CLOSED: Our Daily Bread

Small Norwalk vegan cafe and store operated by the Seventh Day Adventists. Daily soup specials, regular menu, daily entrees, smoothies. Items such as veggie pockets with tahini sauce, fettuccine alfredo, zucchini patties over brown rice and gravy. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Take-out

First Review by westcornersville
Chia
Chia

Low Key, Vegetarian Food

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2012

Had heard about this place from HappyCow, and here's my Our Daily Bread review.

This shop and veggie food counter has been established for a long time. It's attached to a Seventh Day Adventist building. The shop is small, and there are shelves stocked with packaged cooking ingredients, along with a refrigerator stocking soy ice cream.

The lunch foodstuff is basic and all vegetarian. Vegan friendly.

Pros: nice people, clean, vegan-friendly
Cons: small selection, food is pre-made
Ginita
Ginita

Our Daily Bread-Vegan Deli

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2012

I stopped here for lunch on a work break and service was quick and friendly. I had the cream of broccoli soup and a slice of pizza. Both were flawless. I am not a fan of vegan cheeses, but the cheese on this pizza was more of a ricotta style cheese and was so delicious! I took home a brownie and a cookie which were also superb. Their desserts are all made with fruit juice which made it taste even better than regular sugary desserts. Sandwiches range from $7-10, burgers from $5-7 (oat and tofu burgers and if you like you can purchase a package of them to take home), wraps from $7-9, salads from $5-7, Pizza was 2.65/slice or $17 for a whole pizza (on some days they have tamales instead for $3), Soup of the day depends on the day of the week it is and there are 3 sizes of bowls to choose from: SM $3, M $3.75 and L $4 which comes with a slice of bread, All cookies are 75 cents each and worth every penny, Other desserts range from 85c to $2 and a whole cheesecake is $16. Ice cream cups are $2.50 and they bake their own bread which you can also purchase to take home. Everything is homemade with a list of ingredients on each item so you know exactly what you're getting. I wish I lived closer because I would be in here all the time! Happy Eating!

Cons: quality, great service
michaelaistall
michaelaistall

Incredible, AFFORDABLE, Delicious Vegan Find!

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

This place is too cute and too good to be true! I had come to Norwalk to take care of some business and just googled a vegan place to eat and this popped up! The woman who runs it is so adorable and so gracious and kind! She offers and encourages you to try everything before committing to buying it, and makes everything homemade and with a conscious concern that it is all completely vegan. The lasagna was incredible, so was the pizza. The cookies....everything. The homemade ice cream so was good and one of the best parts was that everything was SO affordable! The ice cream was less than 3 dollars for a container you can take home and it is homemade with high quality ingredients! I ate SO much food and my friend and I bought stuff to take home and the whole bill was 30 bucks. For many pieces of pizza, lasagna, twice baked potatoes, 2 ice creams, corn dogs, cookies, bakery items, drinks... everything. It was so good! I HIGHLY recommend this place and hope you will check it out! It is honestly worth going out of your way for!!! Please support this awesome business!

Pros: Cheap!!! , Homemade, Excellent Service
Cons: None. seriously none.
jennamichelle1
jennamichelle1

Nice little shop

3 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2010

The lady who worked at the counter was extremely friendly, and talked with us for a while. We had the country potato soup which was thick and filling and we ordered extra to take home. The bread was also fresh and good. We tried a few other menu items and strawberry ice cream. They used a lot of cashews in their cooking so we were really full by the end of our meal and didn't come close to finishing. Some of the food was a little bland.

Pros: friendly staff, good bread, delicious potato soup
Cons: bland

Guest
Guest

one of my favorite places to eat!!

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2010

i love the ladies who run the place.they are really nice! the food is delicious!! they have everything vegan! the ice cream is the bomb! there is also products to buy to prepare at home :).ive gone there several times and even got my birthday cake made by them!! just wish it was cheaper, then id go everyday!!

Pros: delicious food, vegan, nice people
Cons: hidden place, pricey
Breana
Breana

Soooo Underrated!!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2009

This place makes their own bread, cheese, mayo, mustard, ketchup, ice cream and two different sandwich/burger patties - one is tofu based and the other is oat based. Plus all soups are made from scratch! Everything is ENTIRELY VEGAN. I bought a deluxe burger (which means that it comes with avocado, cheese & pickles), a large lentil soup & a slice of pizza all for just 12.95! They're all about spreading the love here too - so, not only can you enjoy these homemade fixings at the cafe, you can also purchase cheese, bread & ice cream to take home and make your own sandwiches or veg-out to one of your netflix with a bowl of carob ice cream! The funny thing is that I'm actually in the process of eating that deluxe burger as I write this . . . and, drum-roll please . . . it is motha effing delicious!!! What's more is that it's in NORWALK! Don't get me wrong, I love to trek off to Pure Luck in LA & relax with a tall IPA or Au Lac in Fountain Valley for some peaceful raw indulgence. However, I would much rather support the 'little guys & girls' around my immediate neighborhood who are striving to make vegan and vegetarian cuisine more readily available to everyone. Also, just in case anyone out there is concerned about the religious affiliation of this place (Seventh Day Adventists) - there is a section of bookshelves housing free religious & health based literature, but bottom line everyone is just there to make food or eat food. So, please don't hesitate to stop into this place if you haven't already! I can't believe I've missed out for so long . . .

Pros: homemade condiments, bread & patties!!!, daily rotating soups & entrees, homemade baked goods & ice cream!!!
Cons: polystyrene to-go containers, plastic bags, but just bring your own containers/bags!
iriecat
iriecat

Amazing Food; Great Value

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2009

This is a very low-key establishment and is running as part of a church at no profit to them. The staff is incredibly friendly and all of the food and condiments are made themselves and is all super-healthy (no preservatives, 100% vegan, etc.). The food is absolutely delicious and everything is a sure bargain. Come support a great local deli and bakery and help out the community!

Pros: Healthy, Inexpensive, Home-Made
val
val

Wonderful little VEGAN cafe

5 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2008

This wonderful little vegan cafe is run by Seventh Day Adventists, however they don't promote their religion, or any of their beliefs apart from good, wholesome vegan food.
3 of us ate a very filling meal which included a wonderful soup, the main course, dessert and juice and our bill was about $28. Great value and good food.

I thought the soup was a little low on salt, but it's impossible to satisfy everyone's taste buds where salt is concerned. It's always better to have a little less salt than a little too much salt anyway!

They bake their own bread every Tuesday, and also make all their own desserts including delicious ice-cream and cookies. Vegan cakes are also available when pre-ordered. Most of the ingredients used are organic, too!

The place is small and very unassuming, however the food makes up for the lack of "character". I believe that their religion calls for simplicity and that's probably part of the lack of fancy furniture, or deco, but if you want a place that serves good, reasonably priced, home cooked meals, and wonderful, friendly service, then you won't be disappointed! Do call ahead before going as their hours are a little different from "regular" restaurants. They are closed on the weekend.

Pros: Good food, Great value, VEGAN
Cons: NONE
hot spur
hot spur

Great, Great Vegan Restaurant

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2007

Wonderful 'old fashioned' vegan food, made and served with love, in a peaceful, home-y, light and open and extremely clean space. Lovely, intelligent, elderly women run the restaurant and serve the customers. They showed me some of the famous vegan/vegetarian recipe books they use. As the cook had left for the day when I arrived at 3 p.m. (closing time was 4 p.m. that day), I had the vegetable pie - which is freshly made and is delicious, and the whole grain pastry crust of which is made with nuts instead of refined oil or fat! A portion of pie is two pieces - so you won't go away hungry from here. Also, I had a lovely thick split pea soup, and a delicious fresh green salad. The several types of freshly made vegan salad dressings are wonderful - again no refined oils included, but ground sesame seeds and nuts instead! Then I had their home made vegan ice cream (soy milk based) - a huge portion. I chose the blueberry ice cream. I was certainly very full when I left the restaurant. By the way, the current ingredients label on the tub of their home made ice cream lists a 'gel' ingredient - which, in fact, they don't include in the ice cream any more. They are going to change the ice cream label accordingly, soon. My meal was also excellent value for money - coming to a little over $12, and for all that wholesome food. I just can't wait to go back to this restaurant again. I wish I lived closer. By the way, despite the restaurant being run by the adjacent Seventh Day Adventist Church, there's no pushing of religion whatsoever - just pamphlets about healthy living and eating available to read/take.

Pros: excellent food and good portions, friendly staff, great value
Cons: Too far away from my house
westcornersville
westcornersville

Entrees Good, Desserts Even Better

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2007

I went there for lunch, and they had several entrees and two soups. I had the cream-of-broccoli soup, which was vegan (like everything else there), and I recall cashews being one of the ingredients (possibly what made it creamy). It was very good. (The other soup was a lima bean soup.) The best part was the desserts--they had 7 different types of soy ice cream (I had the blueberry) and numerous pastries, most fruit-juice sweetened. The entrees were OK, though not very spicy.

Pros: great (mostly) sugar-free desserts, healthy, vegan
Cons: entrees not spicy enough

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Our Daily Bread: