Mostly ovo-lacto veggie food. Salad bar is self-serve and priced by weight. Breakfast food til 11am, then salad bar and main dish and soup 12-10pm. Offers Sunday brunch. Free W-Lan. In 2014 opened The Vegan Garden next door. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, International, Western, Salad bar, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take out
Venloer Strasse 5-7 (Friesenplatz)
Cologne, Germany 50672
+49-2218000581

Open Mon-Thur, Sun 8am-10:30pm, Fri-Sat 8am-12am.

• Cash only

First Review by Mar

Fresh, tasty varied food but not enough vegan

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2014

This restaurant is really nicely located, city centre and beside the lovely Stadtgarten and it itself is built around its own garden so it is a really pleasant place to go. There are lots of things going on in this centre, lots of posters for different yoga groups and hugging evenings and stuff because it is connected to the controversial Osho. Back to the food though, the staff are very helpful when it comes to finding vegan stuff amongst their veggie selection. As far as I am aware, the salad bar is almost always mostly vegan so you can build yourself a lovely plate from all the different things they have on offer but they only have a warm vegan entree once or twice a week. The people are really friendly though and it is a nice place to go so definitely recommended.

Please put more vegan options

3 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

Osho's has a great atmosphere and very tasty food. Although there were times I went and couldn't order any of the entrees, because they weren't vegan. I would still recommend Osho's though. The prices are mid-range.

Pros: Atmosphere
Cons: Not enough vegan fare

Good vegetarian German food

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

My wife and I ended up going here twice during our weekend trip to Cologne in December 2010. They have good vegetarian versions of German food to give you the chance to try something "German" aside from sides of saurkraut and potatoes. Plenty of seating was available. A number of the salads were vegan as well, though not sure about main dishes.

Loved it!

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

I went here for lunch; great selection and the staff helped me out when my German failed me. I'll definitely be going back.

Pros: Quick, Excellent value, Good choice
Cons: Busy

Good brunch

4 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2011

We didn't know where to have a lunch on Sunday before We leave Koln at 15p.m. Some how we chose this place and it was a good place to go. We arrived there around 14.15. The buffet was not big, but there were some vegan options available. The food was delicious and healthy, there was also a good choice of smoothies, vegan yohurts-desserts. Few rooms to sit. When we were leaving I saw that the chef was changing buffet, like he took away soy and tofu and added some vegetable cuts. May be if we would arrive at that time, I woudn't be happy to eat only cold vegetables before the trip.
Staff was helpful, the place was also not noisy and clean.

Pros: Sunday brunch, smoothies, 5 min from metro
Cons: not hot vegan

No WiFi Anymore

3 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2011

It's the best of a bad bunch in Cologne. The prices are certainly not cheap, the atmosphere is tainted by the scent of "superiority" of the people who go there as part of the Osho crowd, in case you don't know, Osho followers used to be called the Orange people or Rajneeshis, so be very careful if you do any of their courses, unless you are brainwash proof. They don't push their Osho addiction at your table, they instead dangle little carrots to get you to do their courses and then the indoctrination starts. The food is good but not cheap, the staff can be very unfriendly and aloof, like most guru followers.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 16, 2010

Pros: Handy, Good food
Cons: Unfriendly, Sureriority complex of Osho followers, No WiFi
  • chizlit chizlit

I didn't find this to be the case, the staff were very friendly to me, and as a non German speaker went out of there waay to explain what was on the menu.
    I also didn't get any pressure from anyone to do their courses.
    I had several very enjoyable meals there on a number of visits to Koln.

• Zmeika Zmeika

I found staff very friendly (especially when they were explaining what was vegan). Yes, it is the Osho's place, but I didn't feel any superiority, I would say opposite, people were open and polite. Yes, some of them use strange clonth, for me it was fine. In fact if they would have some sessions of Yoga in English, probably I woul try it, this center seems to be a good spot.

Basically good vege

4 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2010

I noted comments in another review about religeous influence prior to our visit. Very accurate! Good for lunches. Good soups. Wide selection of salad items - pay by weight. We also went one Friday evening where the place was packed out as everyone came for a pleasant vege Thali priced at 12 euros.

Pros: Good basic food
Cons: eggs used ?

Not my style...

2 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2010

Hmm a little bit exspensice and not that delicious for me .. vegan opportunities are rare ... .

Pros: -, -, -
Cons: Price, Opportunities, Meals

Pretty good

3 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2010

As mentioned, most of the food is vegetarian, not vegan. Still, it doesn't cost too much as long as you don't pile your plate high with food. The food was fairly good, pretty typical veg buffet and the kind of stuff that wouldn't be too difficult to make at home. Overall it was good for a quick lunch but nothing too impressive. I didn't have the daily special, though, and it was quite popular.

Pros: non-smoking, healthy
Cons: mostly not vegan, by weight

not vegan friendly

2 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2009

There are not usually vegan dishes here. But its all vegetarian. I went there.. they said the vegie burger was vegan but had egg, soup was vegan but it had ghee and soup was vegan but had cream.. so we did not eat here.. seems there are usually not vegan meals here. They offered potatoes and steamed vegies...

Pros: good for vegetarians
Cons: no vegan choices, seems expensive

Great atmposphere makes up for the food

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2009

OK, so maybe not gourmet food on offer here but there's an excellent choice (better if you get there early) and the atmposphere is wonderful. There are usually 2 main courses (one is normally vegan) and plenty of vegetables and sauces to accompany them as well as a large salad choice and a soup of the day (which was not vegan on the day we went - cream of broccoli)

There are lots of seats and cosy places to chill out as well as a bar area at the rear. It's a great meeting place to have a snack and drink and gets busy later on in the evening. My only gripe is that I'd rather pay for everything together at the end rather than as and when you get it from the serving area.

This place is going to sneak into my all time top 10 I think so it must be good. I wouldn't put just any old place in there. It's located in a fabulous bustling area just off Friesenplatz and there's a Basic Bio shop just a few yards up the road on the same side opposite the Stadtgarten on Venloer Stasse.

Pros: prices, atmosphere, food
Cons: cannot pay at end

The unfriendliest Veggie Restaurant in Germany

2 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2009

As there are no other vegan-friendly restaurants to find in Köln, we decided to have a Sunday meal there. Waitress could not tell which food was vegan, was very unfriendly, was speaking to us like dumbs, and then she offered us cooked rice and beans as vegan couisine. We left without eating.

zen place

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2009

nice ambiance with the windows facing a little yard and a zen shop next door. big place with plenty seats, even at dinner hour, you can always find a table for 3-4.
salad bar is excellent, big choice, great taste. also herb teas and non sugar cokkies are not bad ,of course there are coffees and sugar cakes too. well about the main course its a little heavy, not vegan, i think some of them are with butter or cheese. taste good but a little salty, maybe its a genaral taste in germany, because i saw some germans at the table adding more salt to the dish that i thought were too salty . daily soups delicious. main course changes every day. veggie burger or stew+noodle or rice(i had lunch&supper there during 4-5 days)
reasonable price, salad paid by WEIGHT , main course 2 prices: full size plate or half size(smaller) plate. very scientific and no waste. a good german habit i guess, you don't see that so much in france or italy :-) it's perfect for people who don't eat much but want a complete blanced meal with salad and main course, soup etc.
and i liked the fresh mint leaves in hot water, tastes like a green tea and really good for digest.
someone mentioned that no english spoken, but they did speak english while i was there, with limited vocabularies (me too:-D) &friendly.

Pros: big confortable place , nice food big choice, reasonable price
Cons: some of the hot dishes a bit heavy
Guest
Guest

Delicious

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2007

Had lunch at Osho's twice this past week and enjoyed the pleasant atmosphere and fresh healthy food. Chose the soup of the day - Spinach & Coconut with an assortment of salads. Self service buffet was a delight after experiencing general appalling service at other venues around Cologne. The outdoor on street tables are great to relax in the shade during the recent humid hot weather.

beautiful food and place

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2007

This place is excellent, the food, the environment and the price-quality ratio. I love the special nights, like the Thai night on Friday, don't miss out on this. There is a buffet with many possibilities, several menus, yummy desserts... and great Bionade, a refreshing organic German drink. I would recommend this place to anyone!

Pros: excellent food, nice staff, good value
Cons: sometimes packed, sometimes noisy, -

Dear Owner and Manager of Osho's Place: