All vegan grocery and lifestyle store, Panacea offers essential consumer goods and groceries that comprehensively respect animal rights, the environment, and social justice issues at fair prices. It's an eco shopping oasis where you will find vegan groceries in addition to health and beauty products, fair trade clothing and accessories, organic baby products, environmental products and gifts, books and resources. Last day of operation February 26, 2012. more-less
588 Bloor Street West (west of Markham St. exit at Bathurst Subway Station)
Toronto, Ontario M6G 1K4
647-350-3269

First Review by maulydaft
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Great selection

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2011

Panacea carries products before the other health food stores. Owner is very friendly. I also love how this store supports other healthy and vegan businesses. My only complaint is the hours - hard to get here if you work during the day.

Pros: Variety, New products, Friendly
Cons: Hours
VeganJellyBean
VeganJellyBean

Oh So Vegan

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2011

Love this place! It's got everything you need! If you're a local - support this store! If you're visiting, be sure to drop by for all your vegan-y needs.
Two fat vegan thumbs up!

Pros: excellent range, great service, great location
Cons: not open mondays
Ohkamp
Ohkamp

Unique items

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

I won't be buying things like soymilk here because the prices are high (unless I'm feeling generous that day and want to support such a great cause), but I will blow my paycheck on all the unique vegan fare that I can only find at Panacea. Vegan versions of Snickers, Milky Way, and Three Muskateers are a good start. Followed by vegan cheesecake, a wide selection of cheeses, frozen dinners, and ice cream bars. It's great to have a place like this in the city.

Pros: Unique items, Wide selection, Delicious!
Cons: High prices on items supermarkets carry

Ken4057
Ken4057

A NATIONAL TREASURE

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2009

Remember how you always have to check food ingredient labels to see whether something was vegan? I did that instinctively the first few times I came to Panacea. But everything is vegan and there's no need! It was a very strange and wonderful feeling, like being an omni consumer again where I don't worry about that stuff.

The owner and staff are the sweetest cats in the world, and are very knowledgeable and helpful.

You can get everything from natural deodorant to diapers to gummi bears to orange ice cream bars. It's huge and the selection keeps growing all the time!

There's a little piece of vegan heaven set aside for the owner of this place.

Pros: all vegan!!!, great pricing, super friendly
Cons: none at all
waternoke
waternoke

Yummy vegan chocolate!!!

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2009

This is the only store that I know of and certainly the only store in Toronto that sells vegan versions of Mars, Snickers, Almond Joy and 3 Musketeers!! It's by the company Go Max Go, and they taste great!! They're $3.00 each which is a little pricey, but that's all specialty products so I have no complaints against the store.

Pros: Good variety of vegan junk food, has vegan items that no other place has
Cons: Some of the prices.
evejon
evejon

Fantastic Store!

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2009

I visited this store recently, and I urge everyone in the GTA or passing through Toronto to visit it! Places like this are the reason I wanted to move closer to Toronto - I may be going against the grain, but at least I have company! I purchased many hard (or impossible!) to find items - teese, sweet and sara marshmallows, worsteshire sauce, rice milk chocolate, lotion, etc. The owner was friendly, and I LOVE that he runs an all vegan store! Yes, the prices are expensive - however, it is still cheaper to buy things from an awesome company like this than to order it online! In addition to all the food items, there are plenty of vegan message materials, some clothing, magazines, etc. Definitely worth a visit.

Pros: Specialty Items, All vegan!
World B. Free
World B. Free

Vegan Mecca

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2009

There is a ridiculous amount of stuff that I just cannot get anywhere else, Teese Cheese, Sweet and Sarah Marshmellows, Tofutti Cutie Cheese Slices, Parma! Out of Print Herbivore Magazines, Nasoy Creamy Italian Dressing, and on and on. Some prices are high on specialty items, but that is because of shipping (Teese has to be freezer shipped, etc). Also, one time I went in and was asked how much they charged for Almond Breeze where I lived and it was 50 cents cheaper and they price matched. Add to the fact that everything in the shop is VEGAN, eco + labour friendly and that the owner is a super cool AR activist who has been busting his balls in the Toronto area for a long time. Panacea is awesome. [edited-see tos] happy meat health food stores and big box anti-union grocery pits!!!!!!

Pros: SUPER FRIENDLY , ECO/LABOUR FRIENDLY , IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND ITEMS
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

I was excited

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2009

Like I said I was excited. I drove up to Toronto just to check out a vegan grocery store. I figured I would spend a fortune and come home with tonnes of vegan goodness. Same selection as my grocery store, with higher prices. I understand you need to charge more but somethings were just way out there. I still spent a fortune for a few items. Everytime Im back in Toronto I plan on stopping by to check it out and pick up a few things. It never happens though.

Pros: friendly
Cons: pricey
dem
dem

No worries here

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2009

I love shopping here because I don't have to spend all that time looking at the labels and ingredient list. Lots of different items for sale here: groceries, cosmetics, bath products, jewelry, clothing etc. And Panacea made it possible for me to have my first Rice Krispie square in years, thanks to their vegan marshmellows!

Pros: location, vegan
Ilovecows
Ilovecows

Nice store

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2009

I was walking on Bloor and came across the new store

Panacea. They are the only store I know if in Toronto that sells the Vegan Marshmallows. I now know where to go.

maulydaft
maulydaft

Wow! Toronto Vegan store!

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2009

Toronto's first vegan store has me so excited! No looking at labels and all those treats you eat are available for one stop shopping. PLUS the only place in the GTA with Sweet and Sara marshmallows! PLUS Boardwalk Chocolates vegan truffles!

Pros: close to bathurst subway, vegan chocolate, really nice staff

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Panacea: