CLOSED: Other Side Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Menu consists of more vegetarian options than meat. Has some raw vegan food and breakfast all day. Vegan items are labeled. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by jlaprade3
VeganPlease
VeganPlease

fun, good place to eat and drink

3 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

Only been twice. I like when its nice out and you can eat outside. Vegan options, good food. Good mimosa. My boyfriend got a coffee that came with the spoon in it, when he took the spoon out there was guac all over it. Yaaa, gross. And to top it off neither one of us had anything with guac. We still went back that second time though with plans to continue.

Pros: good food, outside deck
Cons: busy, dirty silverware
jamber79
jamber79

ok

2 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2011

This was a pretty cool dark bar right off the main strip of the Newbury area. When we came in there was no seating available inside and the upstairs dining area was closed so we had to stand around and wait for a table. Would have been nice if they opened the upstairs since it was busy. Tried to order a delicious sounding buffalo tempeh sandwich, but they were out of temper unfortunately. Ended up getting chili which was good. Saw many people get chili nachos and they looked yummy. Not a bad experience, but not a great one either.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 08, 2011

Petesternz
Petesternz

Second visit better than the first...

3 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2011

ORIGINAL REVIEW: We went there on our recent trip to Boston, and weren't really blown away. We opted for two vegan sandwiches: the BLT (but they were out of bacon and substituted tempeh), and a Buffalo sandwich with tempeh. The latter was abysmal - simply tempeh drowned in chili sauce, and we didn't finish it. The BLT was acceptable, but nothing great. We also had a chocolate chip cookie which was good, but very very sweet. Looks like a fun place, and had good service, but I wouldn't go out of my way for the food.

UPDATE (Aug. 31, 2011): I went back to the Other Side after a game at Fenway, and was pleasantly surprised. My BLT was really tasty on the Marble Rye, and my brother enjoyed his chicken salad, which I tasted as well. Indeed, the three things we ordered were all quite good. Don't think I'd go so far as four cows for this place, but it's a solid 3.5 for sure.

Updated from previous review on Monday April 12, 2010

Pros: Interesting options, fair pricing
sculley
sculley

Healthy vegetarian fare at a great price

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2010

Tuck in to one of their vegetarian wraps with Tofu...THE GOODS! Well priced, great atmosphere, convenient location and friendly staff. Licensed if you fancy a beverage as well ;-)

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly staff, Good value
kwanza
kwanza

Decent bar, but food isn't anything special

3 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2010

Other Side Cafe is more of a bar than a cafe or restaurant. More than half of all items of the menu are vegetarian, many of which are suitable for vegans.

The food was OK; I was more impressed by the great range of alcoholic drinks. It's a relaxed environment with a good music policy - a nice place to hang out.

Pros: Good music, Range of alcoholic drinks
Cons: Not 100% veg, Food nothing special

The Vegan Review
The Vegan Review

• fruititarian

Chill City

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2009

The Other Side has great, amicable servers. The joint is really colorful and original with a lot of local art and music. They're really into the alternative scene. You'll meet a lot of interesting people there, for sure.

Their raw food (the spicy lettuce wraps in particular) is amazing. The mock chicken salad and fruit salad with chocolate mousse was really good. And who can forget the delicious ANZAC cookie, which contains oatmeal, walnuts, and coconut. By far the best vegan cookie I've tasted yet. I definitely have plans to go back.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food
Cons: pricey, noisy
sarai
sarai

Awesome hangout, awesome food

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2009

This place is perfect for twenty-somethings and those young at heart looking for fantastic food in a great atmosphere. My first experience there was when I was still a meat-eater, and I loved the food, the beer selection, and the laid-back experience.

Yes, it's loud - it's a bar/cafe. IMO, it's a really great place to go with friends or with a date if you're in the mood for something fun and casual.

When I decided to go Vegan, the Other Side was at the top of my list for places to eat out - they are super Veg-friendly, and everything (at least everything I've had, and I've definitely had my run of the menu..) is delicious and prepared to order.

Note: It's a perfect setting to introduce your omnivorous friends to the glories of veg-eating. It's a cool, totally unassuming place, and the experience proves that vegan food is not only normal, it can be downright stellar.

Pros: great, varied food, yummy beer selection!, laid-back, fun atmosphere
Cons: smokers outside
sb
sb

Great place to go with anyone! Should be 5 stars!

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2009

This place had so many vegan options and plenty of them were raw too! Almost anything could be made vegan. I had the beet and carrot raw chips with raw macadamia nut spread and it was DELICIOUS. Honestly, I would definitely go back to this place and the staff was friendly as well. Great selection of teas like oolong, and they even have vegan BLT's! Good selection of vegan desserts too, so this is truly one stop shopping!

Pros: delicious food, creative selection, lots of raw and vegan!
feorag
feorag

Flexible late night option

3 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2009

The Other Side is basically a loud rock bar with good, solid bar food including vegetarian, vegan and raw options. As far as I can tell, food is served until about 1am. It's located just over the road from the entrance to the Hynes T station.

I decided to be Naughty, and had the black bean burrito, which contains cheese. I'm used to these things being made up in advance, especially in bars, and I didn't expect that it would be made to order. It would easily be made vegan, so next time I will ask them to do so, assuming they can hear my request.

My partner, not being veggie, went for an omelette, which he decreed had been cooked to perfection and done properly - he's fussy about his omelettes and doesn't get them too often due to living with me.

I also had my second dessert of the trip - a vegan chocolate mint cake - and too much beer, making me a happy bunny indeed. My partner, intrigued, tried the peanut butter and banana smoothie but found it too thick to drink easily. I think that's what he said, anyway.

Pros: food made to order, fantastic beer range, vegan cake
Cons: loud, sorry, I didn't catch that, I said LOUD!
capybara
capybara

Great Summer Hangout

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

This place is part juice bar, part gourmet health fare, and part bar. It is great after a day of shopping on newbury to cross the street from the hectic shop atmosphere to retreat to a relaxed, creative hang out. The food is delicious and kind of like upscale healthy pub food. Beer is fresh and wait staff is friendly but quick.

Pros: Atmosphere/Patio, Healthy Comfort Food, Beer
Cons: Dark Inside, Lingering Customers, Quality Slightly Unpredictable
jlaprade3
jlaprade3

Probably won't go back

2 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2008

The food was pretty good, but the restaurant was dirty. They also allowed smoking outside so unless you don't mind smoke in your face, I suggest you sit inside. They offer raw food, which was a bonus.

Pros: Raw food options
Cons: Smokers outside, Dirty

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Other Side Cafe: