Serves meat, veg options available. Formerly all veg but no longer, as reported to HC. Still caters to vegetarians and offers some veg food in their weekday lunch buffet, plus a vegan dinner buffet on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Buffet, Take-out, Non-veg
948 W Grace St (Harrison)
Richmond, Virginia 23220
804-359-6688

Open Mon-Thur 11:30am-10:30pm, Fri-Sun 11:30am-11pm.

First Review by noah
pentagoth79
pentagoth79

Fast veggie food

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

Really good food. Don't go for a healthy meal because it's a lot of greasy and sugary food. Not to say that it doesn't taste really good and fast.
I've had the fried and steamed wontons and the steamed was much better. The orange "chicken" was really good.
They have a lunch buffet where you can try many different things.

Pros: Yummy, Fast, Vegetarian/vegan
Cons: Greasy
Kangarupe
Kangarupe

May as well try it before they close.

3 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2010

As an out of state visiting Vegan newbie to Richmond, my friend took me to "Panda Veg" 2 years ago. I was blown away. I had never tasted mock beef quite so delicious.

The following year I returned and had the shrimp...eh, not so great. But the texture was amazing, I didn't know you could make something that wasn't shrimp feel so much like shrimp.

One year later (today), I returned to the restaurant, only to be informed that it had changed it's name to Panda Garden. As another reviewer has noted, they now serve meat as well, I was disappointed. I asked the guy why they served meat now, and he said they had to start serving meat to stay in business. I don't really know how adding meat to the only completely 100% vegan place in Richmond (Harrison St. Cafe has cheese) helps you save your business. I would have thought it would do nothing but turn the clientele away.

I ordered the sesame chicken today and quite frankly, it was garbage. It was chewy and did not resemble chicken in any way shape or form. Now this isn't a huge problem, I don't really care if it tastes exactly like chicken but that's what it's marketing itself as. I just care if it tastes good, which it didn't. I will give it up for the mock ham fried rice though, it was excellent as always.

I don't predict Panda Garden will be in business for much longer. I could be wrong though, who knows. They still do have a very large selection of Vegan items, but as others have noted, is just junky food. Check it out. But if a Vegan place can't survive in Richmond, VA...I don't know where it can.

p.s. Dude definitely shorted me a spring roll in my lunch special today, bastard. ;) haha

Pros: Large selection of Vegan items, Quick food
Cons: Atmosphere, New meat additions, No portion options
drashkeev
drashkeev

NO LONGER FULLY VEGAN but old menu available

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2010

I was a big fan of this place back when it was all-vegan, so I was dismayed when I learned it no longer was. I have eaten a few times since then, and I can assure everyone that all the old vegan dishes are still available. Make sure you ask for the vegan menu when you go, and they will make sure everything is vegan. The Sunday dinner buffet is still all-vegan, and all-delicious, but be sure to check.

I asked the owners why they made the decision to serve meat. The answer was that they were having trouble staying open as they weren't getting enough business. The mock beef and mock chicken are delicious, flavorful, and with meat-like texture, so the restaurant is still well-worth patronizing for the vegan with a craving for greasy Chinese food.

Pros: Delicious food, Satisfies cravings for meat
Cons: They serve meat, make sure to specify, Service can be slow

allerson michele
allerson michele
  • raw

It's a little unkept, to say the least.

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2009

I must say, I was a bit uneasy when I got there. It didn't look to be the best running place, but I gave it a shot anyways. The food was great! Horrible for you, most certainly, but still amazing! Would probably eat there again.

Pros: Tasty food, Great prices
Cons: Unclean
Dave-a-roni
Dave-a-roni

Yummy!

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2009

This was my 1st visit to an all vegan Chinese joint, and I must say that I was upset that I didn't have enough money to try everything on the menu. The service was great, the people were really friendly.

I picked mock scallops, mock crab rangoon, and mock beef & broccoli... and the food was incredible! It was greezy, as expected, but damn delicious! I highly recommend!
I didn't buy the buffet, which was there, but that looked awesome as well, so maybe next time :-)

vennahalo
vennahalo

Delicious vegan greasy chinese food!

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2009

If you need to eat some seriously delicious greasy Chinese food complete with fake meats and that addictive 'brown sauce', this is the place to go. The best time is when they've got their all you can eat buffet. Just be careful not to binge too much.

Pros: All vegan!, Greasy addictive, YUM!
Cons: a little cramped
Guest
Guest

sometimes you just have to do it.

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2009

There comes a time in every vegetarian and vegans life when you just want to eat some good greasy food. Panda Veg is that place. If your looking for "Health nut, raw vegan cuisine" this isnt where to look. However if you want to eat your ass off and have some wonderful food, then go and try the buffet. Your stomach may be alittle shakey afterwards. But sometimes its nessecary.

Pros: yummy, buffet
Cons: greasy
bullcityveg
bullcityveg

5 minutes off the interstate = yay

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2008

We were gonna try and hit harrison st coffee but found them to be (as always) closed. (what is with their hours?!) Panda Veg was open. The buffet was pretty broad-- 4 mockmeat dishes, spring rolls, vegetables, potatoes, rice, soups, lo mein and dessert.

The mockmeats were a miss for me, but the lo mein, spring rolls and tofu made up for them. Standard american chinese stuff, great, greasy and easy to eat. We didn't order off the menu. They took our credit card.

To speak to the meat issues-- I wouldn't expect meat but I did have a little dairy fear towards their yellow doughnuts.

As far as cleanliness goes, as long as you wait til *after* the meal to go to the bathroom, you'll be okay. It's pretty yucky in the food prep/bathroom area.

Pros: cheap, wide range of foods, location
Cons: kind of dirty, mockmeats are subpar
cookiem
cookiem

Half-step up from Take-out

2 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2008

This place is a convenient location if you're in the vicinity of VCU. However, it is not the best place in terms of atmosphere. They use styrofoam cups, seem to forego accepting credit cards, and, well, it seems a bit unkempt, to put it nicely. The food variety on the menu is rather broad, but the flavors don't seem to have much depth. It's an all-around decent assortment of items, but hard to find lots of different tastes on the menu. It's all mediocre. Portion sizes are generous, so that is satisfying. Get it to go if you can help it, but of course, then you're stuck with a throw-away container. Good to go here if you're hungry and not concerned about atmosphere/environment, don't feel like hassling with credit cards, long lines or non-veg places. However, there is another eatery down the street that is nicer....

Pros: Good portions, Fast
Cons: Atmosphere, Unkempt, Cash only!!
GoatxThrower
GoatxThrower

I'm a fan

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2008

Some people will say it's "hit or miss." I can understand that since it seems like it may not be the healthiest vegetarian-friendly food out in Richmond. However, I always try to make sure I'm in town on the weekends for the buffet. I'm usually satisfied whenever I leave.

Tinavegan
Tinavegan

Not that vegan???

2 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2008

I heard about Panda Veg years ago...2003ish & was an instant fan. I ate there regularly until about a year ago so 2006 early 2007. There was a guy who worked there eating chicken wings across from our table. My husband and I ordered wonton soup...my husbands had a piece of chicken bone in the bottom of the bowl when he had finished the wonton. I am not making this up. I have not eaten there since & was very disappointed because I liked that place a lot. My husband insists that the bone was accidentally in the soup somehow. He eats meat so it was no disappointment to him but for me...a different story. Maybe it was just the employee & maybe he is gone. Just putting it out there for folks to be a little wary.

noah
noah

Cheap vegan food

4 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2007

This place is basically your whole in the wall style Chinese/Japanese food, but its all vegan. And its really cheap. It was hard to order $12 in food, which ended up being three courses. The mango dish was good, but all the food had a salty taste, which is what I would expect from this style of food (cheap fast Chinese/Japanese.) Well worth the money and the visit.

Dear Owner and Manager of Panda Garden: