight is a problem. I hope you can believe me when I say from my heart this was never meant as "deception" as this reviewers claimed. I am disappointed in myself for this oversight, and am doing everything I can to make it right.

So to answer your questions, the only food items that come into question are deep fried. All menu items such as pan fried, broiled, or grilled are kept separate, pans & surfaces sanitized after use. We have been thoroughly training our staff to make sure customers know this, and I am in the process of changing our menus . I was really hoping on acquiring a separate fryer, but due to our space & Massachusetts code, this is not possible. One example of changes thus far is our veggie platter. It contained fried tofu & rice croquettes, have been substituted with baked brown rice & steamed tofu, with the option of fried items if so desired. On the new menu will be stating items that are vegan & vegetarian.

I intend to have a menu ready in the next couple of weeks, & hope I have answered your questions.

So I'm looking forward to seeing a somewhat altered menu that is more specific about what's vegan/vegetarian and what's not. Still good food here if you ask me.

Sarah P
Sarah P

all foods fried in same oil as fish

1 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2013

After 20 years of frequenting P&E's, I just found out that all foods are fried in the same oil: fish, vegetable tempura, rice croquettes, and tofu. Over the years I have asked many questions about the veganism of many menu items, and I have never been informed of this fact until a few days ago. I had not been aware of this practice, and I did not think to ask because foods are labeled as "vegetarian" or located in the "vegetarian section" of the menu. For example, I just found out that the "vegetarian platter" special contains tofu and rice croquettes that are fried in the same oil along with fish.

When I discovered this fact, the server informed me that I had been irresponsible in making such an assumption, and that it had been my duty to ask the specific question about the oil in order to make "informed consent". She further explained that when customers report having a fish allergy they are informed of the practice because they have a "medical issue", but vegetarians are not told of the practice because they have made a "choice". She said that P&E's is by no means a "vegetarian, organic, or kosher" restaurant, and people make the mistake to assume that it is in fact vegetarian.

I have since contacted the owner who reported that he will try to work with his staff to rectify the situation, though he did not specify the measures he would take. Please be informed that should you consider P&E's for a meal, any fried foods, whether or not they are delineated as "vegetarian", are cooked in the same oil as fish.

Pros: Healthy , Beautiful space
Cons: Fish & "vegetarian" fried together, possible previous deception, one rude & arrogant server
Chililizzy
Chililizzy

Delish - for Vegan Adults & Kids

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

While traveling through MA on route to RI, my husband and I took our kids (4 & 5 years old) to Paul & Elizabeth's for lunch recently. We're vegan, so it's hard to find great food that isn't going to be too expensive. We were blown away by every detail of Paul & Elizabeth's, form the menu, to the service, to the fair prices. The food was delicious, and my kids devoured their own meals, and ate some of ours! Highly, highly recommended.

Pros: great service, great kids menu, fair prices
Cons: smells like fish
Sally K
Sally K

Excellent tofu

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

Paul and Elizabeth's tofu dishes are excellent. My sister says that when I eat there with her I "go to my happy place". The food in general is excellent. It's a pescatarian restaurant, not vegetarian, but many veggie options.

Pros: Excellent tofu

Kenneth Robinson
Kenneth Robinson

Always reliable

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2010

P&E is a Northampton institution, they've been at their Thorne's Market location for many, many years. It is a convenient and pleasant location, with ample parking nearby.

Though not my favorite NoHo restaurant it is one I go to regularly as it is popular with omnis and the food is consistently well prepared. The menu doesn't change much but there are a multitude of veg and vegan choices. Portions are generous and the staff is pleasant and helpful.
Their desserts are excellent, but there usually aren't many vegan options on the dessert menu.

P&E roots are macrobiotic and the menu reflects this with many dishes being a bit on the bland side but really well prepared. There is are some entrees that are spicy and if that is your preference ask the staff for menu guidance.

davidmartiste
davidmartiste

Satisfied out of towner

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2008

I happen to be in Northampton this weekend and, after reading some of the negative feedback here, I thought I would relate my pleasant experience. If a restaurant isn't completely vegan, I very much appreciate a knowledgeable, attentive staff which P&E's had. The hummus appetizer looked great and the waitress informed me they could substitute the [non vegan] wheat bread with their [vegan] focaccia. She enlightened me about the vegan choices on the menu and the seitan stir fry dish was delicious and plentiful. My dining companion had a huge noodle dish so, I can't understand where any complaints of small portions would come from. The topper was an amazing, delicious, vegan chocolate mousse cake with raspberry sauce. This place DOES serve fish so, yes, the smell of fish was in the air. As a vegan, I find it pretty disgusting myself but, it was not overwhelming. If I were ever in town again with omnis and vegans, P&E's would be a top choice.

Pros: great portions, knowledgeable staff, delicious food
Cons: [I guess] the fish smell, that happens in omni eateries
Soy NutJob
Soy NutJob

Theres room for improvement

3 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

While the atmosphere and food is lovely (I love the way the make tofy stir fry). The menu itself hasn't really expanded or changed in a couple years, still worth the visit.

Pros: Experienced Chefs, Quick Service, Food is tasty
Cons: Expensive Drinks, no real kids menu, hours kind of suck
will-travel-for-food
will-travel-for-food

I wish I had something good to say!

1 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2008

Paul and Elizabeth's has never really impressed me. I've given it a few tries, and I won't be going back again. The portions are rather small, the prices are a bit high, and the food itself is a bit too bland for my tastes. If you're looking for delicious vegetarian or vegan food, head to Bela's instead!

Cons: food is bland, small portions, kind of pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Paul and Elizabeth's: