Serves meat, veg options available. Restaurant and live music venue (charge may be 2000 yen). Simple and funky, seats 30. Directions: From Hiroshima station take bus 24 and get off at Koseinenkin-kaikan stop, or from Peace Park walk south for 5 minutes. Soy cheese and vegan cake now available. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Tex-Mexican, American, Non-veg

First Review by MicheleFerguson

Nice little restaurant near Peace Park

3 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2014

I revisited this restaurant, after enjoying the experience several years ago when I last visited Hiroshima. The restaurant itself was very quiet, there was only one other customer there in the whole time I was there.

I had the bean enchiladas with vegan cheese, and had a vegan cake for desert. The food was good, but not fantastic. The cheese looked the part, but didn't have the taste or texture I was hoping for. However the novelty of being able to order that kind of food at a restaurant in Japan and have it be vegan, made it be that much more delicious.

I would certainly recommend it to anyone travelling in Hiroshima, but it didn't live up to my overly romanticised memory of the place.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 13, 2014

Pros: Vegan cheese, Vegan cake, Great atmosphere

Funky little place with good Mexican food

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

We had a great dining experience. This is a funky little restaurant and live music venue. the musicians that have played there have left notes and doodles all over the walls. They have some vegetarian dishes which can be modified as vegan by substituting their homemade soy cheese. A while after we ordered, our waiter came out and apologetically told us that they mainly serve Japanese style food during that time and that our Mexican order would take a little longer, probably to explain why other customers were getting their food more quickly. The wait was not particularly long and when the staff noticed us picking through some of the Japanese language manga that they had sitting out, they brought over English language comics for us to read, which was sweet of them.
The food was good. The portions were smaller than I would have expected, especially because I am used to Mexican restaurants in the US which serve far too much food. For example, we ordered some nachos and they were served on a small side plate over a handful of chips. We also had enchiladas and a Mexican pizza (which was largely the same thing as the nachos, served on a crisp baked tortilla instead of over chips). The food was good and the soy cheese was tasty.
They also advertised that they had vegan cake, although we did not try it during our visit.
The restaurant is a short walk up the street from the Peace Memorial Park and museum.

Pros: Good vegan cheese, friendly service, close to Peace Memorial Park

A gem of a restaurant

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

On a day trip to Hiroshima, we wandered down through the Peace Memorial Park and then downtown to find Otis! We'd spotted it on a funky map we picked up in the tourist office, so it was easy to find. The cafe is rough and ready looking, with no airs or graces, and the staff were charming. We were given a jug of iced tap water as soon as we sat down, which was very welcome (it was over 30 degrees outside!), and then given enough time to check the menu before the waitress came back for our order. The veg chili was amazing, spicy and filling, and great value for money.
Update: we came back and it was as good as we remembered, plus they've added a few vegan items to the menu.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 29, 2009

Pros: great value, friendly staff, no fuss

Lovely Mexican!

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

This cafe is very convenient if staying at the J-hoppers in Hiroshima.
I could have eaten more! Both me and my boyfriend went for the veggie set lunch, which was an enchilada, veggie chilli, brown rice and a side salad for 850 yen (What a bargain!)
We were the only people in the cafe but the relaxed atmosphere and music put us at ease, there were meat options too, I bet it would be a good place to go if you were in a group of meat/no meat eaters!
Worth a visit for sure!

Pros: delicious food, unusual in Japan

Little gem with a lot of character!

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

We went to Otis! after a day on the sightseeing trails. It was so easy to find and nearly the entire menu has vegetarian options, such a treat for Japan! They are now making their own soy cheese and offer a vegan cake for dessert too, they are very vegan friendly. It is definitely Mexican food (no Japanese options) but they've been doing it for a long time and they do it well. Atmosphere was fab, the couple that run it love their music and there were awesome tunes playing when we were there. It doubles as a live music venue so keep an eye out for it, definitely recommended!

Nice Mexican Restaurant near Peace Park

3 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2009

A nice Mexican restuarant near Peace Park. We were the only people in the restaurant and it was nice, but if it was busy it would have a great vibe, especially when they have live music. The couple who ran the place were lovely and the food was nice. They had plenty of vegetarian food on the menu and were happy to make vegan food for me.

Nice place

3 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2008

I really enjoyed this place but while it's OK for vegetarians, it's really not suitable for vegans.

It is a really chilled out place with wooden tables and a mix of reggae/jazz music playing. The staff are really relaxed and speak a little English.

It wasn't the best Mexican food I've ever had, but it was pretty decent.

Trendy & Tasty

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

Really really tasty food. Nice atmosphere - really friendly owner who plays music and speaks English. Trendy decor. Wasn't very busy which amazed me - I can't understand why it isn't packed.

Pros: Friendly owner, Tasty food, Trendy decor
  • peasonearth peasonearth

Hi Michele, I found your review very interesting. I lived in Asia for many years, and often found that what I thought was wonderful, most other people didn't like. That went for food, music, and other things.

Dear Owner and Manager of Otis!: