Papa G's Vegan Organic Deli

Hot entree bar, house made salad dressings, cashew yogurt, coconut keifer, salad bar, grab and go. Has wifi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, International, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
2314 SE Division St (23rd)
Portland, Oregon 97202
503 2350244

Open Mon-Sat 11am-8pm, Sun 12-7pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by savedgurl
sglcklch
sglcklch

Loved this place

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

This is a casual place with basic décor that serves up cafeteria-style dishes, but the food is pure awesome. Everything is vegan and organic. Selection is extensive for the restaurant size. They even have homemade coconut-blueberry kefir and kombucha on tap!

My partner and I came for dinner and ordered the curry plate and the harvest plate off the specials to share. They were well-seasoned, nutritionally balanced, and simply delicious. I especially remember how silky smooth the mashed sweet potato was (or "smash" as they called it). I also got the homemade coconut kefir with crushed blueberries in it (I just had to try it). It was the real deal—so very nice and refreshing—especially after a long hot day of exploring around town.

I think we paid a little more than $30 total, which was quite reasonable considering the food quality and the generous portions. It was a gratifying meal; both of us enjoyed it a lot. Portlanders are so lucky!

Pros: vegan & organic everything, delicious healthy food, extensive selection
pEva
pEva

Best Vegan Place on Earth

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

My husband and I LOVED this place so much! Best tasting vegan food! We got amazing service by the owner. He is so passionate about the food. The variety and quality of the food is amazing! Everything is organic and non-gmo. The prices are very fair too. This is our favourite Vegan restaurant. We will absolutely be back here next time we visit Portland.

phyl
phyl
  • raw

LOVE IT!

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

Pappa G's is a small deli with a big heart, and an excellent menu! LOVE THAT THEY HAVE RAW CHOICES! The sunflower seed cheese sandwiches are delicious, as is their zucchini pesto side. The raw fudge cookies are decadent! They have a nice selection of organic and local beer, plus some lovely teas. Yes, you may have to wait - it's a small place and only one or two people work there - but it is worth the wait! And the servers/chefs are friendly and knowledgable. We will be returning to Pappa G's many, many times. See you there!

Pros: awesome food, raw choices, great service
Juliett_Oscar
Juliett_Oscar

Expect to wait for some darn tasty food

4 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2013

I don't mind waiting for a good meal, but be prepared that you may have to wait to place your order and wait for your food. If you are in a rush, this may not be a good choice. However, they are really nice here and good at explaining the variety of menu options. There are several tables inside and a few picnic tables outside shaded by a couple pots of bamboo. BBQ tofu and mac 'n cheeze plate was delicious. My non-vegan dining companion said the curry plate was the best. It's so relaxing to order from a completely vegan menu, and not have to explain yourself or ask for modifications. Let yourself relax here! ps - check out the rad bike shop next door, too.

Pros: All vegan tofu and tempeh deliciousness
Cons: can be a wait
twovegans
twovegans

Casual place for a quick bite

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

This is a relatively small vegan restaurant with a deli counter and indoor and outdoor seating. We stopped in for a quick bite but didn’t want to eat too much since we had a big dinner planned. They have a salad bar, hot items and some raw options. For dessert, we indulged in vegan fudge.

Pros: All vegan, Organic, Some raw
spiffysavannah
spiffysavannah

Definitely going back!

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2013

First time there, I was so overwhelmed by the menu because everything sounded amazing! I decided to go with something simple- TLT- tempeh, lettuce, and tomato on cracked wheat. It was fantastic! Looking forward to going there again!

Pros: tasty, vegan, organic
Cons: pricey for lunch
AMT
AMT

Amazing food!

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

Wow! Ate here on a trip with my husband to Oregon, and let's just say that Papa G's is reason enough for us to consider moving out of Nevada!

Delicious, fresh vegan food ~ very, very nice owner; don't pass this place up!

Pros: Awesome food, Cozy environment, Informative flyers near tables
Cons: No Las Vegas location
Married2veganmike
Married2veganmike

5 Stars!

3 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

As a meat eater married to a Vegan I enjoy trying new places and dishes with my wife and her awesomely fantastic yummy diet. Papa G's is tip top and oh so tasty. The food is delicious, a very laid back relaxing environment and the perfect size portions that fill your belly with quality as well as quantity. 5 stars.

Pros: quality, quantity , tasty
Cons: none
eirefox
eirefox

Great Service / Smaller Portions / Bigger Price

3 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

The food was organic and healthy, but for the price you pay I didn't feel that it was a good deal. The portions are small.
The cook was wonderful. He was friendly and informative.

Pros: Clean, Friendly Cook / Server, Healthy
Cons: Small Portions, Higher Cost
KCashatt
KCashatt

The best!

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2013

LOVE this place - for a seasoned vegan the tempeh and tofu is how it is supposed to taste. LOVE the salad bar. BBQ tofu sand is really yummy, so is the reuben and "BLT"! LOVE their hibiscus drink. Green Curry special was the bomb - loved the chutney! People are SOOOO nice and helpful - happy, the way vegans are supposed to be.

Pros: decent price, nice servers and staff, good selection of items
Cons: about 30 minutes from me
lisatcha
lisatcha

Very Good Selection of Beer

3 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2012

Appreciated the great service and the vegan taco was very good. Extra yummy hot sauce near the check-out. New to truly vegan choices so the hexadog was a little off putting and the mac and cheese tasted like mac and chicken stock. Tried it as we are newly lactose intolerant. Next time, I'll try the curry noodle salad in the case - it looked yummy.

Pros: nice dude behind the counter, good beer selection, tacos are good
Cons: hexa-dog?, mac-n-chick?, but the beer is good!!!!!
VintageVariety
VintageVariety

Good food

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2012

Tasty, organic, sustainable vegan food at a fair price. Need I say more?

Pros: food
Cons: that it is not in Hillsboro
NickBolen
NickBolen

Oh My...

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2012

Must try their Southern BBQ platter! Awesome BBQ sauce, the texture of the tofu was very appealing. Mac and no cheese was bomb!

Pros: everything, nada
VgnPwr
VgnPwr

FEELIN' IT

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

This place has great food! We go here whenever we visit Portland. The mashed yams and gravy are oh so good and the reuben sandwich is killer! The guys are really nice too. Man, so refreshing to have real genuine nice people greet you at a vegan spot. Nothing worse than being super excited to eat at a new vegan spot and have rude a** people working. Thanks papa G, you guys are great.

Pros: nice people, vegan, raw friendly
seachelseashore
seachelseashore

Great menu! Always great food.

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2011

Papa G's is one of my favorite places to go. They have a large salad bar with their own tofu and all sorts of things to add in. My favorite is probably the reuben, and I absolutely love going there on Tuesdays for their taco tuesday special! I buy their taco tofu but getting their tacos is even better. Highly recommended!

Pros: nice atmosphere, outdoor seating, all organic
Phizzi
Phizzi

Good Selection, but not truly unique

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2011

This cafeteria style eatery has a lot of tasty options, and a nice atmosphere. Papa G's also has a commitment to the environment, and uses a lot of low impact/recycled/reclaimed building materials at their location. The food is consistently good and represents a good set of choices but can be a little too consistent with meat and cheese parody dishes, and sometimes fails to branch out into the truly unique realm that the best vegan food explores. As a result, Papa G's ends up a little too close to the "health food taste" that many outsiders have trouble growing to love, and will probably appeal more to seasoned seekers of alternative protein than those who are still getting comfortable with giving up meat. Still, with their wide selection, comfortable seating, and friendly service this place is worth checking out.

Pros: Selection, Price, Casual
Cons: Sometimes Bland
Took
Took

Good Vegan Food

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2011

Well, I like this place. Everything is organic, the food is relatively healthy and the atmosphere reminds me of a food co-op...which is a good thing. I had the curry plate with both the mash (sweet yams and coconut milk) and greens (cooked with coconut milk). The not-so-spicy curry was on a bed of brown rice. I ended up dividing the plate into two meals, because it was a bit heavy. I would go back though...for the salad bar and just to try a few other things on the menu.

Pros: organic, tasty, friendly service
veganburger5
veganburger5

Yummy

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2011

The food here is SOOO good, have sampled lots of different things, all unbelievably good. Smells great, awesome servers. Great place.

celynki
celynki

Great Vegan Deli

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

I like this place a lot. The food is very good, the selection is great, the atmosphere is really laid back, and the staff are super nice. Recommended.

Pros: All vegan, Super nice staff, Great selection
Cons: It can take a little while
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Terrific

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2009

I was in Portland for a week, and ate at this place on my way out. I had all 4 of the soups that they offered that day, and they were all great. I also had another dish out of the deli and it was great. The salad bar also looked but I can only do so much at one sitting.

Mighty Vegan
Mighty Vegan

I love this place!

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2009

My husband and I ate at Papa G's this past Saturday. We were so overwhelmed by all the amazing smelling and looking options. To name a few of the options there is a full salad bar, a variety of soups that you can taste before you buy them, a variety of hot foods and raw foods. We both went with the hot food platter. I am not sure of the exact name. You get to pick 2 out of 6 of their dishes, it comes with veggies, and either mashed potatoes or rice and beans. It was a very large platter of the most delicious food.

Pros: so many healthy delicious options, reasonably priced, outdoor and indoor seating area
Cons: casual dining
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
  • non-vegetarian

Great new changes at Papa G's!

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2009

First I have to say that any bad reviews prior to May 2009 should be ignored because Papa G's has addressed a lot of the issues that people complained about. People said their prices were too high-- and although I disagreed based on the fact that Papa G's is not only 100% organic (unlike lots of places in town that say they're organic but are really only partially organic allowing them to keep their prices lower) but Papa G's is also dedicated to sustainable business practices and uses locally grown food too. But I digress... Papa G's listened to their critics and introduced lower priced daily specials and have just recently vastly increased their offerings with an awesome new sandwich menu containing many reasonably priced options.

You can get an amazing tempeh/amaranth burger or vegan reuben for under $8.00-- and Papa G's has improved the bread used for the reuben and both sandwiches have a great combination of flavors and textures.

You can even get a 100% organic chili dog with Papa G's own home-made chili-- for only $4! Or bring your kids and get a tofu dog sans chili for $3! I think those are great prices for a restaurant!

Their new $7 burrito is so substantial that when I stopped in the deli at 4pm not having eaten all day-- I couldn't quite finish the burrito. I did order a side of avocado and their nacho cheese sauce for it though-- and I highly recommend the cheese sauce, whether you pour it over the burrito or order their generous plate of nachos-- it's hard to believe it's vegan and the woman working at the deli tells me that the owner makes the cheese sauce himself.

I think any new restaurant/deli takes a while to really dial in, and I applaud Papa G's for listening to the criticisms of their clients and addressing them. So if you're one of the people who had a less-than-pleasant experience there, give them another chance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Pros: healthiest fast food in town!, all organic & local too!, they compost everything-- no trash can!
adamdcoleman
adamdcoleman

Awesome New Burgers At Papa G's Vegan Deli

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

I went into Papa G's earlier today, (on SE Division St) I Ordered one of the new Tempe Burgers and after one bite I was blown away. It was so delicious that I had to remind myself it was a vegan burger! (and I am NO vegan!) After a couple weeks on vacation in my small hometown in Upstate NY, where the pickings are slim for good healthy food on the go.

I walked in and ordered from the polite employee and watched her make my burger . Within only a minute or two she handed me the sandwich with a side of chips. I also tried the Nachos. I was instantly hooked after the first bite of each. I'm looking forward to my next meal there. Which will most likely be tomorrow!

Pros: 3x Expanded Menu, Delicious 100% Vegan, Local and Friendly
Ulysses47
Ulysses47

Best I've Had!

5 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2009

I LOVE PAPA G's! This place is amazing. They have by far the best salad bar in town, with fresh and local veggies and dressings, many options of hot food that won't leave you wanting for variety and many drinks and desserts. Their to-go materials are all compostable, and inside I only saw one small trash can. The people who work there are all helpful and polite and the atmosphere is relaxing and pleasant. I would recommend this place to anyone who likes food.

organic bob
organic bob

Cheap All Organic Deli

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2009

I eat at Papa G's Organic Deli at least a couple of times a week (I am actually writing a review based on actually eating there,unlike some reviews that I've seen) I really love their curry bowl as well as their vegan Mac and Cheese. Papa G's goes out of their way to support local farmers and all of their ingredients are organic, even their oils, nuts, and spices. Try asking other restaurants what or how much of their ingredients is organic and you may soon find out the difference, as well as why their "organic food" is so much cheaper. Papa G's composts everything, they don't even have a trash can in their lobby. As well as their great hot food I often enjoy their house made pesto pizza rolls, their 4 daily soup choices, their all organic salad bar, and their biscuits and gravy. The salad bar is the best in town, all salad dressings are house made. They also seem to specialize in a lot of gluten free items and raw food. Their food is all thoroughly labeled for people with food allergies. I also like to enjoy their desserts. Their gluten free cupcakes are divine, and sometimes a beverage from their giant drink cases cools me off. I really love their keifer and cashew yogurt that they make themselves too. With lots of plate and bowl specials, and tons of options I really enjoy the freedom that Papa G's gives me. I can order by the pound or just get a plate if I'm working on a limited budget. Although the service is sometimes a little sluggish I find that once engaged they are friendly and I can grab a healthy bite when I'm on the run. In today's busy world that is not always a easy thing to do. I get a little confused by some of these bad reviews. It just seems like they are giving the place bad reviews without even eating there. I know there is a lot still to learn in the world but I also know that at Papa G's you get what you pay for every time. Consistent great tasting food that is both healthy and ready to go. $5 for a bowl of mac is cheap! I also really love bringing my family here because we don't have to sit around and wait large amounts of time for our food. It is great to have a grab and go organic vegan deli that helps us get through many a night of dinner on the fly! They also seem to do catering. I really appreciate what Papa G's is offering and I hope that they keep up the good work! Pay now and enjoy the food or pay later and suffer the clean up of our environment, our bodies, and our children's futures! Viva Papa G's!

Pros: all organic, sustainably minded, awesome salad bar
Cons: no sandwiches
superwoman
superwoman

Too expensive and unhealthy

2 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2009

The food was far overpriced! It was also really heavy and unhealthy, places like these give vegans a bad name.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: unhealthy, too expensive
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

tasty food and good variety

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2009

Now open seven days a week, 11 am - 10 pm. Daily menu is on the website. Big selection of entrees and sides, two soups, salad bar, deli salads, etc. All tasty. Some dishes at beginning of the day haven't been warmed up enough. Great knowing all is organic, not to mention vegan.

Pros: all vegan and organic, their tofu bites
mypiehole
mypiehole

Always Fast, Always Good, Always Organic

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2008

Since I started using Papa G's as my fast food joint my life has gotten better. I have lost weight, I have more energy, and I even feel better about my personal footprints on this planet. I read these bad reviews and it makes me feel sad. Sad that they don't in anyway match my experiences with the place and I have eaten at Papa G's at least fifty times.

Yes, the prices have gone up and the portions have gone down. But so has the price of every single thing on every single shelf in every single supermarket in America. Or it sometimes feels like that anyway.

I have never found Papa G's to be dirty and have often found parents allowing their children to play on its floors. I have lived in Portland long enough to know that dreadlocked people do, in fact, bathe.

I'm not vegan, but I appreciate the chance to be 3 or 4 times a week. I like that on a cold day I can choose from four always hot, always delicious vegan organic soups. I love that there is always some new hot entree to try and that the deli case has some truly neat offerings too. And a fully stocked all organic salad bar. There is just a ton of good stuff to try at Papa G's all the time.

But you shouldn't forget that it is a deli and not a full-on restaurant. I know you that don't forget it when it comes time to tip. I appreciate that I don't have to wait on or deal with wait staff.

I think those that gripe about prices and portions and other nonsense are missing the point about this place and might just be missing other things that are going on around them.

I have spoken to the owners and I know they want to provide good, healthy, fast 100% all-organic vegan food. They want to be an asset to our community and I think they highly achieve that. I have seen them hire local musicians every Sunday and offer free music to our neighborhood and their clientele. I know that they offer free hi speed wifi. I very much appreciate both of these things. And finally, I know that no one is getting rich over there. I just wish more businesses were as cool, as easy to patronize, and as delicious as this one.

PDXVeganFamily
PDXVeganFamily

Not Impressed

2 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2008

As a Portland Vegan my family and I love finding vegan new vegan products, and are even more thrilled when they are local. We were so happy a few years back at the Portland VegFest we were introduced to Papa Gs Tofu. It was so good, we would often buy it at the store, and then when they opened their deli on Division my husband and I were so excited to try it.

We live on the West side of Portland, so one day when we were in South East Portland at our favorite store (FOOD FIGHT Grocery)we figured we would stop and grab a bite to eat. When we walked in we were surprised by the lack of cleanliness and the unresponsive staff. We stood there for at least 2 minutes before staff said anything to us. After looking the prices over and seeing the person making our food (looking like she hadn't bathed in a few weeks) we decided to get a bottled drink and go back to Food FIght for their self serve nachos...

Really a bummer that the place was so dingy/dirty looking and the staff didn't have a friendly, outgoing personality. Maybe it was just the timing we had and usually they are great, but it is too bad this was our first impression.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Off Street Parking, Yummy
Cons: Cleanliness, Staff, Prices
  • bizarro bizarro

Since you took the time to write this I will trust this is your honest opinion. But from where I am, I think it is an unfair example. I go to Papa G's at least once a week and have never had unfriendly service and this is one of the cleanest restaurants I have ever been in, staff included. If the they read your review I think they will truly be hurt by what you said.

Eddie
Eddie

unfortunately a turn for the worse in prices

2 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2008

BUMMER!
I had given this place a 5 star review, but I felt the need to delete it and write this new one.
This used to be my staple place to take friends out to eat because it was reasonably priced. But almost overnight the prices shot up, and the serving sizes shrank. The food is great, but I can no longer afford to eat there, and that really bums me out. The last few times I went in I spent over $20 and I was still hungry when I left. When they first opened I used to fill up for less than $10.

Pros: good food, variety, friendly staff
Cons: too expensive, serving sizes shrank
Humanicide
Humanicide

Ok

3 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2008

This place filled me up, which was great. But my dish lacked variety. That could possibly be my fault, but i thought it was a little expensive for getting just 2 things, one of which was cold.

Pros: fast
Cons: expensive
naturalmama
naturalmama

Yummy but $$

3 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2008

I love Papa G's for being convenient and having great vegan food. Unfortunately, their prices seem to have gone up since they moved, and I usually can't justify spending so much on one meal. It's hard to pay $10/lb at the salad bar-- thats $2 more than Whole Foods! If money's not a thing though they're great. Check out the baked goods too.

Pros: great food, friendly people
Cons: expensive
mute-Ade
mute-Ade

Heavenly Tofu

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2008

The food at Papa G's is second-to-none in quality and taste. Their signature creation, Papa G's Tofu, is unbeatable. A very eco-conscious place--the building itself is constructed of recycled materials and the unused food is turned into compost. The only drawback is the weird pricing scheme. For example, I ordered a plate with 2 entrés and 2 sides. I asked for the "peanut sauce," because it looked delicious, and then when I began considering my second side, I was told that the rice which the peanut sauce is served over counted as a side... what the? Also, the beverages are INSANELY priced--bring your own!!! But of course the food is the main attraction, and here Papa G's shines. If it weren't for the wacky pricing, I'd give 5 Happy Cows.

Pros: Delicious, Eco-friendly
Cons: Weird pricing, "2" sides become "1"
justhefacts
justhefacts

Someone Finally Got it Right

5 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2008

I was happy to see Papa G's had opened up their own deli on Division. When the Daily Grind closed I did not view it as a major loss. Who cares if there was one less half stocked, rude staffed, over priced weiners in a can health food store. What I really missed was Papa G's. Visiting their new location this evening was a bright spot and I plan to patronize this prize many more times to come. Where else can you get tasty vittles (minus the sudo-gourmet edge) with smiles and a thank you in this town?

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Service, Reasonable Prices
Cons: NONE
Veghead74
Veghead74

yummy fast food

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2008

We sampled several of their hot food items and everything was perfectly seasoned and yummy. I especially liked their nut loaf. We topped dinner off with a delicious brownie. This is vegan fast food that doesn't taste fast.

Pros: yummy food, good variety, friendly staff
savedgurl
savedgurl

Vegan Heaven

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2008

I love the food here. It is served with love. Down to earth folks, just servin' it up vegan style. They have hot food bar and a lovely salad bar. It is organic and the coffee is good to me.
See ya in line:)

Pros: Organic, Healthy food, Yummmmmmmy

Dear Owner and Manager of Papa G's Vegan Organic Deli: