Paradis Vegetarien Chi-Ming

Montreal vegetarian restaurant. Asian fusion style of vegetarian deli and vegetarian meals for take away. Also sells frozen vegetarian food. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Fast food, Take-out
4381 St-Denis (Mont-Royal)
Montreal, Quebec H2J 2L2
514-845-7174

Open Tue-Sun 12-9pm. Store open from noon, restaurant from 5pm.

First Review by Misha
raphalla
raphalla

Too much mock meat

3 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

We found the mock meat a bit too intensed, i really prefer to eat vegetable instead of the soy products in the chicken shape. However, i understand that, this is the style of Taiwanese vegetarian food in general. The sauce was not inspiring and overall, i found the food really so so. My husband called this restaurant "chicken shop", we had been there twice and the last time, we ordered something chicken and it came with in the shape of chopped chicken thigh. Service was really good though. You have to go up through the stair case, so it is not baby pram friendly even though they do have high chair for children. In consider to the other really good reviews here, i think, i would give the place another try. May be we were really just missing out something!

Pros: Location
Cons: Food, Price, Not pram friendly
Vegannibal
Vegannibal

Wonderful.

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2011

The restaurant and the owners are vegan, and extremely friendly. Perfect service. He even had some copies of the Earthlings DVD the last time I was there, which made my day.

I've eaten there a number of times now, trying different dishes every time. It's all been great, especially the mushroom chicken. I'm not even someone who usually cares for mock meats, but this was just delicious!!

I'm writing this review because I feel like such a place with delicious food and good portions, and a warm wonderful person running it deserves to get noticed.

I took my mother here when she was visiting. She was impressed and she is not vegan or vegetarian. She wants to go back when she comes to town and tells friends about it.

The frozen section is also great. I'm addicted to the veggie unagi/bbq eel. I had missed that flavor after going vegan and was happy to find the awesome textured veg version!

It's a very casual place, so it's not for a fancy dinner date. Unless your date is also cool with casual places and open to different flavors and textures. For me, I love casual little restaurants and it's clean and warm and just right to enjoy my meal.

Pros: yummy vegan food, amazing staff both in service and intent, frozen and dried food section
Cons: not open enough hours!
Begonia
Begonia

Enjoyed it very much

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2010

I didn't find it expensive for the quality of the food. The restaurant which seems to be entirely vegan is wonderful, no need to worry about what contains what. The decor is not fancy, but it is very clean and bright. I had the "fish" soup, Vietnamese rolls, steamed buns plus a rice dish with vegetables and mock meat. All very good. One thing though: The restaurant is open only from 5 p.m. onwards, it would be a lot more convenient for some of us at least if it was open from noon onwards. The staff is very polite, friendly and helpful. I hope to go back and try other items on menu, but the late opening time for me is a definate drawback.

Pros: Polite friendly staff, Delicious food , Great vegan choice
Cons: Open only from 5 p.m. onwards
  • Begonia Begonia

It is important to note that the store is open from noon onwards, the restaurant from 5 p.m onwards.

PlanetEarth
PlanetEarth

Take-out

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2008

The small size of the restaurant makes me think it mainly would like to promote the mock meats by offering sample dinners. A little expensive, but worth trying at least once. Friendly owners from Taiwan.

Pros: small
Cons: small
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Kinda lame

2 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2008

When I first saw the sign to this restaurant, just 1 block from my house, I had renewed hope in a good vegan restaurant in Montreal. They were sadly dashed after my first visit however.

If you are a huge fan of Chu Chai, the fancy vegetarian restaurant two blocks down, you might like this place as a source of variety. However, the fake meats they use here are the standard frozen fake meats you can buy at healthfood stores, not that this is a necessarily a bad thing but they are easily recognizable which detracted from my meal for me. Other than this, Chu Chai and Paradis Vegetarien are very similar, minus the nice ambience at Chu Chai (ie. don't take a date here, take them to Chu Chai).

The main reason for my disappointment, however, was the inflated price. Dishes were around $15 each and were not particularly large portions. They weren't bad but were certainly not very impressive. Two of us spent just over $43, had a mediocre meal, and went to eat more food somewhere else afterward.

I welcome anyone who wants to start a veggie restaurant in this city but Paradis Vegetarien just tries to copy Chu Chai but with no ambience and higher prices.

Pros: mostly vegan
Cons: overpriced, mediocre food, cafeteria ambience
Misha
Misha

must-try!!!

4 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2008

First off, I'm a really picky vegan. The staff here is amazingly friendly. The restaurant is bright, welcoming, and clean. The food is awesome, great flavor and texture balances, and a ginormous vegan menu. You don't have to worry and ask "is there milk in this, or egg in that...". There is also a separate frozen section at the back, with a vide variety of veggie meats. And for non-soyhappy vegans like me, there is non-soy non-gluten non-GMO veggie eel that tastes incredible!!! You can buy it in the package, take it home, add it to whatever you like or eat it on it's own. I've also tried these incredible shitaky mushrooms made jerky-style. I have NEVER tasted anything like that before in my life. The combination of spices on them are INCREDIBLE. Meals are about 10 dollars, but the quality of both food and service far surpasses the price. I look really hard for a good vegan place to eat and so far this is my favorite spot in Montreal. And again, I am VERY picky. Although it might take second place if I find a really good raw restaurant...

p.s. it only let me give it 4 cows but I wanted to rate it 5!!! the site said that the reason is that it's not a vegetarian restaurant. OMG IT'S A VEGAN RESTAURANT!!! if a site mod reads this, please change that...

Pros: quality and variety, staff, location
  • Misha Misha

oops, I know shitake is spelled shitake, not shitaky. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, lol.

Dear Owner and Manager of Paradis Vegetarien Chi-Ming: