A unique space where one may enjoy the Zen ambiance and taste vegetarian food. Features all-you-can-eat buffet which includes vegetable soup, several hot meals, vegetarian sushi, and a wide varieties of cold salads. Fresh juices and desserts are also available. Directions: Metro at Campo Pequeno, saída Av. Barbosa du Bocage. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Buffet, Western, Portugese, International, Take-out
Avenida Barbosa du Bocage 107C (Uptown)
Lisbon, Portugal 1050-031

Vegan_Mendiz

Disappointed

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2014

Bad expericience.
I started by asking one of the waiters wish dishes were vegan, since me and my girlfriend are vegan.
After the waiter told me wich dishes were vegan i was about to serve me (buffet) when my girlfriend suspected that that dish wasn't vegan, but it was one of the dishes the waiter told me it was vegan. I went back and asked again the waiter and this time she told me. "Oh, yes, it has butter in it".
Oooookay, I just lost all my thrust in the dishes that she told me were vegan.
We ate and tried all the vegan dishes (there weren't many) and they were FULL of salt and oil. Even if we wanted to balance the salt and oil with something fresh, we couldn't because even the salad and vegetables were salty and oily.
We left the place with a salty and oily mouth and very disappointed.

Sugestion - Invest in fresh ingredients so there's no need to hide the bad quality with salt and oil

Ps. I ate there the most ridiculous sushi ever, small, hard and dried rice with 2 little pieces of carrot.

Pros: Friendly staff, Buffet
Cons: Too much oil and salt in the food, Little vegan dishes, Staff doesn't know wich dishes are vegan
crystalcarol
crystalcarol

A good place to eat

Posted on 10 / 08 / 2014

We enjoyed this place. Everything was tasty and the buffet was plentiful, neat and clean. The manager was careful to show me what was not vegan--maybe 2 dishes. In every way a good place to eat for vegans.
I believe it is not far from the Gulbenkian museums, so can be combined with a visit.

Pros: professional, excellent value, good service
Cons: some dishes may have lacked taste
TofuCelt
TofuCelt

Wow!

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2014

This is one of the most amazing places that I have ever ate in. If, like me, you love your grub, and appreciate value for money, this is the place to go in Lisboa. I don't usually like buffets but this was stress-free buffeting. It was a nice quiet peaceful place with an amazing variety of dishes. The 'waiter' is a nice friendly guy. The cook is an excellent cook who seems to be able to come out with an amazing array of dishes each night. Even though it was a metro ride out of the city centre, it is well worth the journey, so much show so that we made the journey out to it for most of the nights that we stayed in Lisboa. This is what veggie food should be about. Good value for money and great variety. I'd love to give this place 6* stars for being that extra special.

Pros: Great variety of food, Great value for money, Nice calm place to eat
Cons: A metro ride out of the city centre, Closes a bit early

kthxbye
kthxbye

delicious buffet

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2014

A lot of different tasty food,friendly owner, nice atmosphere

Sapato Verde
Sapato Verde

Great and tasty buffet

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

Because its a buffet you can try almos a bit of everything. The staff is very friendly. Definitely an experience to repeat!

Pros: pleasent ambience, nice staff, good food
VeganJazzman
VeganJazzman

All We Need Is Here!

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2014

Super nice owner, great buffet (9,95-€ only! / only 2 of 14 plates were not vegan), delicious dessert and nice atmosphere - what else do you need for a nice vegan dinner?

Pros: Variety, Taste, Price
Pieter Duijves
Pieter Duijves

best veggie food in Lisbon

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2014

i love Lisbon for being such a veggie friendly city! this Paladar Zen place is a bit out of the center, but fortunately a 2 minute walk from metro Campo Pequenho on the yellow line. in 2 weeks we came back 4 times to this buffet. the food is definitely the most delicious we tasted on our holiday.

Pros: original & delicious food, great choice, lovely staff
Cons: you need to take the metro a bit
necroticheart
necroticheart

Wonderful :3

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

A pleasant space with very good food. I recommend.

MMCM
MMCM

good buffet

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

Eat as much as you like

Price for value.

Pros: as much as you like, mostly vegan
Cons: far from the city centre
izzyindigo
izzyindigo

Quick & Yummy

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

Walked in for dinner and was seated right away. Many options cooked and raw. The food was delicious and after a long day the super quick buffet was exactly what we needed. We also ordered fresh carrot juice which hit the spot. Satisfied.

Kryx
Kryx

Fantastic Place With A Warm Welcome. English as Well

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2014

This place was fantastic after wandering Lisbon for mediocre veggie options. Most if not all food items are labeled. I found everything to be mostly vegan. The man at the front and the waiters all spoke English. Very moderately priced - about 9 euros for the buffet and a drink. The staff was very efficient - they were very quick to clear plates.

Pros: English, cooked Vegetables, Veggie Sushi
skatebambi
skatebambi

Tasty lunch buffet

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

Ate here Saturday lunchtime and was a little worried that there were only 4 other people there.
I shouldn't have been concerned, the food was tasty and had lots of vegan options. The chick pea/tofu curry was good if a little lacking in firepower. The veggie strudel also looked nicefor the veggies.
Desertwas a tasty coconut custard.
Servicewas good, and in english.

Pros: Pleasant modern ambience, Good selection on buffet, Welcoming service
GGomes
GGomes

Depends of the day...

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2014

I ate many times in Paladar Zen. Some of them was very good, some of them are just ok. The staff are always very nice. I recomend.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Friendly Atmosphere, Sometimes the food are very good
elrujo
elrujo

FRIENDLY STAFF

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

fairly big place and good food

staff is also warm

Pros: good staff
Cons: small variety
rixmas
rixmas

Perfect restaurant

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

Very tasty and nice place with plenty of dishes to pick from. All-you-can-eat approach. Good quality of food.

Pros: Clean and nice place, Big variety of dishes, Friendly and English-speaking staff
Cons: A bit more expensive than average
JonTurner2000
JonTurner2000

Its Not Far to The Paladar

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

We tried a few restaurants in Lisbon that were either buffet or where you chose 1 or 2 main options accompanied by salads (so virtually buffet without the eat all you want element) - and this was easily the best.
The buffet had a number of varied and very tasty options with equally excellent accompanying hot and salad items. There was sushi on offer also.
The restaurant is really well done out - relaxing but cool too. Service was very professional and friendly.
The food seemed noticably even fresher than in the other places we visited.
Only 5 minutes walk from Campo Pequeno metro station; we were definitely pleased that we made the effort to travel here.
Our best meal in Lisbon :]

Pros: Fresh tasty food, Decor, Service
Mimimina
Mimimina

Amazing vegan food!

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2013

The lunch buffet was really reasonably priced and there was only a couple of things that weren't vegan! They had a delicious salad selection including vegan sushi and then three vegetarian warm dishes with rice and potatoes.
There were three vegan desserts, I had apple crumble and my partner had a sort of vegan panna cotta made from coconut milk. It was really good and we'll definitely go back!

Pros: Good price, Vegan desserts, Great tasting food
Eduweb
Eduweb
  • raw

Tasty food

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

The best vegetarian restaurant I've ever tried! The food was really tasty, everything was well-prepared and with care. And the price is very reasonable. A must in Lisbon, even if a bit off the main areas.

Pros: Tasty, Many options, Reasonably priced
Cons: A bit far from the center
Vegan since 1990
Vegan since 1990

Great Restaurant--lots of great options for vegans

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

The manager of this restaurant Nuona was so friendly and accommodating. He was welcoming and friendly. He let us know which of the dishes were vegan (almost all were) and we ate and ate. It is an all you can buffet. They have vegan sushi, seitan dishes, salads, and so on and so forth. I truly recommend it. The deserts are great, I had the apple crumble. We also had great tasting soy cappuccinos. It is a calm atmosphere and definitely worth the visit.

Pros: Fantastic manager, Excellent food and lots of options, Reasonable price
Cosmica
Cosmica

Marvelous food.

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2013

My family and I go there for years.
Fresh ingredients, varied menu, delicious flavors, and you can choose whatever you want from the buffet.

hack_man
hack_man

Minimalist Experience

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

A true Japanese style minimalist adventure. Great buffet food in a business-like location at the top of the city. Very pleasant seating arrangements, professionally organised and a good option for lunch as well evening dining. The food is of an excellent standard with many vegan options. There is always a hot soup and usually a cold gazpacho. The salads are superb with the aubergine, sushi and tomatoes being stand out for me. On the hot side, things change I am sure, but on the night of our visit on 4 Sept 2013 the choice was impressive consisting of a delectable vegatable puree, a seitan stroganoff, vegetable quiche, soya casserole and spaghetti with oil. Absolutely loved it, another Lisbon veggie buffet banked and thanked

Pros: layout, good food
Cons: location
saul cups
saul cups

Convenient, but average quality

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2013

I'm grateful that Paladar Zen exists. For around 8 euro, you can indulge in the all-you-can-eat buffet (when I was there about 3/4 of the offerings were vegan), plus waiters are friendly and service fast. Even still, I just wasn't that excited about the food itself. A tofu dish I tried actually had a strange fishy flavor, and other dishes were just sort of mediocre. Don't get me wrong--I might eat there again [edit by staff- see tos].

Pros: Convenient / fast, Cheap, All-you-can-eat
Cons: Food just mediocre
Richard Ross
Richard Ross

Interesting food and knowledgeable staff

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

A modern, clean lined place where we ate one evening in June 2013. Although not vegan there was a good choice of vegan food, including the vegan sushi! However there was only one vegan dessert. The staff were helpful and knowledgeable.

Pros: Imaginative vegan food, Friendly and helpful staff
Cons: Limited vegan dessert menu
mbbl
mbbl

Love it!

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2013

This was my first Vegetarian restaurant and it's my favourite!

Great buffet with a lot of options including Vegetarian Sushi! :)

You can also drink hot or cold tea with your meals and the desserts are perfect for "sweet teeth" people!

Even Moby likes this place! :D

If you visit Lisbon please check this place, you will want to come back! :D

Pros: Great Buffet, Great ambient, Great staff
Cons: Sometimes very crowded
Krys005
Krys005

Good option for lunch or dinner!

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

My husband and I went to have dinner on Monday night around 9pm. It's a small restaurant, no terrace, it was busy, it has been 7 years its open so I believe the restaurant is going well..
It's a buffet with a selection of soup and bread, salads, grains (it was millet when we went), a selection of sushi, hot dishes such as vegetables, rice, something with eggs.. etc.. It's small but there is enough food. I don't believe it's organic though. They change the menu everyday. They also serve wine. Its not expensive. I would go again but next time would be more at lunch time.. Service was good, people speak portuguese (they understand a little english) and sign of the food is also in portuguese. The waiter told us what was vegan and what was not since Im vegan. Nice place to see and have a quick and healthy meal.

Pros: healthy, gluten free grain, good value
Cons: language
ejthiggs
ejthiggs

Good buffet

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

My partner and I (both vegetarian) visited this restaurant on a Tuesday evening in July 2012. It was pretty quiet but we arrived kind of early (about 7:30) and other people started arriving a bit later, that's just the culture in Portugal.
FOOD
The food was good, including a large selection of salads and some hot food too. We both thought the salads were excellent and there was vegetarian sushi available too although nothing special.
PRICE
We paid less than 25 euros in total, which included one drink each. Pretty good value considering it's an all you can eat buffet!

Pros: Good value, Lots of dishes, Nice decor
Cons: Far from city centre, Signs and menu in Portuguese
Sonita Amor
Sonita Amor

Clean design restaurant

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

Unfortunately this restaurant is not vegan, although it has a vegan offer. When reserved for large (vegan) groups, the food is all vegan.
Buffet.
Good parking and underground nearby.

Pros: Large groups, Vegan when asked (for large groups), central
Cons: Not vegan
hurvinek
hurvinek

all you can eat

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2012

Normally i am not a huuuge eater, but the food at paladar zen was just so amazing, i ate 2 plates and my BF, because everything was so tasty and delicious looking, we had to try as much as we could.:) THE SALADS...a revelation! so good, and so many different ones. the applecrumble...yummy! superfriendly staff and nice athmosphere. its been 6 months since we were in lisbon, and we still sometimes, say how awesome it would be, to go there now and have some allyoucaneat.

Pros: many salads, healthy
missis greenie
missis greenie

Praise

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2012

Friendly waiters, tasty food, nice atmosphere, cheap

VeganColleen
VeganColleen

Reliable and tasty

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

I visited Paladar Zen twice when vacationing in Lisbon in December 2011. I really enjoyed the food and found the staff to be incredibly friendly but the language barrier was a problem because the non-vegan items aren't labelled as such. Both times, we muddled through with our limited Portuguese but it would be easier for everyone if they just made some signs.

Pros: Good selection, Affordable, Nice staff
Cons: Things not labelled as non-vegan
xvegankx
xvegankx

Recommended by vegans

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

Fantastic vegan food. We had sushi, soup, warm dishes( with seitan, rice, ...), cold dished ( mixed salads), applecrumble, ...
The best vegan-friendly place in Lisbon. The waiter didn't talk English very welk, but he really tried and we understood each other. He was very friendly and helpful.

Pros: Taste, Price
Cons: Location
loira
loira

Vegan paradise!

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2011

This restaurant is a paradise for vegan people. There are also something vegetarian, but a lot of dishes are vegan! I love it. There is a peacefule atmosphere; you can sit and then you can choose all you want eat! There is a buffet with a different soup every day, there is bread with sauces; cooked and raw vegetables;mix salads; bean, chickpeas, peas; cooked cereals; lasagne; potatoes gateaux; cous cous....
The price is 9.95 euro for the dinner and is "all you can eat". Beverages and cakes are not included in the price.
Everything is very good and well cooked!

Pros: Good food, Price, Location
Cons: Not in the city center, but near metro
Jenny G
Jenny G

Convenient

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2011

I first went to Paladar Zen about 3 years ago, and it was so bad I swore never to go back, but when it became my local veggie restaurant I decided to give it a second chance, and I'm glad I did.
It's not the best restaurant around, but they do have a nice selection of dishes - always soup, always a large selection of salads, and some alright sushi (not Japanese standard, but definitely nice as an extra on your plate). The hot dishes are a bit hit and miss for me. I love their mixed vegetables, but they tend to use too much soya for my liking, and as it's not all vegan, the non-vegan options can be a little disappointing.
Still, it's a 10-minute walk from home, and it's good to get a lot of variety on days I'm too lazy to cook! If you're in the area, I'd definitely recommend it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get there otherwise.
Staff are friendly, the decor is nice, and the price is relatively reasonable.

Pros: wide selection, sushi and salads, cheaper than city centre
Cons: can lack flavour
hstryman
hstryman

The best in Lisbon!

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2011

Paladar Zen is centrally located near o Metro - Campo Pequeno - and is worth the trip if you are anywhere in Lisbon! The food is outstanding, reasonably priced, with a good mix of options in a buffet style. The vegetables and fruit are fresh and, if you feel like "sobremesa" - dessert, I recommend the Chocolate Mousse! The Wait staff were friendly, the restaurant decor was modern and clean. Paladar Zen is a "must stop" restaurant for any vegetariano/vegetariana - vegano/vegana who is in (or visiting) Lisbon.

Pros: Quality of Food, Price, Decor
Taraxsis
Taraxsis

Excellent food, very nice location

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2011

We were in Lisbon for 4 days...and we had 3 dinners at Palader Zen.
The food is definitely fresh and "yummy". Almost everything is vegan. I tried 3 types of seitan and all 3 were delicious.
Plus the staff was very friendly and kind.

Pros: Excellent food, Good location, Friendly staff
Laudi
Laudi

Good, fresh, inexpensive

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2011

The staff was very friendly and helpful. There are good choices of vegan meals and 8,50 € for a Saturday's lunch menu (all you can eat) is very good. The food was fresh and I will definitely stop by again at my next visit to Lisbon. Even though the place is a bit far from the city centre, you can easily get there using the metro (0,90 € a ride) and there is a nice mall/cinama/event place and a few nice places to take a look at, so it is definetly worth the small effort of the ride.

Pros: Fresh, tasty food, Good vegan options, Nice staff
shapesh1ft
shapesh1ft

Good buffet and great service

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2010

Good buffet and almost everything is vegan. Also some Portuguese specialities made vegan. Manager(?) of the restaurant was very helpful, friendly and spoke good English.

Pros: Food, Service
Cons: Location, Deserts
chelonian
chelonian

A happy surprise

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2010

I was happy to find this restaurant through the Happy Cow on my first and recent visit to Portugal. It was the first vegetarian buffet I have ever been to or even heard about (and I seek them out vegetarian places in the U.S.). I appreciate it's existence!

The food is a good sized buffet; not huge, but quite enough, and the menu changes daily, as I recall. The food was good healthy vegetarian fare, which I enjoyed, though I would have preferred a few some stronger flavors (spices, sauces, etc.). That said, what I ate for the main meal was quite good, and included seitan, vegetables, brown rice, several mixed grain salads, tofu, and other vegetarian/vegan standards. The dessert was remarkably good: I had a passionfruit mousse that was simple and yet incredibly enjoyable.

The price, which I think was 7.50 euros, was quite reasonable for a buffet. My only complaint might be that it was warmer inside than I prefer, to the point where I was sweating a bit during my meal, though still better than the very hot day in Lisbon; on cooler days, I'd guess the temperature inside the restaurant would be fine. And even with a bit of warmth, I'd eat there like that again.

The person at the counter (the owner, I think) seemed to be a nice and approachable fellow who cared about how the restaurant ran. It's clear from the elegant decor of the place, the name, design style, etc., that some thought has gone into Paladar Zen. I'm glad it has. If I were a Lisbon resident living or working downtown I would eat there probably once a week or more. It's too bad I could only go once, since the buffet offerings would be different on other days.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, fabulous dessert
Cons: too warm
vegan48
vegan48

Dinner at Paladar Zen in February 2010

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2010

The food was terrific and the dinner atmosphere was quiet and enjoyable. I am a strict vegan so I was happy to find several good hot dishes for me and many salad offerings at the buffet tables as well. Others at my table were vegetarians, so we all had many choices. The prices are reasonable, especially for vegans in Europe. Go there if you are in Lisbon. The owner knows the rules of a vegan diet and is happy to tell you about preparation of the food. The restaurant is located in Lisbon's financial district. I was told the lunches are busy, but it is quiet during dinner hours. There are about 10 tables in the restaurant. They also offer takeout - a big plate for 9 euros. Again, the food is great, well-prepared, the ingredients are good quality, and fresh too. I would go there again. Wish I could find a restaurant like that in every city in Europe.

Pros: Good food, Vegan offered, Good hours
Dharam
Dharam

friendly

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2010

this restaurant have a great decoration a nice desserts but the buffet is very simple and you dont have many choice.the price is expensive for what you have, but its nice to try it once if you want to change a bit.

Cons: buffet , price, location
barbarella
barbarella

All you can eat at the heart of Lisboa

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

Paladar Zen is and all-you-can-eat buffet in the heart of Lisboa's business centre.
The place is very elegant and if offers a wide choice of vegan options. The price is very reasonable as well.

Pros: quality of the food, good location, nice price

Dear Owner and Manager of Paladar Zen:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Lisbon page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/04/09