Padmanadi Vegetarian Restau...

Edmonton vegan restaurant offering Asian food menu with items include veggie beef satay, fried vermicelli dishes, and other dishes. Offer a weekend vegan brunch as well as monthly all-you-can-eat buffet - see website calendar. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Asian, Chinese, Indonesian, Indian, Thai, Buffet, Take-out

_lawlipops_
_lawlipops_

Ate here 3x within a short visit to Edmonton

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2015

I could not get enough of the food at Padmanadi. On my first visit, I had the won ton soup. I hadn't had won ton soup for about 6 years, as I cannot find eggless wonton wrappers. Their soup was absolutely amazing, full of flavour, and had the satisfying taste I was looking for. I came back the next morning and had their hot chocolate and coconut French toast, which really hit the spot. I then came back another time for another won ton soup. I look forward to returning on my next trip to Edmonton.

Pros: Food is fanastic and full of flavour, Huge variety on the menu, Great environment
Cons: Can get a little pricey
dangertown
dangertown

Best place to take meat eaters!

Posted on 11 / 29 / 2014

Every dish is delish and even meat eaters will love it. Great atmosphere and refreshing not having to triple check that an item is vegan - just find something that catches your eye and order! my favs are salty chicken, curry chicken + potatoes, and ginger beef. cant go wrong eating here

Pros: 100% vegan, amazing food
Cons: a little expensive for a student
b33lop
b33lop

Love it!

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2014

Great food, great staff, great atmosphere. I have loved this place for years and years!

bessi
bessi

Good Vegan Food at the Padmanadi Restaurant.

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2014

Whenever I go to Edmonton I always go to the Padmanadi Restaurant.The atmosphere is friendly and the food tasty and nourishing. I don't however like all of the fake meat on the menu.I would definitely recommend this place to my friends when they go to Edmonton. It can however be very loud and noisy, not the place for a quiet intimate dinner.

Pros: Great menu selection, Great food.
Cons: Too Noisy, Hard to get a seat if on the weekend, Too much fake meat.
veganraymie
veganraymie

Best naughty vegan food in edmonton

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2014

Been here too many times to count, have brought meat eaters and they loved it. Alot of it is quite fatty but you can get some healthy options here if you want. that's never what I go for though hahaha. Give this place a try, you won't regret it!

• veganraymie veganraymie

Ps, TRY THE MONGOLIAN CHICKEN. Dear god.....

ozzyprv
ozzyprv

Amazing First Time

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2014

After several recommendations my wife, son and I decided to go to for dinner. Food was excellent, service was great and quick. What a good experience overall.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 24, 2014

kimward8
kimward8

Friendly Staff and Modern Decor

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2014

I liked Padmanadi. We ate there for brunch and dinner on a recent road trip to Edmonton from Calgary. The whole restaurant is vegan. For brunch I had the vegan eggs benedict and the chocolate mousse for desert. The mousse was good, it tastes like the chocolate pudding/mousse I make at home from silken tofu. The eggs benedict was ok, it had too much veggie ham for my taste. But I liked the sauce and the tofu. The corn cakes that we had for appetizers were good too.

I really liked the staff, they were very friendly and helpful. At dinner they let me order the chow mein with extra broccoli, no mushrooms, and no cauliflower. The ginger gai lan was really good. The cheesecake with berry sauce for dessert was amazing. I like the decor and the atmosphere here. I wish they had a location in Calgary.

Pros: Modern Decor / Spacious, Good Desserts, Friendly Staff
Cons: Too much fake meat
Annabel09
Annabel09

Wow.

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

Curry Chicken. Ginger Beef. Salty chicken strips.

That is all I need to say :D !

Pros: Quality, Service, Ambiance

NicoleBlatzManeschyn
NicoleBlatzManeschyn

Love this restaurant

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

This is by far my favourite vegan restaurant in the city. Their food is high-quality and the staff are always pleasant. I wish I could eat here more often because I always enjoy my meals when I do. Unfortunately, many other people also know how great Padmanadi is and it can be tough to get a table on Friday or Saturday nights. As a bonus, I feel completely comfortable taking my two pre-school children here - they provide them with plastic cups and utensils which makes my kids feel at home and I don't have to worry about broken glass.

Pros: Family friendly, Great food, Attractive restaurant
Cons: Can be very busy
JKveg
JKveg

fantastic

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2014

This place is always top choice for me when I get to choose!

Pros: excellent food, ginger beef
Cons: locationparking, staff are a bit slow
VegGamer
VegGamer

Delicious!

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

I had stopped coming here for a while due to the prices and the quality having gone down-hill (in my opinion). However I came here on New Years Day and wow, what a difference! Their "meats" are now less squishy and their flavors and amazing. The decor is great, the service is great, lunch specials are reasonably priced and their weekend brunch is fantastic!

I highly recommend the ginger "beef" and curry "chicken".

A lot of their desserts seem to be sold out most of the time, if they could keep more stock that would be good.

Pros: Ambiance, Flavors, Selection
Cons: Location (parking)
lotustummy
lotustummy

So so good!!

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2013

When I come to Edmonton this is the first place I go! Try the salty chicken strips and the ginger beef! Even my carnivore dad loves it!

Pros: Good variety of dishes, Large portions
Cons: Not licensed, Hipster waiters can be slow and disinterested
JoeVeg
JoeVeg

Amazing!

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2013

I can't say enough good things about this place. This is always my first stop when coming back home to Edmonton. After a 14 hour drive from Vancouver we headed straight there only to discover that they had moved a few blocks away. Upon arrival I realized the new place used to be home of Sound Connection Records which I have fond memories of. Some of my favourite punk records were discovered in that space. Very fitting that the location is now home to Edmonton's finest vegan eats. I love it!

Cons: none
LauraJones
LauraJones

Chinese food that wasn't

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2013

We went for the first time on Friday night. They had live music and it was a busy place! It was buffet only, which we weren't aware of, but it turned out that it was well worth it. We got the opportunity to try some of everything! The food was all great! We were told by the waitress that all the food in the restaurant is vegan, even though they advertise as vegetarian. We joked about how much MSG must be in everything to make it taste so good - although I'm sure they don't use any.

The service was great, and they were able to answer all our questions. We are looking forward to going again - although next time we'll try to go when it isn't so busy! The building isn't the best for dispersion of sound, so when it's full, it's hard to hear the person across from you. Even so, it was worth it.

Pros: All vegan!, Live Music, Great Service
Cons: Very loud
Jayclassic88
Jayclassic88

Pretty good!

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2013

I love this place but I find it a tad bit expensive. Not overly but I won't be full unless I spend a good twenty dollars. The specialize in mock meats and they do it excellently, very flavourful and good texture. Lots of iconic dishes remade vegan. My favourite is the nasi goreng. I did unfortunately find all the soups I tried to be Bland. Their buffet is an awesome experience but don't go there in after work hours because its insanely packed and might take a hour to sit down.

Pros: Excellent Selection., Excellent Flavour., Cool Atmosphere.
Cons: Lots of deep fried., A little expensive., In an uncomfortable neighbourhood.
pfalvo
pfalvo

Great Experience

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

Always a favourite. Returned to Padmanadi for another great experience. Great food, staff, atmosphere. I want to try everything!

Previous review:

We came here straight from the airport and had a great dining experience. Friendly staff. Great vegan food. Amazing selection. Almost makes me wish I lived in Edmonton!

Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 28, 2010

Pros: Atmosphere, Variety, Staff
Cons: Location
Petesternz
Petesternz

Edmonton's shining star....

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2013

Padmanadi is everything you'd want in a vegan restaurant. Challenging menu, great decor, friendly staff. The dinners are very good, though I've not been to a buffet. Try the Mongolian Chicken, it's a real treat. Personally, I think the best part of Padmanadi is their Saturday-Sunday brunch which should not be missed. They have an eclectic menu with standard stuff like French Toast - possibly the best vegan version I've ever had - and an awesome millet oatmeal, and also some incredible Thai fusion fake omelets. Easily one of the best vegan brunches I've ever had, and because I live here, I get to have it often!!!

Pros: Eclectic menu, Great staff
francescaveggie
francescaveggie

You must try the Ginger beef!

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2013

The food here is fantastic. I love e flavours and there is so much variety. The Ginger beef is to die for.

Rachel16
Rachel16

Excellent Restaurant

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2013

This is my 2nd favourite restaurant in Edmonton (Nourish taking the cake). It has great food, great service, and best of all despite the misleading menu its ALL vegan. I wish they had more gluten free options but what they do have is excellent and definately more options than some places. I visit at least once every trip I make to Edmonton. A must visit restaurant for vegans :)

Pros: All vegan, Awesome decor, Excellent service
Cons: Could be more gluten free options
the_vegbrarian
the_vegbrarian

Best Vegan Restaurant in Edmonton

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

Padmanadi is easily, hands-down, the best vegan restaurant in Edmonton. They have a wide selection of indonesian faux-meat choices which bring even omnis back for more. The monthly buffet is a huge hit, but they don't allow reservations on that day. There is a lovely private room at the back that large parties can reserve. I recommend trying the ginger beef, sweet and sour shrimp, or the spicy eggplant. The special lunch menu offers smaller portions with rice and spring rolls, it is a nice option for when you don't want a ton of leftovers. Another great thing about Padmanadi is the staff; the owner always stops by the tables to say hi when he is working, he is very personable.

Pros: excellent food, very friendly staff, good value
Cons: often very busy, no resos on buffet days
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

Yay!

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

You can't live in Edmonton as a vegan and not love this place! They have so much variety, Kasim and his family are super adorable, and its always awesome in there. They usually have an all you can eat buffet every month for some holiday. Amazing! I can't say enough good things about this place!

Pros: Awesome, Awesome, AWESOME
Cons: Can get insanely busy during buffet, A little pricey
EmStephenson
EmStephenson

Disappointed

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

My girlfriends and I had planned a trip to Edmonton for a weekend visit. As a fairly recent vegan, I am always excited to share "my" food with others so I searched for a restaurant in Edmonton that catered to the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. I read awesome reviews about Padmanadi so I lured my friends there with the promise of great things. Oops. I can only comment on the dishes we ordered: The spring rolls were enjoyed but the Crispy Corn Cakes were not that crisp and very greasy. The Eggplant and Chinese Toon dish consisted of only eggplant, not other vegetables; the sauce was not to our liking. The Mixed Vegetable and Rice dish was tasty but unremarkable. The Mutton dish did not appeal to any of our taste buds, nor did the texture. The lemon "chicken" was enjoyed. Hair was found in two of the dishes; one of these dishes was quickly replaced without hesitation but not deducted from our bill. I will say that the restaurant is lovely, bright and airy; great ambience. The staff is awesome - attentive, friendly and knowledgeable about the food. The service was quick and timely. The presentation of the dishes was good. But I don't think I would eat there again. Being celiac as well as vegan left me with few choices, not just because many of the dishes were not gluten-free but because of the cross contamination in the kitchen. What was impressive is that the staff were well-versed in the dangers of gluten contamination and plenty of warning was given. It was a disappointing venture for us but, as I said, I can only comment on our food; their menu is quite extensive so I'm sure we missed some of the "jewels" available that would have been better suited to our taste buds!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good service, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Not "wheat free" due to x-contamination
VeganSylvie
VeganSylvie

Great Vegan Cuisine

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

I went here twice in the two days I was visiting Edmonton. The food here was brought to us quickly and had great presentation. I found the prices reasonable and the food very delicious. As a vegan it was a rare treat to not to have worry if the meal contained meat products, nonetheless dairy and eggs. The staff were very friendly, and were able to create a very welcoming atmosphere. They even related back to what was previously said on our first visit. I am definitely going to make this stop on my next visit to Edmonton, and would recommend others do the same.

Pros: Wonderful food , quick , friendly staff
Dixon
Dixon

Superb

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

This has to be the most favourite vegetarian restaurant of all time.
Completely vegan- thus relaxing for vegans! Superb quality and tasting food,
excellent quick friendly service and lovely decor.
Owner - Kasim is a megastar and we adore him ( and his daughters!)

Pros: Completely vegan, Excellent food-corn cakes brilliant!, Quick friendly service
Cons: Prices have escalated recently, few raw food options
Rawria
Rawria
  • raw

Our fave restaurant in Edmonton!!

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2012

Me and my hunny love eating at Padmanadi. They are 100% vegan so I feel safer eating here when I am missing the taste of cooked meat/foods. They have a nice ambiance, nice staff, great owner (Kasim is always so sweet to come and chat with us), big portions and very reasonably priced. We absolutely like this place. Extra stars for us.

Pros: Much healthier food, Excellent taste, Price is great
miss_mojo
miss_mojo

Don't judge a book....

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

I recently had a wonderful meal at Padmanadi!! I am new to Alberta and I live outside of the city, 2.5hrs North to be exact, our meal was so worth the drive!! I am finding it quite difficult to find like minded people in beef county, but that night I felt at home! The service was very friendly & very quick, even though it was quite busy & our food was amazing!! My only complaint is the neighbourhood, we parked out back and had to dodge a path of used condoms!! Despite the hood we will be returning!!!

Pros: service, price, taste
Cons: location, location, parking
QuothTheRaven
QuothTheRaven

Delicious

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2012

The staff was very friendly. The food was delicious, fast and a great value.

Pros: all vegan, friendly staff, good value
LcoyoteS
LcoyoteS

Asian Fusion Vegan Restaurant

Posted on 12 / 02 / 2011

This is the only all-vegan restaurant that I know of for Edmonton, so it is a relief for me to have a place to dine out where I don't need to worry about what I can and cannot eat. Most of the mock meats I've tried are convincing in taste and texture. The curry mutton is especially delicious. I wish, though, that there were more affordable options for couples who would like to try a variety of dishes. I also wish that there were some intimate, romantic seating areas. It is a very open dining area and it is fairly crowded.

Pros: delicious food, variety of vegan foods and drinks, convincing mock meats
Cons: pricey, no intimate seating areas, only one combination dinner for two
Profound_Raincloud
Profound_Raincloud

I Love Padmanadi!

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2011

One of my favorite restaurants!!! My two favorite dishes are the ginger beef and the coconut panna cotta. I love that it is vegan and I don't have to worry about animals products at all!! They are always helpful and accommodating to food restrictions as well which is a huge plus for me!
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 07, 2011

Pros: Accommodating, Amazing Food
francistegg
francistegg

anothet oasis for vegans

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2011

Lovely restaurant.
Using 'faux' meats is getting popular. However, this OS one of the best I have been to so far.
More expensive than Loma House, but is aimed at a different market..........
I will go back to Padmanadi, because I would be mad not to.

Pros: Awesome decor, Really tasty food, excellent service
Cons: Parking can be fun
kipnus
kipnus

I love this place!!!

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2011

Padmanadi is one of my favourite restaurants in Edmonton. I love being able to order ANYTHING off the menu, knowing it's vegan.

For appetizers, I like the spring rolls, pan-fried bean curd, and roti canai. The ginger beef is my favourite main dish, and it's the one I always recommend to meat-lovers. I also like their sweet chili chicken and spicy nuggets. For non-"meat" dishes, I'm a fan of the chili tofu--can you tell I like things spicy? :)

I've only had their brunch once, and I ordered the curried yam "omelette," which was interesting. I loved the root vegetable hashbrowns on the side.

I haven't been to the old location, but the new location has a great atmosphere, with live music on some nights. The service is awesome, and there is something for everyone--vegan and omnivores alike!

Pros: Delicious vegan food!, Cool atmosphere
farley
farley

A bit disappointed

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

I love this restaurant and the food - but what I don't like is the dinner menu for lunch. A while back they had a lunch menu and a dinner menu (this was great) and it has recently changed. I find that the dinner menu is way to much food for me at lunch. As a result I miss out on some variety. Because it is the dinner menu it is also more pricey. So this restaurant went for me - from being one I could visit weekly to an occasional treat. It's too bad.

veggiebear
veggiebear

Great Food

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

The bean curd drumsticks and satay were both excellent, omni family couldn't believe it wasn't real chicken. Ginger beef was also great. Will definitely be going back here next time we're in the area.

Pros: great food
EC
EC

AMAZING!

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

Pads is hands down the best place to dine out veggie style in edmonton. the friendly staff love to see you, the food is consistant and SOOOO YUMMY! if i remember correctly i had the mock duck, or something. we went as a group and all tried about 75% of the entree's and not one single dish was bad. they just kept getting better.

...after all this talk, im heading to Pad's right meow!

Pros: friendly, yummy, pleasant atmosphere
Cons: my picture isnt on the wall haha!
Elly
Elly

Going back again!

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2009

We visited this restaurant when we were in town for the Folk Music Festival. The staff was excellent and helpful and the food was the very best vegan fare I have ever had. Try the ginger beef, to die for.

christine_bean
christine_bean

My favourite

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

Padmanadi is my absolutely favourite restraunt. I have enjoyed every item i've tried and love their buffet days. My meat eating friends even love the artificial meat. The atmosphere is so warm and the staff are as friendly as they come! I can't say enough good things! Thanks Padmanadi!

shesh
shesh

Phenomenal Restaurant

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

It's so nice to be able to order anything off the menu! My vegan boyfriend and I have been there twice (in 2 weeks) and LOVE the food.
One thing we love is that the fake meat dishes come with SO MUCH, whereas there is usually a lot of veggie "filler" at other restaurants.

Easily our favourite restaurant in Edmonton.

Pros: great food, good prices, speedy service
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi shesh, I agree with you that Padmanadi is a wonderful place to eat. The owner is a great guy as well.

skymonkey
skymonkey

great food, great atmosphere

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2008

this place is very popular. we went to the neighbouring vegetarian restaurant, oriental veggie house, on a saturday night, we were the only table. the next day we came in padmanadi, it was jam packed. we breathed a sigh of relief as we made reservation earlier. this place has great atmosphere. everybody seemed to having a good time. even though it was crowded, the service was very friendly and prompt. the food was delicious. we ordered 3 dishes and 2 appetizers, and they were all good. this is overall an excellent restaurant. one of the best vegetarian restaurants we have been around the world. well done!

marben
marben

Such a sweet little experience

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2006

The people here are so nice and the vibe is wonderful.
I love the food, everything is really good. Sweet corn cakes & spring rolls especially. I wish there were more dishes without fake meat, though. e.g. the "chicken" curry sauce with veggies or beans with sweet brown rice. However, this place is a regular for my family - who are majority non-vegetarians, and they all love it!
A buffet happens about once a month & it is an awesome way to sample many different types of dishes...YUM
Again, really nice atmosphere and charm. WAY THUMBS UP For an all-vegan restarant. Hurray! (I am getting hungry thinking about their food)

Pros: vegan, great hospitality, amazing food
Cons: hidden on a busy street

Dear Owner and Manager of Padmanadi Vegetarian Restaurant: