La Hoja Verde

Vegetarian food cafe occupying the space of the former Hungry Veggies restaurant and was previously named Pachelle. The menu includes falafel and hummus, veggie burger, soy tacos, vegetable burrito, salads, and french fries; uses dairy. It's on the Chetumal-Cancun road (also known as Avenida Tulum) between Alfa Norte and Osiris Norte, opposite the Municipio de Tulum. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mexican, Western, Fast food
Avenida Tululm (entre Saturno y kukulcan)
Tulum, Mexico 77780
n/a

First Review by saul cups
njoy
njoy

loved the food

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2014

i really enjoyed to eat there, great veggie burger and mexican dishes.

LaPria
LaPria

If she's not kissing in the kitchen ;)

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

Great deep fried food with salad and fries. Also nice juices and vegan deserts. You'll never know whether she's open or not even if you follow her on FB but it's worth checking!

BlisterBlue
BlisterBlue

Almost entirely vegan!

4 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

Listed as vegetarian but this restaurant is actually almost entirely vegan! When speaking with the vegan owner she told us that she would soon remove the few non-vegan ingredients from the menu (a little bit of cheese and yoghurt)
They offer some typical mexican food such as burritos or chili sin carne and they have some vegan desserts as well (carrot cake, brownies & ice-cream for exameple)
The staff is really nice and makes you feel at ease very quickly
The place is REALLY cheap:
For 2 juices, 2 burritos and 2 carrot cakes we only paid 290 pesos!!!
In the restaurant you can also find a little donation box for the local RSPCA which I found quite cool :-)

Pros: Lots of vegan choices, Nice staff, Very good value for money
Cons: Only open from 2pm
  • emerstar emerstar

Dear reviewer, I am very sorry that you were not served that nigh. My father fell critically ill in Ireland and I was called to leave immediately. I did post on Facebook... As I am a one man show Im sure you will understand that I could not respond to everything given the circumstances of our recent closure. Thanks for stopping by and please let me know if you stop by again another time and I would love to give you a burger on the house for your effort.

boruzo
boruzo

Good option!

4 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

Has vegan options. I had a burger and for dessert a ball of cocoa, very spicy and tasty!

• emerstar emerstar

Thank you very much for this wonderful comment. Remember the Cocao truffles are made from love, real cocoa that we roast and toast here in La Hoja Verde, nuts and dates... no sugsar, raw vegan options, gluten free!!!! packs a great punch and are quite filling! Thank you very much again

NickdaSirolo
NickdaSirolo

Oxigen in tulum

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Very small place where you can taste wonderful vegan burgers, falafel, juices and also vegan cakes at reasonable prices.
A breath in Tulum area.

• emerstar emerstar

We really appreciate your comments and are here to serve as a conscious eating option! Save the world one bite at a time!!!!

svensdottir
svensdottir

Hoja Verde

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

Good food, decent price. We had the vegetarian taco and the vegan falafel sandwich with mango salsa. Staff was friendly. Definitely a restaurant that caters to expats and tourists rather than locals. Authentic Yucatecan food is best found elsewhere, but we enjoyed our meal here.

Pros: Good food, Clean, Reasonable price
Cons: Attracts yoga retreat people

Hajduk
Hajduk

Simply amazing!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2013

Don't even bother trying to find another alternative to this one. We ate at a taco place with red walls that had some good vegetarian tacos for 2 nights before someone at the hostel recommended this place. The staff is amazing, I believe the owner is Irish and a super nice guy. He cooked up some of the nicest flavoured vegetarian trip we had during our whole trip in central america. The mexican inspired food was probably the best imo and the ingredients will be different on a day-to-day basis depending on what they have in which is perfect. Definitely worth a visit even for non-vegetarians! Thanks for filling our stomachs.

Pros: Super friendly staff, Tasty and nicely flavoured food
Lamooo
Lamooo

Super vegan food

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

Great value, friendly staff, amazing smoothies (choose your 3 fruit!) and great great food. The humus was splendid and the falafels just superb, i ate here three days on the trot!

Pros: Staff, Value, Choice
JennyBrowne
JennyBrowne

Great Vegetarian Option in Tulum

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

This was the restaurant that I spent most of my days in Tulum eating at. Since it is hard to find good vegetarian options in Mexico, I was delighted to find this lovely cosy restaurant that had many different delicious choices for me to choose from. The falafel plate has to be my favourite....the hummus there is absolutely divine and the falafels, a wonderful recipe which often had me in there for the smaller falafel pita for lunch! The veggie burgers also are superb. I would definitely recommend this tasty little eatery to anyone who is visiting Tulum...vegetarian...OR just checking it out!

Pros: Great Recipes, tasty food, Friendly staff, funky set up, good music, Amazing Smoothies
Cons: Only open from 2pm, Sometimes a wait for the food but fresh
bishopist
bishopist

tatsy and affordable

5 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2013

its great to find veggie food in tulum cos its saturated with fish and meat. this is one of the only veggie places in tulum.
We loved the falafel and the burito.
you have to come here

Pros: food, price
  • emerstar emerstar

Thank you so much, really great support for a start up business spreading conscious eating !

saul cups
saul cups

Good enough

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

Apparently Pachelle was previously known as Hungry Veggie; it is now under new management (owned, I believe, by Joseph, who is from another part of Mexico). I believe some of the mainstays from the Hungry Veggie remain, though, such as the veggie burger and falafel (the spaghetti is gone from the menu). You will also find soy tacos and a veg burrito. Overall, our experience was positive--we ended up eating here probably 4-5 times since we were staying nearby in Tulum. Being vegans, Pachelle really saved us. But I will say that the real highlights were the Mexican-themed items--the tacos and burrito, e.g. The salad also was fantastic. The falafel and hummus, however, lacked flavor and the right 'taste.' The french fries/chips also just didn't seem right. Still, I can't really fault them too much. Pachelle was our saviour in a meat/seafood-heavy town, and it's affordable, too. If you're staying in town, you'll definitely hit Pachelle more than once. Out on the beach, though, head to Restaurare for something _really_ special.

Pros: affordable, friendly staff, only strictly vegan option in Tulum town
Cons: dishes are hit or miss, portions can be on the small side
  • emerstar emerstar

Thanks a million guys, we are very appreciative of your support and thanks for eating here! Long may it continue!

Dear Owner and Manager of La Hoja Verde: