Panthere Verte - Centre-Ville

Laid back cafe in downtown Montreal offering sandwiches, soups, smoothies, and salads as well as raw food and energy boosters and healthier desserts. A few locations. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, Canadian, Raw, Take-out
2153 MacKay Street (downtown)
Montreal, Quebec H3G 2J2
514-903-4744

Open Mon-Fri 11am-10pm, Sat 11am-9pm, Sun 11am-7pm.

First Review by D and D
Vegan_ista
Vegan_ista

Disappointed..

2 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2013

I am a crazy falafel lover. I wanted to try for a very long time the Panthere Verte's falafel, and I finally did it...but was really disappointed. The pita was wet, the falafel balls really dry and overall the flavour was poor...

Cons: Small portions, Flavourless , Soggy sandwich
Babette
Babette

Healthy organic vegan food

5 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2013

This is the second location opened by La Panthère verte. It is quite bigger than the Mile-End location and the setting is very nice.

The food is good and healthy. I am particularly fond of the desserts (most particularly the brownies, the tiramisu and the pecan tart) and sandwichs come in thick fresh pitas (I like the tempeh sandwich the best, but if you haven't overdosed on falafel sandwiches yet, you should definitely try theirs).

Pros: Nice vice, Tasty food, Organic
mars
mars

Cute, neighborhood cafe

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2013

This is a great place tucked away under a set of stairs. The foods are simple and clean. We had two sandwiches - Tempehtation and BBQ. They were fine, although not with any real spice. The cookies were great. We had two soups that were FAB.

Here's the take out deal with soup, they give you a glass, jam jar, charge to use it and rebate the charge when you bring it back.

VERY eco-friendly. Smoothies basic, but flavorful. Coffee and teas available Beers available.

The staff was very friendly and spoke english as well as french. Your orders come out very quickly. There is seating available, about 15-20 seats.

I wish this was in my hometown.

Pros: All Vegan, Clean food, Friendly staff
Cons: Small, Not for major dinner.
Ilovecows
Ilovecows

Nice Falafel sandwiches

4 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2013

This is a very small restaurant and usually quite crowded.
I like to go there for take out whenever I am downtown.
The Falafel sandwiches are really good.
There are few other things I would like to try in the future.
Since I am not a big eater, the small size is perfect for me and the price is quite reasonable.
It is great that the downtown is coming up with more Vegetarian options.

Pros: Cheap, Good location
Cons: small, crowded
BaloneySlap
BaloneySlap

Super restaurant/great prices!

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

I love the Panther Verte! I love this location better than the one on St Viateur as it's bigger and has a cute window cushion seating spot. THe sandwiches are delicious! And I love the variety. I've been there multiple times and have not even tried them all. They also make delicious desserts! I looooove their Tiramisu and cookies!

Pros: Desserts!, Large portions, Cool ambiance
Cons: often busy/wait time

Stevie
Stevie

Panthere Verte - MacKay, Montreal

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

The 1st thing is that it is literally next door to Crudessence which is also 100% vegan so you could take a look at both and take your pick.

I wasn't sure what to have so I asked the guy named Jordan for a recommendation. I usually am not the most enthusiastic salad eater but when I seen what was being dishes up I was more than happy to give that a blast. It was very nice. No complaints at all re food quality, service nor setting.

Pros: All vegan, Good food
heywood100
heywood100

Nice place, but so-so sandwiches

3 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2013

Not too far from McGill Uni, Panthere Verte had a good selection of pitta-based sandwiches and the various other drinks and cakes that one expects of a bakery, along with friendly and sociable staff. The sandwich was...well, it was fine. It wasn't amazing, it was perhaps a little blander than necessary, but it was cheap and filling.

They also sell beer, which is a plus point in my book, although they had a bit of difficulty working out which one was on discount, until eventually deciding that none of them were...

VBarryLyndon
VBarryLyndon

panthere verte/ green panther review

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2013

We found parking easy on a Saturday late afternoon. The selection is not large, but it all sounded delicious. Lots of sandwiches and salad, smoothies and teas. If you don't want bread, they will sub it with the insides of the sandwich for basmati type rice.

The staff was VERY friendly and warm.

There are about 10 or so tables, don't quote me on that. one table by the window is sort of Middle Eastern style, and you can lie instead of sitting straight up. Very cute.

The food is not fancy, but it is GOOD. The prices are reasonable.

They have desserts that look good.

Stop in when you are hungry!

Right next door to this place was another vegan restaurant which looked like the upscale sister restaurant to the green panther. I would like to try that one for dinner.

Pros: quick, pretty darn tasty food, very friendly staff.
Cons: kind of small portions.
martina1988
martina1988

Tasty food and healthy

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2013

Went there in April 2012 and i really enjoyed it !
The food is healthy, tha place very nice and the staff friendly. If I ever go back to Montreal I'll eat there again !

Pros: Healthy, Friendly staff, Nice place
Cons: Not really cheap
vegan frog
vegan frog

Amazing falafels

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

La panthere verte on McKay is next door to Concordia University and not far from McGill so naturally, it has a very studenty feel. It is a bit of a hippy cafe and we went there for lunch 3 times and the food was consistently fresh and delicious. Do not miss their absolutely delicious falafel pita bread, they are possibly the best I have ever had.
Also if the place is packed (which it is at lunchtime), you can always go right next door to Crudessence.

Pros: Downtown location, Great falafels, All vegan
Cons: Small
heuschrecke
heuschrecke

Healthy and Delicious

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2012

I went there with my non-vegan and sceptical friend. We both had a sandwich, which was delicious - even my friend loved it. The cookies were even better, the staff was friendly, and the atmosphere nice.

Pros: very good food, nice atmosphere
Begonia
Begonia

"Noonday special" expensive

3 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

I had their "daily special" which was misleading. The "special" consisted of a plate with tempeh stew, white rice and a salad. It was ten dollars, not including sales tax. If I wanted anything else, say a bowl of soup, a coffee or even just a slice of bread, I would have had to pay extra. If I go there again, I will have the combo falafel plus soup & beverage: more mileage for the same price. I was also disappointed that they served white rice instead of brown, and left the place feeling a little cheated. On the plus side, the food was tasty, the ingredients fresh, organic and entirely vegan. Service was fast, but I arrived before the noonday rush hour.

Pros: Entirely vegan, Fresh, organic ingredients, Nice decor
Cons: "Daily special" misleading and expensive, No menu du jour at fixed price
raphalla
raphalla

Excellent Food

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2011

We went there in a Saturday around 1.30pm. The restaurant was pretty quiet. But after we got sitted and ordered, suddenly there were 3 different groups of around 10 people came into the restaurant! It works as: You just order the food with the staff at the counter and pay. When the food are readied, the staff will call your name and you pick up your food at the counter. The restaurant is well decorated and way much more spacious than the one at Mile End. The staff speak both French and English and knowledgable to the food they serve. i had the special du jour: aubergine in peanut & tomato sauce with rice, a small salad and a santa cruz organic juice, at 10 dollars. The aubergine dish was excellent, even my husband who normally doesnt like aubergine said so. My husband had tempeh burger, equally well done. The coffee was good enough too. However, we did not have dessert as they looked too 'normal', like those that i could make myself easily at home. The down side was, they did not have high chair for children. So bring your own boaster chair if you have a little one.

Pros: Food, Location, Atmosphere
Cons: No high chair
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Good, filling, healthy food

4 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2010

I dropped in to Montreal's latest Panthere Verte - ideally located, essentially, on the downtown Concordia campus and right next to le Frigo Vert and a couple of other vegetarian restaurants. Panthere Verte is a good choice, along with those in the neighbourhood.

I went soon after they had opened this new location and were offering a 2-for-1 promotion on falafels! Very tasty!

Along with sandwiches/wraps, salads and a raw item or two, they serve home baked treats and if the vegan chocolate chip cookies were anything to go by, whoever is baking for them has a knack for it!

The interior is a pretty good size with beautiful wood chairs - things of beauty, they are. There is also an elevated widow seat looking out onto MacKay street from below (Panthere Vert is down a very short flight of stairs from street level) where 2-4 people can squeeze in and sit at a low table on pillows - I'll go back to try that someday!

Prices are reasonable but not exactly cheap.

All in all, this is another fine addition to a city (and two block radius of the city) that is quickly becoming more vegan friendly. Try it.

Pros: Good food, Nice staff, Nice layout and decor
Cons: Selection limited
D and D
D and D

A Vegan Treat

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2010

The food was unusual and delicious. The space is small and very personal, we loved the atmosphere. Everything was vegan including the deserts. Great rapport with the staff on our first visit. Can't wait to go back.

Pros: excellent food, good portion size, friendly staff
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Panthere Verte - Centre-Ville: